Royal Caribbean Cruises

Royal Caribbean Cruises Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Royal Caribbean Cruises Chairman and CEO Richard D. Fain

Richard D. Fain

Pros
  • Everything is onboard, you can meet different people from around the world(in 11 reviews)

• Get to travel the world and make friends all over(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of hard work, long hours, business always come first(in 7 reviews)

• the only downside is you may find yourself having to be away from home or family longer than you are used to(in 4 reviews)

Great people, great vacations!

Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsRCL is expanding it's global footprint while providing consumers all over the world with memorable vacations and unforgettable experiences. The organization resembles a family company that has increased in size over the last 40 years and is continuously improving internal processes to support the infrastructure. Compensation, benefits and other perks are competitive, the product is amazing.

ConsRCL is very consensus driven and could benefit from holding employees more accountable on strategic deliverables.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccountability will benefit the bottom line.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsBenefits are excellent
    bonus structure is competitive to the market
    Almost free cruises

ConsPromotion guidelines are very limited. max 15%

Worst experience of my professional career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Miramar, FL

ProsThe benefits are decent, as long as you can somehow find the time to take advantage of them. They also feed you when you're forced to work an inhumane amount of hours.

ConsYou have to fight to get any recognition for your work. There is no incentive to work hard and try to do great things, since no one will care or even notice. The working conditions are horrific. You are forced to work a ridiculous amount of hours on weekdays and weekends. Your personal life takes a back seat here. There is no such thing as career growth. You will learn nothing other than surviving under the most stressful working conditions I've experienced. I'm no stranger to hard work but the way we were treated was simply ridiculous. The culture is one that rewards bigotry and incompetence, and punishes good employees and productivity. They have no idea that they're actually hurting themselves. The turnover rate is incredibly high. Most of management should be replaced with people who actually care about others, the industry, and the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more careful with how you treat people and help improve the culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exploitative, weak management

Shipboard Management (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsExciting industry
    Met lots of lovely people
    Culturally diverse

ConsExploitative employers
    Mediocrity aplauded and encouraged
    Weak middle management
    Squander money
    Corruption on ships

Advice to Senior ManagementLeaving the same executive committee on the same ship, year after year, is a very big mistake. Mutually benefitting relationships are forged. Continal improvement cannot happen if things "are done this way on this ship".

Meritocracy over mediocrity.

Lots of Corporate Buzzwords, no real action.

Sound Technician (Former Employee)

ProsTravel the world. Invite family and friends to cruise if you can get through the paperwork. Work with people from around the world. Have all expenses paid and save some money. Cheap drinks at the crew bar.

ConsSpend a lot of time away from your family and friends. Long working days. You will be at your worksite 24 hours a day. Any time you have to visit a gorgeous place you will be thinking about getting back to the ship. Live with the same small group of people for months at a time.
    Corporate culture is terrible. Very focused in pointing out mistakes and shortcomings. A LOT of rules. Very focused on disciplinary actions that most times don't make any sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advice the management of this company to look out for their good employees. It seems that they have an endless supply of workers from developing countries and don't really care if anyone quits or is dissatisfied. All crew meetings are very frustrating because they say to employees that they are the most important part of the company, but the reality is that there is a lot of mistreatment, abuse and exploitation going on.

Newbuilding $ Fleet Design PMO - BEWARE

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsPlenty of work. Great place to work for aggressive, ambitious, non-family having workaholics.

ConsToo many people in charge. It seems everyone is either a manager, director, VP, AVP, or EVP.
    Absolutely no work/life balance. You're expected to work 10+ hour days and handle correspondence 24/7. There is little respect for anyone who isn't, at the very least, a manger. Very corporate, very cut-throat, and very very fake. Next to impossible to get to know management personnel since all are terrified to cross into"personal" boundaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employees and learn to relax a bit - It's just a job.

Face Paced, Energetic, Exceptional Learning Experience

Buyer III (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThe benefits that the company provides it employees are exceptional. They provide in-house class to make you a stronger employee.

ConsToo many lay offs during my tenure. Every time there is economic instability in the industry they lay off personnel. They contribute highly to the unemployment situation

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at individuals, not those managers, dept. heads who are only interested in providing opportunity to close friends

The best place to work.

Revenue Management Analyst (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsLife and work is perfectly balanced

ConsSalaries could be better but overall is good.

Great product HORRIBLE employer!

Consumer Outreach Inbound Sales (Current Employee) Springfield, OR

ProsThe cruise deals and personal and vacation time off provided.

ConsLook at the turn over. Via the Department of Employment: RCCL has the HIGHEST unemployment claims over ANY company in Lane County. This corporation thrives on pinning their employees down and keeping them there! RCCL came to Oregon based on the great tax perks, low cost of land purchase and low cost of living, hence justifying low wages. They are required to hire X amount of new employees a year to adhere to the State/County/City agreements for allowing them to lay business and keep their perks! On paper they hire 2-3 hundred employees a year HOWEVER their loss and termination numbers equal 150-250 a year. Either they are hiring ANYTHING to get "numbers", they are a bad company to work for (seems reasonable) or they are fire happy to move masses, also very plausible! Either way all in all for employees likewise for the local area, we are getting a pig in the poke with this corporation!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHold tight because your joyride will end soon once the locals smell your fowl stinch!

Great Opportunities for Growth in your Career - very innovative company.

Hotel Food and Beverage Operations Team (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsI believe they are in the fore front of the industry. Very forward looking to new ideas, new ways for their guest to have fun on their vacations!

ConsGreat benefits, good work environment, possibility to travel and of course great cruising benefits!

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain current in whatever your field of expertise is. Stay connected to like-industry, knowledgeable and ready to try new things. Very challenging, and it's a 24/7 industry, so be ready to be on call all the time, and be able to travel without much notice.

Worked for Royal Caribbean Cruises? Contribute to the Community!