Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Royal Bank of Scotland Group Chief Executive Ross McEwan

Ross McEwan

Pros
  • Work-life balance is fair and constant monitoring of your growth as an individual here(in 159 reviews)

• Nice work environment at Stamford CT, state of the art building and work spaces(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is pathetic for some departments(in 16 reviews)

• Commute, Poorly managed areas and senior management constantly change gears(in 27 reviews)

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork-life balance is really good.

ConsThey moved to very congested location, which wasted a lot of commute time.

Sinking Ship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe employee benefits are really good, but that is about all

ConsManagement is terrible, no vision. The analogy of the Titanic sinking and the crew organizing the deck chairs is very fitting for this company. I have not received a raise or a bonus since I started.

Career dead end

Vice President (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsThere are a lot of nice and quality people there.

ConsVery depressing culture. Morale is awful and getting worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like professionals and don't just offer bonuses to the few; this creates a dual class org structure - the haves and the have nots

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Risk Management

Vice President (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsThe Bank has a very good group of people, but it is losing them to the competition as it is failing to keep up with compensation. (4 Years without bonus and salary increase)

ConsNo Annual salary increase
    No bonus
    No promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your people or keep watching them walk out the door......

Software Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood salaries and benefits, good work life balance

ConsLow hikes, too much bureaucracy

Supportive culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSenior managers are approachable. There is mentoring program as well

ConsSometimes things are slow to be done. And you could not find the person you want.

Government ownership affecting Morale and Comp and in fine it's a negative drag on personal dev. and quality of work

Associate (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsRelatively High Base Salary. Good presence in the fixed income and wholesale markets which offers an edge in client relationships.

ConsLow morale, teamwork or focus on developing junior members. Low to nonexistent bonus. Reverse commute to Stamford (total of 2hrs a day).

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher focus on personal and career development of Analysts, Associates and VPs. Break down of bureaucracy barriers. More morale boosting initiatives, and more focus on clients and revenue generation / synergy creation to balance out the flooding of new compliance initiatives.

What a joke

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsA paycheck that doesn't bounce.

ConsExtreme bureaucracy, no career development, senior leadership disconnected with what is really happening, and no long term goals

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the reporting structures, empower your employees and walk the walk instead of just talk about it.

I worked with a great group of professionals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity to be exposed to new projects and new ideas. Easy to take a leadership role and get feedback on performance.

ConsThe culture does not encourage decision making. There are far too many hoops and processes to jump through for the simplest of decisions.

I was a summer analyst in corporate finance/capital markets area in their U.S. headquarters.

Summer Analyst (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsCan make descent money, great hours compared to other investment banks,

ConsIn stamford ct., don't do much advising pretty much just provide financing, not terribly interesting people

Worked for Royal Bank of Scotland? Contribute to the Community!