Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland Group Chief Executive Ross McEwan

Ross McEwan

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful place to work

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe company invests a lot in employees' development and training. Managers are great - friendly and helpful, real experts in their area, leading others by their own example.

ConsHaven't found anything negative. Brilliant experience all in all, great colleagues and wonderful place to work.

The people are doing their best but the company is a zombie.

Head of Products (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe retail bank is definitely headed in the right direction and for years has been headed by well intended senior managers. NatWest is still a strong brand and many Customers are very loyal.

ConsThe culture just can't seem to move forward. The meddling from the government means that the bank is over capitalised but that leaves it without any ability to lend. There is constant cost cutting and the technology is ancient.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out the middle management. Those who are left are the definition of average.

"Good to Great" was on old slogan. The reality is "great to horrendous".

Senior Developer (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsIn the past we worked hard for our customers, there was great teamworking and we were rewarded fairly well. Recently the only good points for me were being paid, working within walking distance from home and school.

ConsHardly anyone left with banking or technology/system experience. The managers don't care about their staff or working environment, they only work out what they need to do to get the biggest pay rise or promotion. The majority definitely don't care about customers. They rely on poorly paid staff in India who are stressed out and haven't a clue what they are doing. I worked there for 24 years and only in the last 2 did I come across bullying, blackmail, no trust, people lying.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew high flyers can bring fresh enthusiasm to a place but they must listen to the older, wiser staff. They must learn to listen to staff and always stand up for their team. Remember the bank used to be a great place to work. It will only get back there when they use the little experience that they have left. I may have left but I still no people that work there and see the state they are in.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Banking Advisor

Direct Banking Advisor (Former Employee)

Prosthe role gives Flexible Hours, good Overtime

Consit is a call center role,very repetitive, mundane

Could have been better.

Fraud Analyst (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe recruitment process was not strenuous and you had a feeling that they genuinely wanted you there. You get exposed to a whole gamut of financial products and services. The buzz around the office was great and colleagues were never too busy to help if you needed pointers. The system was undergoing a transition when I got in-following the GFC- and a lot of the processes were being modified, especially in relation to company values and opportunities for personal growth.

ConsThe induction training was wholly inadequate and unrealistic. Quite a lot of the day to day challenges were not adequately captured by the training and some aspects were, frankly, without relevance to your job role and seemingly over-emphasized. Also staff seemed very tense and under tremendous pressure to deliver.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many filters between the junior staff and top management. The disillusionment on the lower levels translates into poor service for clients and high staff turnover. Managers seemed more inclined to protect and enhance their reputations than invest time in managing for positive results. Hence they seemed more pleased to catch people out than be concerned that things weren't being done right and changing the mentality.

Good

Sales Analyst (Current Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Prosoffice locationAlthough in a memorandum to staff on Friday he played down the likelihood of his announcing major redundancies, the actions that are announced will, in time, lead to RBS’s headcount moving below 100,000 for the first time since it bought NatWest in 2000.

Conswholesale were out of kilter with what he is trying to achieve.
    He is likely to cut middle-management layers, however, and unveil a major investment in technology to help the bank regain the confidence of its customers following a series of techn

Advice to Senior Managementpromotions

Poor culture letting it down

Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsScale! Access to good resources and development. Fantastic HQ building with good flexible working policies. Has potential for good internal career development once you are in the door. Good overall compensation.

ConsHigh blame culture, politics at Senior Manager level. Paying lip service to employee engagement. The silo mentality means its difficult to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the values and cut down silo's

Join if you want to have a easy life

Reward Consultant (Current Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood non monetary perks and work/life balance.

ConsZero career growth
    Too hierarchical
    Everyone works for the boss.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking and start doing. Strategies are decided by a group of people and not just one - so should not change drastically if the CEO changes. Remove all the executive's they are the biggest problem as most of them don't understand how things work.

Desperately seeking saving, the company is headless and leaderless in most departments.

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsLocation is ideal for Edinburgh and for travel being close to airport. Facilities and IT support is strong. Good and wide range of various professionals, some cowboys exist and have done this and that at other financial organisations, particularly the bankrupt ones that never learn about financial prudence backed up with prudent and robust ICT services.

ConsMorale is at an all time low, departments and personnel are waiting their fate and/or redundancy. Rats jumping off a sinking ship springs to mind. Too much emphasise on meetings and more meetings and then again more meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew blood required from proven stock, experience and background and from sound basis and not the used car dealer type who promotes self interest uber alles. Forget the management TLA's learnt on an MBA and do what MBA should have taught you.

Great place to work but no job security

Operational Risk Manager (Current Employee)
    Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsBenefits and people are great

ConsJob Security is poor and lack of communication from leadership

Advice to Senior Management...

Worked for Royal Bank of Scotland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Royal Bank of Scotland reviews and ratings in Edinburgh, Scotland — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Royal Bank of Scotland CEO Ross McEwan. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Royal Bank of Scotland employees.