Rubicon Project Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.8

Rubicon Project CEO & Founder Frank Addante
Frank Addante

Overall, a good place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Rubicon Project full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people; 'unlimited time off' is a huge perk, although most don't take that much. They also give the week of July 4th and a week between Christmas and New Years, although many are on call during that time as it is a 7x24 shop with international customers. Compensation is good and the CEO really makes an effort to promote culture.

Cons

Open work environment; we have smallish desks with no walls, in rows where you're pretty close to the next person, and it can rather noisy at times. Also, the chairs are not very good and it seems you can only get a decent one if you have an injury and make a case. As it is a 7x24 shop it requires overnight and weekend pager-duty to fix issues for most in the engineering group.

Consider adding a matching 401K program.

Mixed bag with lots of landmines

I have been working at Rubicon Project

Pros

Rubicon Project is a tough place to gauge as the culture can vary greatly between business functions. On one hand, it's a company with driven and intelligent people. On the other, it's still very much a startup trying to find it's identity in a crowded space. Rubicon Project is for people who want to contribute immediately and don't mind working incredible amounts of OT day to day. There are free lunches, free breakfasts, free coffee and snacks and game room.

Cons

Management goes to great lengths to "promote" culture, yet it's mostly contrived and the senior management will not stick to the culture that they try so hard to get you to adhere to. If you're not based out of the HQ office, most of the fringe benefits will not extend to you. The old boys' club culture is inescapable. Intimidation is rife as titles are extremely top-heavy with Type A+ personalities. For Engineers, the roles are incredibly demanding (don't think that you will grow here working 9-5 and just getting your stuff done), but you will generally, be recognized. For non-Engineers, recognition and job stability is spotty. PTO can rarely be used in reality, even if there is "unlimited" PTO.

If You're a Visual Designer, Look Elsewhere

Former Employee - Senior Visual Designer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Visual Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rubicon Project as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

A very well-intentioned company with big plans on the horizon. Well funded and just went public. Catered lunches.

Cons

Very new to the prospect of having a UI/UX team and not very sympathetic to their issues.

If a great user experience is important to you, hire a Creative Director with management skills and proven sensibilities to foster a great team, and more importantly, a superb product. Time to look at your company culture and re-assess where it's broken. Bad communication, unbalanced and slow attention to problems.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Culture of blame and no accountability

I worked at Rubicon Project

Pros

the people on the ground know what they are doing and do what they can to keep things afloat

Cons

there is a horrible culture of blame with leaders that do not care much for maintaining it. You are given a orientation that culture matters and that they are a company of opportunity. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Get off your high horse and talk to your actual employees. Middle management is not doing their job

Cant Complain !

Current Employee - Production Systems Engineering  in  Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Production Systems Engineering in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Rubicon Project as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Getting to work with Rubicon's servers serving ads and having strong SLA requirements (4 9s) something which interns rarely get to work with(so I was told).
    - Working with a cool team, everyone is chill and friendly, gracious with their time to help the interns out and also debate with us on possible solutions rather than forcing something upon us
    - Fully stocked kitchen and free lunch
    - Freedom to try new things and fail

Cons

- Missing out on a of week of internship due to company policy to have week of July 4th off every year, Well I'm workaholic so this is a con might it be fun if you are looking a nice summer break !

Great company and team that foster & nurture personal development, and collaboration.

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Rubicon Project full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great and talented Engineers, that support each other, weekly fun activities, free lunch and beer is an awesome perk, including the 2 weeks out of the year added vacation.

Cons

It will be great to have a 401k retirement matching.

Management in my team is awesome, I couldn't ask for better managers!

More training opportunity would be great as we're now at 2nd generation networking (heavy virtualization emphasis,) and seeing it evolving rapidly we might be in 3rd generation soon, this is strategic to steering the company's direction overall and spark new ideas and innovation.

Searching for a demanding AND rewarding career? Look no further.

Current Employee - Associate Software Development Engineer  in  Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Development Engineer in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Rubicon Project full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am compensated what I think I'm worth. On top of that, their benefits lend well to my lifestyle.

