Ruby Tuesday

www.rubytuesday.com

Ruby Tuesday Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
Ruby Tuesday – Newport – “Ruby Tuesday”

James J. "J.J." Buettgen

Pros
  • Good food to eat 50% off during breaks(in 22 reviews)

• flexible schedule, great coworkers, good tips during night shifts(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management create a tense environment when they are there(in 30 reviews)

• long hours and weekends, no room for growth(in 10 reviews)

From the number two store in the company

Server (Former Employee) Albany, NY

ProsGuests, coworkers, relatively simple and reasonable expectations. It is an easy way to make money. I have worked at several locations. the culture with coworkers seems to be cordial in every location. Almost every store I have found that employees care about each others best interests.

ConsIn the number of locations I have worked at - the most recent being a store that was number two although I doubt that will last very long - they have fired general managers right and left. I don't know of a single location in all the years and stores I have worked in where the manager lasted much longer than a year. There are times where there were reasons to fire the manager but most recently I worked for a manager who was as good as restaurant managers come and every employee in that restaurant who worked unde.r him would agree. This was someone who took the store from number 200 something to number 2 based on his own hard work and that was a manager that every employee would have and did go the extra mile for. He would do the same for us - if it was busy he was never too proud to jump in and help and he treated the employees with respect. He was fired from what I understand for a policy technicality - while I feel that policies are important - its unreality to think that one can run a busy crazy restaurant and never slip on anything and I feel that if the manager of a number two or number 5 store cannot feel secure in their job there is frankly little motivation for internal promotion. This was not a dishonest manager and to my knowledge did not truly need to be dismissed. The fact that he was terminated was apalling and honestly an embarassment as he created the culture in that store and most of the employees are quitting - not because he was a buddy but because he was replaced with a man who has offended and disrespected nearly everyone on payroll. The difference here that is obvious to those of us not wearing a suit is that the first manager worked his way up and had done our jobs and therefore knew we deserved to be treated like human beings - this new manager was handed a job after maybe - I would guess - cooking in a kitchen for a limited amount of time. I heard him say at one point that they needed to hire more people ( which they did) so that all he had to do was be out on the floor shaking hands and kissing babies... meanwhile treating those of us doing most things in the restaurant like slave labor and with as little respect. Due to the lack of respect morale has taken a serious dive and staff is quitting - those staying are doing as little as is humanly necessary because they are being treated so badly. This is not unusual - I think there is a personality profile or some automatic tool they use when hiring because the management they have recently hired have all been horrible outside hires and inexperienced at doing anything other than dictating orders, they have all totally mistreated staff and when staff is miserable - it effects the restaurant - it effects the bottom line. Rubys had an identity years ago - they had a great menu - a standard uniform and a regular restaurant culture. They also had a long term staff who was like a family and they had this because there was a program for every employee to go through to advance and for that reason all employees truly cared about the restaurant - it was ours - the longer you had been there the more say you had and the more was expected of you. I used to train for them. Thats no longer even an option. They only hire from outside for management and they must not care much about their stores as they are letting people run them that they seem to plan to fire. When they went public to be frank everything went to hell. The Menu went through horrible phases trying to be low carb - they tinkered with trying to enforce short check times (kicking customers out supposedly for their convenience) apalling amounts of uniform changes (black no white no red no white - no black shirts with jeans no black no jeans no black pants now colored shirts) which servers are supposed to locate themselves with their money but typically have to waste money to find the type that meets the expectation of whatever the company has dreamed up. There is nothing really in this for us but to come in - do as little as possible for managers that do next to nothing for us - and make a little bit of money. I am a better employee than that. I like to go the extra mile and be a part of a team that cares and is motivated. They now review employees - but for nothing - I don't believe they offer raises... what purpose is this serving but being critical of the people who are already being treated like dirt? The benefits are a joke - there is next to no way to get them in the first place and to keep them is insane - I tried to sign up when I started this last time and got a message saying they would call me back which they did not do until after my 30 day period to join was over - years ago we filled out a health insurance form during orientation - it was day ONE - you got it that day and it was taken out of your check. Now from what I understand they cannot do that - nor can you mail a payment - you need to call them to make it every other week - but they never answer but if you don't get them they kick you off of your insurance. Years ago we never had or needed to offer coupons. Ever. People came in and ate. Then they started by occasionally putting one in a Val Pak. Now they have told me when they stop it ruins business. Let me tell you that I do not begrudge guests for using coupons - they have every right to do so - but that is taking $5 to $7 off an average check - and about $1-$2 out of every tip for every table for the server. And they want to lower food prices while continuing to offer these as well as hire more servers and give servers fewer tables. This way the servers can do the jobs the bussers used to do rather than taking money out of their tips to pay bussers which BTW Ruby's used to pay. I used to make $8.50 an hour - from Rubys to host and $5.50 plus whatever the servers voluntarily wanted to tip me ( way more than Rubys takes out of servers tips typically) to bus. Now none of these positions make money and yet they are funded out of the servers tips although they basically now are making those jobs the servers jobs, limiting their tables, lowering prices and couponing every residential area. Basically there will not be much money to make there much longer. Because CEOs and suits who have never worked in restaurants think this is the best thing to do for their bottom line as opposed to hiring people who will motivate their staff, rather than retaining anyone to run their stores, rather than paying their own staff positions. I realize the economy has gotten rough but the too many changes/overreach at the expense of the servers and staff as a whole is getting really bad. Management should come from within or have experience doing the lower level jobs. They should be interviewed and hired for being a quality human being - not hired because they fit a computer profile. Passed a hiring survey.

