Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Royal Bank of Canada President and Chief Executive Officer Gordon M. Nixon

Gordon M. Nixon

Pros
  • Work/life balance- Flexibility in terms of taking time off and family emergency(in 21 reviews)

• Good work environment here -many of the staff are career focused and want to move up(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management can be all over the place sometimes(in 10 reviews)

• Very difficult to move up if you do not have any connections(in 5 reviews)

Great Internship

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Hamilton, ON (Canada)

ProsFantastic work environment. Lots of opportunity to be exposed to different projects.

ConsCan sometimes get dull, but that depends on whether you're interested in the products/services offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

The people make the difference!

Investment & Retirement Planner (Current Employee)

ProsWhen I began looking for a job in banking, with the ultimate goal of becoming a financial planner, I literally walked into branches of the 5 major banks to pick up brochures, check things out. I came away with the impression that all of the banks are pretty much the same. After working at RBC for 10 years, I can tell you that there is a difference that RBC has, and it's that the overall quality of people working there is just that one level higher than those of other banks. Many times I've met new co-workers that came to us from various competitors and I always ask what the other bank's culture is like, why'd they change, etc....almost without fail the other person, after working at RBC for a while, believes they are in a much better organization that where they came from. I remember speaking to one individual that left RBC to take a promotion at another bank, and he told me that "If you're average at RBC, you're a superstar here." That pretty much says it all!

ConsI find a very low level of engagement amongst probably the single largest employee group, our front-line customer service team (tellers). Turnover is constant which I guess is expected for an entry-level position, but I often wonder is a serious attempt was made to pay top $ to really outstanding people for those roles, if you wouldn't get a more engaged group that would opportunity-spot like crazy and make referrals to partners....they have such a huge opportunity to contribute to the success of our clients that goes far beyond what I perceive is happening now.

Advice to Senior ManagementComputer systems are behind the times compared to what I've heard elsewhere....the ability to track referrals and for our account managers to get credit for them is ridiculous, and while the sales pipeline tool introduced a few years back is good, it doesn't go nearly far enough and unfortunately changing these systems moves ahead at glacial speed.

yes ok

IRP Royal Bank (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Proswell clean company good to have a longterm

Consnot so flexble on shcedule

Advice to Senior Managementgood teamwork and share

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked 8 and half years retired in January 2014. You did not have that year in your files

Private Banker Officer (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsIt is a very solid bank. Worked in private banking for a period fo 20 years with same executive. Would like to go back to work but not in private banking. My immediate superior can be contacted any time for references. Presently in Europe will return June 6, 2014.

ConsThere is always training and I love the personal contact with the client. Have developed beautifu relatonships with them. You become part of a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone to make a comment. They know exactly what they have to do.

Solid company to work for, provides good benefits, options to work from home and flexible schedule (depending on mgr)

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsWell known, stable, career options, various banking perks

ConsBureaucratic, raises are hard to come by, Semi-annual layoffs, Training budget isn't available unless you push

Awesome!

Account Service Agent (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsSalary, people, office culture, opportunities

ConsPressure, changes in some software

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing that great job

IT analyst co-op

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosco-workers are good to you, willing to help

Constoo much hierarchical structure as typical big organization

great

Prosgood manager good environment great

Conslow rate low exposure to outside

Advice to Senior Managementvery good

Process related

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee motivation, career growth, organization culture.

ConsThey do not have any....

Prob the best employer in Canada

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvery knowledgeable but easy going co-workers

Conssometimes the job pressure is very high

Worked for Royal Bank of Canada? Contribute to the Community!