Rtt Usa Reviews

Updated August 1, 2014
Updated August 1, 2014
2.3

Peter Stevenson

RTT's greatest assets are its hardworking artists

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Royal Oak, MI

I worked at Rtt Usa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Creative, innovative young company. The core of its strength lies in its creative and hardworking group of artists most of whom were recruited fresh from college.

Cons

Change in management and leadership is negatively impacting the team that worked so hard to bring the company to where it is right now. The corporate setting is cold and detached.

Listen to your team, not only to your managers and supervisors. Talk to your clients and find out why they went with RTT in the first place.

Was a great ride until the new management arrived

Former Employee - Staff  in  Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - Staff in Royal Oak, MI

I worked at Rtt Usa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of a kind software, fun people, great marketing team who threw incredible parties and events ever year, casual work environment (jeans, sweatshirts, flip-flops are all acceptable work attire), GM contract allowed for growth and a new office and bagels every Friday!

Cons

The new management who started in 2013 has destroyed this company, The former CEO stepped down in March of 2014 and his replacement is horrible. What use to be a fun work environment has quickly turned into a hostel work environment. People are put down daily, deadlines haven't been met & the upper management does nothing to help the staff. The negativity is toxic. I feel bad for those who are left. Many artist work 60+ hours a week at $40k salary, its sad!

Listen to your team instead of following the lead of the new management. Do what is right and step up and make a change. Treat those who work hard with respect & pay your employees what they deserve.

Would not recommend anyone to work with the current management etc. at RTT!

I have been working at Rtt Usa full-time

Pros

Some amazing artists and people work there that it's a pleasure to be around.

Cons

Culture has gone down the toilet over the last year.... there is none! Management does not care about the employees.. they are all replaceable (in managements own words). Too many power hungry people in positions that are detrimental to the overall growth and success of the company.
    I would NEVER recommend anyone I know to work there :(

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful, just awful

Former Employee - Data Prep  in  Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - Data Prep in Royal Oak, MI

I worked at Rtt Usa as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

There are a FEW individuals that are candid and truly appreciate the work they've done for this company.

Cons

The culture is awful and too loose. Many of the staff are not trained well enough in basic interpersonal communication, managers in both major departments are not on the same page with goals/objectives, and the pay is atrocious.

Pay higher, embrace your employees, know how to communicate goals/initiatives and do so CONSISTENTLY. Get a better culture.

High-Tech software and "cool stuff" doesn't make up for bad pay and poor management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Oak, MI

I worked at Rtt Usa full-time for more than a year

Pros

laid-back environment, location, proximity to automotive industry

Cons

pay, company values/culture, lack of loyalty, communication

Pasadena Office not the same as Detroit

Former Employee - 3D Artist  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - 3D Artist in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Rtt Usa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- If you like doing automotive rendering, this is a great place to work at. But rarely do they get clients outside of this industry. It pays salary (at least it used to) and has benefits. Some opportunities to work abroad, as the company has several satellite offices in different countries, headquartered in Germany. Its a great opportunity starting out, and has a lot of room for the budding 3D Artist to grow.

Cons

- Overtime was generally expected and was not compensated monetarily. I gave up alot of late nights and weekends on many projects - for free. People being hired (or promoted) into management were not very professional and were simply too immature for the job. But senior management ignored many of the obvious warning signs, and major clients were lost. The 'cliquey' nature of the place contributes to a very negative and oppressive feeling day in and day out. Overall, its always a bit gloomy working at the Pasadena office, its like the place just has bad mojo. And its never really grown much as a result. Michigan on the other hand has exploded in size over the past 5 years, and people seem to have a more positive outlook on the situation there.

For the culture to change, you have to bring in new vision and personality and at the same time rid yourself of the old ways of thinking and behaving. Sometimes it just means replacing people. Germany would do well to replace the management team in its entirety. Build a solid artist team with mature responsible individuals and then bring in a real manager. Start over, small but this time make the right decisions. This is how they can restart to get their mojo back.

Good people, difficult environment.

Former Employee - 3D Artist  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - 3D Artist in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Rtt Usa full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are friendly, and some of the work is creative.

Cons

many times I felt like the planning per project was poor and overly driven to get the most out of everyone....I know this is a business and that's their goal but I was there for a while and just did not feel valued as an employee. Always felt like we were undervalueing our services and only trying to "do" what other studios did. The Fear of getting things right killed all creative freedom for us as a studio to explore what we could do best as a team.

dont drive the artists into the ground

Great place to start and nurture a career, I enjoy it quite a bit.

I have been working at Rtt Usa full-time

Pros

RTT is a great place to start a career and decipher what you want to apply energy toward and where you project yourself being in the future, should conditions allow. I have noticed that RTT is interested in putting you where your talents guide you to be while allowing you the freedom to branch out and involve yourself in other aspects of their workflow if that is something you wish to do. Just because you are hired for a particular position does not mean you have to stay there. During my initial interview I was told outright and furthermore encouraged to learn as much as possible about whatever interested me with intentions of moving in that direction. Alternatively, I've seen seasoned Aces come through and find themselves quite comfortable here. The Company also makes it a point to plan events and outings that encourages employees to interact socially. These take place fairly regularly, but are obviously more abundant in times of great stress on the employees. I, personally, appreciate the consideration as the office can become quite hectic at times with the amount of work to be done. Which can hardly be considered a bad thing, particularly so when applied within the realm of our current economy. The office has a very laid back and casual atmosphere and everyone gets along very well in both a professional and social aspect. I've personally taken note of the recognition of a job well done. You can't expect management to pat you on the back or give you a cookie every time you do something that works..However, if your work is consistent and you can be continuously relied upon; it is, in fact, noticed and rewarded. But to expect some sort of notification of such or a form of compensation for every successfully completed task is asking far too much from any company. It is, after all, your job.
    Become an asset to the company's success, everything else will fall into line.

