Rtt Usa

Updated May 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peter Stevenson

RTT's greatest assets are its hardworking artists

Anonymous (Former Employee) Royal Oak, MI

ProsCreative, innovative young company. The core of its strength lies in its creative and hardworking group of artists most of whom were recruited fresh from college.

ConsChange in management and leadership is negatively impacting the team that worked so hard to bring the company to where it is right now. The corporate setting is cold and detached.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your team, not only to your managers and supervisors. Talk to your clients and find out why they went with RTT in the first place.

Awful, just awful

Data Prep (Former Employee) Royal Oak, MI

ProsThere are a FEW individuals that are candid and truly appreciate the work they've done for this company.

ConsThe culture is awful and too loose. Many of the staff are not trained well enough in basic interpersonal communication, managers in both major departments are not on the same page with goals/objectives, and the pay is atrocious.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay higher, embrace your employees, know how to communicate goals/initiatives and do so CONSISTENTLY. Get a better culture.

High-Tech software and "cool stuff" doesn't make up for bad pay and poor management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Royal Oak, MI

Proslaid-back environment, location, proximity to automotive industry

Conspay, company values/culture, lack of loyalty, communication

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pasadena Office not the same as Detroit

3D Artist (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

Pros- If you like doing automotive rendering, this is a great place to work at. But rarely do they get clients outside of this industry. It pays salary (at least it used to) and has benefits. Some opportunities to work abroad, as the company has several satellite offices in different countries, headquartered in Germany. Its a great opportunity starting out, and has a lot of room for the budding 3D Artist to grow.

Cons- Overtime was generally expected and was not compensated monetarily. I gave up alot of late nights and weekends on many projects - for free. People being hired (or promoted) into management were not very professional and were simply too immature for the job. But senior management ignored many of the obvious warning signs, and major clients were lost. The 'cliquey' nature of the place contributes to a very negative and oppressive feeling day in and day out. Overall, its always a bit gloomy working at the Pasadena office, its like the place just has bad mojo. And its never really grown much as a result. Michigan on the other hand has exploded in size over the past 5 years, and people seem to have a more positive outlook on the situation there.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the culture to change, you have to bring in new vision and personality and at the same time rid yourself of the old ways of thinking and behaving. Sometimes it just means replacing people. Germany would do well to replace the management team in its entirety. Build a solid artist team with mature responsible individuals and then bring in a real manager. Start over, small but this time make the right decisions. This is how they can restart to get their mojo back.

Good people, difficult environment.

3D Artist (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsThe people are friendly, and some of the work is creative.

Consmany times I felt like the planning per project was poor and overly driven to get the most out of everyone....I know this is a business and that's their goal but I was there for a while and just did not feel valued as an employee. Always felt like we were undervalueing our services and only trying to "do" what other studios did. The Fear of getting things right killed all creative freedom for us as a studio to explore what we could do best as a team.

Advice to Senior Managementdont drive the artists into the ground

Great place to start and nurture a career, I enjoy it quite a bit.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Royal Oak, MI

ProsRTT is a great place to start a career and decipher what you want to apply energy toward and where you project yourself being in the future, should conditions allow. I have noticed that RTT is interested in putting you where your talents guide you to be while allowing you the freedom to branch out and involve yourself in other aspects of their workflow if that is something you wish to do. Just because you are hired for a particular position does not mean you have to stay there. During my initial interview I was told outright and furthermore encouraged to learn as much as possible about whatever interested me with intentions of moving in that direction. Alternatively, I've seen seasoned Aces come through and find themselves quite comfortable here. The Company also makes it a point to plan events and outings that encourages employees to interact socially. These take place fairly regularly, but are obviously more abundant in times of great stress on the employees. I, personally, appreciate the consideration as the office can become quite hectic at times with the amount of work to be done. Which can hardly be considered a bad thing, particularly so when applied within the realm of our current economy. The office has a very laid back and casual atmosphere and everyone gets along very well in both a professional and social aspect. I've personally taken note of the recognition of a job well done. You can't expect management to pat you on the back or give you a cookie every time you do something that works..However, if your work is consistent and you can be continuously relied upon; it is, in fact, noticed and rewarded. But to expect some sort of notification of such or a form of compensation for every successfully completed task is asking far too much from any company. It is, after all, your job.
    Become an asset to the company's success, everything else will fall into line.

