Ruan Transportation Management Systems

John Ruan III

Great company

Current Employee - Dispatch Manager in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Dispatch Manager in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work. Big company security and small company atmosphere. I think its great to have both benefits of working for a large company to make sure your pay check is guaranteed and you have the family oriented atmosphere.

Cons

I don't have anything to complaints about, I may say long hours, but it is part of the business.

Just ok

Former Employee - Corporate in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Corporate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers, challenging work, great team atmosphere

Cons

Terrible health insurance, little time off, definitely a place where favorites get ahead and the rest go nowhere

money is there, the management is more absent than penguins in hawaii

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Falls, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Falls, IA

I have been working at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time

Pros

the money is the only thing keeping anybody there.

Cons

there is not enough room to say everything wrong with this company. The management is a joke, the trucks are not maintained or even repaired when written up for months. Mechanics do not sign off dvir when or if repaired. so much more. bottom line is if your chasing money its there, but forget having a life outside Ruin transportation and that is not a typo. Over 30 different dispatchers in last 8 yrs.

they wont listen anyhow because a driver suggested it. You will be branded if you do suggest and retaliatory dispatch is very obvious and supervisors are told to leave this or that driver off the schedule as punishment.

Lack of Direction

Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor
    Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor

I worked at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Little downtime.
    - Great if you enjoy being busy constantly.
    - Decent benefits (time off.)

Cons

- Lack of direction from upper management.
    - Will hold on to poor employees far too long, and pass up those ore deserving.
    - More driven by dollar savings than employee performance.
    - Health package is extremely poor. Normal family cannot afford regular healthcare needs.

- Ensure you can function properly.

ruan

Current Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

relaxing environment, open to promotion within,

Cons

no bonuses, no supports, bad technology

you'll work 24/7 due to drivers being over road that need help.

They don't care your just a number.

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Middletown, DE
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Middletown, DE

I worked at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The good things are when you walk away the relief.

Cons

Management love to push drivers and hide it they are nasty will lie to drivers and the customer there trun over rate is high the stress with the drivers is at a high not a good place to work I wish now I never wasted my time there.

Management are the worst in middletown upper and lower

I had a very poor experience as an employee of this company.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Des Moines, IA

Pros

There were no pros to speak of.

Cons

I was micro-managed and then terminated due to a health condition.

I would strongly advise you to reconsider how you handle employees that are brought on board with the expectation of being assigned high-level, challenging projects who are then only given administrative tasks once on board. I would also advise being more receptive to each person's individual challenges as terminating employees the way I was terminated only breeds resentment and frustration amongst the other staff members. Also, it is a challenge to run a business that is being run by second or third generation family members because most of the staff look at those individuals as not being effective leaders but having gotten the position(s) simply as a result of being the next family member in line for the job.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Rialto, CA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Rialto, CA

I have been working at Ruan Transportation Management Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, flexible schedule. I work on a dedicated local account. The salary is higher than most others in the area, and the management is flexible and accommodates my school schedule. Benefits are good for the most part.

Cons

Management does not promote drivers to office positions. New supervisors are mostly young college graduates who have no transportation experience and have no understanding of trucking, truck mechanics, trucking jargon or realities of driving a big truck. Incompetence is tolerated among drivers and management and safety is just a slogan. When I spoke to my local safety manager and attempted to discuss safety related news, I was told that he only repeats what the company tells him and demonstrated no real interest in safety. If safety was truly valued, trucks would be properly maintained. There is no real trucking culture, at least not at my account. I attribute this to supervisors with no trucking experience.

Promote drivers from within. I know upper management thinks drivers are a dime a dozen, but drivers bring an understanding and empathy to the office that you cannot train or cultivate. Listen to the advice drivers have, with a driver shortage always a concern, raising morale should be a priority if you want to keep your drivers from leaving. Bringing in college grads to groom them for other accounts is not the way to go. I'm embarrassed by some of the mistakes and incompetence I see from these so-called supervisors. Do not accept anything from drivers and management except excellence.

Great education in dedicated fleet

Former Employee - Terminal Manager in Middletown, DE
    Former Employee - Terminal Manager in Middletown, DE

Pros

Strong dedicated carrier of goods

Cons

pressure packed job that requires strong management ability

None

You are not valued

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Meridian, ID

Pros

You have the opportunity to work local routes so you are home every day. The pay is better than if you work for an OTR company.

Cons

I was promised a swing shift and that the dairies close at 7pm. Not once did I ever get a swing shift schedule unless you consider a 5pm to 5am schedule swing shift.
    The $200 reimbursement for a gym is a joke. I submitted all of the paperwork and receipt and was never compensated.
    I was let go due to an error I made that did cost the company money. Rightly so. I would like to challenge, however, that when you work on average 12 hour days (with 14 hour days sprinkled in) you will eventually become tired enough that your cognitive functioning will become impaired. This, I believe, is what happened to me. Working overnight shift, complicated with too many hours week after week, left me extremely tired and impaired my decision making skills. I would suggest the next time the company asks how we can make safety a top priority and reduce accidents, they look at how hard they work their employees and how that impacts their cognitive functioning!
    Or do I need to explain to management what cognitive functioning means?

Listen to your employees. They have ideas. They are out in the field every day. They can tell you what works and what doesn't work. When you have a high rate of turnover, might it be that your processes and business model may be the culprit?