Cons

I, myself, don't have much of anything negative to say about my experience here. Though, I can see where an artist becomes frustrated over the lack of diversity in projects to pack their personal reels with. However, I feel that this is a result of the gamut of RTT's work. There is quite a bit of attention to detail involved and it spans a fair amount of content. So when an artist comes in and proves their worth in any given area, they are relied on to perform in that area in order to maintain consistency and quality throughout. I barely consider this a con... But many artists may and I see why they might feel that way. A good way to look at it would be to consider one's self a specialist and to take pride in the fact that you are one of the best in what you do. Unfortunately, this is not an attitude many artists are willing to take on. You can't rightly consider this work that you can't take pride in. The complexity inherent to images comprised of thousands of individual assets that all layer together and function properly without negative or undesired visual ramifications is astounding when considered how many variables are at play. That's a large potential margin of error. I've seen it done immaculately and I've seen it done lazily. I say take pride in whatever it is you do and strive to be the best you can possibly be at it. Eventually someone will take note. Perseverance, perception and patience will always pay out.

My only real complaint is that there is no Pool Table.
    We need a Pool Table.

Handing out advice to management isn't really something I would do, myself. There is a reason they are where they are. They got there somehow. Who am I to think that my methods would function any more efficiently? They may or may not, but that is revealed with time. IF what they do works, they will continue to assist this company in growing as it has been for years. IF what they do isn't working, trust in the fact that it will be addressed and dealt with. As I said, performance doesn't go unnoticed, whether it be exemplary or poor performance, it is noted.

So, my advice, if any, would be to continue being perceptive of your surroundings and always be contemplative of what could be improved upon in all aspects. And always take opinions of employees and peers alike into consideration, no matter how large or insignificant they might seem.
    Perhaps, dare I say, be a tad more hands on?

RTT ROCKS!

I have been working at Rtt Usa full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

RTT is a great place to work. The company sits in the fun city of Royal Oak where many of us meet for happy hour, lunch breaks or enjoy a coffee break within walking distance of our office. The environment is casual, relaxed and fun. As a growing company, we offer so many incentives and rewards for all our hard working employees …such as special company outings, parties, pay raises when earned and quarterly bonuses which most places can’t afford now of days. RTT is rapidly growing both in its staff and technology. We compete with many vendors within the area, but I’ve yet to find another vendor who compares in our technology and creative services. Our CEO is wonderful and very involved with the company. His door is ALWAYS open and he encourages for people to voice their suggestions and opinions in how to improve the success and growth of the company. All management is very family oriented. If you have children and need to leave early or call in sick, they always accommodate and understand. The staff finds creative ways to make our 8-hour work day enjoyable (i.e. dart fights, push-up competitions, homemade breakfast, bagel day every Friday, ice-cream on hot days, Halloween parties and the BEST Christmas party in the city of Detroit). Taking a vacation is never an issue as we earn time off every day we work. I’ve worked for other companies within this industry and moving my career to RTT was the best decision I’ve ever made for me and my family. Stop by and check us out sometime, trust me you won’t want to leave!

Cons

The only thing I would consider as a “con” would be a lack of process and additional resources. The company manages very high-level accounts that consume all our time and attention. Implementing an internal work-flow process has always been a top priority, but has also been placed on the back-burner. Once management creates an efficient process for production and sales and hires additional resources to support all accounts, RTT will be unstoppable.

The success and growth of RTT comes from the staff and talented artist who apply many long-hours making deadlines. Always remember to respect, reward and acknowledge these people as they’re the true reason for RTT’s success, not the technology. Sometimes the words “Thank You” and “Keep up the Great Work” goes a lot further with people than a party and/or a pay increase.

Had a lot of potential, but turned into a sweat shop.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Rtt Usa

Pros

Good place to start a career in 3D. Relatively stable environment. If you like cars you will love the work, at least some of it and for a while.

Cons

Extremely repetitive work, expect many long hours. Once you get a grasp of it, it's the same thing over and over and over. No chance to grow as an artist. It will not help you building a reel, because most of what you do is the same thing, so even if the quality of your work is good it won't really help you to show other employers any diversity. A lot of it is also mind numbing CG work on the lowest possible level - things like car configurators, where artists are required to render literally thousands of little bits of vehicles in order to switch them out. Nothing you can be particularly proud of, and nothing any employer in the film/VFX industry will be even remotely impressed by.

At the same time upper management constantly tries to force people to work more and more with their inhouse tools instead of standard industry packages. Sadly, those tools were never made for this type of work, so they are horrible to work with plus, of course, after working there for a couple of years you have wasted a lot of time building up skills that will in no way be useful anywhere outside of RTT. Upper management however refuses to see this truth, and insists in acting like they're the greatest place on earth to work at and threaten or harass anybody who voices their frustration with the situation.
    In the beginning the place was promising, but over time, especially since the economic crisis of 2008, it has become more and more like a sweat shop with many employees being deeply dissatisfied.

Needless to mention, the pay is sub-standard, too.

Stop frustrating your artists with pipeline "optimizations" that simply make no sense. If you want to use your in-house products for production, have your software developers modify that horrible visualization tool of yours into something that can be actually used by artists doing production work.
    Don't expect the artists to work around the limitations of software that was made for a different purpose and somehow, "magically" make the tools do the work, just because you're too stingy and incompetent to invest the time and money to have the developers make them functional. Not to mention the inferior quality that comes out of those tools when compared to industry standards.

Worked for Rtt Usa? Contribute to the Community!