Rue La La Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

3.5

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Creative perks (Sample sales, summer Friday hours, Bagel Fridays) (in 12 reviews)

• The company offers a variety of great perks like Sample Sales, employee discounts, Thirsty Thursday events and Bagel Fridays (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone) (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management does not voice MAJOR changes to it's employees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

HR is a JOKE!!

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have built friendships that will still go on although I'm no longer there.

Cons

HR DOES SELECT CERTAIN ASSOCIATES TO WRITE GOOD REVIEWS FOR THEM. This started the last couple of months I was there. The rating was so bad, HR sent out an email asking a selected group to meet in a conference room. There they asked to write a positive review to bring the numbers up. Hence, all of the positive review you're seeing. This is an example of how calculating and manipulating HR is.

The Creative and HR team are made of high school, cady females. Both teams function off of emotion instead of facts. Very passive aggressive attitude.

When you approach HR with an issue (feeling you are free to speak candidly and within a safe environment), HR does nothing to help the issue. In fact, they do nothing about at all. They are there to simply protect the managers. The HR team is the source of the negative attitude. They talk unprofessionally about their associates. Because it's an open area, you can catch them doing it. Also, when you think something personal would be kept among your rep and yourself, think twice! They WILL share it with your manager. HR has a way of straddling the fence until it's a choice between the manager and associate. They WILL choose to back up the manager even when the manager is wrong.

My advice is to keep you issues to yourself until you can find another job if you're already there. For those seeking employment at Rue, DON'T. The drama is not worth it. There is no room for growth and for those who are lucky enough to get promoted, it is just a title change the company makes up. You're actually not learning anything. They longer you are at Rue, consider your career at a halt. Others within your profession grow at a faster pace than you.

Regarding the Creative team... they are young girls who are clique based. If you don't fit into their high school clique, they will make your life there a living hell. And no one challenges them. NO ONE!

Pay attention to your associate’s needs. Everyone that is in management doesn't always no what they're are doing and should not have the last word. In order to build the company, you must first make the associates feel they can trust you have their best intentions in mind. Right now, you can care less. It's more than a sample sale and employee discount. It's about listening to a problem and actually trying to work to remedy it.

Bad experience

I worked at Rue La La full-time

Pros

Lots of free food - bagel fridays, snack closet, sweets etc.

Cons

Very little pay, people are really cliquy, judgmental and negative. Really toxic environment. Long hours.

Rue La La - The Juice Is Not Worth The Squeeze

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great health insurance (Some of the best that I have had with any job.)
    -Some very intelligent and capable people working here (Several people that understand business and how to operate a successful business are in the shadows just waiting for an opportunity to excel.)
    -Free coffee and a nice breakroom
    -Comfortable chairs and updated office spaces (It is clean, fresh, and does promote positive energy.)

Cons

-Very limited growth opportunity in most areas of the company (Many jobs openings are created through turnover yet the positions are mainly filled externally. There is very little focus on development and growth of internal resources even if they have the potential to progress with the company.)
    -Very poor Senior Management / Leadership (I have never been associated with an organization that has so many VPs, Directors, and a C Level Managers for every aspect of the organization. The greatest issue with Rue La La is that even though some of these people are good managers there is not a Leader among them. The C Level Managers are exactly as titled "Chiefs" who expect the Indians to follow without realizing the Indians have agendas of their own that do not align. Because communication and direction is also poor from the top down, it is often too late once the discombobulation is figured out.)
    -Not honest with employees regarding the business (Senior Management has difficulty answering the tough questions and making leadership decisions that are in the best interest of the business. There is an overall lack of trust from the top down that hampers implementations and moving the business forward. Empowerment is not a virtue that the Senior Management team instills in employees.)
    -High turnover rate at all areas and levels of the business (I would suggest asking the hiring manager / recruiter the turnover rate for the position you are applying for. Read all of the reviews on this site and don't just take my word for it. It is hard to gain any traction when your team is constantly changing.)
    -Inferior / Outdated systems (I will not elaborate due to this info possibly being a "trade secret" but it takes a much larger team than needed to keep everything up and running systematically each day.)
    -Overall lack of company culture (The culture is sold to recruits as exciting yet there is no company focus on culture or making culture an essential part of the job. If you are considering a position with Rue La La ask an employee or the Hiring Manager what are the Rue La La culture initiatives and as an added bonus ask them what is the company's mission statement.)
    -Not willing to spend money on technological improvements (It seems that the company is concerned with the bottom line even if it means falling farther behind our competition at every step from opening the website to shipping the order. We can spend money on hiring more Senior Level Management, bonuses (if you are eligible), and charitable benefits that mostly benefit the publicity of the company.)
    -Company is not customer focused (We are a flash sale site that should cater to our customers, many of which are extremely loyal, however we do not. The bottom line comes first and the customer comes second. If we ultimately fail our lack of customer focus will be the reason. We are not the only game in town and need to realize the customer is who ultimately pays our bills.)
    -Overall lack of communication (This is at all levels of the organization. We have more silos than Kansas in our lines of communication. This is an issue that is between business units and interdepartmental as well. This has been an issue that has plagued the company from day one and no one talks to their counterparts or internal customers creating many inefficiencies and many wasted hours of playing catch up.)
    -Unorganized (When I started with Rue La La, no one was prepared for me to start my position and there was no hint of an on-boarding process past getting the necessary paperwork filled out and my email set up. They knew I was starting but zero organization surrounding the process. Basically it was here is your desk, go introduce yourself to the team, now get to work.)
    -Benefits (The insurance is fantastic however the total benefit package could be improved. You are told before starting that the company has a 401k match. What they fell to tell you is that the match is yearly and not with the pay cycle. Several of the benefits do not benefit the majority of employees.)
    -Lack of recognition for work performed. (There is very little recognition for doing a good job. Overall it is a "What have you done for me today?" mentality.)

