Rue La La Reviews

Studio Assistants/Stylists/Photo Assistants are bottom of the barrel

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Rue La La as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Hands-on experience in the studio lets you work with designer set samples/clothing (useful for someone who wants to learn or knows how to hem, steam cloths, style props, paint, etc). Get to know production/studio environment. Access to Rue sample sales...welcoming HQ and public company spaces.

Cons

The studio assisting contract gigs are in a nutshell, for someone used to this kind of freelance on-call work; dependent on the volume of work and can be as time-consuming as carrying heavy loads and painting or as quick as steaming a rack. On a normal day, slow. Don't expect a manager there to get new tasks lined up for you.

Advice to Management

It would boost morale and make contract studio assistants feel more useful and excited about work if they were given better direct management. Productivity and enthusiasm is reciprocated. Just from the perspective of a contractor.

Fast-paced company with ample opportunity for learning & growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Having worked at companies in a variety of industries, I can confidently say that Rue La La values and cares about its employees at a far higher level than anywhere else I have worked. It is challenging to maintain such a engaging, high-touch culture during periods of growth, but Rue is rising to that challenge. Working here, I feel you get get benefits of working at an established company, while still being lean & small enough to make changes that matter, even if you are in a junior-level role.

Cons

Rue is positioned in a uniquely fast-paced, ever-changing industry, which requires a high level of openness to change. If you are able to adapt to shifts in the way things operate along with some growing pans, you'll be able to succeed while learning more in the process. If you raise your hand when you see something you'd like to change, you can make an impact.

Advice to Management

Continue to put your people first, and to remember that communication can make a world of difference in times of change.

Great Company, Somewhat Toxic Environment

Former Contractor - Junior Designer in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Junior Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I worked here as a contract junior designer, and I produced pieces I'm very proud of. The aesthetic is gorgeous and the creative management only makes it better. It's competitive but if you can handle it, they will make you a better creative. My advice is, if you get an opportunity to contract here, you should. Just prepare yourself for the environment.

Cons

People are nice enough on the surface, but the social environment is very difficult to break through. There was one designer in particular who was caustic and reminded me daily that I was only a contractor, and tried to keep me off of good projects. I've interned and contracted at several businesses and have never felt so unwelcome. It was still worth the experience because of the work I was able to do, but after my contract was up I was desperate to get away.

Advice to Management

Look out for your freelancers and how their being treated, otherwise the management was great!

Excellent experience

I worked at Rue La La full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

strong team - great benefits

Cons

None really strong well run small company

6. Good resume booster. Hard to move up though.

Current Contractor - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La as a contractor

Pros

Sample sales, decent work life balance, snack closet. You learn a lot in terms of managing multiple tasks, troubleshooting, etc. It's also one of those "cool" companies so the name will get you far sometimes.

Cons

The materials management team is extremely cliquey. Some nice people, but unless you are coming in with other new workers, it's hard to find your place. As a contractor, you can feel extremely disposable. Unless you lucked out and snagged a role doing full-time work (as in one of the full-time workers got promoted or is leaving), you're pretty screwed when it comes time to get rid of all the extra people after the craziness of the busy season is over. Very sink or swim mentality... not that much support.

Advice to Management

Take better care of the contractors doing full-time work. It's hard to do full-time work with a contractor title. I mean, we already don't get any benefits, might as well give us the things we need to do our job.

Bizarre experience

Former Contractor - Assistant Event Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Assistant Event Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

i can imagine that this would be a fun place to work right out of college. Most employees are young girls in their early twenties.

Cons

I have to preface this review. I was hired as a contractor and I realize that there is different treatment for these types of employees. I have been a working professional for 12 years and have a pretty thick skin when it comes to awkward work situations. I do not expect "hand-holding" while working nor do I like that approach but this experience left a terrible taste in my mouth. I started a few days later than HR had originally set up due to a family emergency. On my first day, I waited in reception for 2 hours until someone came to retrieve me. This was the first of many times something like this happened. I understand how the day can get away from you and you may forget about a detail such as someone starting... but 2 hours?From there, I bounced around to at least 5 different people's desks where they began to train me. The training was fragmented so much that it was difficult to follow, remember and understand. There was no training manual. After the first day, I realized there was no set person to ask questions when they arose. This was extremely frustrating for me since I was given a list of things to do. I had no login information set up, and was using other people's passwords to sign into the 3 different platforms used to do my work the entire time I worked for this company.

