Rubin Museum Of Art

Updated March 25, 2015
11 reviews filtered by
3.5
Patrick Sears

1. Excellent opportunity to learn and grow.

Former Employee - Publicity in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Publicity in New York, NY

I worked at Rubin Museum Of Art

Pros

People here are passionate about their work, and even for those not familiar with Himalayan art, the energy and enthusiasm is contagious, and you quickly learn a lot and join the museum's mission.

Cons

It can sometimes be difficult to innovate and carry out new concepts.

Advice to Management

There is value in hearing the feedback from the "shop floor" so to speak.

2. Great place to work

I worked at Rubin Museum Of Art

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere, great experience

Cons

Pay, high turnover rate, and a lot of emails

Amazing institution to gain experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Rubin Museum Of Art as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Small, young museum - provides many opportunities to work with staff across whole institution, so you are not siloed into a narrow area of focus. High quality programming and thoughtful staff to collaborate with. Great place for young staff to gain lots of experience and contribute in meaningful ways.

Cons

Really narrow collection focus could be limiting to some. Since they are a small staff it's really all hands on deck which also might not appeal to others.

5. Great for young professionals

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Rubin Museum Of Art full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff has incredible energy and dedication

Cons

Sometimes slow to enact change

6. It's the bottom of the Himalayas!

I worked at Rubin Museum Of Art full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very cultured (aka snobbish). Great programs and admissions to other museums is a perk. Easy commute, nice neighborhood, close to Union Square. Decent benefits if you worked full time. No matter what weird supplies I ordered, the woman who handles it always came through for me with a smile. Youngish employees

Cons

Lousy benefits if you worked part time. Top heavy management with disconnected titles that don't mean anything and were never backed up with a decent salary increase if you got a promotion. They have their favorites and those are the people who got promoted or got bonuses. The main reason they promoted from within or changed people's titles was so they could get out of paying overtime. My colleagues in other museums, who did exactly the same work as I did got paid overtime but I didn't. If you were paid per hour, forget earning overtime. They gave out exalted titles which doesn’t carry the clout that it used to and colleagues at other museums laughed at the titles the museum was using. Since there has been a change in management, some departments that used to be premiere have dwindled and have felt the loss of some of their stronger and more experienced staff. The leadership should go to the staff for ideas and then reward them. I get that the museum doesn't want a large staff but I think they should have hired more guest curators. Financially the museum is well-funded by the Rubin family but the money is dwindling and the people who manage the finances on a daily basis are a joke. Most come and go whenever they please and do not work 40 hours. Some of the executive management are loud and obnoxious and acted better than everyone. One executive was disrespectful and yelled at me several times even though I didn’t report to them. Executive management abuses their privileges and take cabs on the museum's dime and eats at the museum's café for free. It was obvious that the museum needed more administrative support but I think using interns and volunteers for that kind of work was frowned upon although other departments did but, they were located in the building next door. It’s like the building where the museum was didn’t know what was going on next door and vice versa - 2 different worlds and sets of rules.

Advice to Management

Promote from within but make sure the promotions are earned and meaningful. Look at the job functions (not just titles) at other museums to see who gets overtime. Hire more support staff. Allow staff to work at home. Make sure executives work a 40+ hour week just like they expect their staff to. Offer a larger discount at the café and gift shop. Offer part time staff affordable and meaningful benefits.

No Opportunities for Professional Development

I worked at Rubin Museum Of Art full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to commute to compared to UES museums.

Cons

There's little room for professional development if you are hired in as junior staff. Managers are never created from within, they are always 9 times out of 10 hired in from outside organizations. Staff turnover at the Assistant Manager and Coordinator level is very high, and it's exceptionally frustrating to see positions open up over you, only to be filled by new hires with equal experience to yours, right down to the year you graduated college. Titles are confusing, and cause even more confusion when hiring in outside senior staff. Actual responsibility exceeds junior staff titles to an extreme degree, and there is an inexplicable disconnect between what department directors think their staff does and should be doing, vs. what they actually do.

Advice to Management

Ensure that Director level staff are not constantly out of the office or in meetings, so that they can stay aware of what the day to day department priorities are. Promote from within. Hire more entry level staff and less senior level staff.

Confusing, Dysfunctional, Arbitrary, Burnout Central

I worked at Rubin Museum Of Art full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a very cultured environment and the access to events and free admission to other Museums is a huge plus. Youngish staff.

Cons

The offices are so understaffed that there is no time to manage any administrative tasks, managers often restrict access to use of volunteers and interns, and reward colleagues in an arbitrary manner. Promotions and bonuses go to the favorite employee and that's about it. Departments are very small, and there is no real room for advancement. There is no compensation for eligible overtime. It is easy to be reprimanded for a poor attitude but it is very difficult to maintain a friendly work demeanor in the face of such a demanding workload.
     Coworkers can be really snobby, and tend to be well traveled and very well educated, but not necessarily unsheltered; so you work around a lot of young clueless privileged people who talk like they run the museum practically by themselves but really spend most of the day fussing around on their phones before peacing out at 4:59 to take a long weekend somewhere nice. My boss had very little insight in to my day to day tasks, and would give contradictory advice about projects. There is nobody to manage projects or workflow so often assignments would come from outside my department, and coworkers have no qualms about asking someone to take on an unrealistic task without looping in their supervisor. Job titles are utterly inconsistent with a person's actual duties. I was repeatedly left out of the loop on projects and department related initiatives only to be embarrassed publicly for my lack of knowledge in to x y z thing.

Advice to Management

Promote people, be more flexible with titles, hire more clerks, project managers, and department coordinators, compensate for overtime, allow more staff to work from home, and reward exceptional work more quickly.

I interned at RMA over the summer as a Publishing/Digital Media intern.

Former Intern - Publishing & Digital Media Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Publishing & Digital Media Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Rubin Museum Of Art as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Museum pass! -- get into lots of museums for free nationwide!
    Quiet atmosphere
    Friendly coworkers
    Cute kitchen

Cons

Easy work -- not much learning
    No compensation
    Too quiet

Advice to Management

Get some structure into your internship program(s). Even though it is unpaid, I want to do more than push pixels and PhotoShop images. Make it a learning experience.

10. Awesome

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Rubin Museum Of Art as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful staff and really positive work environment. Great inter-departmental communication.

Cons

Everything about this museum was great. I can't really think of any cons other than lack of opportunities for promotions.

11. Good benefits for an unpaid internship

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Rubin Museum Of Art

Pros

Great museum, friendly employees. Good discounts, fun events. Lots of variety of departments to work in.

Cons

It is unfortunate that the internships are unpaid, but the discounts and benefits are good.