Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Royal Bank of Scotland Group Chief Executive Ross McEwan

Ross McEwan

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance is fair and constant monitoring of your growth as an individual here"
    in 151 reviews
  • "Nice work environment at Stamford CT, state of the art building and work spaces"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is pathetic for some departments"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Commute, Poorly managed areas and senior management constantly change gears"
    in 27 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Change and more change.

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsThere's a lot of work to be done to put the business back on track, so there are plenty of opportunities for personal growth/development. Leadership is strong in certain areas.

ConsLots of uncertainty for the future of the business. Press indicates significant downsizing is possible. Has been subject of negative press for the last 5 years and will no doubt be the subject of negative press for years to come. Hard company to be proud of working for.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery year it feels like the strategy is changing - make significant changes and get it right, instead of lots of small strategic shifts that have little/no overall impact.

Bank that is not doing too well- lookong ahead to shave about a fourth of the workforce

ProsGood people, good buildings and facilities

Consoutmoded technology, poorly run organization, constantly getting fined for legal and procedural violation, constantly bleeding money. threat from the parliment in UK, means bad bank with no pay increases, bonus or any acknowledgement of merit.

Good comp ,vague leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscomp, benefits, hours, location, employees

Consmanagers, workload, work vs life balance

Advice to Senior Managementtake initiative, do not be so politically correct

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pass on this place if your motivated...

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Stamford, CT

Pros- vacation time; other benefits
    - office location if you live in conn or nearby in ny

Cons- uk power centric and very political and bureaucratic. Change is not simple and voice from other regions is not heard or executed on.
    - separation of bonus compensation between have's(each business line and its staff, senior management across all lines) and have-nots (finance, operations, IT, etc..) which results in low morale and unmotivated people
    - people leaving and slots are not filled and responsibilities absorbed to already stretched staff or hiring more poorly skilled and unmotivated individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease go ahead and break up the company and let investment bank actually be an investment bank so it can be competitive. Otherwise you will continue to see people leaving and no one talented coming back...

Good place to start

ProsDay to day is good, work-life balance is a plus,

ConsConstantly donwsizing, restructuring
    Commute to Stamford is not ideal

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency and stability would go a long way in satisfying employees

Disappointing experience

Stamford, CT

ProsOffice location and some of the people

ConsNo room for advancement. People are not encouraged to grow. Not a good place for someone who is motivated.

Sinking Ship

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe employee benefits are really good, but that is about all

ConsManagement is terrible, no vision. The analogy of the Titanic sinking and the crew organizing the deck chairs is very fitting for this company. I have not received a raise or a bonus since I started.

Not a lot of room for growth. Most of the management is in Stamford and not a lot of promotion opportunities in SLC.

Tax Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat work-life balance. I never worked more than 40 hours per week. Good time off and new parent leave benefits.

Consmanagement is all in stamford

Not sure company knows their strategy, unless strategy is to be owned by British taxpayers forever

Associate (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsCasual dress. Though if one is picking the bank they work at based on the dress code, are they sure they want to work at a bank?

Consconcentration on personal fiefs instead of big picture.

Poor management communication. For example, a firmwide communication on process improvement indicated stated goal was to reduce the size of the work force. Nothing like empowering employees to get rid of their jobs. I guess that could be considered a way to engender loyalty and get the most out of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is now six years post crisis, execute on a clear strategy to get out from under taxpayer ownership.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork-life balance is really good.

ConsThey moved to very congested location, which wasted a lot of commute time.

Worked for Royal Bank of Scotland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Royal Bank of Scotland reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Royal Bank of Scotland CEO Ross McEwan. All 654 reviews posted anonymously by Royal Bank of Scotland employees.