Rue La La

Updated November 29, 2014
Updated November 29, 2014
3.6

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales (in 14 reviews)

• great office space and snack closet (not healthy snacks) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone) (in 12 reviews)

• No one willing to step up and lead but many willing to sling blame at one another (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Somewhat Toxic Environment

Former Employee - Junior Designer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Junior Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked here as a contract junior designer, and I produced pieces I'm very proud of. The aesthetic is gorgeous and the creative management only makes it better. It's competitive but if you can handle it, they will make you a better creative. My advice is, if you get an opportunity to contract here, you should. Just prepare yourself for the environment.

Cons

People are nice enough on the surface, but the social environment is very difficult to break through. There was one designer in particular who was caustic and reminded me daily that I was only a contractor, and tried to keep me off of good projects. I've interned and contracted at several businesses and have never felt so unwelcome. It was still worth the experience because of the work I was able to do, but after my contract was up I was desperate to get away.

Look out for your freelancers and how their being treated, otherwise the management was great!

Good resume booster. Hard to move up though.

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La as a contractor

Pros

Sample sales, decent work life balance, snack closet. You learn a lot in terms of managing multiple tasks, troubleshooting, etc. It's also one of those "cool" companies so the name will get you far sometimes.

Cons

The materials management team is extremely cliquey. Some nice people, but unless you are coming in with other new workers, it's hard to find your place. As a contractor, you can feel extremely disposable. Unless you lucked out and snagged a role doing full-time work (as in one of the full-time workers got promoted or is leaving), you're pretty screwed when it comes time to get rid of all the extra people after the craziness of the busy season is over. Very sink or swim mentality... not that much support.

Take better care of the contractors doing full-time work. It's hard to do full-time work with a contractor title. I mean, we already don't get any benefits, might as well give us the things we need to do our job.

Excellent experience

I worked at Rue La La full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

strong team - great benefits

Cons

None really strong well run small company

Bizarre experience

Former Employee - Assistant Event Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Event Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

i can imagine that this would be a fun place to work right out of college. Most employees are young girls in their early twenties.

Cons

I have to preface this review. I was hired as a contractor and I realize that there is different treatment for these types of employees. I have been a working professional for 12 years and have a pretty thick skin when it comes to awkward work situations. I do not expect "hand-holding" while working nor do I like that approach but this experience left a terrible taste in my mouth. I started a few days later than HR had originally set up due to a family emergency. On my first day, I waited in reception for 2 hours until someone came to retrieve me. This was the first of many times something like this happened. I understand how the day can get away from you and you may forget about a detail such as someone starting... but 2 hours?From there, I bounced around to at least 5 different people's desks where they began to train me. The training was fragmented so much that it was difficult to follow, remember and understand. There was no training manual. After the first day, I realized there was no set person to ask questions when they arose. This was extremely frustrating for me since I was given a list of things to do. I had no login information set up, and was using other people's passwords to sign into the 3 different platforms used to do my work the entire time I worked for this company.

I was seated next to 3 other girls, who, throughout my first week, were moved to different areas of the office, leaving me to sit by myself 100 yards away from anyone who had originally trained me. It was extremely isolating and odd. So odd, that random people would walk by and say "wow! They have you all by yourself over here!" I did not have a phone, so anytime there was a question, I had to physically go somewhere or send an email ( which are notoriously never answered in this company). No one said hello, checked in with me on a daily basis, etc. It was clear I was being set up to fail. It felt like I was in some social experiment to see how long it would take someone to quit.

I look back and realize Rue La La wasn't a good fit for me. It is very young (the majority of people being 23 years old and younger), cliquey, and very competitive. There were perhaps 2 people there that were genuinely nice to me. No one made an attempt to get to know me, train me or treat me like a team member. I felt like a nuisance from the beginning.

I realize everyone in this company is very busy but assigning 2 different people to train a new person would streamline the process for everyone, including management.

Rue La La Response

Oct 20, 2014Recruiting Director

Thank you for your response, we apologize for the less than stellar experience. Some of the points that you raised are being addressed by the Talent team. We are in the midst of developing programs ... More

Great people-- good place to for a first job / short term role

I worked at Rue La La

Pros

Great people, "cool " office culture and some fun perks. Company name Looks good on a resume and will help you land that "next" ( better!!!) job!

