Ruby Tuesday

www.rubytuesday.com

Ruby Tuesday Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
Ruby Tuesday – Newport – “Ruby Tuesday”

Ruby Tuesday – Newport – “Ruby Tuesday”

James J. "J.J." Buettgen

Pros
  • Good food to eat 50% off during breaks (in 22 reviews)

• flexible schedule, great coworkers, good tips during night shifts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management create a tense environment when they are there (in 30 reviews)

• long hours and weekends, no room for growth (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive working environment

Server (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed working at Ruby Tuesday. The coworkers were fun and management was responsive to staff needs. The food is good and the restaurant is clean.

ConsSome downsides of working at Ruby Tuesday were dealing with rude and messy customers. I also did not enjoy having to pick up cigarette butts in the parking lot or being given busy work during slow shifts.

Fun place to work.

Waitress (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsGood tips sometimes. Free alcohol after hours.

ConsPoor people with double coupons who tip badly.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Hands down best management over previous jobs.

Server (Current Employee) Fargo, ND

ProsVery flexible hours. Management is understanding of all time off requests with no judgement. They work around school schedules and other work schedules. All managers are very hands on. I've had managers bus my tables for me when I fall behind, and they do it with a smile. Almost all employees seem to enjoy their jobs which makes going to work fun. Ongoing training is provided through food shows.

ConsTip outs are automatic and based on sales. If you do not get help with cleaning tables or get any drink orders from the bar, there is still an automatic tip out taken. If a guests do not tip, there is still a tip out taken based on the sales. Expo shifts can be stressful. Ruby Tuesday sends out several coupons which sometimes will attract guests who do not normally go out to eat and do not enjoy spending as much money which affects our sales and tips.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it

Server/Bartender (Current Employee) Amsterdam, NY

ProsBest reasons for me are really the people I work with. But overall the work atmosphere is great. I love the team aspect.

ConsConstant changing menu, customers upset at times

Not bad

Server (Former Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsDecent discounts, easy training, micros system was easy to learn

ConsBig menu that was constantly changing, lots of side work

Hostess turned busser

Hostess (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY

Pros50% discount on the food (when I worked there), easy to get enough hours, tip-out was decent (I took home about $10/hr as a hostess and busser). They were willing to accomodate my class schedule (college student) and my coworkers were generally friendly (see below).

ConsI felt overlooked, asked to work in a position where I was interacting with customers/around the kitchen more, they "promoted" me to food runner. Ended up doing more bussing and stocking, as I watched coworkers who had not been there even a few months (at this point I'd worked there a year) be promoted from hostess right to server. There was a certain "clique" of employees, who were friends with the manager/his family and got privileges (best shifts/promoted quickly etc.)
    Also, there were THREE different GM's in the year and 1/2 I worked there. I felt like not one of them actually got to know me or realize my potential as a hard worker. Only my immediate supervisor (who had no real power in promoting people) recognized me. Finally got fed up and left to work at a diner as a server, and actually make my own tips.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ignore your employees' requests and hard work. They will resent you for it. Also, this is not high school. Please treat everyone with dignity and respect, not just those in your "inner circle".

Great amount of interpersonal skills learned by working with great coworkers!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe co-workers! They made you want to come to work every day

ConsPay is low, but tips help

Don't wait Your TIme Unless you have a big Rack and Like Kissing Ass

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Las Cruces, NM

ProsGreat training in materials...but dont expect to get enough time to properly look it all over and apply it before you run the floor solo. Be prepared to work close opens... ALOT

ConsFranchise owners don't care about you unless you are a very gorgeous female with big boobs

Rollercoaster ride

Server (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsManagement pretty much let employees get away with whatever they want, including no-call/no-show, because they're too hard up for employees to fire anyone.

Low service level expected, making it simple to turn tables (if it's busy.)

50% off 1 meal on days that you work.

Training can take less than a week before you're on the floor alone.

Short shifts, little sidework required. Low silverware count.

Restaurant closes fairly early at night.

ConsRestaurant is consistently receiving bad health inspections.

TOO many servers on per shift, making it hard to get more than 3-4 tables a shift.

Tip out to hosts and bus boys is absurd, especially because most of the time
    they weren't doing their job (but you still have to tip out anyway.)

Managers choose favorites and let certain employees get away with anything they want to avoid dealing with their whining and complaining.

Too coupon driven. More often than not, patrons tip off the bill AFTER coupon.

Menu changes very often, making customers upset about inconsistency. Also makes it hard for servers to obtain menu knowledge and cooks to get things right.

Constant micro managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out the micro-managing and trust your employees (managers AND servers to do their jobs.

Find an identity and stick with it.

Cut down on the coupons.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

server

Server (Current Employee) Sanford, NC

Prosfun atmosphere and co workers, good tips

Consno benefits, no career opportunities

Worked for Ruby Tuesday? Contribute to the Community!