Rue La La

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Davis

Pros:
  • "Creative perks (Sample sales, summer Friday hours, Bagel Fridays)"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone)"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management does not voice MAJOR changes to it's employees"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good working environment

ProsRue La La is a very high energy and motivated company where people are passionate about their jobs. There is a lot of creativity and even in the short time I've been with Rue there has been numerous great, new initiatives launched on the site. It is a fact paced environment and everyone is constantly willing to put in the extra work for the overall benefit of the company.

ConsRue La La is a newer company so there are still some struggles with communication and how things operate between teams. Some times procedures are not as smooth as they should be due to the company working out what works best and how to effectively roll things out

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is currently a lot of management and I think Rue would benefit with less management

A Great Tech in Business Education

Technology (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsIn my time at Rue, I've seen some, experienced, and participated in some truly remarkable things. I've seen my team come together in a marathon re-platforming of our site in which many stuck through numerous challenges and changes to the organization, but maintained a focus on "shipping it". I've seen our team to work collaboratively with an entire organization of Marketing, Sales, Production professionals to uncover their needs/pain points and implement creative solutions. I've experienced opportunities that I did not expect; chances to learn the business, train in management, and help grow new businesses for our company. I'm given the opportunity every day to participate with a strong, smart team of folks who "can do". So far, it's been an absolute pleasure -- and I'm looking forward to what the future brings.

ConsI think we need to do a better job of hiring the right people. I've seen reviews that talk about attrition and losing "strong people", but I'd argue that many of those folks weren't the right people for the job. We need a strong team of folks who can come in and be a part of the team -- learn new things, share what you've learned, ship great code, be able to estimate your work and deliver when you say you will, but MOST importantly: be a team player.

Also of note: there will be crunch times where you're asked to contribute a little more (we're talking maybe a 50 hour week.) In my experience, this is not a big deal -- especially as I take personal accountability for getting our products out there. But if you're someone who comes in at 10am and wants to leave at 5pm on the dot, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management does a pretty good job of trying to balance the needs of the organization with the needs of the team. In the new year, we need to deliver on the promise of innovation through our portfolios. Bringing back hackathons or giving folks time for creative explorations in things that could help give back to the team will go a long way.

Fantastic group of people - high energy - fast paced

Boston, MA

ProsThe people at Rue are amazing - bright, kind, collaborative. There is a sense that we are all working together to give the member a great experience. And I feel most employees get exposure to all levels of the organization and many different aspects of the business.

ConsThe nature of the business is ever-changing, which can be exciting, but also challenging. You need to be prepared to handle shifting focuses, moving targets and competing priorities.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast Paced, passionate environment

Boston, MA

Pros*A young, enthusiastic staff - talented and hard working

*Accepting of different perspectives - many types able to succeed

*Ability to make an impact

*Focus on employee satisfaction w/ activities, free perks, sales

*Cooperative fun environment

*Opportunities to learn and work with marketing, creative, fashion merchandising, finance, PR, logistics - well rounded experience

Cons*Workload can be excessive, without necessarily having the tools or time to be effective

*Fast pace leads to constantly changing priorities with different levels of follow-through

*Lack of communication/coordination across the different areas of the company

*Systems are not integrated, causing lots of unproductive, tedious manual work

Advice to Senior ManagementThe advantages and disadvantages of the company are two sides of the same coin. The fast pace and change is exciting and challenging, and also can be frustrating and difficult.

The willingness to try new things allows people to feel like they are making an impact, but also causes communication and coordination issues.

The broadest advice would be to find ways to give the employees more time. Everyone I speak with feels they could be more effective with better support; through systems enhancements, adding additional roles, or re-organizing current responsibilities.

Incredibly Friendly, Incredibly Fast

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe number one reason I came to work at Ruelala, and the number one reason I am still here, is that one of our core values is kindness, and I feel that reflects upon the people that work here or at least the atmosphere. My previous jobs have been full of Egotistical People that put down others for the simple reason they weren't as "awesome" as they were. In Ruelala, I have never experienced something like that. People here are friendly and kind and I have a community of helpfulness with my fellow engineers. Technically, the challenges we face are interesting and fun. Huge amount of users with several different layers of technology gives a great amount of opportunity to learn and improve.

