Rubenstein Associates

Be The First To
Add Photos

Howard J Rubenstein

A Stepping Stone Job for New Graduates

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros-If you're a new graduate, you will find a lot of people your own age
    -You work great events and assist with some top-tier clients
    -You will build many connections to people that end up all over the city (and in some cases, the country). This makes for great networking
    -You can work in entertainment, legal, nonprofit, real estate, and a few others - so you're sure to find clients you like
    -They do offer health insurance & dental
    -New York City!

The events are really great. You can meet a lot of celebrities and help out at a lot of red carpet events. Examples include Tribeca Film Festival, New Year's Eve Ball Drop and TIME100.

Cons-Low salary - so low that one of the first questions in an interview is, "where will you live?" The salary is pretty standard for a new graduate in my opinion, but extremely low for a new graduate in New York City. Most of the assistants live with roommates and event then still require help from the bank of mom & dad
    -The work gets very repetitive (making lists of media outlets to pitch and writing press releases).
    -You don't get to pitch new clients, which is one of the things I loved learning about in college
    -It's a very cut-and-dry PR company. There are a lot of connections within the company and most of clients have been clients for years. There is not a lot of "Break into new markets! Let's be creative!" moments. It's a lot of press releases and events. But mostly press releases.

Overall, I'd say working for Rubenstein Associates / Rubenstein Communications is pretty much what you make of it. Living in the city is great and this job allows for an instant friend-base. Just be friendly! The turnover rate for assistants is about a year and many people leave after (and some before) that. Assistants feel very replaceable. Promotions are usually offered at about a year and half but the way they do promotions is kind of ridiculous (many people don't get one and are then moved around until they leave). The clients will look great on a resume, though. You'll know within the first month or so if this is the place you want to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's not much advice to give unless the structure of the business changes. I'd like to see the assistants have a client to work with by themselves rather than just administrative duties a lot for the larger clients. The retention rate may improve if the assistants feel less replaceable.

Associate Account Executive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to learn "old school" PR and for a first job, fast paced environment with big name clients, quarterly happy hours, monthly bagel breakfasts

ConsManagement can be unprofessional and nasty, entry level staff does not receive appropriate training (trial by fire atmosphere), management plays favorites and there is consistent gossip throughout the firm, the environment is extremely catty- so be ready for anything. Salary is very low with very high expectation of speed and quality of work- overworked and underpaid creating a high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstall a training program for the young talent within the firm

Worst law office ever!!!!!

Pre Litigation Assistant (Former Employee)
    Plantation, FL

ProsEmployees were really nice but that was about it!

ConsWhere do I even begin?!?!? This place was by far the worst place I have ever worked at. The micromanaging within the company is unbearable! They're constantly running reports to check your productivity and that's why most people cheat their checklist. You have something called a "presence" page where u have to update where your at all the time! Supervisors are dime a dozen here! You have a million of them and not enough employees to dictate! To top it off they won't even give you a raise if you do get promoted. Robert Rubenstein says he's not giving you a raise because he's giving you the opportunity to learn! They will exploit you. They will require that you keep 176 files up to date while providing costumer service all the time. If a client complains about you then rest assure your supervisor will get on you. Supervisors and attorneys are NEVER on the same page so expect to be given mixed answers when asking questions! It's just unprofessional! It was like working at a sweatshop! Worst law firm hands down!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together people! I've never worked at such an unprofessional law firm and underpaid at that! Appreciate your employees and stop exploiting them!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boot camp for the PR profession

New York, NY

ProsGreat place for beginners to learn the PR business at warp speed

ConsThe environment is conducive to developing GI symptoms and hypertension. Account personnel carry far more accounts than can be serviced appropriately. Lower-tier clients get churned.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou pay more for your help because you need to stop overloading account personnel.

I Still Have Nightmares

Vice President (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsEasy work as they haven't grown past just pitching media and charging retainers of 10,000 or less - a family operation from senior to junior

ConsEverything - from the smell of the carpet to the screams and lies from upper management to literally watching my supervisor throw a chair at a colleague

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire, say good night, let individuals who know what they are doing do real PR

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

It sounds like things haven't changed much

Assistant Account Executive (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe Rubenstein name is legendary in New York City and public relations. I was an assistant account executive (basically, an executive assistant) several years ago, and that was my last job in PR. It was grunt work, though I did have a couple of opportunities to write press releases. I worked events - some interesting and fun, some not so much. I also had the opportunity to build contacts (although I didn't because eventually I decided I didn't want to do PR anymore). The publicists I worked for were supportive, but some of their clients were overbearing.

ConsLow pay, obviously - I lived with my parents just outside the city and bought all my clothes from H&M and Old Navy. Don't expect a promotion. It was nice to work with others around my age, but I had little in common with the AAEs who were there at the time, and often felt I was reliving my high-school outcast years (another sign PR wasn't for me). I didn't get paid for events I worked after hours or on weekends - and I did a lot of those. PR should be an industry that has its finger on the pulse of technology and the modern world, but it sounds like the company is still taking an old-fashioned approach. It still works for the company, of course, but I don't know if that makes it a good place to work for a young adult who learned about the cutting-edge field of PR in college.

Do not work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you have no PR experience, this is a great place to start as you will get decent media relations experience

ConsTurnover is encouraged to keep salaries low. VPs treat account coordinators like slaves. Expect to do a lot of lunch and coffee runs, personal tasks (I.e. Plan your bosses vacations or complete their child's homework) and anything else degrading you can think of.

The office is also embarrassingly dirty and dated (I.e. tiles falling off the wall in the bathrooms).

Hands down the worst firm to work for. You will be broken down day in and day out, not given much responsibility and have no real growth opportunity. Unless your desperate for a job, do not work here.

If anyone tells you they are happy at Rubenstein and wants to "pass along your résumé" it is just because they get a $500 bonus if you take the job - don't be fooled, they're miserable and just looking for some cash!

If you have good PR internship experience or even full time experience taking a job at Rubenstein would be like taking two steps backward. Do not be charmed by their high profile clients - most likely, you won't be doing account work anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place runs like a corrupt well-oiled machine. The only way to change it would be to scrap and start over.

No room for upward mobility or career development

Assistant Account Executive (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIt's a well known name in the industry

ConsThere is no room for growth or career development. You are not given a lot of opportunity to further your skills aside from administrative tasks. Support staff is neglected. They did not even order lunch for our 12:00 PM staff meetings. Salary is low and there are no pay bonuses or increases.

Great stepping stone for recent graduates

ProsIf you want to get involved in working in events this is a great place to start. Lots of opportunity to work major events. Great place for recent graduates looking to enter the PR industry.

ConsThere is no growth for an assistant. Very corporate and very large gap between junior and senior staff. Company is also a bit old fashioned and should welcome new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should invest in their junior staff including assistants and floaters.

My experience here thus far has been great.

AAE (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou have an opportunity to meet a lot of people in the city as well as obtain great experience.

ConsThe promotion system is not that great.

Worked for Rubenstein Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rubenstein Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rubenstein Associates CEO Howard J Rubenstein . All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Rubenstein Associates employees.