Rural King Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
56 reviews filtered by
2.2
Alex Melvin

Pros
  • Get to see dogs and most customers are friendly, though they get upset about the lines and lack of help (I don't blame them) (in 2 reviews)

• Lots of fun co-workers (except management) (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, disorganized management, no clear policies- they change a lot (in 7 reviews)

• Turnover rate extremely high- about 75% in the 6 months I've been here (in 3 reviews)

1. It's not the worst place to work, but it has plenty of problems.

Current Employee - Loader in New Philadelphia, OH
    Current Employee - Loader in New Philadelphia, OH

I have been working at Rural King part-time (more than a year)

Pros

+ You get to pick when you go on break and lunch.
    + Getting days switched in your schedule is easy.
    + Loaders get a 25 cent bonus for every load out they do.
    + You get to see alot of animals from the customer's dogs to the bunnies that are sold.
    + Co-workers become your friends

Cons

- The way Loaders are scheduled, usually they will only have one loader at a time, they will usually only have one loader at a time, occasionally two. Even two loaders isn't enough during the peak of most days. The only time the store has more than two loaders in at a time is during the holidays. Not only this, but they also don't usually overlap the last hour of one loader's shift with the first hour of the next loader's shift, which can lead to problems around that hour mark.
    - There's no ceiling sign for the Seasonal section of the store.
    - Layaways always get moved to the wrong spots.
    - Not enough recyclable stuff actually gets recycled.
    - Alot of calls you make into the radio go unanswered even when trying to help a customer.
    - Occasional angry customer, but that's everywhere.

Just look at the Cons list.

2. I've been working at Rural King for over a year...

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Rural King part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It does 'connote' the Rural of its name, since its culture is NOT as 'regimented' as Wal-Mart, Starbucks, etc.! I quit Wal-Mart as a Management Trainee because of this very reason...

Cons

As I've experienced, they DO lack any kind of short informal training program?

Get a 'schematic' job training manual, and go over it 'schematically' just an hour for cashiers, associates, maybe 2 hrs for managers? They schedule work hours on a weekly, at will basis, which isn't very professional!

3. Receiving Manager

Current Employee - Receiving Manager in Bonita Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Receiving Manager in Bonita Springs, FL

I have been working at Rural King full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love what I do. The customers. Most of my co workers. And my present store manager. In fact all of my store managers have been good.

Cons

Lack of training. Bad Assistant Managers make for bad employees. Bad Assistant Managers make the store look bad. They dont help, they talk down to employees, they just shouldn't be in their position. And keeping the employees that do a lousy job, Get rid of them!

Look at your hard workers. We want to move up within the company. You need more trainers on the registers. The cashiers need to learn to scan everything correctly. The Asst, Managers need to do their jobs instead of goofing off.

5. assistant manager

I have been working at Rural King

Pros

none comes to mind sorry

Cons

long hours low pay no organization

Hate this place

Current Employee - Cashier in Huber Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Huber Heights, OH

I have been working at Rural King

Pros

leaving after working with no recognition

Cons

The list for pros is shorter. The place has zero heat or air, especially in the back. Had to rig up plastic and tiny space heaters to keep people in receiving warm in winter and get huge fans to keep cool in summer. roof leaks no matter how much they "fix it". Had tiles crashing to the floor on employees and customers, then employees got yelled at for having wet clothing. Had a doctor note from the hospital putting me on light duty. Was told by office manager it wasn't specific enough and didnt list what was wrong with me, so they didn't have to honor it. Went to the dr and he went smart elic specific. Took that note in. Light duty was still refused to be honored, even though it said I wasn't to push pull or lift over 20 lbs. Was forced to move around pallets of pool shock the same day. Had my car vandalized by 2 employees who are now promoted to assistant managers, even though complaints were made to corporate about them. was also harassed by employees, then got fired for drama. Got rehired because I think corporate was scared I would take them to court and win.

