Ruby Tuesday

Updated September 27, 2014
Updated September 27, 2014
3.1

James J. "J.J." Buettgen

Pros
  • Good food to eat 50% off during breaks (in 23 reviews)

• flexible schedule, great coworkers, good tips during night shifts (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management create a tense environment when they are there (in 31 reviews)

• long hours and weekends, no room for growth (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place, great people

Current Employee - Server/Bartender  in  Indiana, PA
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Indiana, PA

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, good management

Cons

Drama, poor training, keep hiring people when we already fight for hours

Wish I was still with them...

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Cambridge, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Cambridge, OH

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Solid corporate leadership-good people, good vision. Flexible. Excellent quality of life. Superiors that genuinely care. If you do a good job, they usually take care of you. Easy to use systems. Keep things simple.

Cons

They have gone through a lot of conceptual changes over the years, often lacking focus. The new leadership has a clear vision though, and the changes seem to be for the good now.

Take care of long time employees. If they want to transfer after being with the company 13 years, make it happen!

Very friendly coworkers.

Former Employee - Busser  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Busser in Phila, PA

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time for more than a year

Pros

I met a lot of nice people.
    My hours were favorable.
    Got a discount on food.

Cons

I was a busser and I had no way of knowing if I was getting shorted in my tips.
    The guests at the location I worked were often unfavorable.
    A lot of the cooks they hire are shady people.

Make sure you hire friendly people.
    Keep the restaurant properly stocked, because it not only affects the servers, but also the guest.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for college students

Former Employee - Hostess/Waitress/Bartender  in  Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Hostess/Waitress/Bartender in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good with scheduling around other jobs and school. My General Manager wanted us to be taking college classes. I enjoyed the people I worked with and in the two years I worked there I went from a hostess with difficulty talking to guests to a bartender that loved starting conversations with the people I served.

Cons

Very strict about what you wear and the things you say.

Good, could be better.

Former Employee - Chef  in  Columbia, TN
    Former Employee - Chef in Columbia, TN

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good hours if you learn grill and close.

Cons

Don't pay too much unless you put in years of work first.

Follow through with promises

meh...

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time for less than a year

Pros

Of course, the tips. even though the people that come in there aren't always the nicest, that's with any job you're ever gonna have.

Cons

does not live up to its standard of "freshness." the one i worked at had a horrible problem with flies.

If you have an interview with someone, try not to wait too long to follow up on it. it looks bad, it makes a business seem unprofessional

chaotic

Current Employee - Server/Bartender
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time

Pros

fast cash, meet great people

Cons

too much change from corporate constantly, pointless changes

Difficult company to work for.

Former Employee - I Worked My Way Up From Server to Bartender to Manager  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - I Worked My Way Up From Server to Bartender to Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like their food. It is of a higher quality than some of the other restaurants they compete with (ie Applebee's, TGI Friday's, Chili's, etc.) and their salad bar is a nice option for people. I made decent money while I worked there. That is why I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Nothing stays the same. EVER. I worked in several locations in several states over 4 years and every RT I walked into was exactly the same. I believe this is because of the way the company runs its headquarters in Maryville, TN, which functions exactly like its restaurants do across the country. It's very difficult to enforce standards in an organization and have respect for management when the standards enforced today are different than they were yesterday and you know whatever is expected today will be discarded tomorrow. Also, the menu changes every 3 months like clockwork, so you will get sick of guests coming in to order their favorite dish, only to angrily walk out because it is no longer on the menu. One day you will get sent home because your uniform isn't formal enough; the next day they will let you wear jeans to work. No one ever has a sense of what the "Ruby Tuesday way of doing things" is. Their training is the worst I have ever seen: it consists of 100's of pages of computer reading, which very often freeze up and erase all your progress, so you have to start over. Unfortunately, training for managers is just as appalling as it is for all the other employees, so managers are pretty much glorified cooks and servers with no idea of how a restaurant should be run. One of the tougher problems RT faces is that they are trying to go from being an "Applebee's" type place to raising their food and service level to more of a Bonefish Grill atmosphere. Unfortunately, they mostly attract only the Applebee's crowd who often are angered by the Bonefish Grill prices. Picture handing a $20 steak to someone who just ordered it Extra Well Done and dumped A-1 Steak Sauce all over it. Ponderosa customers aren't happy with RT prices. Overall, just look at their stock price to see if you want to work for them: $6 currently... not great.

Go work for someone else if you desire to grow into a talented manager. I've seen more than one actually good manager get fired only to be replaced by someone I wouldn't trust with my kids or even my dog. Company values and culture trickle from the top down in any organization. I've never met the CEO, but I can tell you from experience, I fully believe he has a severe case of ADD. The running joke of the restaurant is that "Ruby Tuesday" is Latin for "CHANGE".

Manager

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good hours for Restaurant manager. Quality of life good.

Cons

Leadership changed recently and if you have worked there for loner than 7 years you get paid too much and they will find a way to replace you with lower salaried manager. In one year i have seen 6 managers let go that had been there loner than 7 years. Not a long-term job.

Take of the people that have taken care of the company's business.

Server

Current Employee - Server  in  Bessemer, AL
    Current Employee - Server in Bessemer, AL

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time for more than a year

Pros

Family like environment
    Opportunity for advancement

Cons

poor training and the pay is average
    The Managers are usually overly stressed due to unrealistic demands and changes from corporate.

Be more hands on with the training process.

Ruby Tuesday Photos

Ruby Tuesday

+ Add Photo

Worked for Ruby Tuesday? Contribute to the Community!