Rural King

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
1.9

Alex Melvin

great atmosphere to work in, excellent friendly coworkers.

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Rural King full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great company, coworkers, management, friendly customers, many retail items. pet friendly, feels like home atmosphere, customers are always thankful, has excellent sales on items, keeps a lot of stock in inventory, treats customers with kindness.

Cons

a little unorganized at times, some department managers are more about stocking and looks than helping customers. Little training, and if any, to many "chiefs" trying to train you in different ways and contradicting the other ones.

have a closer commitment to stores and more visits. more training for managers.

Run Away and Don't Look Back!

Former Employee - Lead Cashier
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier

I worked at Rural King

Pros

Can't think of one, unless you're into lying your way into management and being drunk and sitting entire shifts out in the break room.

Cons

Would rate this place negative stars if it was an option. The equivalent of what I imagine afterlife in Hades to be.
    Managers play favorites. The favorites are the ones who don't do anything, so if you're lazy, this is the job for you. You'll be a department manager in no time, and if you come in drunk enough times, they'll even make you an assistant manager. This also works if you lack general knowledge of the product.
    Nothing gets done about complaints. Even when they go to corporate. Even when words such as vandalism and harassment are involved as some people witnessed at our store.
    Management will call employees stupid to customers.
    There is a lack of respect to people with disabilities who work there. One such employee was being called stupid by a manager in Huber while she was talking to other employees.
    Basically, this place blows as a whole.

Hire people who know the product and actually work. Hire management who can show respect to people.

"If you don't like it we've got 10 people to replace you."

Current Employee - Associate in Mattoon, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Mattoon, IL

I have been working at Rural King part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good coworkers,customers are fun. time off requests usually easy to get.

Cons

No balance between real-life and work-life, no consideration given to scheduling NO SOP what-so-ever. Management inconsistent (bi-polar?) No training in any dept. Low pay. No loyalty. Product quality poor, full time hours impossible to get yet they keep hiring.

For a company so big I have never seen such poor treatment and inconsideration of the employees.Lowpay, lack of raises, working conditions (I've never see people who work inside have to wear coats to run a cash register )Store climate should be comfortable, if not for us you'd think at least for the customers. High turn-over doesn't seem to be a concern with this company,nor the way employees are made to feel totally replaceable; even if they do a good job they're not rewarded with any loyalty or respect. The only solution for not agreeing with the policy or the scheduling of the moment is to move on because " if you don't like it we've got 10 people to replace you".

Great company, but management not the best.

I worked at Rural King part-time

Pros

Great co workers, opportunity to move jobs with in the store

Cons

management, scheduling, not very helpful with problems with in the store

No way to make any decent money.

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Rural King full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits offered, vacation after 1 year.

Cons

No training what so ever. You only get what you learn on your own so be prepared to find out how things work on your own. Train yourself basically.

No room to advance if you won't move away.

Sales is all that matters

Current Employee - Associate in Central, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Central, IL

I have been working at Rural King part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many different tasks to prevent boredom and lots of loyal customers.

Cons

Dirty environment, little training and even less safety practices. You'll kill your back with constant lifting. No damp mopping causes dusty push brooming every night.

Minimum wage, no benefits and cutting hours during slower months causes the perpetual turnover of part-timers.

run for the woods

Current Employee - Management in Mattoon, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Mattoon, IL

I have been working at Rural King full-time (more than an year)

Pros

it's a paycheck, not a good one but a paycheck none the less.

Cons

management, everyone above store manager level do not listen. even if they appear to be listening it's going in one ear and out the other. they do not fix anything. LOW, LOW pay and beneifts are not all that great. Scheduling is poor from a bad payroll structure that never gives enough hours to do anything other than work freight when it shows up, at all times of the day.

stop making everything harder than it needs to be and listen. some of the best ideas often come from sources other than the corporate powers, like the rank and file.

Pretty good

Current Employee - Cashier in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Rural King part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers are generally great people and are a blast to interact with.
    Co-workers are understanding and enjoyable to be around.
    The store has a lot of inventory so your employee discount is useful.

Cons

Not any room for promotion
    Salary is non-negotiable
    A lot of work for not much pay

Good

I have been working at Rural King full-time

Pros

Nice place to work, cool store, great employee prices, real opportunity for advancement. Management will give you time off if you need it and they don't beat up on people.

Cons

low pay, disorganized management, no clear policies- they change a lot.

identify key employees for advancement, have a clearer and more organized method for running the store.

An exercise in frustration every single day.

Current Employee - Cashier in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Rural King part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work with a handful of really nice people. I enjoy working with the public and I have some really great regular customers. Also, lots of people bring in their pets.

Cons

Moving up within the company is next to impossible. I've been begging for extra hours or to move into a different department. I was told that there would be some positions coming open and I got passed up for a full time position in another department by a brand new 17 year old employee. I was told it was because they didn't want a female heading that particular department. The break room is disgusting, employees get shorted on their breaks, you are asked to work off the clock, and if you volunteer to come in for a person who has called out sick they cut your hours for the next week. No one ever tells you that you do anything right, but they make it a huge point to complain if you do one single thing wrong, and not necessarily in person. They don't give a second thought to writing you a nasty note and leaving it out for all to see. Buy a new mop bucket. Don't tell employees they must wring out the mops by hand, that is just gross!

Work with your current employees who show interest in moving forward and growing within the company. Don't punish the employees who are willing to work. If someone volunteers to work for a someone who has called out don't take away their hours for the next week and give them to the person who didn't show up. Ensure that employees get their scheduled breaks. Supply the proper equipment to allow employees to perform their duties.

Rural King Photos

Hamilton, Ohio store front
Circleville, Ohio store front
New store set in beginning process

+ Add Photo