Shut the place down

Love working for this company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Coshocton, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Coshocton, OH

I have been working at Rural King full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like my coworkers and management the best. Everyone is friendly and willing to help one another out. I have been in retail for 15 years with different companies and I have to say this is the best that I have worked for.
    I enjoy my job, I learn something new everyday and I actually feel appreciated and valued.

Cons

I don't have any right now!

Keep up the good work! I feel like you actually listen to what the stores are telling you!

Gross mismanagement leads to extremely high turn over and internal shrink.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Vincennes, IN
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Vincennes, IN

I worked at Rural King full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co workers are generally understanding and are willing to help if ever given a chance. Get to meet lots of interesting costumers.

Cons

Management blatantly lies about or simply doesn't know store policies. The pay is extremely low. The store is constantly understaffed. We are often told that if we are not happy we can just leave, they have plenty of people to take your place even though we have 3 empty department managers and an assistant manager position. They repeatedly tell you to buy into the store share program while at the same time cutting hours. Was constantly reminded of $1000 "whistle blower" bounty on stealing associates.

The management has a habit of talking down to you in a condescending matter if you have any question and seem to refuse to use basic logic (I've been told to use a 24ft plan-o-gram for a 16ft piece of steel simply because it was "newer" than the 16ft plan-o-gram). Was once told in morning meeting before annual evaluations that we "are not to speak to other employees about their pay." and that I "need to worry about your own pay."

Working conditions are horrible, warehouse has gone almost entire winter without heat, I don't believe the AC has ever worked back there. The break room isn't heated or cooled. When the store ACs do work, they often freeze over than start leaking into the building. We just now got internal foyer doors, before the service desk had to rig a cardboard barrier to keep the frigid wind out. The newly install internal doors don't work, often getting jammed open or refusing to open. The eyewash station's check tag still says Wal-Mart with the last legible date being 1994. Many of the fork lift's safety features do not work. (the back-up alarm, rotating caution light, brake and tail lights, and seat belt do not work). One truck has turned over and is clearly visibly damaged.

Contrary to what you want to believe, the most important people at Rural King is not the costumers it's your employees. If you treated them with a modicum of respect and maybe paid them more than minimum wage, you might not see the insane amount of internal shrink and turn over that you do. In the past 2 weeks alone you lost 1 assistant manager and 3 department managers not to mention the several part-timers you lost as well.

Run away!

Current Employee - Lead Cashiere in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Cashiere in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Rural King

Pros

co workers AND customers are a joy to work with; it's like your family away from your actual family

Cons

management and co-workers are the worst

make sure you are hiring actually qualified people for management. There are some managers that should not be in that position!

Negative Ungrateful Work Environment

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Rural King full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus structure, competitive pay, stock purchase plan (employees only), hands on leadership, 50 hour work week, ability to lead

Cons

Negative leadership, constant change in hierarchy provides no consistency in direction, always wanting more, encouragement to buy into stock plan comes more as an order than a suggestion, no job security, micro management, company phone must be on you and on at all times

Appreciate your people for what they do, they're helping build the company just as much as you

WARNING

Former Intern - Gun Sales in Crystal River, FL
    Former Intern - Gun Sales in Crystal River, FL

I worked at Rural King as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Employee can purchase stock in the company. Fellow employees are great.

Cons

All part time at minimum wage, only management is full time. The equates to a total earning potential of about $8000 per year, most work 2 jobs.Work is up to 30 hours per pay sometime 5 to 6 days, every day a different shift. Bare Concrete floors, dogs allowed (you clean up after not customer) Asst. managers are mean spirited and will embarrass you in front of customers. Most are former Wal Mart people and lack even the basic managerial skills, very anti employee. There is little or no training and you are just a body with no value, chance of advancement is slim purely entry level high school job NOT a career move. Most work here because there are NO other jobs available.

Treat your people with value and respect for a good job.Hire QUALIFIED management not former Wal Mart people that couldn't cut it there. The employees ARE your business treat them as a valued asset.

Rural King Photos

Hamilton, Ohio store front
Circleville, Ohio store front
New store set in beginning process

+ Add Photo