Ruby Tuesday

www.rubytuesday.com

Ruby Tuesday Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014
Ruby Tuesday – Newport – “Ruby Tuesday”

James J. "J.J." Buettgen

Pros
  • Good food to eat 50% off during breaks(in 22 reviews)

• flexible schedule, great coworkers, good tips during night shifts(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management create a tense environment when they are there(in 30 reviews)

• long hours and weekends, no room for growth(in 10 reviews)

Bartender

Bartender (Former Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsFlexible hours, good management, lots of advances to move up,

Consdecent money, open on every holiday except for one (Thanksgiving or Christmas). Making money goes by credit card tip percentage with sucks a lot of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe some more perks to doing well

Just not for me.

Host/Busser, To-go, Dishwasher, Salad-Bar Attendant (Former Employee) Saint Peters, MO

ProsThey are a very good corporation to work for, there is no question to that. Becoming promoted is a seemingly easy thing to do and their food times and costumer satisfaction is spot on in most cases. The management is able to work with you and try to help with problems affiliated with either the job or your personal life.

ConsUnfortunately they had to cut labor and a lot of people ended up quitting, unable to live with under 30, maybe even 20 hours per week while doing three peoples' jobs at once for a modest pay. The hours became irregular and unpredictable and since the management was having its own problems, the employees suffered.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice I could give to management would be to figure out some way to find a middle-ground with labor somehow(which didn't seem that easy for them) and be able to stabilize hours while giving everyone a schedule that is solid.

Fun at work!

Server (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsI worked with a great group of people and managers. That makes all the difference. I made some good friends and actually liked going to work.

ConsToo many servers scheduled for the business we did. Apparently, a corporate rule. Servers can't make money if they are only getting one table every 30 to 45 minutes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep bartenders behind the bar!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was what I expected

Waiter (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat coworkers, management was nice as well (varies from restaurant to restaurant though), environment was nice and clean as well

Consnothing big that I can really think of, it was a job as a waiter, pretty straightforward, i guess i could say 2.13 + tips wasnt enough many but it pretty much works out to more than minimum wage an hour if your restaurant is at least somewhat busy

Server Review

Server/Bartender (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment and training

ConsUpper Management out of touch with lower level staff and the challenges that they face daily.

Great Company to work for!

Guest Service Manager (Current Employee) Pensacola, FL

ProsFlexible schedule as an hourly team member
    Opportunities for advancement
    Great vacation program

ConsDifficult scheduling as salaried team member

Good Pay - Lots of Change - poor higher management

Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) DuBois, PA

ProsExcellent pay. Great scheduling technology.

ConsPoor upper management - no appraisal - quarterly check ins with zero follow up. Long shifts - new company directions changes with vague descriptions. Hard to move a company towards a direction that they, themselves, are not sure about.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule allows zero time for social life.

Unrewarding to say the least.

General Manager (Former Employee) Florence, SC

ProsThe benefits were decent. The staff were great. The pay was decent for the hours but definitely could have been better.

ConsLimited growth. actually rather stagnant growth. Due to the economy and RT keeps changing exactly what they want to be known for i.e. salad bar, burger centric, steaks, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together and solidify exactly what your brand is known for.

It was a fine after school job...

Hostess (Former Employee) Manchester, CT

ProsPretty good pay for my position - Hostesses made minimum wage in addition to getting tipped out by servers.
    Work with great people - Everyone was friendly and cool, like a family.
    Very easy as far as work duties go.

ConsAs mentioned before, the work was easy, but this sometimes resulted in boring days and the shifts feeling longer than they actually were.
    There were often many difficult customers to deal with and one of the rules (at least at my location) was to literally always give the customer what they wanted, regardless of how ridiculous the request was. Which, in some senses seems understandable, like, yeah.. the customer is always right, but No, you cannot have your dog in here. So, that was frustrating. Especially because I would get yelled by servers for allowing crazy customers to do absurd things when the managers would tell me I have to let them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunity for promotions would be great.
    Also, more distinct rules on limits for customers. The customer can't ALWAYS be right. I know this is a business and we are trying to keep the customer happy, but some things are absurd.

From the number two store in the company

Server (Former Employee) Albany, NY

ProsGuests, coworkers, relatively simple and reasonable expectations. It is an easy way to make money. I have worked at several locations. the culture with coworkers seems to be cordial in every location. Almost every store I have found that employees care about each others best interests.

