Rue La La Reviews

Updated September 27, 2014
Updated September 27, 2014
3.5

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales (in 13 reviews)

• great office space and snack closet (not healthy snacks) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone) (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management does not voice MAJOR changes to it's employees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company if you want to be in Fashion in Boston

Former Employee - Event Coordinator  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to begin your e-commerce adventure with. I learned so much while there as far as administrative skills and how e-commerce works. Everyone is very nice, pretty hard to move up because it is competitive and there are only so many spaces open to advance. Free snacks and bagel friday were always amazing as well! Very laid back for the fashion world, if you want something not cut throat but fashion oriented - this is the company for you.

Cons

Not fantastically competitive salary, IF you do get a raise it wont be a very good one. Not easy to move up quickly, you have to put in lots of time.

Looked soooo promising but overall very disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales. Great stuff at unreal prices. But after a while.. just how much stuff do you need? And really... great people are everywhere.
    Rue does offer excellent benefits.

Cons

The Sr Leadership team does not trust the people they have hired to get work done. They tell you great things before you get there and then once you arrive it all changes.
    Also they made very little investment in their employees. Little to no budget for training and so little opportunity for growth.

Listen to your team and stop telling people how to do their jobs.Trust your teammates. Get out of the way and let others lead. You will be amazed at what they are willing to deliver for you!

Rue is a great place with lots of interesting problems to solve

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot that is great here:
    --a fun environment (people eat together in the cafeteria, happy hours on Thursday)
    --good work-life balance (people work reasonable hours)
    --great leadership at the C-level
    --interesting problems to solve technically and within the business
    --strong revenue growth

Cons

A lot has changed at Rue in the last couple of years. There was a lot of turnover but it has mostly brought new energy to the company. But it is still a complicated org structure.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Creative and energetic work place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management and senior leadership team really cares about the talent and growth. The environment promotes great teamwork and problem solving. Creative team is fun and energetic. Lots of mobility if you’re willing to raise your hand and partner with your manager.

Cons

Communication can sometimes be a challenge given the nature of the business and the various departments involved. Miscommunications could at times lead to redundancy and confusion on projects.

Fresh, Fast-Paced, Fun

Current Employee - Editor  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone I've met at Rue in the 8 months I've been here is energetic, passionate, creative, and talented. It's a highly collaborative environment with lots of spirit, and associates and executives take great pride in the product. I came to Rue from a very (very) small, privately owned company that didn't put an ounce of effort into its employees' wellbeing, so coming to Rue has been a great change. There are frequently "surprise & delights", a.k.a. treats for associates (every little thing counts!); a structured review/career management program that enables associates to move up and be recognized for their good work; and ample tools in place that allow associates to gain an in-depth knowledge of what other departments here do, allowing everyone to have a clear understanding of the company as a whole. Benefits are pretty good, and lots of nice perks are offered. Rue feels like a big family, as executives seem to make a point of keeping associates in the loop about changes, new initiatives, how the company is doing, etc.

Cons

Things tend to change frequently (realignments; staffing changes at higher levels; creative direction), which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a matter of preference in terms of the environment you like. Hours and workload during the holidays can be brutal (though temp help is brought in to help offset it), and vacation during that time of year is heavily restricted. The pace can be very, very fast, so it can be tough to juggle projects and deadlines while taking on new ones at the same time.

Hire a creative director and fill in some other key roles that are currently vacant. Some teams feel like they've been left hanging in the balance and like they don't have solid direction/management.

Ever changing

Former Employee - Returns Clerk  in  Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Employee - Returns Clerk in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Rue La La full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a good break room

Cons

They had a good returns-department

Very fast paced environment, not for wimps!

Current Employee - Technology Based  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technology Based in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been at Rue for two years. As the title says, this is a very fast paced environment and you will not succeed if you are not a self starter. It can sometimes be difficult to get help for a problem, their has been a corporate culture of not answering email although I think this is turning around. There have been some reorganizations and in some aspects that has also helped. There has been a terrible attrition problem, quite a few folks were burned out. Upper management has stated publicly that they have seen the problem and want to help solve it. The office environment is very vibrant and the location in Downtown (Fort Point) was a plus for me. For some it makes for a terrible commute. The management really does try to do things to make the employee's feel that they are recognized. I would say that Rue does this better than any company i have worked for.

Cons

As stated above it can be tough to get traction in the beginning. The corporate culture of not answering email does not help. If you really need an answer sometimes you are forced to have to go and interrupt someone which leads to a very interrupt prone environment. The environment can be very loud. Actually, it can be very, very loud. They need more smaller meeting rooms so that impromptu meetings don't have to take place talking over three cubicles. There is also a 'meeting culture' at the company. Things which could be hashed out in a few email exchanges are usually hashed out in meetings instead.

Pay attention to the quarterly surveys. Also, there should be a formal 'skip level' one on one meeting process in place.

Challenging and fast paced work enviornment

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers,benefits, work differs day to day.

Cons

Cheap, sneaky, and not forthcoming with employees.

Be upfront and honest.

Greeat opportunity to Earn and learn

Current Employee - Assistant Menswear Buyer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Menswear Buyer in New York, NY

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for less than a year

Pros

small-ish corporate company offered plenty of opportunities to keep busy with work and get hands on. I loved all the booklets to help you get acquainted with youor new position and company, as well as all the current information available, including current linesheets, trending magazines.
    Amazing employee value with travel opportunities, company gifts (towels, mugs, water bottles)

Cons

I loved work for Rue!

Innovative, Fast Paced, Fashion Forward Company

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's difficult to find a job that you love coming to everyday but that is what I found at Rue La La. The office is environment is innovative and collaborative with the feeling that everyone is working towards the same goal, which is to see the company succeed. Great coworkers and a supportive environment for taking risks and trying new things. The office itself is in a great location. Work schedule is flexible (i.e. ability to work from home, free to manage your own time as long as the work is getting done) which allows for a work-life balance. The company offers a variety of great perks like Sample Sales, employee discounts, Thirsty Thursday events and Bagel Fridays. Frequently the company gives back to employees by offering special events (Pretzel Sunday Bars, free lunches). Company offers training and development programs throughout the year. Aside from the perks, the best part of my job is feeling like I am making a difference with the work I am doing and knowing that I have a future with the company.

Cons

Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone). The company is always changing so there is definitely a need to keep an open mind and remain flexible. The fourth quarter is always an intense time of year, so extra hours are usually the norm.

Worked for Rue La La? Contribute to the Community!