Ruan Transportation Management Systems

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experience at Ruan

Former Employee - Control Room Operator in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Control Room Operator in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the staff is friendly, the holidays bring out the decorations in the lobby area.

Cons

listening skills could use some work. Some management could use personnel supervision classes at DMACC.

Please amke sure that all personnel are well trained in their areas. Suggestion of Computer program of work areas in company that could run possible employees through a simulation of what they might experience in the job.

Just ok

Former Employee - Corporate in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Corporate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers, challenging work, great team atmosphere

Cons

Terrible health insurance, little time off, definitely a place where favorites get ahead and the rest go nowhere

I had a very poor experience as an employee of this company.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There were no pros to speak of.

Cons

I was micro-managed and then terminated due to a health condition.

I would strongly advise you to reconsider how you handle employees that are brought on board with the expectation of being assigned high-level, challenging projects who are then only given administrative tasks once on board. I would also advise being more receptive to each person's individual challenges as terminating employees the way I was terminated only breeds resentment and frustration amongst the other staff members. Also, it is a challenge to run a business that is being run by second or third generation family members because most of the staff look at those individuals as not being effective leaders but having gotten the position(s) simply as a result of being the next family member in line for the job.

Logistics

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Ruan Transportation Management Systems part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed the projects and the work environment.

Cons

Some times micro you are managed.

Nothing.

the worst benefits

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time

Pros

Lots of different opportunities for drivers, if you are flexible with the hours you want to work and the accounts you will work with.

Cons

I think the benefits are lacking in so many ways. Only a 30% match 401k. Health insurance is self insured with Wellmark handling billing and payments. You will waste a lot of time calling doctor office's asking them to write letters to Wellmark just to get you prescriptions filled(just about every prescription). You will be faxing receipts and forms to them to verify flex spend account expenses. I hope you like jumping threw the hoops.

If you want safe quality drivers you will need to make it a place that drivers want to work. That means quality pay and benefits. I will be seeking other employment with better trucking companies. I have a spotless driving record with a great work ethic. Looks like Ruan lost another good driver.

Ruan could be a good company to work for but is plagued by poor management.

Former Employee - PC Tech in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - PC Tech in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Ruan Transportation Management Systems

Pros

Ruan is a small company and when time permits I was able to talk to other IT departments to learn about their fields.

Cons

Ruan IT has ignorant, outdated and arrogant management. The manager of computer services is not skilled at today's latest trends in the desktop environment and relies on other managers. He lacks the ability to manage, when I started he managed six employees and was reduced to two employees then once due to his lack of ability to manage employees.

Ruan management needs to completely overhaul their IT management. They have lost many quality employees while keep the same poor management.