Rue La La Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Steve Davis

Pros
  • perks include sample sales but those really don't make up for the back breaking hours expected and demanded of staff (in 14 reviews)

• great office space and snack closet (not healthy snacks) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be ready for a fast-paced environment (in 12 reviews)

• the feeling is that no one cares and it really doesn't matter what occurs in you life Rue La La expects that it is your life (in 7 reviews)

Looks like a good place, but it's awful

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits package was decent enough, as well as holidays off and vacation time.

Cons

Rue La La doesn't care about the people that work for them, that has to be the biggest con. Year over year you will see the best people, the ones with the biggest visions, the most creative insight, and hardest workers let go. It's very common to be notified that the head of a creative department has been fired for no reason or that someone who was in line for a promotion is no longer with the company. You will also see other loyal workers leave right behind them out of disgust. It's very typical to hear "Keep your resume updated." Rue also does mass firings early in the year and then tells the company that former employees are just lucky to be able to put Rue's name on their resume. It's laughable. I would never work for a company that holds themselves in this regard ever again.

Those who kiss the most butt get raises and promotions, not the people doing the actual work. The people who skimp on work and lie are the ones that are praised by upper management. Things like this make it so hard to get up and go into work most days, knowing you will never be recognized or rewarded no matter how much effort you put in.

While the holidays are nice they are all focused for the home office in Boston. If you work at a satellite location some of the paid holidays will leave you scratching your head and they will not respect holidays normally observed in your area. They will also promise "summer Fridays" and then management will either attempt to guilt you into not leaving early or plainly tell you that you cannot leave.

HR does not care either. There are some great people in HR, but at the end of the day they will never side with employees, always with the company. And the best ones never stay long. Also, don't expect to be offered a fair wage. They pay employees next to nothing and men make a lot more than women. It's rare that they promote up, even if you've been there for four or five years. And men are almost always in management positions over women, even when the whole department is women. At my position I was making less than $40K and later found out someone with a junior title below my status was making $60K+. They will also make you sign a non-compete and when you choose to leave they company for a better opportunity they will threaten you with it.

Rue also spends a lot of time concerning themselves with their competitors, especially Gilt. Having known a few Gilt employees I asked how frequently Rue was mentioned at their meetings throughout the year. The answer? Never. Rue La La's entire focus is about trying to outdo Gilt and they talk about it a lot while Gilt is just about trying to raise their company up. It's kind of funny.

Processes change from month to month and sometimes week to week so you will constantly feel like you have no control. If you have trouble grasping a concept, learning a new program, or trying to sort out some new organizational method and need help, forget it. You will be left to your own devices. And managers who screw up too will place the blame on you. Be prepared to be a scapegoat.

Most managers are completely inexperienced, in either general management or in the retail industry. (That's probably the best way to go if you're going to low ball them on pay.) It's embarrassing to hear someone who is making double your salary incorrectly pronounce designer names or be clueless as to what kinds of products they make. But, Rue doesn't care. They just want a team of clueless people to slave away, never reward actual hard working employees.

If you are fine with being a sheep and can be okay with never having an opinion or any ideas of your own this may be the place for you. If you have any ambition or want to grow in a career, run. They won't let you do it here and you will only be disappointed on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers better.

many laying off/firing, Micro management, overwork and bad working environment

I have been working at Rue La La

Pros

Good pay and perks, good location to commute

Cons

too much micro management and over work (may be 60 hours a week)

Advice to Management

Treat well to your employees.

Toxic Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Sample Sales
    - Smart People
    - Strong sense of team in some parts of the organization
    - Cool office in a great location

Cons

- Jerks in leadership positions
    - Little reward for hard work
    - Constant message to employees that they're underperforming
    - Ever changing direction
    - Undecisive leadership
    - No accountability
    - A lot of dead weight
    - Layoffs happening
    - Unclear organizational goals
    - No work/life balance
    - Nepotism thrives here
    - Underpayed

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and stick with it for more than 3 months.

Do NOT work here

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Rue La La

Pros

Portfolio work, some great friends, and networking

Cons

Management is beyond horrible and cruel. I have never in my life been treated so terribly by a company both within my position and personally. They are incredibly discriminatory, and will never take you seriously. They want everyone to be a robot, and stay static within their position. You will never be appreciated or respected for a job well done or exceeding expectations. There is a high school vibe there, and people are very cliquey which leads to major favoritism. The hr department is a total joke, and have zero idea what they are doing. The CEO of the company quit a year ago with one day notice, followed by the resignation of the creative director, so...what does that tell you. There is something seriously wrong with this company, so do yourself a favor and stay away. The only thing you will walk away from this company with is some great friends.

