www.rubytuesday.com

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
3.1

James J. "J.J." Buettgen

Pros
  • Working at a restaurant gives you a more flexible schedule and Ruby Tuesdays isn't the worse (in 25 reviews)

• Good food to eat 50% off during breaks (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management create a tense environment when they are there (in 35 reviews)

• long hours and weekends, no room for growth (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Very friendly coworkers.

Former Employee - Busser in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Busser in Phila, PA

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I met a lot of nice people.
    My hours were favorable.
    Got a discount on food.

Cons

I was a busser and I had no way of knowing if I was getting shorted in my tips.
    The guests at the location I worked were often unfavorable.
    A lot of the cooks they hire are shady people.

Make sure you hire friendly people.
    Keep the restaurant properly stocked, because it not only affects the servers, but also the guest.

Terrible corporation

Former Employee - Server in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's enjoyable to work with employees who quickly become your friends. You need to have friends there who will be willing to do you favors- such as run a drink to your table or take your shift when you're not feeling well.

Cons

I've worked for several Ruby Tuesdays. The management is always disgruntled, poorly trained (especially in sensitivity) and underpaid. Servers tip out bartender, host and food runner/QSS.

Treat your employees with respect.

GM

I worked at Ruby Tuesday

Pros

There aren't any positive comments to make about Ruby Tuesday

Cons

Everything from the beginning to my last day was a disappointment.

No comment

A shell of its former self

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are ok and the kitchen experience isn't bad for beginners. I can't think of much else besides that.

Cons

I worked for a Ruby Tuesday long before they mistakenly changed their format over to what resembles a funeral home and it was a much more gratifying experience then than it is now. Upper management is pretty much non-existent outside of coming up with new orders to randomly bark at you through your GM but when they are coming by, everyone runs around like aliens are invading. Most "solutions" never really make sense and I'm sure some have a purpose but we'd never know why, making for a constant air of confusion as to what any given employee's responsibilities really are. This company seems to have turned "fixing what isn't broken" into a business model. Any mention of actual problems generally drums up the response that you're "whining" or that it's someone else's fault.

The pantry side of the cook line carries most of the menu items as well as holds up quite a few contributions to grill items that can make it more than hectic when things get busy. Speaking of which, most of the time the communication is so laughable that the kitchen is very easily swamped with little to no indication of when or how it's happening. The KDS system, while a bit better to manage than tickets, is usually quite flawed when timing pantry and grill items together and has its recipes constantly changed without any notice, sometimes even to managers. I have spent months making items the way I learned how just to find out they are magically different the next day.

Having any sort of proficiency or strong work ethic tends to work against you as more often than not, that just means you will have to carry someone else's workload. This happens daily considering that there are many employees who either have no business working in a kitchen, no common sense, are too weathered down to keep up, or simply do not care. Hiring is an absolute joke of a process and nine times out of ten what comes in is just there to fill a hole...that's ten feet deep....with a plastic spoon. The rest can be attributed to the atrocious training program which is hard to pin down in words because there barely is one. Unless you are FOH, you might get two to three days of training before being expected to keep up with the rest.

Scheduling is an absolute nightmare, especially after a recent update to the system that "suggests" start-times based on business. While excellent in theory, it is terrible in execution. The result has been slashed hours on any given week and that unsettling feeling of instability that comes with a schedule that never remains the same through each week. The pay is already nothing to call home about and coupled with the schedule, it's almost amazing anyone sticks around for more than a month. Why some do, I will never know.

Overall the experience may be worth it but the work environment is way too stressful if you are working here primarily. I have been in the industry for over 10 years and this is the hardest job I've had. I would not recommend working for this company outside of looking to get some weekend spending money...nevermind, you don't get weekends off.

Listen to your employees and spend more time hiring quality people instead of what walks through the door first. Develop sensible policies that keep the staff's comfort level in mind. Work is work but it shouldn't be grueling because of bogged-down and foolish practices.

Full time for over 3 years

Former Employee - Server in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Allows other people to pick up your shift, even last minute. Relaxed environment sometimes.

Cons

Managers show favoritism and unfair policies. Allow two people to get the closing lunch shift every day instead of rotating to worthy people that have been there for years. They let new people off every Sunday, but made me work open brunch every week despite me being there nearly four years and requesting it off for church. They would rather higher in new bartender than allow a long time employee to move up or cross train.

Rotate shifts and do not always make someone with religious beliefs work on Sunday. Allow growth because there is none.

Not bad, not great...expectatiins/demands high

Current Employee - Guest Service Manager in Waterville, ME
    Current Employee - Guest Service Manager in Waterville, ME

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good leadership at local/regional level

Cons

Work/life balance. hours, pay raise policies

Wishy Washy

Former Employee - Bartender in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tips are always good and hours are flexible

Cons

They are constantly changing everything. You can always tell what "new ideas" are going to last.. and which ones are not.

Award your employees and store management.

ok

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Collinsville, IL
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Collinsville, IL

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

guests and fellow employees were why I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

mgmt. and company culture. they are consistently having class action lawsuits brought on them for labor violations.

quit stealing from your servers to pay for boh labor.

meh...

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Of course, the tips. even though the people that come in there aren't always the nicest, that's with any job you're ever gonna have.

Cons

does not live up to its standard of "freshness." the one i worked at had a horrible problem with flies.

If you have an interview with someone, try not to wait too long to follow up on it. it looks bad, it makes a business seem unprofessional

chaotic

Current Employee - Server/Bartender
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time

Pros

fast cash, meet great people

Cons

too much change from corporate constantly, pointless changes

Ruby Tuesday Photos