Rubenstein Associates

A Stepping Stone Job for New Graduates

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Rubenstein Associates full-time

Pros

-If you're a new graduate, you will find a lot of people your own age
    -You work great events and assist with some top-tier clients
    -You will build many connections to people that end up all over the city (and in some cases, the country). This makes for great networking
    -You can work in entertainment, legal, nonprofit, real estate, and a few others - so you're sure to find clients you like
    -They do offer health insurance & dental
    -New York City!

The events are really great. You can meet a lot of celebrities and help out at a lot of red carpet events. Examples include Tribeca Film Festival, New Year's Eve Ball Drop and TIME100.

Cons

-Low salary - so low that one of the first questions in an interview is, "where will you live?" The salary is pretty standard for a new graduate in my opinion, but extremely low for a new graduate in New York City. Most of the assistants live with roommates and event then still require help from the bank of mom & dad
    -The work gets very repetitive (making lists of media outlets to pitch and writing press releases).
    -You don't get to pitch new clients, which is one of the things I loved learning about in college
    -It's a very cut-and-dry PR company. There are a lot of connections within the company and most of clients have been clients for years. There is not a lot of "Break into new markets! Let's be creative!" moments. It's a lot of press releases and events. But mostly press releases.

Overall, I'd say working for Rubenstein Associates / Rubenstein Communications is pretty much what you make of it. Living in the city is great and this job allows for an instant friend-base. Just be friendly! The turnover rate for assistants is about a year and many people leave after (and some before) that. Assistants feel very replaceable. Promotions are usually offered at about a year and half but the way they do promotions is kind of ridiculous (many people don't get one and are then moved around until they leave). The clients will look great on a resume, though. You'll know within the first month or so if this is the place you want to be.

There's not much advice to give unless the structure of the business changes. I'd like to see the assistants have a client to work with by themselves rather than just administrative duties a lot for the larger clients. The retention rate may improve if the assistants feel less replaceable.

Misery

Former Employee - Account Coordinator
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator

I worked at Rubenstein Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Massive, established clients like Tribeca Film Festival, Yankees, SuperBowl, and Lionsgate. A lot of young graduates that become close friends. Some of the executives provide great mentorship, largely because they know how absurd the ethics of Rubenstein is.

Cons

No room for promotion or growth; assistants (account coordinators, floaters, associate account executives) are treated like cattle. Low pay with no opportunity for promotions or raises. Turnover is rampant, and you have no say in where you are placed or within what group. HR does not care if you do not mesh well with your account execs--they would rather you leave than fix a situation. HR also hosts quarterly staff meetings to feign interest in lower staff concerns which is merely a guise. Ex. Don't allow assistants to have business cards as they don't, "encourage them to have client interaction." Overall, a totally antiquated firm that despite the luster of the name itself will continue to decline if doesn't move into modernity and adapt new methods and approaches for clients.

Associate Account Executive

I worked at Rubenstein Associates

Pros

Great place to learn "old school" PR and for a first job, fast paced environment with big name clients, quarterly happy hours, monthly bagel breakfasts

Cons

Management can be unprofessional and nasty, entry level staff does not receive appropriate training (trial by fire atmosphere), management plays favorites and there is consistent gossip throughout the firm, the environment is extremely catty- so be ready for anything. Salary is very low with very high expectation of speed and quality of work- overworked and underpaid creating a high turnover rate.

Install a training program for the young talent within the firm

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst law office ever!!!!!

Former Employee - Pre Litigation Assistant  in  Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Pre Litigation Assistant in Plantation, FL

I worked at Rubenstein Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees were really nice but that was about it!

Cons

Where do I even begin?!?!? This place was by far the worst place I have ever worked at. The micromanaging within the company is unbearable! They're constantly running reports to check your productivity and that's why most people cheat their checklist. You have something called a "presence" page where u have to update where your at all the time! Supervisors are dime a dozen here! You have a million of them and not enough employees to dictate! To top it off they won't even give you a raise if you do get promoted. Robert Rubenstein says he's not giving you a raise because he's giving you the opportunity to learn! They will exploit you. They will require that you keep 176 files up to date while providing costumer service all the time. If a client complains about you then rest assure your supervisor will get on you. Supervisors and attorneys are NEVER on the same page so expect to be given mixed answers when asking questions! It's just unprofessional! It was like working at a sweatshop! Worst law firm hands down!