I work with very intelligent and driven people, which keeps me hungry and performing at my best. The culture is wonderful and everyone across the company is very accommodating. I've had chats with the CEO when we've both biked into work and he's a really down to earth and nice guy. Definitely the best place I've worked at because of the work hard play hard mentality.

Cons

I've worked on projects with people across the globe and sometimes getting face time with the right people can be difficult and impedes progress.

Maturing company that still suffers from growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Director - Product & Technology  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director - Product & Technology in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Rubicon Project full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great work/life balance supported from the top-down. Friendly PTO policy (unlimited), health benefits and flexible hours and schedules for anybody who needs it.
    - Flexible career opportunities. Roles have become well-defined over the past year (a sign of a maturing company) and opportunities exist for everybody to be able to transition to various roles (be it within their own department or across departments). Many, including myself, have benefited from informal reviews leading to both commensurate compensation and title changes.
    - Friendly work culture. In LA's HQ as well as other offices that I have visited, the culture has always been supportive and collaborative. The company regularly schedules team-building events in the form of happy hours, off-sites and in-office collaboration sessions.

Cons

-Top-heavy. Far too many VP- and C-level management for a company this size. Although most do a good job getting out of the way, there are often instances where confusion from the top gets in the way of projects successfully moving the business forward across the entire company. I suspect this will remain an issue until the company hires additional employees to help cover the various needs of the business (i.e. leaders are in place, but there remains lots of hiring to be done to execute on all of the initiatives these leaders help drive).
    -Informal HR practices. Annual reviews have only recently started and overall the HR practices for hiring as well as day-to-day people management needs more formality. Too many unwritten policies or poorly defined processes leads to confusion and discomfort amongst the employee base.
    -No 401k match. Now that the company has reached a maturing stage, based on the size of the business, a 401k match ought to be the norm, not something to be discussed for the future.

Stop hiring VPs and focus attention on hiring employees who will come in and take initiatives from a white board and make them into actual completed projects. Focus, make decisions quickly and prioritize. All companies have resource constraints, high-growth companies make decisions quickly and prioritize initiatives in a stack-ranked manner instead of moving slowly towards multiple initiatives at once to appease all.

fast-moving hi-tech

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Rubicon Project full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Primarily, the work is Interesting: large-scale web-services projects.
    Also, great perks and benefits: both everyday food and drinks, regular parties, behind-the scenes things like subsidized gym and cel phone, and of course hi-quality health insurance.
    Small enough that individuals can make a difference, yet large enough to have decent resources.

Cons

IT policy of only one computer per person. Inconsistent teleconference technologies in use. Not much in the way of training.

A Breath of Fresh Air

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Rubicon Project full-time for more than a year

Pros

Firstly, compensation was great. Benefits, "perks", and bonuses are also superb. Rubicon Project is the first company I have been at that has been driven by quarterly goals, which has its pros. Being driven 100% by quarterly goals we are able to see progress each week and when the time comes to step up and meet goals created for you, you get to really show what you're capable of (the departments bonus % depends on it). I see some complaints regarding culture here, but I personally don't have anything but good things to say about it. It's treated like a product and a lot of hard work goes in to it. Hours are great, and unlimited PTO is definitely a pro as well (as long as you are doing great work and your manager approves! :) . I have seen the availability to exercise your career path first hand, you just need to relay your desires and needs to management. Catered lunch every day is also a huge pro.

Cons

Bonuses can be manipulated based on factors out of your control. I believe this is being worked on and this will be the first quarter where this isn't an issue any longer. The office can be a bit noisy (HQ).

People who are visibly burned out should be asked if they want a vacation, even if it's a short one. Some people over work themselves and don't have the courage sometimes to ask because in-turn, if they do so, it sometimes seems like slacking off. Stacked quarterly goals plays a big factor in this. Four quarters straight with stacked goals leaves little to no room for a breather.

Worked for Rubicon Project? Contribute to the Community!