www.rubytuesday.com

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
3.1

James J. "J.J." Buettgen

Pros
  • flexible schedule, great coworkers, good tips during night shifts (in 24 reviews)

• Good food to eat 50% off during breaks (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management create a tense environment when they are there (in 31 reviews)

• long hours and weekends, no room for growth (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a life style

Former Employee - Gsc, Server, Cook, Bartender, Dish, Salad Bar, Host, Food Runner in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They believe in teamwork. Give you values that you can live by in your everyday life. It's a family there( in my case real family as well I have two blood relatives that work there all separate stores now), I spent eight years there and though the employees managers and districts grew as a person. Not many companies can offer that this one did. I worked at three locations in the Cleveland area and its consistent. There are guests that you value not just because they tip well but because you become a part of their family as well. They take a bit to pay well, but if you are willing to put in the work it's noticed by your entire team. If you want to learn they will teach you. I was a server, bartender, cook, assistant culinary coordinator before they took that job away, a GSM guest service coordinator or shift manager if you will, dishwasher, salad bar attendant, and a host. I could do inventory, reconcile numbers, count bar, do interviews. If you have drive they will teach you.

Cons

Every place in the food industry has its share of woes. There are times your short staffed, times your tables are driving you crazy with coupons, times you let it just get to you. They do change the menu, and make adjustments. I've never seen it effect the core values. They do what I like to call the manager shuffle every so often, and sometimes you lose a manager who was amazing, sometimes your happy to show one where the door lies. In all the years I was there the faces around me changed here and there but managers came and went. They keep a core crew plus some for long periods of time and many former employees come back. They promoted from within back when I started, but changed it a few years ago and hired outside the company for salary managers. Districts come and go to other states so constantly your being asked to re prove why your a valuable candidate. That was hard and frustrating. But for all the bad the good out weighed it.

I'm truly sorry that I had to leave to find a salary job. I always wanted to move up there with people I loved and respected. Before my daughter I was working on moving up, I spent a long time learning your ways of doing things. Hourly managers want to move up too, after two years I had to find a way to better support my family. You have lost three people that were an asset in any store they were in. One went to Darden, one to houly house, and one to covelli. But all three would have done a far better job than some outside hires I've had the privilege of working with. Every one of those three put in effort to become a gsc, worked well at it, went to every weds meeting on their time to become a better asset to the company and after so long and you don't go anywhere more what are they supposed to do? Honestly it was agonizing to leave, I truly loved the company, but I love my daughter as well and as a parent want to better provide for her. But thank you, it is truly a remarkable company founded on good values. Please listen when your employees talk because to you about their fears and concerns. Don't lose people that would only enhance your development. Thank you for everything you've done for me over the years, not even close to the person who walked in eight years ago and most of that change was through this company. I will truly miss it

Great, laid-back first serving job

Current Employee - Server in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Server in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the atmosphere, my coworkers, and my bosses. It was always fast-paced but casual. Lot's of time to joke around and build relationships.

Cons

Back of the house staff was always a little sketchy. Half were ex-felons and most would crack under pressure. I did shift leading for a while, but found out I made more money serving with less headache. The first GM was fired due to embezzlement.

Make LeAnna the GM if you want to really excell

Ruby Tuesday is a dying company

Current Employee - Waitress/Bartender in Cookeville, TN
    Current Employee - Waitress/Bartender in Cookeville, TN

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to move up in the company.

Cons

Management is terrible. Pay is on the low end.

Management needs to stop transferring to different restaurants. Corporate is constantly moving management around.

Very professional

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Snellville, GA

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly environment with caring employers and employees. We sang Christmas Carols in a conga line at Christmas.
    Had Easter egg hunts for the kids at Easter. We had skilled contests and sales contests. Management was usually cooperative with those needing time off.

Cons

Some times the management would get a little stressed out...the GM liked to work EVERY day which stressed him out. We did have a sit down with him and his boss and discussed how he was stretching himself too thin. In the end he got a little more laid back.

Don't let the job own you.
    You own your job.

A great place to begin in the service industry.

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Apple Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Apple Valley, MN

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On the job training, with the opportunity for rapid advancement. An excellent brand that draws in customers. Sales promotions and a diverse menu keeps things fresh. Great food and beverages at reasonable prices that practically sell themselves.

Cons

Table limits and poor section assignments can put a cap on daily earnings. Changes in personnel and management can occur frequently, which can be very disheartening and cause confusion.

I'd still be working there if it wasn't for the terrible brunch experiment. Also, NOW you allow facial hair...? Allow experienced servers to take more than 5 tables. Lower the prices on alcohol. Get rid of free flavored lemonade and iced tea refills, it kills your bartenders. Tip percentage should not have as great of a bearing on the GHI scores. Servers cannot control what tables they get. There should be another way to evaluate the quality of your servers. I wouldn't serve or tend bar ever again, but I'd consider coming back for a GM or corporate position.

Working at Ruby Tuesday was a great experience

Former Employee - Server in Bedford, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Bedford, VA

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a relaxed environment with a wide range of customers. Sometimes it got chaotic like any other restaurant but it was always fun because the food is always so good no one can stay mad!

Cons

The menu changes a lot!

Pay your general managers more. They work so hard , at least mine did ! Having your name on the front door is a big responsibility but also an honor when you run your store well. I think the deserve more credit

Positive easy going

Current Employee - Server in Old Bridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Server in Old Bridge, NJ

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They offer flexibility in scheduling and team player attitude work environment. Decent tips. Great experience as a working college student

Cons

A lot of young people work there so there comes drama and cliques like high school. As an employee you are disposable, easily replaced

Wish I was still with them...

Former Employee - General Manager in Cambridge, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Cambridge, OH

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid corporate leadership-good people, good vision. Flexible. Excellent quality of life. Superiors that genuinely care. If you do a good job, they usually take care of you. Easy to use systems. Keep things simple.

Cons

They have gone through a lot of conceptual changes over the years, often lacking focus. The new leadership has a clear vision though, and the changes seem to be for the good now.

Take care of long time employees. If they want to transfer after being with the company 13 years, make it happen!

Great place, great people

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Indiana, PA
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Indiana, PA

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good management

Cons

Drama, poor training, keep hiring people when we already fight for hours

Full time for over 3 years

Former Employee - Server in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Allows other people to pick up your shift, even last minute. Relaxed environment sometimes.

Cons

Managers show favoritism and unfair policies. Allow two people to get the closing lunch shift every day instead of rotating to worthy people that have been there for years. They let new people off every Sunday, but made me work open brunch every week despite me being there nearly four years and requesting it off for church. They would rather higher in new bartender than allow a long time employee to move up or cross train.

Rotate shifts and do not always make someone with religious beliefs work on Sunday. Allow growth because there is none.

Ruby Tuesday Photos