Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Royal Bank of Scotland Group Chief Executive Ross McEwan

Ross McEwan

Pros
  • Work-life balance is fair and constant monitoring of your growth as an individual here(in 159 reviews)

• Nice work environment at Stamford CT, state of the art building and work spaces(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is pathetic for some departments(in 16 reviews)

• Commute, Poorly managed areas and senior management constantly change gears(in 27 reviews)

Lack of clear direction

Too Specific (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsGood name to have on your resume
    Good professionals, coworkers

ConsDwindling bonuses
    Dependency on UK Tax Payers' sensitivity
    The bank is driving talented people and key SMEs away

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I say this, I could be identified, so I won't say it until I am somewhere else.

Don't recommend

Accountant (Former Employee) Bridgeport, CT

ProsVery large international company, lots of room to move around to other opportunities. Many friends were able to be relocated from Connecticut to Atlanta within the companies.

ConsVery bearucratic, back stabbing to get to the top. Typical big company corporate culture where you can't speak up against your manager without your job being on the line even if what you had to say would help improve things.

Good bank gone bad

Director (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsNice work environment at Stamford CT, state of the art building and work spaces. Excellent Gym and cafeteria @ work. Good company with a lot of charity & volenteer work. Work place is a conveniently across from the train station.

ConsBad management moves of outbidding to buy the bad bank ABN Amro, and other bone headed acts like the Libor scandal has doomed the bank. Dont expect to see a bonus or a pay rise for years and years to come, unless you sign with a signup agreement. Will be 85% owned by the British goverment and have no real freedom to act as a commercial bank for a very very long time,

Advice to Senior ManagementScrewed up a real good bank with top management greed and short sightedness

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review the Associate Position at RBS

Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsRBS is an internaltional bank that offers opportunities around the world. The bank itself has been through a great deal, but has still committed itself to its products. The working environment there was funa dn friendly. The people at RBS were tremendous.

ConsRBS has been around the industry for many years. Prior to the ABN merger it was regarded as one of the safest banks. However, due to its history many bankers have grown up with the company. Therefore, many bankers have been there for years, and the bank is not top heavy. With the downturn of the economy these bankers have decided to stay on longer. The growth opp at RBS is limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a better path to your junior staff.

VP in Human Resources

ProsWork life balance is better than most big banks in the industry

ConsBeing in the region means that often your the last to know, since the UK doesn't like to collaborate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, don't always just go to the market you have great talent in the bank.

Good company, future growth story hindered.

Director (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsEntrepreneurial Spirit, seasoned professionals can excel in a more relaxed environment.

ConsInstitutional inertia hindering growth currently.

Horrible place to work at. People cannot leave quick enough

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsBenefits are ok.
    Office in Stamford is nice. Cafeteria offers a large variety of food for breakfast and lunch, not cheap but quality is ok.

ConsAtmosphere is toxic. People are just waiting to be fired or to find a new job outside RBS. If the job market was better the building would be empty.
    Bank is basically run by the UK government and it shows.

ok

Director (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

Prosreasonable working hours, lay back,

Consreward not to link your performance

So So. It was ok

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosnice and sweet people. Supportive co-workers

Consprefer outside talent. Limited opportunity

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Positive corporate culture & flat organizational approach

Summer Analyst (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

Prosthere is a great environment and culture

Consnot the best to commute from NYC

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Royal Bank of Scotland? Contribute to the Community!