Rugged Wearhouse

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Feinberg

Okay company to work for

ProsDecent pay for managers, bonus when sales goals

ConsOld fixtures, old or used equipment, slow outdated computer systems. Upper management not caring or little to no involvement

Advice to Senior ManagementVery political view on promotions.

"Ragged" Wearhouse is more like it

ProsGreat Deals on name brands.

ConsEverything else. I've never worked for a company that finds a way to cheat employees out of needed pay (such as vacation or bereavement) until this company

Advice to Senior ManagementStop finding a way to beat employees from needed time off with pay. We bust our butts off for this company, we deserve something.

Good for people starting out

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat people who are down to earth
    Great place to show your creativity

ConsLong hours with schedule changes with little or no notice
    Low pay scale

Advice to Senior ManagementYou preach work life balance but there is no practice of it what so ever!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ret(hell)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent brand names at low prices; loved a couple managers and lots of hard-working, multi-tasking frantic associates begging for hours

ConsThe Rugged dumbs down retail as it is now conceived by upper management: no associate gets more the 20 hours. DM: "We owe them nothing." Wow. Typical pyramid scheme, except the bottom of pyramid had to make less and less. We give them minimum wage, we give them less the 20 hours a week, and they must be available for call ins. And, gee, we should not just hire "bodys", but the best. If they show up and apply, forgettaboutit. Go out and find the best. So...such is retail in 2014. Work min wage, work 20 hours, be available all the time or else, and be the best. Let the top get rich and serve us gladly, Rich get richer and the young people pay for their phones, cars, and live with Mom. Henry Ford, a century ago realized that no one could buy his cars unless he paid them better. He then paid better.

Advice to Senior ManagementI want to say, "Go to hell!" But that is not productive (yet I said it anyway, ohhhhhh). I know it is retail and every retail associate or manager complains about "corporate." But every one complains about corporate. Want to set yourself apart from others and finally get in front of the curve rather than years behind? Get with the Gap's start. TREAT PEOPLE WELL! Forget about the model that VPs and DMs must have a bad visit followed by a good one. WE KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING! At least most of us. HR, actually talk to, get to know us. You sit in the office and do paper work and judge us without knowing us. DMs spend two minutes with us on the floor with all its distractions and then downgrade our manager's evaluations without a bit of real knowledge of our actual work. Just such typical RETAIL. I have read enough now to know that this is what retail is. Poor management yelling, "Sell more!" Meaning, I don't know how but sell more. Then, OK, personally, I sold more, and wasn't promoted for a guy who is not selling more. Just so pathetic. Want to get ahead: gee, set and hold consistent standards and people will meet them. I have never seen so many pathetic sociopathic or borderline personalities in one place. Not just at Rugged but in all Retail across the spectrum. Why be sick. Get healed and healthy; help your store, help managers, help associates, and, gosh, SUCCEED! Be the first.

Rugged Wearhouse

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Columbia, SC

ProsDiscount on products. Management worked with employees.

ConsNot enough employees to cover the floor

Advice to Senior ManagementHave enough employees scheduled each shift to ensure a great customer experience.

Terrible experience working here - management needs to get it together

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsO.K. place to shop. Cheap clothes plus employee discount.

ConsManagement never has any idea what they're doing. One says one thing, another says a different thing, and you get fussed at if one catches you doing something the other said to do. You can't win and it always looks like you're doing a bad job even when you're going by what management says because management can never stay on the same page. The communication is terrible, and the store is always so disgusting. There's dust and cockroaches and spiders everywhere. Worst work environment I've ever been in. The pay isn't anything to be excited about either. Be prepared to work extremely hard and MAYBE get over minimum while management gets $12+ an hour to sit in the office and snack and gossip.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet and STAY on the same page. COMMUNICATE with each other!

It was okay but won't work there again

Prosgood prices and some of there empoyees were a lot of help when i was shopping there, and they always had something that i could wear!

ConsOkay customer service, Store was always dirty. The management always seemed to be dis organized or no where to be found when the cash registers picked up.

Terrible management experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    College Park, MD

ProsDiscount on already discounted clothes

ConsSmall discount, no bonuses, it's hard to get a raise, low pay

Retaliation. Is not foreign to these folks

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Winston-Salem, NC

ProsIt really is a nice in-store environment to work in. The salary is above average

ConsToo many chiefs not enough Indians! The upper management will give several different directions on the same topic. Leaving less experienced managers confused. The upper management is also very vindictive in their behaviors. Promote from within is what they always say and seldom do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some integrity! Learn honesty! Get rid of politics! And let people be people! Stop being so vengeful

Glad I was only there for 3 months!!!!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Gaithersburg, MD

ProsIt's very busy all the time. ...... yea that's about it.

ConsWork / life balance sucks. When the DM gets mad because the Regional get on her butt then the DM does not care about your family life. I was working 6 days a week starting in October, and working from1:30 pm to 10:00 pm. or 8:30- 5 pm. vacation days could never get approved. and My store Manager had no balls to stand up for us the employee's. whatever the DM wanted the SM said ok.. The employee bathrooms are GROSS. corporate said they were going to renovate the bathroom and break room since i started there. Health benefits sucks as well. and don't even get me started on payroll. I never in my 19 years of retail mgmt had to be the backup cashier because there was no hours to have two cashiers. then be on a register for 6 hours and wonder why my department looks like crap!!

Advice to Senior Managementpeople have lives outside of work. you guys only care about the dollar that is going into your pocket not that people have families at home or little kids. you guys need to start treating your employee's better or you guys are not going to have any..

Worked for Rugged Wearhouse? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rugged Wearhouse reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rugged Wearhouse CEO Jeff Feinberg. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Rugged Wearhouse employees.