Rue La La Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.5

Steve Davis

Pros
  • Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales (in 13 reviews)

• great office space and snack closet (not healthy snacks) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone) (in 10 reviews)

• No one willing to step up and lead but many willing to sling blame at one another (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Rue is thinking to the future

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, smart people. Smart conversation happening throughout the office, each & every day.

Cons

The pro of constant change yields to the con of lack of focus -this can be draining & discourage collaboration & planning for the future

Understand when there is a gap between Sr. Management & day-to-day work, and work towards it.

Comments on "HR IS A JOKE"

I worked at Rue La La as an intern

Pros

I did not work at Rue when HR was a joke, but from the 3 months i spent with them and their whole new team, it looks like they got their stuff together.

Cons

Confusion with job descriptions when applying

Growing, successful company that is dedicated to improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are kind, creative, smart, and have character. Summer Fridays are great. There is a energetic buzz in the office. The employees are dedicated to achieving the goals of the organization and company. They invest in continued learning and education for employees.

Cons

Be more modern and competitive with perks, benefits, and office/tech equipment.

Empower people. Provide more access to opportunity. Increase accountability and infuse passion back into the company. This will help employees satisfied and working hard.

Slow at first but a really great place to work everyday

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Big hairy problems to solve
    Supportive managers
    Smart people
    Supportive colleagues
    Great benefits
    Awesome location

Cons

Some lingering attachment to the old old ways
    Stagnant brand vision

Talk to each other
    Communicate with other members of the business

Cool, upbeat job environment

I have been working at Rue La La

Pros

Great perks, great environment, great people, very exciting!

Cons

Definitive lack of internal communication & lots of unnecessary systems

Fresh, Fast-Paced, Fun

Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I've met at Rue in the 8 months I've been here is energetic, passionate, creative, and talented. It's a highly collaborative environment with lots of spirit, and associates and executives take great pride in the product. I came to Rue from a very (very) small, privately owned company that didn't put an ounce of effort into its employees' wellbeing, so coming to Rue has been a great change. There are frequently "surprise & delights", a.k.a. treats for associates (every little thing counts!); a structured review/career management program that enables associates to move up and be recognized for their good work; and ample tools in place that allow associates to gain an in-depth knowledge of what other departments here do, allowing everyone to have a clear understanding of the company as a whole. Benefits are pretty good, and lots of nice perks are offered. Rue feels like a big family, as executives seem to make a point of keeping associates in the loop about changes, new initiatives, how the company is doing, etc.

Cons

Things tend to change frequently (realignments; staffing changes at higher levels; creative direction), which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a matter of preference in terms of the environment you like. Hours and workload during the holidays can be brutal (though temp help is brought in to help offset it), and vacation during that time of year is heavily restricted. The pace can be very, very fast, so it can be tough to juggle projects and deadlines while taking on new ones at the same time.

Hire a creative director and fill in some other key roles that are currently vacant. Some teams feel like they've been left hanging in the balance and like they don't have solid direction/management.

Very fast paced environment, not for wimps!

Current Employee - Technology Based in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technology Based in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been at Rue for two years. As the title says, this is a very fast paced environment and you will not succeed if you are not a self starter. It can sometimes be difficult to get help for a problem, their has been a corporate culture of not answering email although I think this is turning around. There have been some reorganizations and in some aspects that has also helped. There has been a terrible attrition problem, quite a few folks were burned out. Upper management has stated publicly that they have seen the problem and want to help solve it. The office environment is very vibrant and the location in Downtown (Fort Point) was a plus for me. For some it makes for a terrible commute. The management really does try to do things to make the employee's feel that they are recognized. I would say that Rue does this better than any company i have worked for.

Cons

As stated above it can be tough to get traction in the beginning. The corporate culture of not answering email does not help. If you really need an answer sometimes you are forced to have to go and interrupt someone which leads to a very interrupt prone environment. The environment can be very loud. Actually, it can be very, very loud. They need more smaller meeting rooms so that impromptu meetings don't have to take place talking over three cubicles. There is also a 'meeting culture' at the company. Things which could be hashed out in a few email exchanges are usually hashed out in meetings instead.

Pay attention to the quarterly surveys. Also, there should be a formal 'skip level' one on one meeting process in place.

Challenging and fast paced work enviornment

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Rue La La full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers,benefits, work differs day to day.

Cons

Cheap, sneaky, and not forthcoming with employees.

Be upfront and honest.

Good working environment

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rue La La is a very high energy and motivated company where people are passionate about their jobs. There is a lot of creativity and even in the short time I've been with Rue there has been numerous great, new initiatives launched on the site. It is a fact paced environment and everyone is constantly willing to put in the extra work for the overall benefit of the company.

Cons

Rue La La is a newer company so there are still some struggles with communication and how things operate between teams. Some times procedures are not as smooth as they should be due to the company working out what works best and how to effectively roll things out

There is currently a lot of management and I think Rue would benefit with less management

A Great Tech in Business Education

Current Employee - Technology in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technology in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rue La La full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my time at Rue, I've seen some, experienced, and participated in some truly remarkable things. I've seen my team come together in a marathon re-platforming of our site in which many stuck through numerous challenges and changes to the organization, but maintained a focus on "shipping it". I've seen our team to work collaboratively with an entire organization of Marketing, Sales, Production professionals to uncover their needs/pain points and implement creative solutions. I've experienced opportunities that I did not expect; chances to learn the business, train in management, and help grow new businesses for our company. I'm given the opportunity every day to participate with a strong, smart team of folks who "can do". So far, it's been an absolute pleasure -- and I'm looking forward to what the future brings.

Cons

I think we need to do a better job of hiring the right people. I've seen reviews that talk about attrition and losing "strong people", but I'd argue that many of those folks weren't the right people for the job. We need a strong team of folks who can come in and be a part of the team -- learn new things, share what you've learned, ship great code, be able to estimate your work and deliver when you say you will, but MOST importantly: be a team player.

Also of note: there will be crunch times where you're asked to contribute a little more (we're talking maybe a 50 hour week.) In my experience, this is not a big deal -- especially as I take personal accountability for getting our products out there. But if you're someone who comes in at 10am and wants to leave at 5pm on the dot, this might not be the place for you.

I think management does a pretty good job of trying to balance the needs of the organization with the needs of the team. In the new year, we need to deliver on the promise of innovation through our portfolios. Bringing back hackathons or giving folks time for creative explorations in things that could help give back to the team will go a long way.