Ruby Tuesday Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

3.1

James J. "J.J." Buettgen

Pros
  • Good food to eat 50% off during breaks (in 22 reviews)

• flexible schedule, great coworkers, good tips during night shifts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management create a tense environment when they are there (in 30 reviews)

• long hours and weekends, no room for growth (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

All was well till new regional manager

Former Employee - Guest Service Coordinator  in  Sumter, SC
    Former Employee - Guest Service Coordinator in Sumter, SC

I worked at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

Fun Coworkers, good burgers, decent bar selection

Cons

Terrible Upper Management, Constant focus/ menu changes

Find a winning formula and stick to it. Coupons are not the answer

ok place to start your restuarant career

Current Employee - Server  in  Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Server in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

Very easy work. You are only allowed 4-5 tables so it isn't very complicated. Cash money is always good, but sometimes it's very hard to make money.

Cons

Very slow, no room to grow. Very often don't hire within. Usually hire new manamgement and throw other current managers alll around the metro area.

Decent for a college student or a temporary position, but overall not recommendable

Former Employee - Server  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Server in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

Availability of large corporate resources for a restaurant
    Dependable for consistency of practices
    Opportunities are available if you express a sincere interest in moving up within the company, they often like to promote from within

Cons

The highly structured environment may feel stifling from a serving perspective, particularly if you would rather utilize an outgoing personality
    At times, management, particularly at the store level, will not communicate as effectively as is possible

Utilize a consistent objectivity related to management at all times
    Truly listen to and appreciate all employees
    Understand that you are working with a highly divers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  East Point, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Point, GA

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

Management are able to move into power positons rather quickly

Cons

servers have an extremely high tip out.
    bartenders are not compensated well enough

decrease the tip out and pay YOUR employees instead of relying on servers to do so

My experience at Ruby Tuesday is average.

Current Employee - Server  in  Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Server in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Fun work environment.

Cons

Too many customers carry coupons and therefore don't tip the correct 18-20%. Not a very promising crowd that dines in.

Communicate more to everyone. Do the inventory correctly so you don't run out of anything.

If you're smart....RUN!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

Flexible scheduling, meet new friends

Cons

Constant changing menu
    Very poor pay
    No raises..EVER
    Does not care about employees

Be honest. Don't say Ruby Tuesday is "going green" and then send all your ever changing PAPER menus every 2 weeks. Quit making your servers pay your hourly employees for doing their job. And finally in the words of Gordon Ramsey, don't try to be something you're not. I made a lot of money when Ruby Tuesday was just a burger and beer place. It used to be fun. Now i progressively make less and less money each year I'm there since they tried their idea of fine dining. Be true to yourself and quit stealing other company's ideas. What's wrong with just being Ruby Tuesday? Go back to your roots and make it the way it used to be and start watching your dollars grow and maybe even start seeing smiles on your employees faces again. God knows that hasn't happened in a long time. But if you were paying attention, you would've noticed that along time ago.

worst tips I have ever made. Manager was not upfront about $$

Current Employee - Server  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Server in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

Work is easy. Fun place to work.

Cons

*Assistant managers and shift leaders do not take job seriously.
    *There are employees stealing from the company by charging guests and not ringing them in and management is doing nothing about it.
    *LAZY co-workers and nothing is dont about it
    * I was upfront about the money I needed to make and the GM told me I could easily do that, I have not made half that.. most of the time I am lucky if I bring home minimum wage
    *Doubles are split shift.. really what are you going to do with a 2 hour break.. nothign! the good thing about working doubles in other restaurants are the straggler tables you get between

Get controll of your team! Especially your management team and the rest will follow suit! Get rid of the slackers! Dont have so many servers on the floor. there is no way a small restaurant needs 12 servers for lunch! Servers can handle more than 4 tables!!!

Not The Employer of Choice

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - General Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

Salary is competitive, 40 years of experience in developing brand. Hundreds of units to move to and from. great food

Cons

poor training from leadership. Muddled message from above. Constantly revising and changing corporate foci to the point of confusing guests and staff.

Overall, fun and great to work at

Current Employee - Waitress  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Waitress in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

The people are great to work with, everyone is always helpful. Management is amazing and always understanding. Easy to get days off when needed or getting shifts covered is easier here than at most places.

Cons

Money isn't always stable, but that's what happens when the income is mainly from tips. Hours range from 2 hours to sometimes 6 per shift; the unpredicticality is the issue mainly

Remain consistent in what you expect from your employees. One day it's one thing, then the next day we're to do something completely different. Knowing what items we don't have in stock that day would be great.

Most demoralizing job i have ever held in my life!

Former Employee - Operating Partner  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Operating Partner in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

Job security due to RT inability to hire high level and keep high level talent.

Cons

Senior leadership micromanaged everything even at the TM level. Over time employees lose ability or confidence to think on their own. Most of senior leadership has no clue how to operate restuarants successfully. They also have been taught to follow orders without question. Senior leadership NEVER accepts responsibility for their poor decisions. They blame the results on the operators not on the poor plan. SL has a trend of making eveyone feel like a failure.

Treat your people with respect. Stop belittling your people into performance. LEAD your people instead of beating them into submission.

Worked for Ruby Tuesday? Contribute to the Community!