Runzheimer Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
17 reviews filtered by
3.7
Randy Mueller

1. Great culture, growing company; premier employer!

I have been working at Runzheimer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has an excellent, positive culture and the employees from leadership on down are dedicated and transparent. Employees, leadership included are genuine and collaborative. Employees can take advantage of summer hours and a flexible working environment. The facility is beautiful and accommodating with an excellent lunchroom, workout facility, free tea and coffee as well as free popcorn midweek. The environment provides lot of opportunity for growth and advancement and there is a tremendous amount of promoting from within. The culture is very engaging and healthy. The company provides "jeans" Friday's there are many engagement activities regularly including fun activities, summer picnic and a holiday party!

Cons

The company has been going though a lot of change management as of late. Although that can perceived to be stressful, the change is very necessary and refreshing. The culture is conservative generally speaking; professional and somewhat quiet. Too many hands in the pot sometimes with the inability to move the company forward. New leadership is changing these things for the better. Previous Executive leader led by fear and ambiguity. Overall leadership recognizes the past shortcomings and is taking great strides to make the necessary changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to make changes to provide the necessary resources for employees. Consider changing to a more casual environment (jeans). Continue to grow the leaders and provide them with the training so that they can grow and develop. New executive leadership was a very positive change!

2. A second review 2 years later!

I have been working at Runzheimer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I posted a review about 6 months into working here talking about the positives and negatives. A refresh may be helpful to those that consider this company to know what changes over time.
    Pros-
    1. Leadership is truly taking a supportive and encouraging role in the company. There is not a Micro Management Culture but there is a constantly improving cultural. This does mean constant changes that make people better. Pro for most people but scary for others.
    2. Benefits, 401K, Compensation, Vacation time, and other "perks" are top notch.
    3. There is a work like balance that allows you to keep life in order within reason. No one is ever given a hard time for wanting time away or taking a vacation.
    4. Everyone is willing to help you if you want help. I have never been told no when asking for help on something.
    5. New Senior Leadership has a great view and past track record of making strides in change. I think this will lead to even more rapid growth.
    6. People are just s nice as they were when I interviewed. I thought it was strange and now I am happy to know that everyone was exactly as they presented them selves to be almost 3 years later.
    7. Career advancement- if you want it here and you work for it, you will get it. This is taken seriously here.

Cons

Cons are fewer but there are a couple.
    1. There was turnover by choice during the time of change we went through. Some times it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel of a change, but it has been worth it for everyone. However, any turnover is hard even though it was not a lot.
    2. For some, a con would be the constant development. We always are getting better with new products and services. Sometimes it can be hard to keep up with all the new things for some people.

Advice to Management

1. Keep the positive attitude flowing in the culture.
    2. Listen to the "big rocks" we can cover and cover them quickly.
    3. Continue to always enforce the values of the organization
    4. Take advantage of all the new leadership and make changes quickly with a positive impact.

3. High quality company

I have been working at Runzheimer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity to build a healthy and productive career at Runzheimer. Anyone who is serious about working hard, thinking creatively and holding themselves personally accountable for achieving results can be successful. There are plenty of promotion opportunities and the company actively recruits from within.
    There are more resources available at Runzheimer than at most companies. For example, Runzheimer offers excellent personal technology, solid onboarding and ongoing training. They put an emphasis on personal development. You always have direct access to the top leadership. There are proper travel budgets and big investments in people and systems.

The company has excellent benefits, The healthcare and wellness programs are excellent and affordable. The 401k plan is excellent. PTO is very reasonable, comparable to anywhere I have worked. The salaries are benchmarked to industry standards and generally above average market rates. Personal achievements are well recognized.

Overall it's a great place to build a successful career.

Cons

Runzheimer is a challenging place to work. You can't coast, or wait to be told what to do, and still be successful. Everyone here is a knowledge worker, and we work in a hyper competitive marketplace. So you have to work hard, focus and be creative about how to solve difficult business problems for our clients.

You're expected to grow as a person and consistently get better. Nobody is allowed to sit still, and that rubs some people the wrong way. You are held accountable for growing your own skills and consistently contributing more to our client and our organization. If you hold yourself accountable, keep a positive attitude and focus on hard work, there isn't any reason why you can't be successful.

Advice to Management

Continue to hold employees accountable to grow their own personal skills, contributions to our clients and the company. This applies to all levels within the organization. Don't allow low performing employees to hold back those employees who want to move quickly, compete hard and differentiate Runzheimer in the marketplace.

