Royal Dutch Shell

www.shell.com

Royal Dutch Shell Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Royal Dutch Shell – Mexico – “Ursa offshore drilling platform.”

Royal Dutch Shell CEO Ben van Beurden

Ben van Beurden

Pros
  • Work life balance does not exist in several expat postings(in 78 reviews)

• The working environment is good and all the colleagues are nice and professional(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow decision making and bureaucratic organization(in 35 reviews)

• Very large company can lead to slow decision making(in 10 reviews)

Love the company. Everyone wants you to do well and be in a position where you can help Shell.

ProsFeels very flat with a lot of lateral mobility.

ConsNone to think of right now.

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat work life balance, many of options of work businesses. great culture

ConsSlow to decide, also potential to limit early career options

Highly Recommend (with slight trade-offs)

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat pay and great people. A lot of focus on development and movement within/across Shell companies, functions and ventures.

Strong "Shell" culture. Most facilities (business support) are equipped with multiple cafeterias, starbucks, gyms, banks, medical offices, etc. A very good place to work, and team/individual performance is recognize and rewarded

ConsLimited location availability. Company very large so often hard to understand full picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved my job, so far the best company I have worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, simple and clear policies, great work/life balance, company events, some of the best people anywhere, ... I could go on and on. Salary was re-indexed (based on performance) every year, it only increased, never went down. Bonuses were always fair.

ConsNot clear how they select senior managers. Lots of internal meetings, tons of PowerPoint... Retaining your job can be a challenge: e.g., if you are over 50 years old and/or your Job Group is 3 or higher, you'll have to pray for stability in the global economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, keep up the good work. Create the proper culture for bringing up and selecting high-quality senior managers (prefer technical/commercial people to financial experts).

Solid place to work

Global Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVast opportunities, many different area upstream and downstream

ConsLarge and complex company, too many rigid rules, too many decision makers, not enough quick decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementMore top down guidance, more freedom to move the business, review managers before promoting them to manager.

Solid

Plant Operator (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood pay and benefits excellent work environment very focused on safety and enviroment

ConsVery process centric culture not a good environment for for individuals who can not deal with constant change.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up

very good overall

Control Systems (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosgreat company with terrific long term benefits

Consway to much favoritism / and yes it does target older employees to push out when downsizing

Advice to Senior Managementdon't push a elderly employee out before they are ready to retire, If they have been a good / dependable employee for say 30 years... that is no way to treat them, and have a distasteful event (no fault of their own) the last thing they remember when leaving

Admin Assistant

Admin Assistant (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsI love the work, life balance that this company offers. As soon as you are hired your benefits are immediate, not waiting perior.

ConsI am having a difficult time thinking of any cons. Off the top of my head, I would say the on boarding process is probably the least desirable experienc.

Ok, but don't believe the hype.

Production Team Support Engineer (Current Employee) Deer Park, TX

ProsCompensation, benefits package, they hire smart people. The only reason to stay is for the benefits and pay and the work it is easy, just tedious and very time consuming. I think much better opportunities exist in this company, just stay away from Deer Park.

ConsWork Life Balance is not pushed as much as they say. Small cog in big machine mentality, lots and lots of work processes that takes up most of your time instead of actually accomplishing real work. Consensus style management, confusing operational structure.

The PTSE job is not really an engineering position it makes you feel like an admin assistant to the production team. If you are an experienced hire you will be very disappointed in the inefficiency , and that they don't value your experience at all. Again this review is only representative of the Deer Park Refinery.

Cubicles instead of offices, and locked in to your role for 4 years if you get hired in as an experienced hire.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the red tape, you have the elements to have a very profitable refining operation, realign departments to reduce the inefficiency. Redefine the the PTSE and RE roles to actually do engineering not just Shell fluff. Stay far away from the Deer Park site if you want to be a real engineer.

Hard to find something to complain about.

ProsI have enjoyed most everyone I have worked with and there are lots of opportunities to move around the company. I've been quite pleased with pay and benefits, and I feel like their are lots of developmental opportunities and assignments available if you show your interest in such opportunities.

ConsThings move slow and it can be hard to get some of the old school thinkers to change their ways.

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!