Royal Canin Reviews

Royal Canin Président Jean-Christophe Flatin
Jean-Christophe Flatin

1. Short term

I worked at Royal Canin

Pros

Compensation was great, management took detailed notes of suggestions at the end of my first shift.

Cons

Better training was needed, not just one giant group training with over a hundred people but smaller sized groups.

Advice to Management

Listen to the suggestions that your employees give. It wil lead to a more successful experience overall

2. District Manager, Royal Canin

Current Employee - District Manager in Calif City, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Calif City, CA

I have been working at Royal Canin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product, hire good people, great industry, free car, $7 lunch per diem, free pet food up to 70lb per month.

Cons

Disorganized, poor marketing, few growth opportunity, lower than industry average pay

US management is ruining this company.

Former Employee - DM, Veterinary Division
    Former Employee - DM, Veterinary Division

I worked at Royal Canin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The quality of the products is second to none. The training is excellent. Most reps are passionate about their jobs.

Cons

Very poor management, every level. Negative management style. Managers tend to distrust reps. Micromanagement is the norm. Sales style is changing to be more high pressure and less consultative. Managers have been caught in lies, even on nationwide conference calls.

Advice to Management

Look closely at who you promote. Check their backgrounds. Stop managing by intimidation.

5. Awesome people, great product, excellent team atmosphere. other than management

Former Employee - Operator in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Operator in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I worked at Royal Canin

Pros

I genuenly liked working with the people at my level. Nice and clean, good product. Passionate reople.

Cons

No job security. Since I started, probably 60% of the workers who I thought were doing a great job were fired and nobody knows why. I felt stressed to the max at work then brought it home with me every day. My children suffered from my stress and I feel terrible for it. My wife has been supportive and we are glad I no longer work there. Its not my teams fault or any other shift, it has all to do with management. From the top with the plant manager and his close circle. They stick together and pass blame down to the shift leaders who in turn fire people for no good reason. Rather than helping, they fire. Everyone there seems very stressed and there is no sense of leadership. I would have quit much sooner but I was getting paid well. Looking back, it wasn't worth it.

Advice to Management

Be leaders. By being a leader I mean, take care of people rather than threaten and fire. Its inhumane

Terrible!

I worked at Royal Canin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my colleagues (at my level) were nice to work with! Holiday allowances were OK. Was a sales/tech support role so meant working from home and being out on the road - this suited me.

Cons

Very poor management structure, generally do not make the staff feel valued, pay is very poor, sales targets were often unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Value your staff!

MILLWRIGHTS & ELECTRICIANS (TRADESMEN) BEWARE !!!!!

I have been working at Royal Canin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean environment to work in most of the time.
    Some good tradesman to work with.

Cons

Where should I start.....Most ignorant group of management I have EVER delt with !
    Good luck trying to get holidays, you have to find your own coverage and only 1 guy off at a time.
    The work load is totally unrealistic, up and down stairs to 10th floor carrying ladders and tools.
    Don't be fooled like I was......This company is nothing like the way Mars describes themselves, most of the managers don't even like the fact that mars bought them and wish they weren't involved. They conduct business nothing like the way Mars describes themselves and the 5 principles.
    This is a revolving door

Advice to Management

Maybe after enough good tradesmen quit and you can't hide it from Mars anymore, Mars will pay a visit and walk some of these managers out that are creating MAJOR problems. I can only hope and pray for the future of this company and its people that these managers actions are soon discovered and properly delt with.

Started strong, company's evolution is disappointing

Former Employee - Pet Nutrition Advocate
    Former Employee - Pet Nutrition Advocate

I worked at Royal Canin part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great for a students though they hardly hire students, good job for passionate people. Aids in developing good leadership skills. Free bag for animals once a month.

Cons

No respect for workers, never had any explanation whatsoever as to why I no longer have my job, no two weeks notice, hours reduced significantly. No sense of partnership with the company. Pressure on clients to buy product even if not necessarily the best for the pet's needs. You're quite isolated and rarely work with others.

Advice to Management

We are people before anything--respect us as such.

It is a clique.

I have been working at Royal Canin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of experince gained because of how lean the company is

Cons

great if you are from France.
    If you are from France then you are set to move up with or without successes.
    Very Frustrating and anyone that is talanted is looking to get out of there.

Advice to Management

Think Global, Act local. instead of Acting France, and thinking Local. - What works in France does not work Elsewhere!!!!

Great product. Poor management.

Former Employee - Office in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Office in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I worked at Royal Canin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food for your pets. Good training and courses offered. Dedicated, knowledgeable colleagues who truly care about the health of the pets.

Cons

Lack of direction. No respect for people as individuals. Only puppets get promoted. Leadership team very confused and doesn't walk the talk. Condescending senior managers.

Advice to Management

Those in charge at the top need to listen to the associates. Stop promoting people with no managerial skills or talent. Try and retain those who truly care instead of keeping the dead wood to cover your poor decisions.

Royal Canin Canada

I have been working at Royal Canin full-time

Pros

Great company, great product you can TRULY feel proud of. Your team can become your family and have formed some great friendships with a few people.
    -The company really believes in its "pet first" philosophy and making a better world for cats and dogs.

Cons

The vibe can be very "high school" with one of the worst rumor mills I have ever experienced.