Rural King

Updated February 13, 2015
Updated February 13, 2015
2.2

Alex Melvin

Pros
  • Get to see dogs and most customers are friendly, though they get upset about the lines and lack of help (I don't blame them) (in 2 reviews)

• Lots of fun co-workers (except management) (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, disorganized management, no clear policies- they change a lot (in 7 reviews)

• Turnover rate extremely high- about 75% in the 6 months I've been here (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working for this company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Coshocton, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Coshocton, OH

I have been working at Rural King full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like my coworkers and management the best. Everyone is friendly and willing to help one another out. I have been in retail for 15 years with different companies and I have to say this is the best that I have worked for.
    I enjoy my job, I learn something new everyday and I actually feel appreciated and valued.

Cons

I don't have any right now!

Keep up the good work! I feel like you actually listen to what the stores are telling you!

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Rural King full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Excellent Bonus
    Good Schedule
    Good Benefits

Cons

No Appreciation
    Change for the sake of Change
    No Stability at Upper Management

WARNING

Former Intern - Gun Sales in Crystal River, FL
    Former Intern - Gun Sales in Crystal River, FL

I worked at Rural King as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Employee can purchase stock in the company. Fellow employees are great.

Cons

All part time at minimum wage, only management is full time. The equates to a total earning potential of about $8000 per year, most work 2 jobs.Work is up to 30 hours per pay sometime 5 to 6 days, every day a different shift. Bare Concrete floors, dogs allowed (you clean up after not customer) Asst. managers are mean spirited and will embarrass you in front of customers. Most are former Wal Mart people and lack even the basic managerial skills, very anti employee. There is little or no training and you are just a body with no value, chance of advancement is slim purely entry level high school job NOT a career move. Most work here because there are NO other jobs available.

Treat your people with value and respect for a good job.Hire QUALIFIED management not former Wal Mart people that couldn't cut it there. The employees ARE your business treat them as a valued asset.

Run away!

Current Employee - Lead Cashiere in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Cashiere in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Rural King

Pros

co workers AND customers are a joy to work with; it's like your family away from your actual family

Cons

management and co-workers are the worst

make sure you are hiring actually qualified people for management. There are some managers that should not be in that position!

Negative Ungrateful Work Environment

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Rural King full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus structure, competitive pay, stock purchase plan (employees only), hands on leadership, 50 hour work week, ability to lead

Cons

Negative leadership, constant change in hierarchy provides no consistency in direction, always wanting more, encouragement to buy into stock plan comes more as an order than a suggestion, no job security, micro management, company phone must be on you and on at all times

Appreciate your people for what they do, they're helping build the company just as much as you

great atmosphere to work in, excellent friendly coworkers.

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Rural King full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great company, coworkers, management, friendly customers, many retail items. pet friendly, feels like home atmosphere, customers are always thankful, has excellent sales on items, keeps a lot of stock in inventory, treats customers with kindness.

Cons

a little unorganized at times, some department managers are more about stocking and looks than helping customers. Little training, and if any, to many "chiefs" trying to train you in different ways and contradicting the other ones.

have a closer commitment to stores and more visits. more training for managers.

Run Away and Don't Look Back!

Former Employee - Lead Cashier
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier

I worked at Rural King

Pros

Can't think of one, unless you're into lying your way into management and being drunk and sitting entire shifts out in the break room.

Cons

Would rate this place negative stars if it was an option. The equivalent of what I imagine afterlife in Hades to be.
    Managers play favorites. The favorites are the ones who don't do anything, so if you're lazy, this is the job for you. You'll be a department manager in no time, and if you come in drunk enough times, they'll even make you an assistant manager. This also works if you lack general knowledge of the product.
    Nothing gets done about complaints. Even when they go to corporate. Even when words such as vandalism and harassment are involved as some people witnessed at our store.
    Management will call employees stupid to customers.
    There is a lack of respect to people with disabilities who work there. One such employee was being called stupid by a manager in Huber while she was talking to other employees.
    Basically, this place blows as a whole.

Hire people who know the product and actually work. Hire management who can show respect to people.

"If you don't like it we've got 10 people to replace you."

Current Employee - Associate in Mattoon, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Mattoon, IL

I have been working at Rural King part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers,customers are fun. time off requests usually easy to get.

Cons

No balance between real-life and work-life, no consideration given to scheduling NO SOP what-so-ever. Management inconsistent (bi-polar?) No training in any dept. Low pay. No loyalty. Product quality poor, full time hours impossible to get yet they keep hiring.

For a company so big I have never seen such poor treatment and inconsideration of the employees.Lowpay, lack of raises, working conditions (I've never see people who work inside have to wear coats to run a cash register )Store climate should be comfortable, if not for us you'd think at least for the customers. High turn-over doesn't seem to be a concern with this company,nor the way employees are made to feel totally replaceable; even if they do a good job they're not rewarded with any loyalty or respect. The only solution for not agreeing with the policy or the scheduling of the moment is to move on because " if you don't like it we've got 10 people to replace you".

Great company, but management not the best.

I worked at Rural King part-time

Pros

Great co workers, opportunity to move jobs with in the store

Cons

management, scheduling, not very helpful with problems with in the store

Sales is all that matters

Current Employee - Associate in Central, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Central, IL

I have been working at Rural King part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many different tasks to prevent boredom and lots of loyal customers.

Cons

Dirty environment, little training and even less safety practices. You'll kill your back with constant lifting. No damp mopping causes dusty push brooming every night.

Minimum wage, no benefits and cutting hours during slower months causes the perpetual turnover of part-timers.

Rural King Photos

Hamilton, Ohio store front
Circleville, Ohio store front
New store set in beginning process

+ Add Photo