Rue La La

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Creative perks (Sample sales, summer Friday hours, Bagel Fridays) (in 12 reviews)

• The company offers a variety of great perks like Sample Sales, employee discounts, Thirsty Thursday events and Bagel Fridays (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone) (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management does not voice MAJOR changes to it's employees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Fresh out of college and couldn't be happier!

Event Coordinator (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI interned at Rue La La the summer going into my senior year of college. I absolutely fell in love with the company for its culture, energy, and purpose. I was surrounded by brilliant people with passion and I wanted nothing more to be a part of it. Once my internship had ended, I knew Rue was the place for me and as soon as I graduated I jumped onto an opportunity within the event production department. I work with such talented people who are willing to help constantly; for a graduate, what more could you ask for?

ConsVery fast paced...everyone has their good days and bad days. The ability of adapting to change certainly keeps you on your toes!

Fast-paced, innovative, and fun!

ProsAt Rue La La, I work with some of the brightest, most innovative people I have ever met. There are some great things happening at Rue, and it is exciting to be part of such a wonderful team. It is clear that the company truly cares about the employees and wants them to succeed.

ConsThe pace can be fast, but the great culture at Rue La La makes up for the fact that you may sometimes feel overwhelmed.

Great company and industry with passionate associates!

Recruiting (Current Employee)

ProsRue is a growing company with many opportunities. There are so many ways to get involved in learning the business. Other associates are always willing to teach and share their insights. Rue is a place where you can see how your everyday contributions and work fit into the big picture and help Rue succeed. I've been in two roles during my time at Rue and have always felt supported in growing my career.

One of my favorite parts of working at Rue is the people. Associates at Rue deeply care about their roles and the company. You can feel the passion and excitement in the office. I have made lasting relationships with many of my co-workers.

ConsThe company is very fast paced. My managers have always promoted work/life balance and supported busy times with additional resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to ask and implement ideas and suggestions from across the business and levels. Innovation and watching new concepts grow into reality are what make Rue La La such an exciting place to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting time of growth at Rue.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Still a young company with tons of possibility ahead for the business. Opportunity to grow with the company and create your own path.
    - Great perks (benefits, volunteer opportunities, snacks, sample sales, etc.)
    - High energy, fast paced environment
    - Freedom to try a new approach and innovate in your role

Cons- Fast pace can be energizing, but sometimes draining

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower teams with the tools they need, and then hold them accountable.

Busy, at times frenetic pace, but the best, most innovative people I've ever worked with.

ProsRue is doing some of the best work in this space, which is evolving every day. The people and their ideas of how to make things even better are so great. People at all levels are very approachable, including the CEO. There is no shortage of opportunity here. It's an exciting and challenging place to work. There is always a new project or a new program - we are only 5 years old, so the sky's the limit.

ConsSometimes the frenetic pace causes Rue to make hasty decisions, or change direction often. It can be hard and frustrating to keep up with that. People work hard, and there could be more efficient ways of doing things, teams need to take a step back and think differently sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to leverage leaders at the next levels; lots of valuable ideas waiting to happen.

Great experience

Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFun environment, everyone is very friendly and easy to work with. I had a very enjoyable experience as an intern.

ConsA lot of times, I felt that the process to get things accomplished was very slow. It took a lot of time to get things through each team in order for your task to be completed.

Growing, successful company that is dedicated to improvement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPeople are kind, creative, smart, and have character. Summer Fridays are great. There is a energetic buzz in the office. The employees are dedicated to achieving the goals of the organization and company. They invest in continued learning and education for employees.

ConsBe more modern and competitive with perks, benefits, and office/tech equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower people. Provide more access to opportunity. Increase accountability and infuse passion back into the company. This will help employees satisfied and working hard.

Slow at first but a really great place to work everyday

ProsBig hairy problems to solve
    Supportive managers
    Smart people
    Supportive colleagues
    Great benefits
    Awesome location

ConsSome lingering attachment to the old old ways
    Stagnant brand vision

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to each other
    Communicate with other members of the business

Cool, upbeat job environment

ProsGreat perks, great environment, great people, very exciting!

ConsDefinitive lack of internal communication & lots of unnecessary systems

Fresh, Fast-Paced, Fun

Editor (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsEveryone I've met at Rue in the 8 months I've been here is energetic, passionate, creative, and talented. It's a highly collaborative environment with lots of spirit, and associates and executives take great pride in the product. I came to Rue from a very (very) small, privately owned company that didn't put an ounce of effort into its employees' wellbeing, so coming to Rue has been a great change. There are frequently "surprise & delights", a.k.a. treats for associates (every little thing counts!); a structured review/career management program that enables associates to move up and be recognized for their good work; and ample tools in place that allow associates to gain an in-depth knowledge of what other departments here do, allowing everyone to have a clear understanding of the company as a whole. Benefits are pretty good, and lots of nice perks are offered. Rue feels like a big family, as executives seem to make a point of keeping associates in the loop about changes, new initiatives, how the company is doing, etc.

ConsThings tend to change frequently (realignments; staffing changes at higher levels; creative direction), which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a matter of preference in terms of the environment you like. Hours and workload during the holidays can be brutal (though temp help is brought in to help offset it), and vacation during that time of year is heavily restricted. The pace can be very, very fast, so it can be tough to juggle projects and deadlines while taking on new ones at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a creative director and fill in some other key roles that are currently vacant. Some teams feel like they've been left hanging in the balance and like they don't have solid direction/management.

Worked for Rue La La? Contribute to the Community!