Rue La La Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
3.5

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Creative perks (Sample sales, summer Friday hours, Bagel Fridays) (in 12 reviews)

• The company offers a variety of great perks like Sample Sales, employee discounts, Thirsty Thursday events and Bagel Fridays (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone) (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management does not voice MAJOR changes to it's employees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Cool, upbeat job environment

I have been working at Rue La La

Pros

Great perks, great environment, great people, very exciting!

Cons

Definitive lack of internal communication & lots of unnecessary systems

Fresh, Fast-Paced, Fun

Current Employee - Editor  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone I've met at Rue in the 8 months I've been here is energetic, passionate, creative, and talented. It's a highly collaborative environment with lots of spirit, and associates and executives take great pride in the product. I came to Rue from a very (very) small, privately owned company that didn't put an ounce of effort into its employees' wellbeing, so coming to Rue has been a great change. There are frequently "surprise & delights", a.k.a. treats for associates (every little thing counts!); a structured review/career management program that enables associates to move up and be recognized for their good work; and ample tools in place that allow associates to gain an in-depth knowledge of what other departments here do, allowing everyone to have a clear understanding of the company as a whole. Benefits are pretty good, and lots of nice perks are offered. Rue feels like a big family, as executives seem to make a point of keeping associates in the loop about changes, new initiatives, how the company is doing, etc.

Cons

Things tend to change frequently (realignments; staffing changes at higher levels; creative direction), which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a matter of preference in terms of the environment you like. Hours and workload during the holidays can be brutal (though temp help is brought in to help offset it), and vacation during that time of year is heavily restricted. The pace can be very, very fast, so it can be tough to juggle projects and deadlines while taking on new ones at the same time.

Hire a creative director and fill in some other key roles that are currently vacant. Some teams feel like they've been left hanging in the balance and like they don't have solid direction/management.

Very fast paced environment, not for wimps!

Current Employee - Technology Based  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technology Based in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been at Rue for two years. As the title says, this is a very fast paced environment and you will not succeed if you are not a self starter. It can sometimes be difficult to get help for a problem, their has been a corporate culture of not answering email although I think this is turning around. There have been some reorganizations and in some aspects that has also helped. There has been a terrible attrition problem, quite a few folks were burned out. Upper management has stated publicly that they have seen the problem and want to help solve it. The office environment is very vibrant and the location in Downtown (Fort Point) was a plus for me. For some it makes for a terrible commute. The management really does try to do things to make the employee's feel that they are recognized. I would say that Rue does this better than any company i have worked for.

Cons

As stated above it can be tough to get traction in the beginning. The corporate culture of not answering email does not help. If you really need an answer sometimes you are forced to have to go and interrupt someone which leads to a very interrupt prone environment. The environment can be very loud. Actually, it can be very, very loud. They need more smaller meeting rooms so that impromptu meetings don't have to take place talking over three cubicles. There is also a 'meeting culture' at the company. Things which could be hashed out in a few email exchanges are usually hashed out in meetings instead.

Pay attention to the quarterly surveys. Also, there should be a formal 'skip level' one on one meeting process in place.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging and fast paced work enviornment

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers,benefits, work differs day to day.

Cons

Cheap, sneaky, and not forthcoming with employees.

Be upfront and honest.

Good working environment

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

Rue La La is a very high energy and motivated company where people are passionate about their jobs. There is a lot of creativity and even in the short time I've been with Rue there has been numerous great, new initiatives launched on the site. It is a fact paced environment and everyone is constantly willing to put in the extra work for the overall benefit of the company.

Cons

Rue La La is a newer company so there are still some struggles with communication and how things operate between teams. Some times procedures are not as smooth as they should be due to the company working out what works best and how to effectively roll things out

There is currently a lot of management and I think Rue would benefit with less management

A Great Tech in Business Education

Current Employee - Technology  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technology in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

In my time at Rue, I've seen some, experienced, and participated in some truly remarkable things. I've seen my team come together in a marathon re-platforming of our site in which many stuck through numerous challenges and changes to the organization, but maintained a focus on "shipping it". I've seen our team to work collaboratively with an entire organization of Marketing, Sales, Production professionals to uncover their needs/pain points and implement creative solutions. I've experienced opportunities that I did not expect; chances to learn the business, train in management, and help grow new businesses for our company. I'm given the opportunity every day to participate with a strong, smart team of folks who "can do". So far, it's been an absolute pleasure -- and I'm looking forward to what the future brings.

