Rubio's Restaurants

3.7

Rubio's Restaurants Marc Simon
Marc Simon

Positive work environment

Pros

Employees are treated right. Good work life balance, alternative work schedules.
    Leadership keeps employees informed. Promotes personal growth, scholarship money available to employees and their family members.

Cons

Heavy on paper use instead of automating restaurants to corporate communications. High restaurant employee turnover. Low hourly pay.

Company has many long term employees who are resistant to change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Leadership is competent to good; however resistant to change. options are available to learn more about the restaurant business.

Cons

culture generally requires many hours of OT due to low staffing levels. "Old timers" can make or break decisions -- sometimes several times.

Show more respect for hourly employees and follow labor laws to enforce OT and breaks. Salary increases for restaurant employees are required.

Great people, great food, great future!

Pros

The people I had the opportunity to work with were diverse and inspiring. Most of the Team Members truly care about the guest, the quality of the product they are putting out and their fellow Team Members. I had the opportunity to learn and was promoted - which offered new challenges and successes. When I had personal situations arise, they were extraordinary with their concern and a truly remarkable work/life balance.

Cons

There are ups and downs - as with most companies...nothing really stands out as noteworthy here.

Keep up the good work! The cost of the insurance benefits was high, but it was a tradeoff I was willing to accept.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

interim General Manager

Current Employee - Interim General Manager  in  El Cajon, CA
    Current Employee - Interim General Manager in El Cajon, CA

Pros

great pay and work environment ..

Cons

10 hours a day can seem a little long at times having little ones...

be more in your stores and acknowledge veterans...

Long tenure means nothing

Pros

Love my crew and fun job. Individual location great, company in a whole is lacking.

Cons

Upper management, turn over.

Self driven advancements, selfish upper management.

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

Pros

I was able to make my way from a GSA to a Line 1 cook fully certified within about 4-5 months, then began my shift leader development to finish as a shift leader by the 6th month. The pay is okay at $10 an hour.

Cons

Upper management appeared to have a great lack of concern for their store, as well as the advancement of their team members. There was also a great lack of motivation in the workplace which was due to the lack of concern as well. There was basically no such thing as a "good job" or even a "hey this isn't going soo well, here's how you can improve" for that matter.

Show a greater role in your leadership priorities and don't appear to hate your job. Also, consider showing a greater concern for your team members personal development.

*I'm sure everything stated above is not relevant to every store as I have worked at multiple, this mainly only pertains to my current.

Supervisor

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in San Clemente, CA

Pros

Good management, friendly environment, awesome food. free meal on break for supervisor and above (best part). Only worked there a few months and Mr. Rubio himself walked in our store twice. Good training.

Cons

I couldn't get the hours I wanted and the pay could be better.

Routine corporate job with such potential if management accepted it more freely.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

There's a lot of opportunity to work inter departmentally to improve processes and efficiencies.

Cons

New ideas that involve any department but your own aren't always received with open minds, stilfling possible improvements.

Management believed they had an open door policy, that they were open to all suggestions and ideas and available to everyone, but the cogs of the company never really felt that.

It was good at first.

Current Employee - GSA  in  Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - GSA in Mission Viejo, CA

Pros

A lot of the people are friendly and easy to work with. Mostly everyone is trained very well, and excels in their position. People in the leadership positions are present.

Cons

The mood is often "gloom and doom." No one seems content. I worked five to six days per week for about a five month period, when I had asked to work a maximum of four days per week. This made it difficult to devote time to my studies and my family. I was hired as a cashier, and have been put to doing work in the back (dishes, sweeping, taking out trash, cooking, etc.) frequently. We are not allowed to accept tips. Poor communication between management and lower level staff. Misunderstandings occur frequently. Weekly schedule is often changed mid-week, and some employees are not exposed to these changes until the day of their shift. Have had three different general managers in the last four months.

Let us accept tips! Even the mentality of making more money through tips is a good one. Better communication between management and hourly employees is also key. Schedule changes should be kept to a minimum as they lead to many complications.

It's a restaurant

Current Employee - GSA  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - GSA in Denver, CO

Pros

Good food, "okay" food discount (50% off), hours aren't terrible generally.

Cons

It's a corporate chain restaurant. You know how those can be...

Worked for Rubio's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!