www.rubytuesday.com

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.1

James J. "J.J." Buettgen

Pros
  • Working at a restaurant gives you a more flexible schedule and Ruby Tuesdays isn't the worse (in 25 reviews)

• Good food to eat 50% off during breaks (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management create a tense environment when they are there (in 35 reviews)

• long hours and weekends, no room for growth (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great for college students

Former Employee - Hostess/Waitress/Bartender in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Hostess/Waitress/Bartender in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good with scheduling around other jobs and school. My General Manager wanted us to be taking college classes. I enjoyed the people I worked with and in the two years I worked there I went from a hostess with difficulty talking to guests to a bartender that loved starting conversations with the people I served.

Cons

Very strict about what you wear and the things you say.

Very friendly coworkers.

Former Employee - Busser in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Busser in Phila, PA

I worked at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I met a lot of nice people.
    My hours were favorable.
    Got a discount on food.

Cons

I was a busser and I had no way of knowing if I was getting shorted in my tips.
    The guests at the location I worked were often unfavorable.
    A lot of the cooks they hire are shady people.

Make sure you hire friendly people.
    Keep the restaurant properly stocked, because it not only affects the servers, but also the guest.

Good, could be better.

Former Employee - Chef in Columbia, TN
    Former Employee - Chef in Columbia, TN

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good hours if you learn grill and close.

Cons

Don't pay too much unless you put in years of work first.

Follow through with promises

Horrified

Former Employee - Server/Bartender
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

So far as I can see at this point the pro's of this company are long gone. We had pro's in the early 2000. They were the days of Tiffany Lamps, Super sampler appetizers, burgers, and Blue Lagoon Megaritas, the Megatron. A ladder to climb. Benefits. A reason for going to work. Now we have none of these things which made us distinctive - Ruby's has no identity now. I am sure there are locations where the good managers have not yet been fired for nothing. I am sure there are some locations doing well. I have simply at this point encountered too many locations where doing the right thing and being a great employee led to a reward of unemployment. Had we never sold stock we would have been fine but too many cooks have officially destroyed my memories of what used to be a really great place to work.

Cons

The more time goes by the more and more this company horrifies me in the obnoxious, self centered, childish, ridiculous characters it is more and more frequently hiring for restaurant management. I previously reviewed my experience about my own amazing manager being inexplicably fired and replaced with a person who has no idea how to communicate or relate to others to motivate them. I have been away from Ruby's happily now at another chain who truly cares about their employees and the difference is staggering - I now hear that two fantastic employees at the Plymouth Meeting, PA location who have been there for years - among the strongest performers and leaders on that team were fired on a whim - A new Manager was brought in - who told BOTH employees simply that she did some soul searching over the weekend and decided today would be their last day. One trained me while I was there - he was one of the most pleasant coworkers, knew every policy, had tons of regulars - coached all the other employees constantly if anyone was not upholding a company standard - his nickname was "Corporate". He was there for years - he had requested of the new manager simply to start his shifts a little bit earlier so he wouldn't miss the lunch rush. She repeatedly taunted him to quit if he didn't like it. He said he had no intention of doing so. She told him he was self centered and then fired him. Another also had been there for years. I believe he may have had a single customer complaint and had temporarily limited his availability - he stressed that this was temporary - and she fired him too - using the same line on that same evening. Unless this store is closing there is absolutely zero benefit to the store for these people to be gone - they brought in business and motivated and assisted all of their coworkers. This company seems to be tanking if hiring is any indication. I am glad I am elsewhere and cannot imagine ever going back to this - there's no motivation to see that sticking with ones job, being great to work with, working hard, caring for one's customer, and following policy repeatedly causes one to be tossed out of a job on a whim. I am honestly sickened by this. I can't even see eating at a Ruby's again. I used to love working at Ruby's and even recently ate at Ruby's still - I will not be doing so anymore. The sort of people being kept vs people being fired is - sick. Truly.