ConsI, myself, don't have much of anything negative to say about my experience here. Though, I can see where an artist becomes frustrated over the lack of diversity in projects to pack their personal reels with. However, I feel that this is a result of the gamut of RTT's work. There is quite a bit of attention to detail involved and it spans a fair amount of content. So when an artist comes in and proves their worth in any given area, they are relied on to perform in that area in order to maintain consistency and quality throughout. I barely consider this a con... But many artists may and I see why they might feel that way. A good way to look at it would be to consider one's self a specialist and to take pride in the fact that you are one of the best in what you do. Unfortunately, this is not an attitude many artists are willing to take on. You can't rightly consider this work that you can't take pride in. The complexity inherent to images comprised of thousands of individual assets that all layer together and function properly without negative or undesired visual ramifications is astounding when considered how many variables are at play. That's a large potential margin of error. I've seen it done immaculately and I've seen it done lazily. I say take pride in whatever it is you do and strive to be the best you can possibly be at it. Eventually someone will take note. Perseverance, perception and patience will always pay out.

My only real complaint is that there is no Pool Table.
    We need a Pool Table.

Advice to Senior ManagementHanding out advice to management isn't really something I would do, myself. There is a reason they are where they are. They got there somehow. Who am I to think that my methods would function any more efficiently? They may or may not, but that is revealed with time. IF what they do works, they will continue to assist this company in growing as it has been for years. IF what they do isn't working, trust in the fact that it will be addressed and dealt with. As I said, performance doesn't go unnoticed, whether it be exemplary or poor performance, it is noted.

So, my advice, if any, would be to continue being perceptive of your surroundings and always be contemplative of what could be improved upon in all aspects. And always take opinions of employees and peers alike into consideration, no matter how large or insignificant they might seem.
    Perhaps, dare I say, be a tad more hands on?

RTT ROCKS!

(Current Employee) Royal Oak, MI

ProsRTT is a great place to work. The company sits in the fun city of Royal Oak where many of us meet for happy hour, lunch breaks or enjoy a coffee break within walking distance of our office. The environment is casual, relaxed and fun. As a growing company, we offer so many incentives and rewards for all our hard working employees …such as special company outings, parties, pay raises when earned and quarterly bonuses which most places can’t afford now of days. RTT is rapidly growing both in its staff and technology. We compete with many vendors within the area, but I’ve yet to find another vendor who compares in our technology and creative services. Our CEO is wonderful and very involved with the company. His door is ALWAYS open and he encourages for people to voice their suggestions and opinions in how to improve the success and growth of the company. All management is very family oriented. If you have children and need to leave early or call in sick, they always accommodate and understand. The staff finds creative ways to make our 8-hour work day enjoyable (i.e. dart fights, push-up competitions, homemade breakfast, bagel day every Friday, ice-cream on hot days, Halloween parties and the BEST Christmas party in the city of Detroit). Taking a vacation is never an issue as we earn time off every day we work. I’ve worked for other companies within this industry and moving my career to RTT was the best decision I’ve ever made for me and my family. Stop by and check us out sometime, trust me you won’t want to leave!

ConsThe only thing I would consider as a “con” would be a lack of process and additional resources. The company manages very high-level accounts that consume all our time and attention. Implementing an internal work-flow process has always been a top priority, but has also been placed on the back-burner. Once management creates an efficient process for production and sales and hires additional resources to support all accounts, RTT will be unstoppable.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe success and growth of RTT comes from the staff and talented artist who apply many long-hours making deadlines. Always remember to respect, reward and acknowledge these people as they’re the true reason for RTT’s success, not the technology. Sometimes the words “Thank You” and “Keep up the Great Work” goes a lot further with people than a party and/or a pay increase.

