Royal Dutch Shell
www.shell.com The Hague, Netherlands 5000+ Employees

Royal Dutch Shell Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014
Royal Dutch Shell – Mexico – “Ursa offshore drilling platform.”

Not yet rated.

Royal Dutch Shell CEO Ben van Beurden

Ben van Beurden

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance and some opportunity for overseas postings"
    in 63 reviews
  • "Shell has a great working environment and corporate values"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Line managers lack decision making capability and have no vision"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Very large company can lead to slow decision making"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unprofessional

Cashier (Former Employee)
Cottonwood, AZ

I worked at Royal Dutch Shell full-time for more than a year

ProsSadly only flexible hours was a pro.

ConsPay is horrible, unprofessional employees (even in the supervisory level), no benefits because they mostly hire at part time since Obamacare was introduced, favoritism was shown and instead of finding out where the problem was they would fire an employee everytime the inventory was short.

Great responsibility given, and opportunities to prove oneself.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New Orleans, LA

I worked at Royal Dutch Shell as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe quality of people and the work environment.

ConsNot much to complain about.

Great place to work

I have been working at Royal Dutch Shell

ProsA great place to experience a mutitude of talents

ConsProbably could do with a little less envy from others. Maybe people need to get promoted more often

Team lead can bring you to heaven or hell

Geologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Royal Dutch Shell full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNice pay, pension, flexible working hours

ConsForced ranking system - hesitate to share knowledge with same job grade colleagues. Company does not appreciate hard workers, but favors hard talkers (high visibility). If team lead is not willing to say good words for you, you screwed. You will always hear things like "oh, you did great last year, but others did better than you".

Bureaucratic, Political, and Very Technophobic

I have been working at Royal Dutch Shell full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, great benefits, and decent work/life balance. For a baby boomer, it's a dream company. Also, since it's at the top of the food chain, just about any company will hire you with Shell experience on your resume.

ConsExtremely inflexible and bureaucratic. Nothing happens quickly in Shell, and the inefficiency is costing them.

Very rigid job roles - you are a cog in a machine. People will sometimes get angry (to an unprofessional degree) if you push into their territory, even if it's better for the company. New ideas are not welcome.

"Reorganizations" every couple years of departments (and in 2009 the entire company!) keep the efficiency low and lead to a constant anxiety about job security.

Worst of all, the Peter Principle is hard at work in Shell. At the lower levels, people are sometimes promoted based on their past technical performance and not on their ability to manage people.

All in all, a Millennial's worst nightmare of an employer. Retention rates of new hires are very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour messages and plans are falling on deaf ears. The answer is less bureaucracy, not more. You have immense quantities of talent leaving the company because they're not being utilized or appreciated.

Good company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Royal Dutch Shell full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits if you know how to take advantage of them. I saw lots of people grow their careers, some departments more than others.

ConsSome management focuses on the wrong things, are maybe are not meant to be in management, is great people company, I guess your always one or two bad apples in the bunch

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your employees, not budgets, people is what makes the company run and succeed, get the best out of your employees by doing the same.

My experience at Shell

I have been working at Royal Dutch Shell

ProsOverall only positive experiences. Company has strong salaries, decent work/life balance. And the people they employ are all very friendly and willing to assist others.

ConsNone that come to mind.

Shell Oil HAD a good reputation

Production Operator (Current Employee)
Deer Park, TX

I have been working at Royal Dutch Shell full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe name, Shell. The name opens many doors and impresses.

ConsShell has a new fatigue policy for some reason. No other chemical company has such a policy and it is crazy. No one likes it and no one wants it. I'm not even sure if management is a fan of it. Shell has proven time and time again that it wants to be the best. But by being the best they have to try every outlandish and unproven idea and employees pay the price for it. Unfortunately, this has caused a bad vibe/opinion of Shell.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove training for one thing. All Shell Deer Park wants is warm bodies. Even on the control board. The control board is manned by management approved individuals. And all they want is yes men. In the event of a full-blown crisis, we will not have the experience or the know-how to handle a situation. Especially in the next few years when the real operators retire.

Big Oil, no shortage of investment to the business

HR Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Royal Dutch Shell full-time for more than 3 years

Proswork life balance
great work environment
process improvement always moving forward
safety safety safety!
9/80 work schedule
excellent corp culture

Conshard to find someone to take ownership of an issue-
seem to put too much emphasis on education instead of experience- a degree from an online university is useless
no clear leadership in place- key employees hide behind years of experience and can't give direction

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone ins't working or following through on their responsibilities, fire them! Stop moving them from department to department.
Need stronger leadership from team managers. Stop relying so much on contract labor to implement new policies.

senior petroleum reservoir engineer

Senior Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Royal Dutch Shell full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent oil and gas operating company with good people, excellent work environment, and excellent benefits, excellent growth opportunities.

Consnot easy to get in contact with top managers

Advice to Senior Managementupper management should make themselves available to lower workers

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Royal Dutch Shell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Royal Dutch Shell CEO Ben van Beurden. All 341 reviews posted anonymously by Royal Dutch Shell employees.