Cons

No growth opportunity ! Back office management is "stuck". A group of "friends" that like to hear each other talk and are not open to new managers , promoting real talent or any new ideas. It's too bad because the company could be great if they could clear out the "cobwebs". DONT GET ME STARTED on what a JOKE the HR TEAM is!!! From their so called " Chief People Person!!!) Lol !!! To the most useless , unorganized team I have worked with in my 25 year career!!!

Get rid of the old school click in back office !!! Stop hiring friend and when good talent comes thru the door -- try listening to them and maybe they will stick around --- get out of your own way and enough with the endless
    "Meetings" about "meetings" where you pat each other on back but nothing leaves the glass walk conference rooms and / or ever gets done!!!!

Great Summer Internship Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Rue La La's internship program is absolutely the best. Over the summer, I had the opportunity to own many projects and was able to see how my work directly impacted the business.

What sets Rue's internship program apart, I believe, is the fact that I was given so much responsibility. Team members valued my opinion like I was a regular employee; I never felt like I was treated any lesser because I was an intern here.

My favorite part about Rue La La is the the people that I got to meet. At Rue, people are welcoming and collaborative. There is a lot of cross-departmental work and everyone seems to know each other's name.

I would recommend the internship program to anyone looking for a challenging, rewarding internship opportunity in Boston.

Cons

I did not observe anything at Rue La La that I would consider as a con. The culture fosters learning and development better than any other program that I have heard of.

Keep up the great work!

Do NOT work here

I worked at Rue La La

Pros

Portfolio work, some great friends, and networking

Cons

Management is beyond horrible and cruel. I have never in my life been treated so terribly by a company both within my position and personally. They are incredibly discriminatory, and will never take you seriously. They want everyone to be a robot, and stay static within their position. You will never be appreciated or respected for a job well done or exceeding expectations. There is a high school vibe there, and people are very cliquey which leads to major favoritism. The hr department is a total joke, and have zero idea what they are doing. The CEO of the company quit a year ago with one day notice, followed by the resignation of the creative director, so...what does that tell you. There is something seriously wrong with this company, so do yourself a favor and stay away. The only thing you will walk away from this company with is some great friends.

Take some management classes, tone down your egos, respect and value your employees, create a beneficial and successful structure, and stop hiring your best friends because all it has done is create an unpleasant work environment, and the disability of those who work so hard, to get anywhere within the company. Figure it out.

great stepping stone due to the name of company

I have been working at Rue La La

Pros

great office space and snack closet (not healthy snacks)

Cons

not inclusive for temps/contractors
    not willing to pass on knowledge. I had to pry it out of my team

Growing, successful company that is dedicated to improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are kind, creative, smart, and have character. Summer Fridays are great. There is a energetic buzz in the office. The employees are dedicated to achieving the goals of the organization and company. They invest in continued learning and education for employees.

Cons

Be more modern and competitive with perks, benefits, and office/tech equipment.

Empower people. Provide more access to opportunity. Increase accountability and infuse passion back into the company. This will help employees satisfied and working hard.

Cool Business. Cool People. Cool Company. (Contracted Personnel)

Current Employee - Contract Office Administrator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Contract Office Administrator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone, including the exec team, are very nice and welcoming. I am only one a 3.5 month contract and I have heard from others that contracted people can sometimes become full-time. Its a young company and its really cool to see it grow and feel like I am part of something bigger. Also people are very helpful and are very willing to answer questions.
    There are a lot of people that are contracted that I have met, and/or, heard about.

Additional pros of being contract/ working at Rue:
    Really get to test out the company and makes you want to work extra hard
    Get to participate in sample sales
    Bagel Fridays
    If you are contract in a position you aren't crazy about, it is easy to ask about other departments
    Telling people I work at Rue

Cons

It may be due to my position, but I don,t really have any cons. The pay is decent, there is no discount for contract, and, once again this could be due to my position, it is difficult to get more work and tasks..