ConsRuelala works fast, and that can be difficult on some people. Also we usually focus on getting things done on time, rather than getting them done perfectly. I am myself of the mindset that the business needs always come first, but I know that has been a negative for some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe biggest problem I'd like to see solved is the Engineering Onboarding process. In the past other engineers and myself have come together to work out a better process, but have been unable to do so in a effective and quick manner.

Exciting marketing/tech/retail company going through the typical growing pains of a startup and loaded with upside!

Production (Current Employee)

collaborative
    recognition for performance
    invested in your success

Consgrowing pains
    resource strain to get tech projects accomplished
    priorities can change so goals are not accomplished
    tools, tools, tools
    The back office processes can be highly manual and somewhat redundant

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in site personalization and customization. There are huge opportunities for the company to grow but the associates need tools to help make their job easier

Fun, fast-paced environment. Nothing like it in Boston

ProsRue La La has some really hardworking, supportive & creative people. Lots of perks (sample sales, discounted movie tickets, Rue discount, Bagel Fridays, snack closet, birthdays off), plenty of holidays (having the day after Thanksgiving off is great!), opportunities to explore other parts of the company.

ConsSome managers support growth and others don't. Lots of turnover in several departments leaves you feeling less than secure in your position.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement/hiring managers need to be open and honest about growth potential, opportunities and timeline otherwise employees may feel strung along.

Is Rue for You?

Assistant Event Producer (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsI am a current employee at Rue. I love working here and have been at the company almost 2 years.

What I love and works for me:

What I love and works for me:

The creative environment in the office.

Working with so many people and different departments on a daily basis.

Sample Sales.

Getting to see an event produced from start to finish.

The open concept layout of the office. No one has an office, you can see into all of the conference rooms. This allows you work openly with everyone even upper management.

The great working relationships you build with other associates.

We build relationships with other local small businesses that come into Rue occasionally with their product for us to try!

ConsWhat might or might not work for some-

This is really a fast paced environment- I like it that way because every day is different but you will always be moving. You are expected to get your job done; this is not a company where you will find hand holding or micro-management.

You will eat a lot (aka gain weight) especially during Holiday time. But you are fed well so no complaints here!

If you are looking for a job in the "Fashion Industry” and positions that seem more appealing it will be really hard to get your foot in the door- your need to be persistent and have patience (Qualities that will help you when you work at Rue). Many start out in a contract position and get hired full time after a few months of being contract (that’s how I started). If you are looking for positions that are not in fashion or creative than it might be more accessible to get into Rue with your desired role.

Loving what I'm learning

Software Architect (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsI feel like I have a voice here. There's nothing more frustrating for a technologist than the expectation to be a high-achiever without being empowered to affect change throughout the company.

I feel like I'm surrounded by a lot of smart, creative people.

ConsSome pretty significant growing pains. It's hard work. But hey, if anyone could do it… where's the fun in that?

Fast-paced environment; collaborative and supportive team

Boston, MA

Pros-Flexibility within my role to take on new tasks and responsibilities
    -Fast-paced culture and environment (works best for me personally, but not for everyone)
    -Incredibly supportive colleagues and management, open dialogue encouraged
    -Creative perks (Sample sales, summer Friday hours, Bagel Fridays)

Cons-Growing pains within the past few years; Rue is a young company that's coming into its own
    -Resources available can limit day to day work; processes can be manual - more tech automation needed
    -Work/life balance can be challenging; at times I feel married to my mobile email

Worked for Rue La La? Contribute to the Community!

Rue La La Videos

Rue La La – Why Work for Us?

STYLE. DELIVERED DAILY. Rue La La is the destination for the most desired brands at Members-only prices. Each day, we curate Boutiques filled with the best of the best in women's and men's fashion, home, travel, kids… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rue La La reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rue La La CEO Steve Davis. All 85 reviews posted anonymously by Rue La La employees.