Ruan Transportation Management Systems

Add Photos

John Ruan III

Frustrating

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Rialto, CA

ProsGreat pay, flexible schedule. I work on a dedicated local account. The salary is higher than most others in the area, and the management is flexible and accommodates my school schedule. Benefits are good for the most part.

ConsManagement does not promote drivers to office positions. New supervisors are mostly young college graduates who have no transportation experience and have no understanding of trucking, truck mechanics, trucking jargon or realities of driving a big truck. Incompetence is tolerated among drivers and management and safety is just a slogan. When I spoke to my local safety manager and attempted to discuss safety related news, I was told that he only repeats what the company tells him and demonstrated no real interest in safety. If safety was truly valued, trucks would be properly maintained. There is no real trucking culture, at least not at my account. I attribute this to supervisors with no trucking experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote drivers from within. I know upper management thinks drivers are a dime a dozen, but drivers bring an understanding and empathy to the office that you cannot train or cultivate. Listen to the advice drivers have, with a driver shortage always a concern, raising morale should be a priority if you want to keep your drivers from leaving. Bringing in college grads to groom them for other accounts is not the way to go. I'm embarrassed by some of the mistakes and incompetence I see from these so-called supervisors. Do not accept anything from drivers and management except excellence.

Great education in dedicated fleet

Terminal Manager (Former Employee) Middletown, DE

ProsStrong dedicated carrier of goods

Conspressure packed job that requires strong management ability

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

You are not valued

Truck Driver (Former Employee) Meridian, ID

ProsYou have the opportunity to work local routes so you are home every day. The pay is better than if you work for an OTR company.

ConsI was promised a swing shift and that the dairies close at 7pm. Not once did I ever get a swing shift schedule unless you consider a 5pm to 5am schedule swing shift.
    The $200 reimbursement for a gym is a joke. I submitted all of the paperwork and receipt and was never compensated.
    I was let go due to an error I made that did cost the company money. Rightly so. I would like to challenge, however, that when you work on average 12 hour days (with 14 hour days sprinkled in) you will eventually become tired enough that your cognitive functioning will become impaired. This, I believe, is what happened to me. Working overnight shift, complicated with too many hours week after week, left me extremely tired and impaired my decision making skills. I would suggest the next time the company asks how we can make safety a top priority and reduce accidents, they look at how hard they work their employees and how that impacts their cognitive functioning!
    Or do I need to explain to management what cognitive functioning means?

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They have ideas. They are out in the field every day. They can tell you what works and what doesn't work. When you have a high rate of turnover, might it be that your processes and business model may be the culprit?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Ruan Way is the Wrong Way

Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsNot too many. One thing to be fair, my compensation is decent for the job that I'm doing. Also, work/life balance is good.

ConsThis company, from the top down, is very bureaucratic and devoid of any structure. There is no onsite HR personnel. There are no standards for attendance, discipline, or productivity. Enforcement of these things are at the whim of each supervisor. Abject exploitation of temp labor is ridiculous. There is no temp to hire here. Maybe after a year if your lucky...if you're still there. Turn over is out of control. Their mission statement says that the use best workers in the industry. $11 an hour labor is not the best crew. The saying " you get what you pay for" goes for people as well. They're still paying the work pimps $4/hr/worker, so the only cost savings really is in the cost of benefits. They do not provide me the proper tools to do my job: labor,space, equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so cheap. I hate to break it to you, but running a business costs money. I know you make a killing on your accounts and you run your own bank for gods sake. Plow some money into your business.

Lack of efficiency across the board

Transportation Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsFree Health insurance, good pay for the position

ConsLack of corporate knowledge of support. Weak systems hardware and software

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk how you can be of help instead of demanding to be served.

Great atmosphere

ProsGreat team to work with. Very caring management

ConsAs a third party contractor, work environment depends a lot on each customer

Advice to Senior ManagementMore feedback

they expect a lot but are willing to pay for it

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Cedar Falls, IA

Prosgreat pay dedicated customer on site maintenance

Conslong hours poor communication customer comes first, loads need to go no matter what.

Advice to Senior Managementrealize that the employees are just as important as the customer

Terrible with sub par management

Route Driver (Current Employee) Middletown, DE

ProsGood pay, decent benefits, close to home. Other than that I can't think of anything positive to say about this location as this is one of the worst jobs I have ever had due to POOR management.

ConsManagement will lie to get you to do things. Seniority means nothing they take loads you bid on. The union is WEAK at this location they don't even come to the meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop preaching Safety then asking driver to work over their 14 hr rule then write them up for doing what was demanded of them. To HR you may want to investigate the terminal manager and his cronies for illegal, and unethical practices on the job. Being a top producer at the expense of good drivers is beginning to show. You have lost over 20 driver and about 5 more planning to leave by the first of the year due to POOR management at this location. Howard has been known to jump in peoples faces then pulls the insubordinate card them.. WOW

Great Company

Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat company to work for, they care about the employees and make an effort to balance home life. Would highly recommend this company.

ConsOnly down side is that the corporate structure is a little bit of a mystery when you are working remote, other than that it is a great company.

Very happy with this job

Route Driver (Current Employee) Show Low, AZ

Proshome everyday, good pay, great benifits, great company, boss's are great, trucks are new, vacation time after 1 year, safety program is top notch

ConsI cant think of any

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Ruan Transportation Management Systems? Contribute to the Community!