5. Great place to work, highly recommended

Current Employee - Information Technology in Waterford, WI
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Waterford, WI

I have been working at Runzheimer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work at Runzheimer are great to work with and enjoyable to work with. The technology team is working hard to move forward and modernize. A new CEO has joined the organization and could help remove the negatives. The company has some strong and established products with great market share and other products that are good ideas trying to gain market share, making the future look bright. Benefits are excellent, and opportunities to advance internally are available. The company values are very good and the majority of the employees attempt to uphold all of them.

Cons

Office culture is very conservative, has a very unpleasant traditional cube farm feel, imagine the movie office space. Products use technology that is terribly out of date, processes are often weak and poorly thought out. The previous president built a very micro managing culture in the company. Like any company there are one or two bad apples that are unpleasant to work with.

Advice to Management

Focus on changing the company culture to be less of a cube farm and more of a collaborative high energy environment. Use the change in leadership as an opportunity to move the focus of the upper management to strategy and away from micro management. Focus on shifting from having technologically out of date products with poor presentation to market leading, cutting edge technology and presentation.

6. Professional

I worked at Runzheimer

Pros

Employees are good people. They reinvest in their technology with some regularity. The company employs a lot of best business practices. The benefits are decent.

Cons

The top leadership felt manipulative and negative. There was regular turn-over in key leadership roles. The culture lost its vitality. Goal attainment, both at an individual level and as a company overall, was not great. This is not to say there wasn't growth; it just didn't meet goals.

7. The good, bad and ugly

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Runzheimer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is a GREAT place to work, but only for a while. The company truly cares about the employees and a lot of the employees OUTSIDE of the sales/business development tend to have a "cradle to death" experience, which is rare now a days. They provided good sales and product training. In my experience they are truly a great place to work, unless you are working in business development...

Cons

There hasn't been much competition in 75-80 years and Runzheimer was just starting to figure out how to be competitive. This equated to a lot of micromanagement and relatively high turnover within the Business Development teams. Its as if management doesn't have a clear or realistic perspective of what a competitive landscape and sales cycle looks like.

Advice to Management

Regarding business development/sales make a plan/goals and steer the course. We didn't get to the moon by shooting a rocket directly at the target, make small adjustments along the way. Management would be better suited to manage their expectations and consult with change management teams.

8. Positive/Engaged Atmosphere

I have been working at Runzheimer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility for great work/life balance, the VPs have a positive and energetic attitude about the continued growth of the organization. Some of the VPs have fresh ideas that are very encouraging. The company is really starting to highlight employees and show appreciation for how committed its employees are.

Cons

For a while, change was increasing and employees were leaving frequently. Some felt like they weren't appreciated for the work they did. The changes keep coming, but it seems like there is more stability and employees are happier. Hopefully it stays that way!

Advice to Management

Keep giving your people a positive reason to come to work.

9. Great People/Innovative Company

Former Employee - Research in Waterford, WI
    Former Employee - Research in Waterford, WI

I worked at Runzheimer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have not been there since mid-2000's, but at the time the company was making changes to stay in the game and very innovative.

The head management was not as employee-focused as when I started, but the people I worked with directly on a daily basis were exceptional.

Benefits were excellent.

Cons

The only real complaint I had was when they hired someone and within a month or two they let her go because they were selling off the business she was working on--the deal had been in the works for a long time and it seemed like they were drastically short-sighted to have hired her.

There was no real career path in place--nothing to reward hard working, long-time employees.

Some management is very stringent--Salaried employees had to be right on time and working in the morning, but stay late when the workload was high or when a client needed help.

Advice to Management

Reduce the "German" tendencies in the management and create a structure to reward employees who are long timers and on a career path to move up.

Solid and Successful Company

I have been working at Runzheimer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for personal and professional growth; industry leader with a very strong attention to customer service; employees are friendly, collaborative and work exceptionally hard; room for advancement; company is flexible and allows for remote work and condensed summer hours

Cons

Workloads can be heavy at times and you have to be good at prioritizing your work load. That said, there is an effort to add resources where workloads are high.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on the development of employees. There have been many promotions over the last couple of years. Employees value the ability to be rewarded and recognized for their hard work.

11. A good place to Grow

I have been working at Runzheimer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Runzheimer is a great place to consider working if you are looking to continually grow and develop. I have a relatively short tenure right now, but I have seen a number of my peers with less than two years of experience being promoted into larger roles. Personal growth is there if you want it. Pay and benefits are good and the wellness benefits are great, including onsite yoga and a CSA. Coworkers are friendly and collaboration is stressed from day one. My manager really seems interested in my development.

Cons

There are multiple projects going on at any one time, and some employees find themselves on numerous projects at once which can make for a heavy workload at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to share the vision with employees. Many people do not know the Runzheimer name, but what we have to offer the outside world in the way of our product set is great.