Ruder Finn

Ruder Finn Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Ruder Finn CEO Kathy Bloomgarden

Kathy Bloomgarden

Pros:
  • "some really smart people great clients good work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Fantastic location (I was in the London branch), great people"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, weird politics -- if you are not "in" you will not progress in your career"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Work/life balance can change unexpectedly and without warning"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best internship for those starting off in PR

Healthcare Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ruder Finn as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe culture is very supportive and encouraging. As in intern I worked on accounts with all levels of employees including VPs/SVPs. I didn't ever feel like a useless intern doing busy work. Paid internship!

ConsSo many different things involved in PR that you may not get to do everything you want but you'll still get a pretty good taste of it.

Great environment to gain practical experience; not for long-term growth

Account Executive (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time for more than a year

Pros- ET Program provides college grads with great hands-on intro to PR and general client-based industries
- Learn advanced research, communications and presentation skills
- Opportunity to work with many types of personalities in a rigorous and sometimes creative environment
- Access to RFI Studios is an awesome opportunity to get a 360 experience in building PR campaigns from the ground up

Cons- Long hours for many projects, sometimes weekend work
- High turnaround, revolving door of junior and senior employees
- Lack of junior staff support
- Demanding, sometimes out-of-touch, senior management
- Bureaucratic nature, people promoted because of seniority and not necessarily work quality

Advice to Senior Management- Place more emphasis on developing junior staff so they don't leave after a year or two, rather than hiring numerous senior executives just for their status
- Place a cap on work hours or find more support to even out work-life balance for everyone

Executive Training Program - hit or miss

Executive Trainee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Ruder Finn as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Structured training program for entry-level PR professionals
- Weekly seminars on PR 101
- Serve as an asset to teams

Cons- Your individual opportunities are based upon the team that selects you, so it's hit or miss

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more transparency to employees

Not a nice place to work for

Account Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time for less than a year

ProsName recognition - One of the largest and most well-known p.r. agencies in country, great clients, decent salaries and benefits,

ConsNot supportive, very political environment, stressful atmosphere, principals pitch the accounts and once they land a client, they turn it over to junior AE's to manag

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer to your staff and more honest with your cients

Good!

Visual Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ruder Finn full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is not bad to start your career.

ConsEmployee benefit is not good!

Young culture, smart employees for the most part

New York, NY

I have been working at Ruder Finn full-time for more than a year

ProsDiverse experience in communications, including external media and internal employee engagement programs. Opportunity to learn a variety of skills that can apply to other industries. Young, fun culture with frequent employee events. A few good perks in terms of expenses, etc.

ConsSome processes are backward in terms of new business development. Senior management is often demanding with unreasonable expectations and unwilling to push back against clients when work is out of scope. Work/life balance can change unexpectedly and without warning.

Worthy Experience but heavy workload

ACE (Former Employee)

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time for less than a year

ProsI've learned a lot about PR issues, including drafting proposals, pitching, managing PR crisis. They are pretty welcome individual's contribution, such as ideas.

ConsThe workload is really heavy. I've worked for over 15 hours per day, but it really depends on which client you get.

Great experience!

Summer Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ruder Finn as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Talented and nice people
- A lot of trainings
- Big name clients
- Sports after work

Cons- Not having a real responsibility. I help doing research, but not more than that.

Horrible company with little hope of professional advancement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ruder Finn full-time

ProsI assume that at one point it was a good agency, and it still has a decent reputation.

ConsJunior staff members are regulated to very boring searches. Very little opportunity to be recognized for your work. Siloed organization--if you don't like your team, there is little opportunity to work across sectors, and poor communication across teams. Windowless office with poor climate control. Very young company that feels like a sorority.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire senior management staff.

Wonderful community, hands on experience for all & smart leardership

Senior Account Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ruder Finn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Great people! Everyone here is super smart, from Executive Trainees to the CEO, and we all learn from and support each other. There is a great vibe here because everyone gets along, there is minimal drama and people like what they do.
- Solid accounts - The agency is an upswing of winning some amazing business. There are some pretty great accounts in all groups.
- Smart way of working - Management here has a smart approach to work, so staff doesn't feel like they're trucking along for no reason. RF has a smart way of working, so that we're not throwing darts at a million different targets and instead have a strategy that is understood by junior people.
- Great perks - from snacks, to summer hours, to charity drives and occasional parties, staff are given great perks. We can also bring dogs to work on Fridays and my dog loves coming here.

Cons- Senior management is thin - there aren't many at the SVP level so leadership in some groups is thin. This creates more exposure opportunities for those at the mid-level, but sometimes you just want an SVP to better help guide you instead of having to go straight to the top.
- Long hours happen - as with any PR agency job, work ebbs and flows, which means sometimes we work late.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore internal engagement and leadership would be great. Better cross-group internal synergies are needed too. Also, more senior managers in the office would be great!

Worked for Ruder Finn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ruder Finn reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ruder Finn CEO Kathy Bloomgarden. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Ruder Finn employees.