I was seated next to 3 other girls, who, throughout my first week, were moved to different areas of the office, leaving me to sit by myself 100 yards away from anyone who had originally trained me. It was extremely isolating and odd. So odd, that random people would walk by and say "wow! They have you all by yourself over here!" I did not have a phone, so anytime there was a question, I had to physically go somewhere or send an email ( which are notoriously never answered in this company). No one said hello, checked in with me on a daily basis, etc. It was clear I was being set up to fail. It felt like I was in some social experiment to see how long it would take someone to quit.

I look back and realize Rue La La wasn't a good fit for me. It is very young (the majority of people being 23 years old and younger), cliquey, and very competitive. There were perhaps 2 people there that were genuinely nice to me. No one made an attempt to get to know me, train me or treat me like a team member. I felt like a nuisance from the beginning.

Advice to Management

I realize everyone in this company is very busy but assigning 2 different people to train a new person would streamline the process for everyone, including management.

Rue La La Response

Oct 20, 2014Recruiting Director

Thank you for your response, we apologize for the less than stellar experience. Some of the points that you raised are being addressed by the Talent team. We are in the midst of developing programs ... More

Great Summer Internship Experience

Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Rue La La's internship program is absolutely the best. Over the summer, I had the opportunity to own many projects and was able to see how my work directly impacted the business.

What sets Rue's internship program apart, I believe, is the fact that I was given so much responsibility. Team members valued my opinion like I was a regular employee; I never felt like I was treated any lesser because I was an intern here.

My favorite part about Rue La La is the the people that I got to meet. At Rue, people are welcoming and collaborative. There is a lot of cross-departmental work and everyone seems to know each other's name.

I would recommend the internship program to anyone looking for a challenging, rewarding internship opportunity in Boston.

Cons

I did not observe anything at Rue La La that I would consider as a con. The culture fosters learning and development better than any other program that I have heard of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Great people-- good place to for a first job / short term role

I worked at Rue La La

Pros

Great people, "cool " office culture and some fun perks. Company name Looks good on a resume and will help you land that "next" ( better!!!) job!

Cons

No growth opportunity ! Back office management is "stuck". A group of "friends" that like to hear each other talk and are not open to new managers , promoting real talent or any new ideas. It's too bad because the company could be great if they could clear out the "cobwebs". DONT GET ME STARTED on what a JOKE the HR TEAM is!!! From their so called " Chief People Person!!!) Lol !!! To the most useless , unorganized team I have worked with in my 25 year career!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old school click in back office !!! Stop hiring friend and when good talent comes thru the door -- try listening to them and maybe they will stick around --- get out of your own way and enough with the endless
    "Meetings" about "meetings" where you pat each other on back but nothing leaves the glass walk conference rooms and / or ever gets done!!!!

great stepping stone due to the name of company

I have been working at Rue La La

Pros

great office space and snack closet (not healthy snacks)

Cons

not inclusive for temps/contractors
    not willing to pass on knowledge. I had to pry it out of my team

Do NOT work here

I worked at Rue La La

Pros

Portfolio work, some great friends, and networking

Cons

Management is beyond horrible and cruel. I have never in my life been treated so terribly by a company both within my position and personally. They are incredibly discriminatory, and will never take you seriously. They want everyone to be a robot, and stay static within their position. You will never be appreciated or respected for a job well done or exceeding expectations. There is a high school vibe there, and people are very cliquey which leads to major favoritism. The hr department is a total joke, and have zero idea what they are doing. The CEO of the company quit a year ago with one day notice, followed by the resignation of the creative director, so...what does that tell you. There is something seriously wrong with this company, so do yourself a favor and stay away. The only thing you will walk away from this company with is some great friends.

Advice to Management

Take some management classes, tone down your egos, respect and value your employees, create a beneficial and successful structure, and stop hiring your best friends because all it has done is create an unpleasant work environment, and the disability of those who work so hard, to get anywhere within the company. Figure it out.