Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Royal Bank of Canada President and Chief Executive Officer Gordon M. Nixon

Gordon M. Nixon

Pros
  • Work/life balance- Flexibility in terms of taking time off and family emergency (in 21 reviews)

• Good work environment here -many of the staff are career focused and want to move up (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management can be all over the place sometimes (in 10 reviews)

• Culture terrible, Capital markets management very much old boys club with no consideration for work life balance or listening to their staff (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Structure

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsMost people working at RBC are older professionals so you can learn from their experience.

ConsVery conservative and unfair in promotions. Doesn't matter about your performance.. it's about if your manager likes you or not. I would not recommend this place to young professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better career opportunities to the university recent graduates.

horrible

Prosnone, just the fact that i have a job

Consbenefits arent good enough; work hours suck

My experience with RBC was overall awful. They tend to be friendly to clients but treat their employees poorly

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Prossalary was above average about 40k per year but trust me it is not worth it

ConsHostile environment , Managers do not appreciate employees and treat like robots

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you like working 80hrs a week, RBC is for you

Financial Planner (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsBenefits, RBC on your resume

ConsEverything else. If you want to work like a dog for a company that in the end couldn't care less about you....this is the right place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's more to life than doing what ever it takes to get your bonus.

Not good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary is not bad to start

ConsManagement and upper management offer no support

former robot

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Prosbenefits started as soon as you were hired

Conseverything else...at the call center. They made it seem as if you were not cold calling clients by stating you are just simply trying to discover their needs and find out if "anything has changed in their life financially". Total garbage..

Advice to Senior Managementrelax its not that serious...

Would rather be a drug mule

Senior Technical Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsClose to lots of restaurants

ConsLow pay, high stress, few people to do the work of many. Like the title says, it would be less stressful and more rewarding being a drug mule.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to properly manage people and retain talent instead of just worrying about your own career

By far, the worst company I have ever worked for. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere really isn't a pro working for RBC. I had heard the word on the street about how terrible of a company it is to work for, but took the position anyways. Worst decision. Anyone that comes from another bank or financial institution to work for RBC, always goes back to their original bank/FI.

Cons-very poor salary (required to do MUCH more than salary equates to)
    -bad management
    -company is very us, us, us focused.. employee is just a #.. employees mean nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers or promote people to managing positions based on merit and natural aptitude to manage people, not who can kiss the best a***. Perhaps some management training, quarterly manager reviews done by employees, etc.

call center royal direct

Royal Direct Call Center (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Prosthere is nothing good about this company - the pay is below par and the working hours are long - everything is timed and you are constantly monitored like a hawk

Cons-low pay - long hours - stressful- no help from upper level management - such a high turn over rate and very mean associates

Advice to Senior Managementget educated on the corporate culture and be nicer treat others with respect

Caged Animal

Sales and Service Representative (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros*Good colleagues (the ones who actually work, and are not busy kissing their bosses' behind).

Cons*Very poor salary (considering billions in profits)
    *Team Leaders are horribly under-qualified, only way to move up is if you do a lot of sucking up. Qualifications don't matter.
    *In SSG (Royal Direct), Team Leaders follow you to the bathroom, follow you on your breaks, ask overly personal questions, and are all on major power trips.
    *They have a special Team that is managed by a Team Leader who is responsible for firing as people as possible from that team. He or She is rewarded for terminating these positions.
    *Advisory Group is especially useless, don't waste your time.
    *Benefits suck - $50 per pay cheque is not a good deal. Just making insurance companies richer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your hardest working staff like actual human beings.

Worked for Royal Bank of Canada? Contribute to the Community!