Ruby Tuesday
www.rubytuesday.com Maryville, TN 5000+ Employees

Ruby Tuesday Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Ruby Tuesday – Newport – “Ruby Tuesday”

James J. "J.J." Buettgen

Pros:
  • "Good food to eat 50% off during breaks"
    in 21 reviews
  • "flexible schedule, great coworkers, good tips during night shifts"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "upper management lacks knowledge of the customer to business"
    in 26 reviews
  • "LONG Hours, employees with limited skillsets"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Solid first restaurant experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally friendly staff that is much more laid back than many in the restaurant industry. Good hours and flexibility to work at different locations.

ConsInconsistent scheduling/hours and constant coupon promotions can really cut into tips. Coupons got out of hand at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down on the coupons and vary the menu more frequently. A fresh menu that is always fresh will attract more customers than constant promotions that cut into employee tips.

ruby tuesday

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood service good food and coworkers

Consbad service bad reviews bad coworkers

It's a wonder this company hasn't gone under yet.

Hostess (Current Employee)

ProsSince the employee turnover is high, it's pretty easy to get a job here with no experience. Meaning stay here a few months and you can easily advance to other positions or you can use that experience to get another, all around better job in a different restaurant. They're also pretty flexible with the schedules.

ConsIf you're a good worker, management and other employees try to take advantage of that by either scheduling more hours than you can handle or just not doing their job, leaving management asking (scratch that, forcing) you to do it, even though that other person is on the clock and not doing anything and getting paid more.

Managers seem to care more about catering to abusive customers than treating their employees well. We don't even get to eat for free, only 50% off the crappy food they serve. And also b/c the food and service sucks, we're always REALLY slow, which means servers aren't making money and neither are hosts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the customer is always right rule and focus more on treating your employees well. Also stop hiring nasty people, who keep the restaurant in a nasty condition. Nobody wants to eat in a restaurant with dirty plates, sticky floors, and busted seats.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company going downhill

Server (Former Employee)
    O'Fallon, MO

ProsI thoroughly enjoyed working for RT. I liked my co-workers and my boss. And when I had issues on the job it was handled properly and effectively.

ConsJust wasnt busy enough to make decent money as a server - which is a shame because their food is delicious. I know they were trying to re brand within the past year, but it still hasnt caught on enough to save them.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that I know how to fix. Sounds like the error is in marketing, maybe site selection but as a waitress things were great.

Good Starter Job

Server (Current Employee)
    Clermont, FL

ProsI was able to work on my communication skills with both guests and colleagues. I was also able to enhance critical thinking and problem solving skills along with conflict resolution skills. The fast pace environment helped with time management and prioritizing skills.

ConsManagerial staff is not concerned with staff feedback on ways to improve working conditions and do not give enough face time to guests. There is little opportunity for advancement from within the company, and it is widely advertised that corporate encourages outside references for hiring needs..even offering up to $500 for a satisfactory reference.

Advice to Senior ManagementFace time with guests is more important when it comes to checking on overall satisfaction, not exclusively when a problem arises. Your staff will work hardest when they are held accountable for their actions and feel that they have the ability to make quality decisions about the restaurant and guest experiences instead of feeling like they HAVE to have a managers approval.

they ok

Prosthey're good with customer service

Consdisorgainzed sometimes and some customers are overy particular

Still Looking For It's Identity

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training systems good food

ConsBad communication from executive management, incompetent Area Directors.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of managers

Manager

ProsFlexible work hours and face pace job

Conslong hours and weekends, no room for growth

Interesting....Good for gaining experience

Server, Host (Current Employee)
    Clinton, MD

ProsThe training is okay, its not hard. Some people pick it up quick, others don't. They are very flexible with schedule (great if you're in high school or college) . Get 50% discount on food. The team members are all cool and friendly. You really improve your service skills and get a good idea of the resturaunt business working here,

ConsIt can be very fast paced when busy. The pay is very inconsistent (you can make $100 one night & $30 the next). Management can improve (they do not consider their employees' strengths & weaknesses, ie. they put people who cannot handle more than a party of 10 on parties), they try their best but the overall customer service is not always good. Sometimes the kitchen cooks mess up very easily and as a server you deal with the wrath of the customers directly not them.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould probably redesign the dining area some, and also take more consideration to your employees and their strengths and weaknesses.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

interesting

Hostess/Waitress/Trainer (Former Employee)

ProsI was able to obtain health insurance as a part-time worker BEFORE Obama Care.

ConsInstead of hiring more good workers, they instead overwork the good ones they already have.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you treat your employees well, they don't mind going the extra mile for you.

Worked for Ruby Tuesday? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ruby Tuesday reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ruby Tuesday CEO James J. "J.J." Buettgen. All 360 reviews posted anonymously by Ruby Tuesday employees.