Rue La La

Updated November 29, 2014
Updated November 29, 2014
3.6

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales (in 14 reviews)

• great office space and snack closet (not healthy snacks) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone) (in 12 reviews)

• No one willing to step up and lead but many willing to sling blame at one another (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Can't overcome the talent loss

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Still some good hardworking folks

Cons

Senior management doesn't get it. They drove out the best talent and it is now a shell of what it used to be.

Value the key contributors don't let them go! find out why they are all leaving.

Look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People on my team were great and many of the individual contributors were great to work with.

Cons

Management is horrible. When I first started it was amazing and then they brought a new CIO in. She ruined the tech side of the company.

The CEO needs to clean house with the senior management if they hope to retain any of the top talent. Most of the top talent has already left, so it may be too little too late.

Stalls your career , too many issues, very dissatisfying workplace

Current Employee - Event Production in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Event Production in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Departure of old CEO helped relieve the company from some of the old Draconian culture
    filled with intimidation, flip-flopping, favoritism, angry outbursts by the former CEO and an altogether bi-polar atmosphere .The only good thing is that your people are talented, bright individuals who know how to do great work – they deserve more care than you give them.

Cons

1) The company has a set of values (collaborative, kind, decisive, tenacious, innovative) but the management team does not exhibit one these values individually or collectively so what’s the point?

2) Barely any cultural/racial diversity.

3) Gossip-Centric Community: The HR department is the worst example of gossip-promoting within the company and has caused most employees to lose respect and trust in the department as a whole – there is no one that doesn’t censor in front of any member of HR even in the case of employee complaints. In particular, the Chief People Officer tolerates and actively engages in gossip about former and current employees.

4) Salary Differential: Too many employees at the same title have salary differences of 15k+. Does management not know that employees speak to one another and find this out? Especially on the 2nd floor. Value us enough to even the playing field a bit more.

5) Favoritism: It’s been a little better since Davis stepped in but overall, there is heavy favoritism of a select few “high potential employees” and heavy disregard for anyone else.

6) Questionable confidentiality: There are confidential documents left on printers across the company – even separation agreements have been forgotten at printers - no wonder Boston recruiters have started warning people to avoid this place.

7) Employee Surveys: The fundamental problem is that no one trusts they are anonymous because no one trusts management or HR . A third-party consultant company should take these surveys thru careful administration.

STOP GOSSIPING: Many teams do it, even executive management does it but for the HR team to engage in gossip and character assessments in their open-aired 3rd floor cubicles or at the copiers is the least “kind and collaborative” thing they can do – they should cut it out and try to engage in respectful classy discussions instead of reputation assassinations of their colleagues – otherwise why work in HR? Aren’t you supposed to help your colleagues succeed?

VALUE YOUR PEOPLE: If you care about why you are losing so many top-performers, perhaps you should talk 1:1 to your associate-level employees who make up the collective of your company and ask us what concerns we have directly, what our fears are at work, what motivates us. The new CEO and CFO should spend time actually getting to know people’s names on their teams instead of managing from the top-down. Here’s a tip “manage collaboratively” like our values state.

KEY TAKEAWAY: you have so much potential as a company. Worry less about making q4 targets and more about sustaining the great talent you have between your walls. Challenge yourselves to be a great company to work for, not just a company to purchase things from. Strive to be the best e-commerce company to work for, I have faith that Davis can turn this ship around.

So much potential but leadership makes it fall flat

I worked at Rue La La full-time

Pros

The 'workers' were great people that were willing to bust their butt.
    Nice office space

Cons

too much changing direction and flip flopping.
    the head of my department was/is a complete liability to the company and one of the most unprofessional and meanest person have ever known.

get rid of your CPO

My Mom said if you don't have anything nice to say....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Boston based company, creative working environment

Cons

No growth, balance is rare, no development roadmap

Clean house Ben and ask people why they leave!!!!

Dissapointing, Toxic Culture

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Office in Fort Point (growing "Innovation District")
    - Associate Sample Sales (when you're not getting shoved out of the way)
    - Working for a recognized brand
    - Some fun people to work side-by-side with (with a "we're all in this together" attitude)

Cons

- Technology, technology, technology! We keep hearing "we know and we're working on it), but have never been provided a timeline, a plan, or have seen any results. When tools are "enhanced", project managers don't include appropriate teams and tools end up not working appropriately.
    - Senior leadership, they're pompous and don't seem to care about their team, just being spiteful to the other leaders they don't like.
    - Negative culture, low morale
    - No support, from leadership, IT, across departments
    - No communication

Focus a little more on technology, infrastructure and communication. What could be an exciting environment is plagued by broken systems, angry associates and pompous leadership. Stop hiring a new VP or president when you want something fixed. This is a business, not magic-land. Giving yet another person $250K won't fix your company, most would argue it makes it worse. Communicate with your teams and create a collaborative culture with tools that we need.

There's SO much potential with this brand, but without some serious changes, our successes won't last too much longer as we won't be able to stay competitive and will ultimately "lose the flash sale race."

Meh

I have been working at Rue La La

Pros

It's in Boston and the name carries weight

Cons

No structure, tons of girls who don't really know which end is up

lack of senior leadership; very lacking in abilities

Former Employee - Warehouse Management in Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Employee - Warehouse Management in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Rue La La full-time (less than an year)

Pros

warehouse staff work hard and were generally nice

Cons

little pay for the ones who do the most work

change the management staff at the distribution level

Flawed Fashion

I worked at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great, and the culture very energizing. As a business, there is probably great potential but lots to fix in order to achieve it. Location and office, very fun.

Cons

Inability to recognize and support changes that are needed across the board. Completely reactionary culture vs. thinking strategically and proactively. As is often the case, senior management seems to be out of touch with the daily grind and needs of associates. There is a lack of process and real need for more innovative ideas and implementation.

Office is the only good thing about this place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time

Pros

Cool office and decent salaries

Cons

Disorganized at every level, very poor culture and wrong attitude, way too much turnover both voluntary and forced (even on the high management level), it went downhill after couple of acquisitions, don't believe the business model can survive, no 401K match, very low bonuses