Royal Bank of Canada

Updated September 18, 2014
3.5

Royal Bank of Canada President and Chief Executive Officer Gordon M. Nixon
Gordon M. Nixon

Pros
  • Work/life balance- Flexibility in terms of taking time off and family emergency (in 21 reviews)

• Good work environment here -many of the staff are career focused and want to move up (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management can be all over the place sometimes (in 10 reviews)

• Culture terrible, Capital markets management very much old boys club with no consideration for work life balance or listening to their staff (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Rank Amateurs

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Royal Bank of Canada

Pros

RBC has a sound balance sheet and is growing in a down market.

Cons

Management (especially atthe functional and operational level) a joke. Latest strategy has resulted in a cadre of outsiders being brought in who are firing incumbents and replacing with their friends.

Management should realize that they fell into this current growth/opportunity phase due to the financial meltdown in 2008. Had that not occurred, they would still be a mid level player in NY. Mgmt in NY is out of control, they laugh at Toronto.

Grwoing Company with Oportunity

Current Employee - Manager WFM  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager WFM in New York, NY

I have been working at Royal Bank of Canada

Pros

The bank is doing extremely well as canadian banks have been insulated from the US real estate market
    The is alot of opportunity for movement within the bank

Cons

Hours can be long as RBC attempts to compete with the top tier with some ground to make up in systems and initiatives that need to be implemented

Focus should be given to those who make real chnage and should be supported by their management team as opposed to making political plays

RBC NY

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Royal Bank of Canada

Pros

stable financials, significant growth and opportunity if culture can be navigated successfully.

Cons

no cohesive culture in the US and regions operate in silos, which can be frustrating. ambition and drive not highly valued attributes.

more communication with employees - formal and informal.
    develop a core cultural message to deliver for new hires outside of canada.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

I have been working at Royal Bank of Canada

Pros

RBC is a great place to meet life long friends. Teamwork is always there and management has a great open door policy.

Cons

I would like management to be more open with the direction of the company.

Be more open with the direction of the company.

Canadian Goldman Sachs is irrelevant since there is no competitiion in Canada

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Royal Bank of Canada

Pros

Compensation was okay but performance metrics always changed. Generally a user friendly work environment.

Cons

Canadians in senior US positions rarely understood US market. Promotions were arbitrary and had little to do with performance. Politics got in the way of common sense.

Hire more competetent managers. Have more transparent compensation and promotion policies. Replace Canadians that don't add value in the US.

Poor Management

Former Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Rocky Mount, NC
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Rocky Mount, NC

I worked at Royal Bank of Canada

Pros

Money was good/ competitive because they were so close to Raleigh but still in a small city. Decent bonus structure, too.

Cons

About 80% of USA IT staff were contractors. Very high turnover of regular staff. People constantly moving around because nowhere was good for settling. Management was the reason, poor management all around. Highly political and they expected you to work the same hours as contractors who were getting paid hundreds by the hour.

I would recommend that RBC management look closely at where the talent is and work very hard to keep it. Also recognize the need for a work life balance.

Weak management in the US

Current Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Royal Bank of Canada

Pros

Not a bad place in the current environment on
    Wall Street

Cons

Weak management. Management does not effectively communicate performance measures and changes them to suit the need at bonus. Management does not effectively communicate financial details of the business but focuses on the good news of 1 or 2 good thing- not the entire picture. Feel like management is more interested in protecting their job than anything else. Very political. If you are not part of the club you can expect nothing good.

Communicate honestly and openly. Listen to everyone and not the chosen 2-3.

Strong company with few hiccups is worth working for.

Current Employee - Relationship Banker  in  Southern Pines, NC
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Southern Pines, NC

I have been working at Royal Bank of Canada

Pros

RBC is a very sound financial institution with many different products to offer. This lends itself to also having many job growth opportunities. The people are generally friendly and very helpful. I find that, for the most part, clients leave happy and are starting to spread the word in our area about our service. There is a very strong emphasis on placing the goals of the client as a number one priority. As with all sales roles, there are minimum expectations for mystery shops. Beyond that, there is an open door we can walk through to make each client interaction unique. All-in-all, RBC Bank is poised to be a strong choice when seeking employment.

Cons

some miscommunications about expectations, frustrations when researching items that were more easily found when worked with competitor bank

Please advise with a clear, consistent message on what needs to be accomplished and continue to coach openly with employees

Good place to work

Former Employee - Investment Banking Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Royal Bank of Canada

Pros

Best place I've ever worked. Enjoyed most of the people I worked with. Compensation and benefits were good. Company affords people the opportunity to demonstrate their capabilities, particularly compared to many other investment banks.

Cons

Brand recognition is not what it is for other firms or what it could/should be. It is unfortunate, because I've worked at more "name brand" banks where the people were highly incompetent and where the work was poor - at RBC the brand recognition isn't as good, but I felt the people and the work we did was significantly better than at other "name brand" banks.

No significant feedback for senior management.

Good

I worked at Royal Bank of Canada

Pros

Good place to work. very nice.

Cons

Some people are crazy and can't work with

Worked for Royal Bank of Canada? Contribute to the Community!