www.rubytuesday.com

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014
3.1

James J. "J.J." Buettgen

Pros
  • flexible schedule, great coworkers, good tips during night shifts (in 24 reviews)

• Good food to eat 50% off during breaks (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management create a tense environment when they are there (in 31 reviews)

• long hours and weekends, no room for growth (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great working environment

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Long Branch, NJ
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Long Branch, NJ

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clean, safe work environment. Very enjoyable to work there

Cons

Typical issues related to working in a restaurant, no serious issues.

Actually looked forward to going to work

Former Employee - Server/Bartender

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in. The staff and management were (almost) always upbeat and in a good mood. Money was pretty stable year round with the obvious boost at holiday time. (This location was in a shopping mall). Managers were fair and consistent. They were pretty flexible with scheduling.

Cons

I think they changed the menu too much. Why change a good thing?

Typical Chain restaurant experience

Former Employee - Server/Bartender

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, busy, fun atmosphere, also there were great menu items that were always being improved and implemented.

Cons

Super super busy, sometimes understaffed, having to constantly work doubles because because of people calling out, lots of work for sometimes no tip (typical in the biz) GM flirty and sexist.

Don't run your employees ragged!

Opportunity to learn business, leadership and development

I worked at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

Great advancement opportunities, fantastic support center and lodge

Cons

identity in the market place

Good part time job in college

Current Employee - Server in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Server in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Formed close friends throughout restaurant, easy work.

Cons

Very slow, sometimes 2 tables per night.

A Focus on Improvement

Former Employee - Server/Bartender

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff work hard to work together and keep the dining room and kitchen continuously working. The system of tipping out the bartender for drinks made and the host for seating methodically helped the FOH staff to communicate and judge work flow.
    Managers were well focused on food presentation and food pairing. Alcohol pairing classes were well designed and executed.

Cons

Guests would be "suckered in" by the marketing campaigns and then complain.
    Example: Banner on the side of the building reads, "dinner starting at 9.99!"
    The upper management, in ways, restricts the system privileges of the employees. Many times a manager's attention would be unnecessary in the dealing of a problem, but they would have to be torn away from what they were dealing with to address them.

Let the hosts place a wait on the door!

It's a life style

Former Employee - Gsc, Server, Cook, Bartender, Dish, Salad Bar, Host, Food Runner in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They believe in teamwork. Give you values that you can live by in your everyday life. It's a family there( in my case real family as well I have two blood relatives that work there all separate stores now), I spent eight years there and though the employees managers and districts grew as a person. Not many companies can offer that this one did. I worked at three locations in the Cleveland area and its consistent. There are guests that you value not just because they tip well but because you become a part of their family as well. They take a bit to pay well, but if you are willing to put in the work it's noticed by your entire team. If you want to learn they will teach you. I was a server, bartender, cook, assistant culinary coordinator before they took that job away, a GSM guest service coordinator or shift manager if you will, dishwasher, salad bar attendant, and a host. I could do inventory, reconcile numbers, count bar, do interviews. If you have drive they will teach you.

Cons

Every place in the food industry has its share of woes. There are times your short staffed, times your tables are driving you crazy with coupons, times you let it just get to you. They do change the menu, and make adjustments. I've never seen it effect the core values. They do what I like to call the manager shuffle every so often, and sometimes you lose a manager who was amazing, sometimes your happy to show one where the door lies. In all the years I was there the faces around me changed here and there but managers came and went. They keep a core crew plus some for long periods of time and many former employees come back. They promoted from within back when I started, but changed it a few years ago and hired outside the company for salary managers. Districts come and go to other states so constantly your being asked to re prove why your a valuable candidate. That was hard and frustrating. But for all the bad the good out weighed it.

I'm truly sorry that I had to leave to find a salary job. I always wanted to move up there with people I loved and respected. Before my daughter I was working on moving up, I spent a long time learning your ways of doing things. Hourly managers want to move up too, after two years I had to find a way to better support my family. You have lost three people that were an asset in any store they were in. One went to Darden, one to houly house, and one to covelli. But all three would have done a far better job than some outside hires I've had the privilege of working with. Every one of those three put in effort to become a gsc, worked well at it, went to every weds meeting on their time to become a better asset to the company and after so long and you don't go anywhere more what are they supposed to do? Honestly it was agonizing to leave, I truly loved the company, but I love my daughter as well and as a parent want to better provide for her. But thank you, it is truly a remarkable company founded on good values. Please listen when your employees talk because to you about their fears and concerns. Don't lose people that would only enhance your development. Thank you for everything you've done for me over the years, not even close to the person who walked in eight years ago and most of that change was through this company. I will truly miss it

Great, laid-back first serving job

Current Employee - Server in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Server in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the atmosphere, my coworkers, and my bosses. It was always fast-paced but casual. Lot's of time to joke around and build relationships.

Cons

Back of the house staff was always a little sketchy. Half were ex-felons and most would crack under pressure. I did shift leading for a while, but found out I made more money serving with less headache. The first GM was fired due to embezzlement.

Make LeAnna the GM if you want to really excell

Ruby Tuesday is a dying company

Current Employee - Waitress/Bartender in Cookeville, TN
    Current Employee - Waitress/Bartender in Cookeville, TN

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to move up in the company.

Cons

Management is terrible. Pay is on the low end.

Management needs to stop transferring to different restaurants. Corporate is constantly moving management around.

Very professional

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Snellville, GA

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly environment with caring employers and employees. We sang Christmas Carols in a conga line at Christmas.
    Had Easter egg hunts for the kids at Easter. We had skilled contests and sales contests. Management was usually cooperative with those needing time off.

Cons

Some times the management would get a little stressed out...the GM liked to work EVERY day which stressed him out. We did have a sit down with him and his boss and discussed how he was stretching himself too thin. In the end he got a little more laid back.

Don't let the job own you.
    You own your job.