Had a lot of potential, but turned into a sweat shop.

(Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsGood place to start a career in 3D. Relatively stable environment. If you like cars you will love the work, at least some of it and for a while.

ConsExtremely repetitive work, expect many long hours. Once you get a grasp of it, it's the same thing over and over and over. No chance to grow as an artist. It will not help you building a reel, because most of what you do is the same thing, so even if the quality of your work is good it won't really help you to show other employers any diversity. A lot of it is also mind numbing CG work on the lowest possible level - things like car configurators, where artists are required to render literally thousands of little bits of vehicles in order to switch them out. Nothing you can be particularly proud of, and nothing any employer in the film/VFX industry will be even remotely impressed by.

At the same time upper management constantly tries to force people to work more and more with their inhouse tools instead of standard industry packages. Sadly, those tools were never made for this type of work, so they are horrible to work with plus, of course, after working there for a couple of years you have wasted a lot of time building up skills that will in no way be useful anywhere outside of RTT. Upper management however refuses to see this truth, and insists in acting like they're the greatest place on earth to work at and threaten or harass anybody who voices their frustration with the situation.
    In the beginning the place was promising, but over time, especially since the economic crisis of 2008, it has become more and more like a sweat shop with many employees being deeply dissatisfied.

Needless to mention, the pay is sub-standard, too.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop frustrating your artists with pipeline "optimizations" that simply make no sense. If you want to use your in-house products for production, have your software developers modify that horrible visualization tool of yours into something that can be actually used by artists doing production work.
    Don't expect the artists to work around the limitations of software that was made for a different purpose and somehow, "magically" make the tools do the work, just because you're too stingy and incompetent to invest the time and money to have the developers make them functional. Not to mention the inferior quality that comes out of those tools when compared to industry standards.

A Bridge to no where

Lighter/Comper (Former Employee)

ProsRTT is a great place to spend you first 6 months out of college. After that if you want to grow, start looking else where. Relatively steady work. The artists are fun people to work with.

ConsThe management in the pasadena office was completely out of touch with reality. Insane dead lines that were tough / impossible to meet. And when that house of cards fell, the artists and leads were blamed for it, even when the top level management was warned about it. Management back stabbing is part of the culture. OT pay was non existant.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, especially when they are trying to point out issues with middle management.

Best Advice For Job Seekers - Stay Away!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUnfortunately, I don't have a lot of good things to say about RTT USA. Perhaps for a new graduate looking to pickup some job skills with no intention of staying beyond two years, it might be a good choice, especially for those with a focus on automotive, since that seems to be their forte. But for a seasoned professional, someone that has worked at a well run, well managed organization, you will be quickly disappointed and frustrated. Its very much a top down organization with all budgeting and any decisions of any import made by executive team (Co-CEOs, now one).

All in all, the employees, staff and trainee, intern, grunts or whatever you want to call them, were exemplary hard working people, as was senior management, but morale has been on steady decline over the past few years due to the poor and ineffectual management of production team that has resulted in long hours, non-paid overtime, in-fighting and management's disregard for comfort, safety and well-being of staff.

ConsWhat A Pity. This company had a lot of potential. What started out as a very carefree, fun, casual workplace grew into an oppressive, and at times hostile, sweat-shop environment. Expect to work long-hours for below market pay-rates and never, ever expect a word of thanks from the executive team. Criticism and threats abound, but never sincere expressions of gratitude are not. Getting fed when working overtime, forget about it, it does not happen. Bonuses do get paid out, but they are inconsequential and pretty much a joke.

Their staffing model is, and has always been, recruit the youngest and cheapest money can buy and hope for the best. For new recruits looking for mentoring and training, you won't find it here. With the workload and tight deadlines such a program would be viewed as an unwelcome and expensive burden - none of the senior management team would have any time to devote to such training, and the management style does not believe in investing in their staff since they don't get the idea of human capital. Employees are, at the end of the day, a means to an end.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Check your egos at the door, a little more humility and personal interest in your staff would be welcome.

Worked for Rtt Usa? Contribute to the Community!