-Develop clear direction and set legitimate goals for the business and communicate that direction to all employees of the company. To often we chase a gnat around the room while an elephant that we never see sits in the corner.
    -Learn to lead your teams. You need to step back and look at the big picture and correct the basics. Communication is terrible and that is not debated by anyone at any level - fix that first as it is the key to forming the teams and bringing unison and vision to the organization. Most important be Leaders and not Dictators - we want to be lead and not commanded.
    -Learn to listen. There are many employees that have great ideas and input that are never heard or given a chance.
    -Learn to trust and empower your teams. We spend too much time waiting on a green light for simple decisions that have to be approved and bought into by too many people. This always brings up inhibiting questions that drag out for too long. This issue goes away with a unified and clear path of direction.
    -Stay consistent. Too often the direction and initiatives are flavor of the month that change without notice or warning and never communicated.
    -Put the customer above the bottom line. We fail the customer too often due to trying to save a buck. They are who will make us successful or put us out of business.
    -Be accountable. We are a fast paced company and not all decisions are going to be good decisions. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.
    -Learn to dissect and evaluate decisions that impact the company. Before making a decision, ask yourself - "Is the juice really worth the squeeze?"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

terrifying

Former Employee - Returns Clerk  in  Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Employee - Returns Clerk in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can think of no pro's for this company.

Cons

I worked in the Shepherdsville, Ky warehouse. It is at the top of my list for the worst places to work. They do not care about their employees. Benefits are mediocre at best, raises are across the board at .20 cents per year instead of basing it on the work ethics of the individual. Management is callous, and has no open door policy. Overtime is really not overtime since you will work consistently ten to twelve hours a day six days a week. Do not expect to advance because upper management reserves those jobs for their family members, and friends. Starting pay is $9.00 an hour. I worked there three miserable years.

interesting

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Rue La La part-time for less than a year

Pros

working with customers was the highlight of my time there

Cons

no one works together, everyone is for themself

The writing is on the wall for this place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Nice office space. It's well decorated, lots of white, clean space. The office space itself has a positive energy.
    -Lots of free food, bagel Fridays, snack closet, etc.
    -Summer Fridays

Cons

-Where to start? The first con is the Management in Technology. It is unbelievable to me that the CTO is still in her position giving how far beyond the re-platforming of the site is. There are so many VP and C-level people in Technology that have no idea what is actually going on with projects, yet they make all the decisions without consulting those who do have the information.

-Toxic environment between different factions of technology. Total us vs them mentality between Engineering and Ops. Hard to get anything done if it involves support from both.

-No consistency with project processes. Changing the process every week does not make a company Agile. Teams in technology were never able to truly try something out before they were told to do things differently. For example: Teams that had been estimating work in a certain way for months were suddenly told they had to do it differently. Why?

-HR a this place is is completely useless. There were many issues that were given to HR, only to have nothing done about them. I know that one employee there had many, many complaints against him, but HR did nothing about it.

-If you follow any of Rue's competitors (Gilt, Justfab, ideeli) you will see that they all have tons of new functionality that Rue does not. The competitors are growing by leaps and bounds while Rue remains stagnant.

-The turnover at this place is insane. Nearly all of the Engineers who were there when I started have since left.

Hire experienced people and then get our of their way and let them do the jobs they were hired for.

Tech - Don't go near this place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La

Pros

* Hip office space
    * Great fellow engineers (many of which have left)
    * Free snacks, drinks, coffee

Cons

* Horrible mid-upper level management.
    * No one willing to step up and lead but many willing to sling blame at one another.
    * No organization or insight into how to carry out large scale projects.
    * Misleading - Tech dept sold like a startup when it is anything but. Very slow. Very stagnant. Many false starts.
    * There is so much potential to do great things at this place and bring it up to speed with major competitors but silly things like politics and incapable management always seem to get in the way.

Let people do the jobs that you hired them for and work to create the environment that you promise to people during recruitment.

Don't even think about it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of young, fun people. Monthly sample sales. Decent location in South Boston (although it could use more close food options). Bagel Fridays.

Cons

Impossible to get anything done. Culture of failure. Micromanagement, no true delegation or empowerment. Too many cliques and silos with us versus them mentalities.

Way too much work, nothing taken off your plate when new stuff added. Inability to prioritize, upper management wants it all and doesn't care or want to hear that sometimes it isn't possible.

Values aren't just words on a wall, they need to be lived every day. If you're not happy with the way the company operates, look within, everyone takes their cues from senior management.

The CEO needs to think about whether he's getting the results he wants from his C-level executives and clean out the ones who are not helping the company.

Stop hiring executives that commute from another city, it doesn't work.

Can't overcome the talent loss

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

Still some good hardworking folks

Cons

Senior management doesn't get it. They drove out the best talent and it is now a shell of what it used to be.

Value the key contributors don't let them go! find out why they are all leaving.

Look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

People on my team were great and many of the individual contributors were great to work with.

Cons

Management is horrible. When I first started it was amazing and then they brought a new CIO in. She ruined the tech side of the company.

The CEO needs to clean house with the senior management if they hope to retain any of the top talent. Most of the top talent has already left, so it may be too little too late.

Worked for Rue La La? Contribute to the Community!