Care at all about employees - offer them anything - reward people who others in the restaurant view as an asset. Bring back the 4 start thing so anyone has a reason to work hard and invest in the store. Appreciate employees - give anonymous surveys so they can give honest input - they know that business and the things needed better than anyone in a suit. ASK THEM and stop letting management poo all over them all the time. No one is motivated to do their best working under a totally messed up leader. Put management in that can motivate their staff and work with and communicate with them - no matter their numbers performance - numbers will come. No matter what A type they pop up as on a personality survey - that is not good hiring - that's lazy and misleading and that is not working in this case FYI- scrap the personality profile and meet the person - see what staff loyalty they bring in - because if they bring it in - they will have it also at Ruby's. Turnover in my experience is apalling in a way it never used to be - people used to stay and care and put effort into their job - no one cares in the current environment - its a joke. Only those above can change that. There need to be accountability for management in the restaurant. The new manager at Plymouth Meeting PA should not have been able to fire those men without a reason and the former manager of the Albany location also should not have been fired. I realize that I may not know all sides of a story but I know people and hiring and training and staffing and I know that these people were incredibly valuable in a way that cannot be replaced by the next pile of applications. They were the stuff that this place used to be made of and it never is anymore because that same stuff gets fired for rubbing some upper management snob the wrong way on a bad day.

Server

Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I typically had very short shifts. The food tastes great and it's a 50% discount.

Cons

Awful tips, lots of coupons which attract the wrong kind of people, typically super slow.

Don't be so disrespectful to employees.

chaotic

Current Employee - Server/Bartender
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time

Pros

fast cash, meet great people

Cons

too much change from corporate constantly, pointless changes

Difficult company to work for.

Former Employee - I Worked My Way Up From Server to Bartender to Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like their food. It is of a higher quality than some of the other restaurants they compete with (ie Applebee's, TGI Friday's, Chili's, etc.) and their salad bar is a nice option for people. I made decent money while I worked there. That is why I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Nothing stays the same. EVER. I worked in several locations in several states over 4 years and every RT I walked into was exactly the same. I believe this is because of the way the company runs its headquarters in Maryville, TN, which functions exactly like its restaurants do across the country. It's very difficult to enforce standards in an organization and have respect for management when the standards enforced today are different than they were yesterday and you know whatever is expected today will be discarded tomorrow. Also, the menu changes every 3 months like clockwork, so you will get sick of guests coming in to order their favorite dish, only to angrily walk out because it is no longer on the menu. One day you will get sent home because your uniform isn't formal enough; the next day they will let you wear jeans to work. No one ever has a sense of what the "Ruby Tuesday way of doing things" is. Their training is the worst I have ever seen: it consists of 100's of pages of computer reading, which very often freeze up and erase all your progress, so you have to start over. Unfortunately, training for managers is just as appalling as it is for all the other employees, so managers are pretty much glorified cooks and servers with no idea of how a restaurant should be run. One of the tougher problems RT faces is that they are trying to go from being an "Applebee's" type place to raising their food and service level to more of a Bonefish Grill atmosphere. Unfortunately, they mostly attract only the Applebee's crowd who often are angered by the Bonefish Grill prices. Picture handing a $20 steak to someone who just ordered it Extra Well Done and dumped A-1 Steak Sauce all over it. Ponderosa customers aren't happy with RT prices. Overall, just look at their stock price to see if you want to work for them: $6 currently... not great.

Go work for someone else if you desire to grow into a talented manager. I've seen more than one actually good manager get fired only to be replaced by someone I wouldn't trust with my kids or even my dog. Company values and culture trickle from the top down in any organization. I've never met the CEO, but I can tell you from experience, I fully believe he has a severe case of ADD. The running joke of the restaurant is that "Ruby Tuesday" is Latin for "CHANGE".

Manager

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager

I worked at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good hours for Restaurant manager. Quality of life good.

Cons

Leadership changed recently and if you have worked there for loner than 7 years you get paid too much and they will find a way to replace you with lower salaried manager. In one year i have seen 6 managers let go that had been there loner than 7 years. Not a long-term job.

Take of the people that have taken care of the company's business.

Server

Current Employee - Server in Bessemer, AL
    Current Employee - Server in Bessemer, AL

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family like environment
    Opportunity for advancement

Cons

poor training and the pay is average
    The Managers are usually overly stressed due to unrealistic demands and changes from corporate.

Be more hands on with the training process.

Meh, pays the bills

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Ruby Tuesday full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Food, easy labor, low stress, lots of downtime

Cons

Corporate, can't afford decent servers, good ones are lost because they don't make nough

Every guest is important and correct, except the one's that are actually wrong

Ruby Tuesday Photos