Advice to Management

Take some management classes, tone down your egos, respect and value your employees, create a beneficial and successful structure, and stop hiring your best friends because all it has done is create an unpleasant work environment, and the disability of those who work so hard, to get anywhere within the company. Figure it out.

HR is a JOKE!!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have built friendships that will still go on although I'm no longer there.

Cons

HR DOES SELECT CERTAIN ASSOCIATES TO WRITE GOOD REVIEWS FOR THEM. This started the last couple of months I was there. The rating was so bad, HR sent out an email asking a selected group to meet in a conference room. There they asked to write a positive review to bring the numbers up. Hence, all of the positive review you're seeing. This is an example of how calculating and manipulating HR is.

The Creative and HR team are made of high school, cady females. Both teams function off of emotion instead of facts. Very passive aggressive attitude.

When you approach HR with an issue (feeling you are free to speak candidly and within a safe environment), HR does nothing to help the issue. In fact, they do nothing about at all. They are there to simply protect the managers. The HR team is the source of the negative attitude. They talk unprofessionally about their associates. Because it's an open area, you can catch them doing it. Also, when you think something personal would be kept among your rep and yourself, think twice! They WILL share it with your manager. HR has a way of straddling the fence until it's a choice between the manager and associate. They WILL choose to back up the manager even when the manager is wrong.

My advice is to keep you issues to yourself until you can find another job if you're already there. For those seeking employment at Rue, DON'T. The drama is not worth it. There is no room for growth and for those who are lucky enough to get promoted, it is just a title change the company makes up. You're actually not learning anything. They longer you are at Rue, consider your career at a halt. Others within your profession grow at a faster pace than you.

Regarding the Creative team... they are young girls who are clique based. If you don't fit into their high school clique, they will make your life there a living hell. And no one challenges them. NO ONE!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your associate’s needs. Everyone that is in management doesn't always no what they're are doing and should not have the last word. In order to build the company, you must first make the associates feel they can trust you have their best intentions in mind. Right now, you can care less. It's more than a sample sale and employee discount. It's about listening to a problem and actually trying to work to remedy it.

Bad experience

I worked at Rue La La full-time

Pros

Lots of free food - bagel fridays, snack closet, sweets etc.

Cons

Very little pay, people are really cliquy, judgmental and negative. Really toxic environment. Long hours.

Rue La La - The Juice Is Not Worth The Squeeze

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great health insurance (Some of the best that I have had with any job.)
    -Some very intelligent and capable people working here (Several people that understand business and how to operate a successful business are in the shadows just waiting for an opportunity to excel.)
    -Free coffee and a nice breakroom
    -Comfortable chairs and updated office spaces (It is clean, fresh, and does promote positive energy.)

Cons

-Very limited growth opportunity in most areas of the company (Many jobs openings are created through turnover yet the positions are mainly filled externally. There is very little focus on development and growth of internal resources even if they have the potential to progress with the company.)
    -Very poor Senior Management / Leadership (I have never been associated with an organization that has so many VPs, Directors, and a C Level Managers for every aspect of the organization. The greatest issue with Rue La La is that even though some of these people are good managers there is not a Leader among them. The C Level Managers are exactly as titled "Chiefs" who expect the Indians to follow without realizing the Indians have agendas of their own that do not align. Because communication and direction is also poor from the top down, it is often too late once the discombobulation is figured out.)
    -Not honest with employees regarding the business (Senior Management has difficulty answering the tough questions and making leadership decisions that are in the best interest of the business. There is an overall lack of trust from the top down that hampers implementations and moving the business forward. Empowerment is not a virtue that the Senior Management team instills in employees.)
    -High turnover rate at all areas and levels of the business (I would suggest asking the hiring manager / recruiter the turnover rate for the position you are applying for. Read all of the reviews on this site and don't just take my word for it. It is hard to gain any traction when your team is constantly changing.)
    -Inferior / Outdated systems (I will not elaborate due to this info possibly being a "trade secret" but it takes a much larger team than needed to keep everything up and running systematically each day.)
    -Overall lack of company culture (The culture is sold to recruits as exciting yet there is no company focus on culture or making culture an essential part of the job. If you are considering a position with Rue La La ask an employee or the Hiring Manager what are the Rue La La culture initiatives and as an added bonus ask them what is the company's mission statement.)
    -Not willing to spend money on technological improvements (It seems that the company is concerned with the bottom line even if it means falling farther behind our competition at every step from opening the website to shipping the order. We can spend money on hiring more Senior Level Management, bonuses (if you are eligible), and charitable benefits that mostly benefit the publicity of the company.)
    -Company is not customer focused (We are a flash sale site that should cater to our customers, many of which are extremely loyal, however we do not. The bottom line comes first and the customer comes second. If we ultimately fail our lack of customer focus will be the reason. We are not the only game in town and need to realize the customer is who ultimately pays our bills.)
    -Overall lack of communication (This is at all levels of the organization. We have more silos than Kansas in our lines of communication. This is an issue that is between business units and interdepartmental as well. This has been an issue that has plagued the company from day one and no one talks to their counterparts or internal customers creating many inefficiencies and many wasted hours of playing catch up.)
    -Unorganized (When I started with Rue La La, no one was prepared for me to start my position and there was no hint of an on-boarding process past getting the necessary paperwork filled out and my email set up. They knew I was starting but zero organization surrounding the process. Basically it was here is your desk, go introduce yourself to the team, now get to work.)
    -Benefits (The insurance is fantastic however the total benefit package could be improved. You are told before starting that the company has a 401k match. What they fell to tell you is that the match is yearly and not with the pay cycle. Several of the benefits do not benefit the majority of employees.)
    -Lack of recognition for work performed. (There is very little recognition for doing a good job. Overall it is a "What have you done for me today?" mentality.)

