Rue La La

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Creative perks (Sample sales, summer Friday hours, Bagel Fridays)(in 11 reviews)

• Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone)(in 9 reviews)

• Senior management does not voice MAJOR changes to it's employees(in 7 reviews)

Very fast paced environment, not for wimps!

Technology Based (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI have been at Rue for two years. As the title says, this is a very fast paced environment and you will not succeed if you are not a self starter. It can sometimes be difficult to get help for a problem, their has been a corporate culture of not answering email although I think this is turning around. There have been some reorganizations and in some aspects that has also helped. There has been a terrible attrition problem, quite a few folks were burned out. Upper management has stated publicly that they have seen the problem and want to help solve it. The office environment is very vibrant and the location in Downtown (Fort Point) was a plus for me. For some it makes for a terrible commute. The management really does try to do things to make the employee's feel that they are recognized. I would say that Rue does this better than any company i have worked for.

ConsAs stated above it can be tough to get traction in the beginning. The corporate culture of not answering email does not help. If you really need an answer sometimes you are forced to have to go and interrupt someone which leads to a very interrupt prone environment. The environment can be very loud. Actually, it can be very, very loud. They need more smaller meeting rooms so that impromptu meetings don't have to take place talking over three cubicles. There is also a 'meeting culture' at the company. Things which could be hashed out in a few email exchanges are usually hashed out in meetings instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the quarterly surveys. Also, there should be a formal 'skip level' one on one meeting process in place.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Challenging and fast paced work enviornment

Management (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers,benefits, work differs day to day.

ConsCheap, sneaky, and not forthcoming with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe upfront and honest.

Greeat opportunity to Earn and learn

Assistant Menswear Buyer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossmall-ish corporate company offered plenty of opportunities to keep busy with work and get hands on. I loved all the booklets to help you get acquainted with youor new position and company, as well as all the current information available, including current linesheets, trending magazines.
    Amazing employee value with travel opportunities, company gifts (towels, mugs, water bottles)

ConsI loved work for Rue!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Innovative, Fast Paced, Fashion Forward Company

ProsIt's difficult to find a job that you love coming to everyday but that is what I found at Rue La La. The office is environment is innovative and collaborative with the feeling that everyone is working towards the same goal, which is to see the company succeed. Great coworkers and a supportive environment for taking risks and trying new things. The office itself is in a great location. Work schedule is flexible (i.e. ability to work from home, free to manage your own time as long as the work is getting done) which allows for a work-life balance. The company offers a variety of great perks like Sample Sales, employee discounts, Thirsty Thursday events and Bagel Fridays. Frequently the company gives back to employees by offering special events (Pretzel Sunday Bars, free lunches). Company offers training and development programs throughout the year. Aside from the perks, the best part of my job is feeling like I am making a difference with the work I am doing and knowing that I have a future with the company.

ConsExtremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone). The company is always changing so there is definitely a need to keep an open mind and remain flexible. The fourth quarter is always an intense time of year, so extra hours are usually the norm.

Good working environment

ProsRue La La is a very high energy and motivated company where people are passionate about their jobs. There is a lot of creativity and even in the short time I've been with Rue there has been numerous great, new initiatives launched on the site. It is a fact paced environment and everyone is constantly willing to put in the extra work for the overall benefit of the company.

ConsRue La La is a newer company so there are still some struggles with communication and how things operate between teams. Some times procedures are not as smooth as they should be due to the company working out what works best and how to effectively roll things out

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is currently a lot of management and I think Rue would benefit with less management

A Great Tech in Business Education

Technology (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIn my time at Rue, I've seen some, experienced, and participated in some truly remarkable things. I've seen my team come together in a marathon re-platforming of our site in which many stuck through numerous challenges and changes to the organization, but maintained a focus on "shipping it". I've seen our team to work collaboratively with an entire organization of Marketing, Sales, Production professionals to uncover their needs/pain points and implement creative solutions. I've experienced opportunities that I did not expect; chances to learn the business, train in management, and help grow new businesses for our company. I'm given the opportunity every day to participate with a strong, smart team of folks who "can do". So far, it's been an absolute pleasure -- and I'm looking forward to what the future brings.

ConsI think we need to do a better job of hiring the right people. I've seen reviews that talk about attrition and losing "strong people", but I'd argue that many of those folks weren't the right people for the job. We need a strong team of folks who can come in and be a part of the team -- learn new things, share what you've learned, ship great code, be able to estimate your work and deliver when you say you will, but MOST importantly: be a team player.

Also of note: there will be crunch times where you're asked to contribute a little more (we're talking maybe a 50 hour week.) In my experience, this is not a big deal -- especially as I take personal accountability for getting our products out there. But if you're someone who comes in at 10am and wants to leave at 5pm on the dot, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management does a pretty good job of trying to balance the needs of the organization with the needs of the team. In the new year, we need to deliver on the promise of innovation through our portfolios. Bringing back hackathons or giving folks time for creative explorations in things that could help give back to the team will go a long way.

Loving working at Rue La La!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSupportive manager and co-workers, great mentors, exciting and changing work on a daily basis.

ConsWould like to have higher pay for amount of work and better employee discount

Advice to Senior Managementget more focused with more on brand sales events. Stay away from the cheaper, not as attractive brands.

Fantastic group of people - high energy - fast paced

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe people at Rue are amazing - bright, kind, collaborative. There is a sense that we are all working together to give the member a great experience. And I feel most employees get exposure to all levels of the organization and many different aspects of the business.

ConsThe nature of the business is ever-changing, which can be exciting, but also challenging. You need to be prepared to handle shifting focuses, moving targets and competing priorities.

Fresh out of college and couldn't be happier!

Event Coordinator (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI interned at Rue La La the summer going into my senior year of college. I absolutely fell in love with the company for its culture, energy, and purpose. I was surrounded by brilliant people with passion and I wanted nothing more to be a part of it. Once my internship had ended, I knew Rue was the place for me and as soon as I graduated I jumped onto an opportunity within the event production department. I work with such talented people who are willing to help constantly; for a graduate, what more could you ask for?

ConsVery fast paced...everyone has their good days and bad days. The ability of adapting to change certainly keeps you on your toes!

Smart Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSmart people work at Rue; great culture; close environment of teamwork and collaboration; hard workers are the norm. Not meant for coasters, Rue La La holds employees to a high standard of work and commitment.

ConsSometimes long hours are expected, to get the best job done.

Worked for Rue La La? Contribute to the Community!