Royal Mail

Be The First To
Add Photos

Royal Mail CEO Moya M. Greene

Moya M. Greene

Pros
  • Good Benefits, Good Holiday time off(in 5 reviews)

• work life balance , fresh air, nice to be out doors working with the public(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management tend to new employees challenging routes with no guidance(in 5 reviews)

• Delivery managers are pressed to reduce expenditure quite substantially(in 4 reviews)

Royal fail

OPG (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThere are not many. The pay is good for what it is and it's nice to get out of the office, managing your own time and meeting all sorts of people. Camaraderie between staff is good. It keeps you fit.

ConsNo promotion opportunities, most front line managers are overpaid, unqualified supervisors who constantly use threatening/bullying tactics and lie to staff to get them to work overtime, treated with contempt if you phone in sick.

Temporary part timers are used and abused regularly, pressured into doing more than they should with the constant threat of no contract renewal in a few months time. Family friendly seems to be a myth as parents are penalised if their children are ill. I could go on...

Advice to Senior ManagementI have witnessed line managers who fraudulently pay themselves overtime, disgusting bully boy behaviour towards employees, and a couldn't care less attitude towards health and safety. There are no opportunities for personal growth and the constant drive for efficiency should now be focused on management of all levels.

Dead end job with little or no career development.

Service Manager (Former Employee) Chesterfield, England (UK)

ProsIt was close to home. No other pros.

ConsTerrible senior leadership. Poor leadership. Little strategy. No career development. I found this to be quite a sexist environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart managing your teams and developing talent. Stop the nepotism.

Overall not a bad employer but with a very bad structure and without any serious development plans for the employees.

ProsLow pressure, too much fat allows for mistakes to be forgiven, worklife balance.
    Very big organisation covering a very wide aspect of each professional field.

ConsToo many senior employees.
    Command and control practices.
    The HR function doesn't provide any strategic direction.
    Despite its size, instead of leading the way, it struggles to follow what the competitors do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible life work balance at Royal Mail

Post Man (Current Employee) Romford, England (UK)

ProsGood Benefits, Good Holiday time off

ConsWork hours are too long and they expect you to give up your life to do the job. For the salary they pay, this is unacceptable. I have also seen cuts to workforce over the past few years and an increase in workload for those left. This used to be a good career, now its just an annoying job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave things go back to the way they were.

Good pay but bad management

Postman (Current Employee) Peterborough, England (UK)

ProsGood Money, Afternoons Off, Plenty of overtime, meeting people, xmas tips

ConsEarly mornings, physically and mentally draining as the rounds get bigger and bigger with less time to do them in, not like the old days where you could stop and chat to someone now theres no time for that! You will get moved from pillar to post if you dont have your own round! The Weather Alot of mail is delayed for days as some managers refuse to pay overtime or help you if you cant complete

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you design these killer deliveries try going out yourself and seeing if you can do them, dont expect us to get done on time if it's impossible

Challenging and sometimes toxic place to work in

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPay is pretty good
    Good benefits ie. car allowance, health, etc.
    Pretty much 9-5pm
    I've learned and done more than in previous roles

ConsLot's of deadwood (people that have been around too long and don't want any change)
    A bit toxic and lots of politics
    No clue how you actually get promoted
    IT needs a major overhaul

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of VE more frequently and talk to your people
    Stop talking transformation and actually do it otherwise you will be dead in the water against the competition
    Whoever has been around more than 4 years you need to get rid of and bring in fresh blood. The old timers are holding the company back.

Loved the job itself, but Royal Mail Managers are notorious for being bullies. Being strong willed and clued in helps!

POSTMAN FULL TIME (Former Employee) Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsI was in my best shape physically when working as a postman. The overtime collecting from boxes and sub post offices was easy work and well paid. You are your own boss effectively once you're out on delivery. The workers union is very good at defending your case when necessary.

ConsOvertime isn't the same now as when i was there. Managers will trying and bully you into working your days off if they need the manpower. I once has another colleague sent to my front door at 5 in the morning to tell me to come in despite me having told the manager i couldn't & wouldn't the day before.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen i worked for royal mail if i got my run done early i was able to go back and then help someone else out with their run and get over time for that (while still being within my own runs time) This incentive has disappeared now with being automatically sent back out to help others. This just encourages the lazy workers to slow down and they know now they will get help no matter what.

Very Happy

Training and Development (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsHad some great years there. Pleasure to go work. Felt a part of something special and strong branding.

ConsIt is a big company and you can get lost in the crowd. Many of the staff are frightened to take a risk for fear of losing their job. Sometimes difficult to do things due to funding limitations.

Advice to Senior ManagementI met some great managers and some not so good. Fairly typical of a large employer.

postman

Delivery Postman (Current Employee) Montrose, Scotland (UK)

Prosgood excercise, steady job , and once on the street you get to manage your own time ,, though everything is time critical these days

Consbullying management , unrealistic targets,, over fondness for paperwork

Advice to Senior Managementlisten more to your workers

Ok, but not much for development and career growth

Manager (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsRelatively good earnings, although the salary gap between postmen/women and front line management is decreasing all the time.

There appears to be some strong direction from the top of the company, with the recent privatisation being a good example of forward thinking.

The continuous improvement programme in place has addressed some of the simple issues that hadn't been addressed before.

ConsFrontline management is the buffer between an antiquated union and, what feels like, upper management that isn't interested in what the union thinks. This puts frontline managers into difficult situations quite often.

There seems to be an agenda to overlook experienced, managers in favour of graduates when it comes to promotion opportunities. As a result, there is little opportunity for career advancement unless a person has come from the graduate pool.

If you are unfortunate enough to become involved with the continuous improvement programme, look out! There are audits every 4 months and most people presenting at the audits end up taking around 100 hours to put together information that will only be looked at for 40 minutes by the auditors. Considering that workloads are high, this is a major concern.

Delivery managers are pressed to reduce expenditure quite substantially. This results in them working up to 60 hours per week because they frequently need to do the jobs of postmen/women (if they are absent), as well as their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the workload of Delivery Managers.

Address the decreasing pay gap.

Internal career progression, for non-graduates, is almost non-existent.

Taking an e-learning course is not 'career development.'

There are some very good leaders within the company that are being overlooked by the desire to bring in fresh external candidates.

Stop the audits, they are a waste of time/money after the easy things have been addressed.

Worked for Royal Mail? Contribute to the Community!