Royal Dutch Shell

www.shell.com

Royal Dutch Shell Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 8, 2014
Royal Dutch Shell – Mexico – “Ursa offshore drilling platform.”

Royal Dutch Shell CEO Ben van Beurden

Ben van Beurden

Pros
  • Work life balance does not exist in several expat postings(in 78 reviews)

• The working environment is good and all the colleagues are nice and professional(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow decision making and bureaucratic organization(in 35 reviews)

• Very large company can lead to slow decision making(in 10 reviews)

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing corporate culture

Project Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe company is a great place to work, and not always famous for that but usually employees are very happy and loyal. There is a big support for people's development, great benefits to move and realocate, most of the places offer great flexibility, meaning that you can work virtually, part time or sharing a role if needed and would be totally supported, etc.

ConsThe size of the company causes red-tape to be something usual. Is not as bad as in other companies, but still you need to talk with 1,000,000 before taking action

Good company to work, with lots of politics

Pros- Good learning opportunities
    - If you work hard, you'll be recognised and rewarded if you're at the lower chain of the organisation
    - Competitive salary/compensation/benefits package

Cons- The organisation is shrinking in size, with the 3-4 year job rotation system you'll need lots of luck and networking to maintain your job within the company
    - Political, slow on decision making and constant rework

Salary

ProsGreat opportunity , interresting job title

ConsWorking in a different environement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for, with excellent opportunities and fast career progression

Project Delivery Lead (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLovely colleagues
    Good work/life balance
    Excellent salaries

ConsArrogance is very common, especially from senior and executive management.
    The good people always leave due to the high level of bureaucracy.
    HR are a waste of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees so you can be more in touch with their work and life balances and realize their problems.

Internship at Shell

Intern (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe benefit of working from home was advantageous on Fridays. There are training programs in house for you to develop and they take you away for a grand dinner for your "welcome induction"

ConsMy "buddy" (who is assigned to you) was very cutting and did not know how to communicate sometimes. This may be due to him being originally from another country. It is a high pressurised environment compared to previous companies I have worked at.

I don't think the assessment process at the end of the internship is fair and useful.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink assessment process within the internship, in addition to moving teams midway to gain further experience would be better.

Great development and progression

HR Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA true meritocracy, extremely diverse working environment in an industry that is fundamental to the future of the planet - working to solve the energy challenge

ConsLack of real performance management on lower end performers
    Lots of reorganisations - little tackling of the cultural aspects that need to change
    Moving jobs is never straightforward

Advice to Senior ManagementReally focus on performance management. The system isn't broken, but line managers shy away from tough conversations.

Whilst we have a highly consultative environment, we do not have a highly collaborative environment. The first reaction on approaching someone to help is usually 'no'.

The WORST most horrible degrading job I have ever had.

Customer Assistant (Current Employee) Lichfield, England (UK)

ProsWeekly Pay. Part time available so not required to always work full time. Manager on site every shift.

ConsOwner of that particular franchise was callous. They made me work overnight alone. I had to serve, re stock, take deliveries, not let people in...but let police in...and delivery men...the newspaper man...then customer would walk in and id get shouted at. Then told I wasn't bringing anything to the company over the phone....kept checking CCTV to make sure I didn't stop moving. Chaos on the night shift.... not allowed to leave premises even on a break as no One else was there to keep eye on the till. So no cigarette breaks AT ALL. Pay was CASH in hand..ALWAYS wrong & sometimes late. If next person due for their morning shift was late you'd have no choice but to stay there & continue to work until they arrived. Other staff were favored and allowed to leave early...take longer breaks and to stand around doing nothing whilst over were constantly monitored. Uniforms were second hand and did not fit correctly...still made to wear them even if they looked inappropriate. Other members said they felt bullied by management. Dis organised....out of date food left on shelves: orders given my management. AVOID this company at any costs!!! WORST employment I have ever had...after 10 years experience in retail...they told me I was doing it all wrong and that I had nothing to offer the company. I resigned before giving them the chance to sack me.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at your franchise owners..... ESP in Staffordshire.

Friendly atmosphere, lots of room for development.

Accountant (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat work/life balance, wide range of locations, competitive salary, commitment to staff development, attractive benefits, good pension scheme, company gym, cycle to work scheme.

ConsHigher-ups are mostly Dutch, inefficiencies in communication between different departments, [probably down to location] not entirely professional atmosphere (dress code etc), a lot of 'business improvement' meetings where issues are highlighted but often not dealt with (only to be highlighted again a year later while one or two are prioritised).

Advice to Senior ManagementI think sometimes management perhaps delegates too little work and in effect can often be less effective at their core responsibilities (big picture/staff development) as their focus is somewhat diluted.

Assessed Internship - Geology

Intern Geologist (Former Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsGood training and support is good.

ConsHR is overriding on your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinal interview should not be based on solely on HR.

Reasonable working culture. Managed by sheep

IT Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsGood exposure to wide variety of technology
    Excellent friendly supportive team
    Regular 1:1 performance reviews
    Training available, though scarce

ConsManagement blinkered in their long-term plans
    Counterproductive decision making from ITLT
    Favouritism towards permanent staff because of their "elite" status
    No loyalty towards long term staff

Advice to Senior ManagementStop following the trends of outsourcing at the cost of your internal employees. Realise the real value in your employees and allow them to grow in their career aspirations.

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!