Advice to Senior ManagementASK your STAFF - your lower level staff about their experience and the treatment they receive in your stores. Ask them for ideas because they have them. Give them a reason to be there - a way to move up - something to look forward to and better management. Firing the manager at my most recent store was a truly poor poor poor decision which is felt and agreed upon by ever single employee in that store.

Not Wonderful Pay, Not Great Management

Server (Former Employee) Latham, NY

ProsRelatively nice customer pool overall. I liked the other employees.

ConsThe salary sucked. I had to tip out so many people my tips were almost gone before I had them--and I was tipped well by guests.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit restaurants more often, lower level management tends to slack.

Great place to work

Shift Leader/Bartender (Former Employee) Phillipsburg, NJ

ProsFamily environment that enables you to learn all aspects of a restaurant career.

ConsThey are constantly changing values and directions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a way and stick with it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience for First Job!

Hostess (Current Employee)

ProsI've worked at three different Ruby Tuesdays in the southeast part-time, and all have been good experiences! Of course as with any similar job, your individual experience depends on the managers you end up with and the co-workers you end up with. Luckily I have enjoyed both at all locations! As a host I make roughly $10 an hour which seems reasonable to me for the work I do ($5.50 + tip out). Always paid on time - never had any issues with getting my direct deposit. Great customer service experience and learning to work as a team with all sorts of people that could easily transfer to future jobs!!!

ConsEvery now and then you get a not so great manager or (of course) rude customers. But that's part of the job! Ruby Tuesday as a whole has never done me wrong!

Never boring, way better than a desk job.

ProsGood pay, easy restaurant to work for

ConsStress and long hours. Policies change often too

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Some info

Server (Current Employee) Wayne, NJ

ProsFlexible hours. Management is willing to work with you on many things. Great place to meet people and practice your communication skills. Fast paced enviornment.

ConsIt is tip based, but it is based on how you treat your customers, as it should be. Can be a little draining walking back and forth. Customers try to get free food all the time and will sometimes give you trouble.

I was a general manager

General Manager (Former Employee) Florence, SC

ProsGood place to work. Great benefits. Decent salary. The staff was fantastic and wanted to do the right thing.

ConsUpper management sends conflicting messages at times. You can't have your cake and eat it also. The problem seemed to be with the Area director.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistent guidance is the key. At times the area managers seem to differ with corporate. The teachings at corporate were frowned upon by area directors.

Decent

Internal Auditor (Current Employee) Maryville, TN

ProsGood exposure to a global business, friendly people, good work environment. Drastically changing company currently.

ConsSignificant changes occur constantly and the company is in poor health. Not much fluctuation for advancement with the current situation.

stay away

Buss/Runner, Host (Former Employee)

ProsCo workers
    The people were the best part even that could be difficult. It's a very difficult job, but the people made it possible to reach the end of the day with some sort of sanity.

ConsCustomers
    Open late and will server up to the last minute.
    Paid on tips. Can be good, but at this place, probably not
    Driven by corporate, who haven't worked in a restaurant

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in a restaurant and see what it's like. Care more for your employees.

Ruby Tuesday Review

Prep Cook/Utility (Former Employee)

ProsVery lively place to work, always something to do. Good for people that can't stand being bored. Very diverse company. Always meeting a new kind of person while working here.

ConsMediocre medical coverage unless you were a part of management. Wasn't really a training course for you to take before you start. Pretty much like throwing you to the wolves and see how you do kinda thing. Wages for kitchen staff were a bit low considering the stress given on the job. Menu changing all the time and very little warning or training when it happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some better medical coverage to your non-management personnel. Higher kitchen staff wages would also be nice.

Worked for Ruby Tuesday? Contribute to the Community!