Cons

I think we need to do a better job of hiring the right people. I've seen reviews that talk about attrition and losing "strong people", but I'd argue that many of those folks weren't the right people for the job. We need a strong team of folks who can come in and be a part of the team -- learn new things, share what you've learned, ship great code, be able to estimate your work and deliver when you say you will, but MOST importantly: be a team player.

Also of note: there will be crunch times where you're asked to contribute a little more (we're talking maybe a 50 hour week.) In my experience, this is not a big deal -- especially as I take personal accountability for getting our products out there. But if you're someone who comes in at 10am and wants to leave at 5pm on the dot, this might not be the place for you.

I think management does a pretty good job of trying to balance the needs of the organization with the needs of the team. In the new year, we need to deliver on the promise of innovation through our portfolios. Bringing back hackathons or giving folks time for creative explorations in things that could help give back to the team will go a long way.

Fantastic group of people - high energy - fast paced

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at Rue are amazing - bright, kind, collaborative. There is a sense that we are all working together to give the member a great experience. And I feel most employees get exposure to all levels of the organization and many different aspects of the business.

Cons

The nature of the business is ever-changing, which can be exciting, but also challenging. You need to be prepared to handle shifting focuses, moving targets and competing priorities.

Fast Paced, passionate environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

*A young, enthusiastic staff - talented and hard working

*Accepting of different perspectives - many types able to succeed

*Ability to make an impact

*Focus on employee satisfaction w/ activities, free perks, sales

*Cooperative fun environment

*Opportunities to learn and work with marketing, creative, fashion merchandising, finance, PR, logistics - well rounded experience

Cons

*Workload can be excessive, without necessarily having the tools or time to be effective

*Fast pace leads to constantly changing priorities with different levels of follow-through

*Lack of communication/coordination across the different areas of the company

*Systems are not integrated, causing lots of unproductive, tedious manual work

The advantages and disadvantages of the company are two sides of the same coin. The fast pace and change is exciting and challenging, and also can be frustrating and difficult.

The willingness to try new things allows people to feel like they are making an impact, but also causes communication and coordination issues.

The broadest advice would be to find ways to give the employees more time. Everyone I speak with feels they could be more effective with better support; through systems enhancements, adding additional roles, or re-organizing current responsibilities.

Incredibly Friendly, Incredibly Fast

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros

The number one reason I came to work at Ruelala, and the number one reason I am still here, is that one of our core values is kindness, and I feel that reflects upon the people that work here or at least the atmosphere. My previous jobs have been full of Egotistical People that put down others for the simple reason they weren't as "awesome" as they were. In Ruelala, I have never experienced something like that. People here are friendly and kind and I have a community of helpfulness with my fellow engineers. Technically, the challenges we face are interesting and fun. Huge amount of users with several different layers of technology gives a great amount of opportunity to learn and improve.

Cons

Ruelala works fast, and that can be difficult on some people. Also we usually focus on getting things done on time, rather than getting them done perfectly. I am myself of the mindset that the business needs always come first, but I know that has been a negative for some people.

The biggest problem I'd like to see solved is the Engineering Onboarding process. In the past other engineers and myself have come together to work out a better process, but have been unable to do so in a effective and quick manner.

Exciting marketing/tech/retail company going through the typical growing pains of a startup and loaded with upside!

Current Employee - Production  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Production in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time

Pros

Career opportunities
    compensation and benefits
    associate camaraderie
    collaborative
    recognition for performance
    invested in your success

Cons

growing pains
    resource strain to get tech projects accomplished
    priorities can change so goals are not accomplished
    tools, tools, tools
    The back office processes can be highly manual and somewhat redundant

Invest in site personalization and customization. There are huge opportunities for the company to grow but the associates need tools to help make their job easier

Worked for Rue La La? Contribute to the Community!