Rubio's Restaurants

Rubio's Restaurants Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Rubio's Restaurants Marc Simon

Marc Simon

Great people, great food, great future!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I had the opportunity to work with were diverse and inspiring. Most of the Team Members truly care about the guest, the quality of the product they are putting out and their fellow Team Members. I had the opportunity to learn and was promoted - which offered new challenges and successes. When I had personal situations arise, they were extraordinary with their concern and a truly remarkable work/life balance.

ConsThere are ups and downs - as with most companies...nothing really stands out as noteworthy here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! The cost of the insurance benefits was high, but it was a tradeoff I was willing to accept.

interim General Manager

Interim General Manager (Current Employee) El Cajon, CA

Prosgreat pay and work environment ..

Cons10 hours a day can seem a little long at times having little ones...

Advice to Senior Managementbe more in your stores and acknowledge veterans...

Long tenure means nothing

ProsLove my crew and fun job. Individual location great, company in a whole is lacking.

ConsUpper management, turn over.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Self driven advancements, selfish upper management.

Shift Leader (Current Employee)

ProsI was able to make my way from a GSA to a Line 1 cook fully certified within about 4-5 months, then began my shift leader development to finish as a shift leader by the 6th month. The pay is okay at $10 an hour.

ConsUpper management appeared to have a great lack of concern for their store, as well as the advancement of their team members. There was also a great lack of motivation in the workplace which was due to the lack of concern as well. There was basically no such thing as a "good job" or even a "hey this isn't going soo well, here's how you can improve" for that matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow a greater role in your leadership priorities and don't appear to hate your job. Also, consider showing a greater concern for your team members personal development.

*I'm sure everything stated above is not relevant to every store as I have worked at multiple, this mainly only pertains to my current.

Routine corporate job with such potential if management accepted it more freely.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsThere's a lot of opportunity to work inter departmentally to improve processes and efficiencies.

ConsNew ideas that involve any department but your own aren't always received with open minds, stilfling possible improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement believed they had an open door policy, that they were open to all suggestions and ideas and available to everyone, but the cogs of the company never really felt that.

It was good at first.

GSA (Current Employee) Mission Viejo, CA

ProsA lot of the people are friendly and easy to work with. Mostly everyone is trained very well, and excels in their position. People in the leadership positions are present.

ConsThe mood is often "gloom and doom." No one seems content. I worked five to six days per week for about a five month period, when I had asked to work a maximum of four days per week. This made it difficult to devote time to my studies and my family. I was hired as a cashier, and have been put to doing work in the back (dishes, sweeping, taking out trash, cooking, etc.) frequently. We are not allowed to accept tips. Poor communication between management and lower level staff. Misunderstandings occur frequently. Weekly schedule is often changed mid-week, and some employees are not exposed to these changes until the day of their shift. Have had three different general managers in the last four months.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet us accept tips! Even the mentality of making more money through tips is a good one. Better communication between management and hourly employees is also key. Schedule changes should be kept to a minimum as they lead to many complications.

Supervisor

Supervisor (Former Employee) San Clemente, CA

ProsGood management, friendly environment, awesome food. free meal on break for supervisor and above (best part). Only worked there a few months and Mr. Rubio himself walked in our store twice. Good training.

ConsI couldn't get the hours I wanted and the pay could be better.

It's a restaurant

GSA (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood food, "okay" food discount (50% off), hours aren't terrible generally.

ConsIt's a corporate chain restaurant. You know how those can be...

Don't stay too long

ProsThe management was easy to work for

Consworked hard but didn't get paid very well

Unacknowledged efforts, but pays

Shift Leader (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt pays and is pretty simple. POS is easy to work with and basic duties to fulfill.

ConsHard to be motivated to do anything above the bare minimum due to lack of acknowledgement and attention from upper management or corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge a job well done and motivate to go above and beyond.

Worked for Rubio's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!