Advice to Management

-Develop clear direction and set legitimate goals for the business and communicate that direction to all employees of the company. To often we chase a gnat around the room while an elephant that we never see sits in the corner.
    -Learn to lead your teams. You need to step back and look at the big picture and correct the basics. Communication is terrible and that is not debated by anyone at any level - fix that first as it is the key to forming the teams and bringing unison and vision to the organization. Most important be Leaders and not Dictators - we want to be lead and not commanded.
    -Learn to listen. There are many employees that have great ideas and input that are never heard or given a chance.
    -Learn to trust and empower your teams. We spend too much time waiting on a green light for simple decisions that have to be approved and bought into by too many people. This always brings up inhibiting questions that drag out for too long. This issue goes away with a unified and clear path of direction.
    -Stay consistent. Too often the direction and initiatives are flavor of the month that change without notice or warning and never communicated.
    -Put the customer above the bottom line. We fail the customer too often due to trying to save a buck. They are who will make us successful or put us out of business.
    -Be accountable. We are a fast paced company and not all decisions are going to be good decisions. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.
    -Learn to dissect and evaluate decisions that impact the company. Before making a decision, ask yourself - "Is the juice really worth the squeeze?"

terrifying

Former Employee - Returns Clerk in Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Employee - Returns Clerk in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Rue La La full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can think of no pro's for this company.

Cons

I worked in the Shepherdsville, Ky warehouse. It is at the top of my list for the worst places to work. They do not care about their employees. Benefits are mediocre at best, raises are across the board at .20 cents per year instead of basing it on the work ethics of the individual. Management is callous, and has no open door policy. Overtime is really not overtime since you will work consistently ten to twelve hours a day six days a week. Do not expect to advance because upper management reserves those jobs for their family members, and friends. Starting pay is $9.00 an hour. I worked there three miserable years.

interesting

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Rue La La part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working with customers was the highlight of my time there

Cons

no one works together, everyone is for themself

The writing is on the wall for this place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Nice office space. It's well decorated, lots of white, clean space. The office space itself has a positive energy.
    -Lots of free food, bagel Fridays, snack closet, etc.
    -Summer Fridays

Cons

-Where to start? The first con is the Management in Technology. It is unbelievable to me that the CTO is still in her position giving how far beyond the re-platforming of the site is. There are so many VP and C-level people in Technology that have no idea what is actually going on with projects, yet they make all the decisions without consulting those who do have the information.

-Toxic environment between different factions of technology. Total us vs them mentality between Engineering and Ops. Hard to get anything done if it involves support from both.

-No consistency with project processes. Changing the process every week does not make a company Agile. Teams in technology were never able to truly try something out before they were told to do things differently. For example: Teams that had been estimating work in a certain way for months were suddenly told they had to do it differently. Why?

-HR a this place is is completely useless. There were many issues that were given to HR, only to have nothing done about them. I know that one employee there had many, many complaints against him, but HR did nothing about it.

-If you follow any of Rue's competitors (Gilt, Justfab, ideeli) you will see that they all have tons of new functionality that Rue does not. The competitors are growing by leaps and bounds while Rue remains stagnant.

-The turnover at this place is insane. Nearly all of the Engineers who were there when I started have since left.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced people and then get our of their way and let them do the jobs they were hired for.

RSS Feed </> Embed