Get it together people! I've never worked at such an unprofessional law firm and underpaid at that! Appreciate your employees and stop exploiting them!

I Still Have Nightmares

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Rubenstein Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy work as they haven't grown past just pitching media and charging retainers of 10,000 or less - a family operation from senior to junior

Cons

Everything - from the smell of the carpet to the screams and lies from upper management to literally watching my supervisor throw a chair at a colleague

Retire, say good night, let individuals who know what they are doing do real PR

Boot camp for the PR profession

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Rubenstein Associates full-time

Pros

Great place for beginners to learn the PR business at warp speed

Cons

The environment is conducive to developing GI symptoms and hypertension. Account personnel carry far more accounts than can be serviced appropriately. Lower-tier clients get churned.

You pay more for your help because you need to stop overloading account personnel.

It sounds like things haven't changed much

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Rubenstein Associates full-time

Pros

The Rubenstein name is legendary in New York City and public relations. I was an assistant account executive (basically, an executive assistant) several years ago, and that was my last job in PR. It was grunt work, though I did have a couple of opportunities to write press releases. I worked events - some interesting and fun, some not so much. I also had the opportunity to build contacts (although I didn't because eventually I decided I didn't want to do PR anymore). The publicists I worked for were supportive, but some of their clients were overbearing.

Cons

Low pay, obviously - I lived with my parents just outside the city and bought all my clothes from H&M and Old Navy. Don't expect a promotion. It was nice to work with others around my age, but I had little in common with the AAEs who were there at the time, and often felt I was reliving my high-school outcast years (another sign PR wasn't for me). I didn't get paid for events I worked after hours or on weekends - and I did a lot of those. PR should be an industry that has its finger on the pulse of technology and the modern world, but it sounds like the company is still taking an old-fashioned approach. It still works for the company, of course, but I don't know if that makes it a good place to work for a young adult who learned about the cutting-edge field of PR in college.

Do not work here

I worked at Rubenstein Associates

Pros

If you have no PR experience, this is a great place to start as you will get decent media relations experience

Cons

Turnover is encouraged to keep salaries low. VPs treat account coordinators like slaves. Expect to do a lot of lunch and coffee runs, personal tasks (I.e. Plan your bosses vacations or complete their child's homework) and anything else degrading you can think of.

The office is also embarrassingly dirty and dated (I.e. tiles falling off the wall in the bathrooms).

Hands down the worst firm to work for. You will be broken down day in and day out, not given much responsibility and have no real growth opportunity. Unless your desperate for a job, do not work here.

If anyone tells you they are happy at Rubenstein and wants to "pass along your résumé" it is just because they get a $500 bonus if you take the job - don't be fooled, they're miserable and just looking for some cash!

If you have good PR internship experience or even full time experience taking a job at Rubenstein would be like taking two steps backward. Do not be charmed by their high profile clients - most likely, you won't be doing account work anyway.

This place runs like a corrupt well-oiled machine. The only way to change it would be to scrap and start over.

No room for upward mobility or career development

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Rubenstein Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a well known name in the industry

Cons

There is no room for growth or career development. You are not given a lot of opportunity to further your skills aside from administrative tasks. Support staff is neglected. They did not even order lunch for our 12:00 PM staff meetings. Salary is low and there are no pay bonuses or increases.

Great stepping stone for recent graduates

I have been working at Rubenstein Associates

Pros

If you want to get involved in working in events this is a great place to start. Lots of opportunity to work major events. Great place for recent graduates looking to enter the PR industry.

Cons

There is no growth for an assistant. Very corporate and very large gap between junior and senior staff. Company is also a bit old fashioned and should welcome new ideas.

Management should invest in their junior staff including assistants and floaters.

Worked for Rubenstein Associates? Contribute to the Community!