ConsIn the number of locations I have worked at - the most recent being a store that was number two although I doubt that will last very long - they have fired general managers right and left. I don't know of a single location in all the years and stores I have worked in where the manager lasted much longer than a year. There are times where there were reasons to fire the manager but most recently I worked for a manager who was as good as restaurant managers come and every employee in that restaurant who worked unde.r him would agree. This was someone who took the store from number 200 something to number 2 based on his own hard work and that was a manager that every employee would have and did go the extra mile for. He would do the same for us - if it was busy he was never too proud to jump in and help and he treated the employees with respect. He was fired from what I understand for a policy technicality - while I feel that policies are important - its unreality to think that one can run a busy crazy restaurant and never slip on anything and I feel that if the manager of a number two or number 5 store cannot feel secure in their job there is frankly little motivation for internal promotion. This was not a dishonest manager and to my knowledge did not truly need to be dismissed. The fact that he was terminated was apalling and honestly an embarassment as he created the culture in that store and most of the employees are quitting - not because he was a buddy but because he was replaced with a man who has offended and disrespected nearly everyone on payroll. The difference here that is obvious to those of us not wearing a suit is that the first manager worked his way up and had done our jobs and therefore knew we deserved to be treated like human beings - this new manager was handed a job after maybe - I would guess - cooking in a kitchen for a limited amount of time. I heard him say at one point that they needed to hire more people ( which they did) so that all he had to do was be out on the floor shaking hands and kissing babies... meanwhile treating those of us doing most things in the restaurant like slave labor and with as little respect. Due to the lack of respect morale has taken a serious dive and staff is quitting - those staying are doing as little as is humanly necessary because they are being treated so badly. This is not unusual - I think there is a personality profile or some automatic tool they use when hiring because the management they have recently hired have all been horrible outside hires and inexperienced at doing anything other than dictating orders, they have all totally mistreated staff and when staff is miserable - it effects the restaurant - it effects the bottom line. Rubys had an identity years ago - they had a great menu - a standard uniform and a regular restaurant culture. They also had a long term staff who was like a family and they had this because there was a program for every employee to go through to advance and for that reason all employees truly cared about the restaurant - it was ours - the longer you had been there the more say you had and the more was expected of you. I used to train for them. Thats no longer even an option. They only hire from outside for management and they must not care much about their stores as they are letting people run them that they seem to plan to fire. When they went public to be frank everything went to hell. The Menu went through horrible phases trying to be low carb - they tinkered with trying to enforce short check times (kicking customers out supposedly for their convenience) apalling amounts of uniform changes (black no white no red no white - no black shirts with jeans no black no jeans no black pants now colored shirts) which servers are supposed to locate themselves with their money but typically have to waste money to find the type that meets the expectation of whatever the company has dreamed up. There is nothing really in this for us but to come in - do as little as possible for managers that do next to nothing for us - and make a little bit of money. I am a better employee than that. I like to go the extra mile and be a part of a team that cares and is motivated. They now review employees - but for nothing - I don't believe they offer raises... what purpose is this serving but being critical of the people who are already being treated like dirt? The benefits are a joke - there is next to no way to get them in the first place and to keep them is insane - I tried to sign up when I started this last time and got a message saying they would call me back which they did not do until after my 30 day period to join was over - years ago we filled out a health insurance form during orientation - it was day ONE - you got it that day and it was taken out of your check. Now from what I understand they cannot do that - nor can you mail a payment - you need to call them to make it every other week - but they never answer but if you don't get them they kick you off of your insurance. Years ago we never had or needed to offer coupons. Ever. People came in and ate. Then they started by occasionally putting one in a Val Pak. Now they have told me when they stop it ruins business. Let me tell you that I do not begrudge guests for using coupons - they have every right to do so - but that is taking $5 to $7 off an average check - and about $1-$2 out of every tip for every table for the server. And they want to lower food prices while continuing to offer these as well as hire more servers and give servers fewer tables. This way the servers can do the jobs the bussers used to do rather than taking money out of their tips to pay bussers which BTW Ruby's used to pay. I used to make $8.50 an hour - from Rubys to host and $5.50 plus whatever the servers voluntarily wanted to tip me ( way more than Rubys takes out of servers tips typically) to bus. Now none of these positions make money and yet they are funded out of the servers tips although they basically now are making those jobs the servers jobs, limiting their tables, lowering prices and couponing every residential area. Basically there will not be much money to make there much longer. Because CEOs and suits who have never worked in restaurants think this is the best thing to do for their bottom line as opposed to hiring people who will motivate their staff, rather than retaining anyone to run their stores, rather than paying their own staff positions. I realize the economy has gotten rough but the too many changes/overreach at the expense of the servers and staff as a whole is getting really bad. Management should come from within or have experience doing the lower level jobs. They should be interviewed and hired for being a quality human being - not hired because they fit a computer profile. Passed a hiring survey.

Advice to Senior ManagementASK your STAFF - your lower level staff about their experience and the treatment they receive in your stores. Ask them for ideas because they have them. Give them a reason to be there - a way to move up - something to look forward to and better management. Firing the manager at my most recent store was a truly poor poor poor decision which is felt and agreed upon by ever single employee in that store.

Worked for Ruby Tuesday? Contribute to the Community!