Rural King Reviews

Updated October 26, 2014
Updated October 26, 2014
1.9

Alex Melvin

Great company, but management not the best.

I worked at Rural King part-time

Pros

Great co workers, opportunity to move jobs with in the store

Cons

management, scheduling, not very helpful with problems with in the store

"If you don't like it we've got 10 people to replace you."

Current Employee - Associate in Mattoon, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Mattoon, IL

I have been working at Rural King part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good coworkers,customers are fun. time off requests usually easy to get.

Cons

No balance between real-life and work-life, no consideration given to scheduling NO SOP what-so-ever. Management inconsistent (bi-polar?) No training in any dept. Low pay. No loyalty. Product quality poor, full time hours impossible to get yet they keep hiring.

For a company so big I have never seen such poor treatment and inconsideration of the employees.Lowpay, lack of raises, working conditions (I've never see people who work inside have to wear coats to run a cash register )Store climate should be comfortable, if not for us you'd think at least for the customers. High turn-over doesn't seem to be a concern with this company,nor the way employees are made to feel totally replaceable; even if they do a good job they're not rewarded with any loyalty or respect. The only solution for not agreeing with the policy or the scheduling of the moment is to move on because " if you don't like it we've got 10 people to replace you".

No way to make any decent money.

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Rural King full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits offered, vacation after 1 year.

Cons

No training what so ever. You only get what you learn on your own so be prepared to find out how things work on your own. Train yourself basically.

No room to advance if you won't move away.

run for the woods

Current Employee - Management in Mattoon, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Mattoon, IL

I have been working at Rural King full-time (more than an year)

Pros

it's a paycheck, not a good one but a paycheck none the less.

Cons

management, everyone above store manager level do not listen. even if they appear to be listening it's going in one ear and out the other. they do not fix anything. LOW, LOW pay and beneifts are not all that great. Scheduling is poor from a bad payroll structure that never gives enough hours to do anything other than work freight when it shows up, at all times of the day.

stop making everything harder than it needs to be and listen. some of the best ideas often come from sources other than the corporate powers, like the rank and file.

Pretty good

Current Employee - Cashier in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Rural King part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers are generally great people and are a blast to interact with.
    Co-workers are understanding and enjoyable to be around.
    The store has a lot of inventory so your employee discount is useful.

Cons

Not any room for promotion
    Salary is non-negotiable
    A lot of work for not much pay

Fine experience, but I wouldn't recommend for long term career.

Former Employee - Receiving Manager in Wentzville, MO
    Former Employee - Receiving Manager in Wentzville, MO

I worked at Rural King full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience. I gained experience in a variety of fields within the company. Including Sales, Cash Handling, Shipping and Receiving, etc.

Cons

Pay is NOT very good. I worked with the company for 2 years and except for moving from low sales associate to department manager to receiving manager etc I did not get but a .17 raise. I was a very hard worker and did more than my share at Rural King, but was not "rewarded" for it. That was the normal for everyone, not just specific to me.

Companies that treat their employees with respect and compensate them fairly do VERY well. Just look at Costco. I did not receive very good training for my various positions, although there was never the same way to do things the entire time I was there... Things were constantly changing which is understandable to some degree... I do know that the company was expanding pretty drastically and that there was a lot of things that were changing because of the expansion and finding new and more efficient ways to do things, but still...

An exercise in frustration every single day.

Current Employee - Cashier in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Rural King part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work with a handful of really nice people. I enjoy working with the public and I have some really great regular customers. Also, lots of people bring in their pets.

Cons

Moving up within the company is next to impossible. I've been begging for extra hours or to move into a different department. I was told that there would be some positions coming open and I got passed up for a full time position in another department by a brand new 17 year old employee. I was told it was because they didn't want a female heading that particular department. The break room is disgusting, employees get shorted on their breaks, you are asked to work off the clock, and if you volunteer to come in for a person who has called out sick they cut your hours for the next week. No one ever tells you that you do anything right, but they make it a huge point to complain if you do one single thing wrong, and not necessarily in person. They don't give a second thought to writing you a nasty note and leaving it out for all to see. Buy a new mop bucket. Don't tell employees they must wring out the mops by hand, that is just gross!

Work with your current employees who show interest in moving forward and growing within the company. Don't punish the employees who are willing to work. If someone volunteers to work for a someone who has called out don't take away their hours for the next week and give them to the person who didn't show up. Ensure that employees get their scheduled breaks. Supply the proper equipment to allow employees to perform their duties.

Stay away!!

Current Employee - Department Manager in Martin, TN
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Martin, TN

I have been working at Rural King full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm sorry to say I can't really think of any but jobs are hard to find so I'm spinning my wheels for now.

Cons

Managers treat employees like dirt,show favoritism,talk crap about customers and don't adhere to company policy.
    Pay is way to low for the work they expect from you.

Hire qualified people to run your stores Stop hiring former Wal-Mart employees. There is a reason they are FORMER Wal-mart employees. Stop hiring people and putting them in management just because they are friends with someone in upper management at Rural King. If a employee calls corporate with a complaint or concern about their managers, handle it appropriately.

Good

I have been working at Rural King full-time

Pros

Nice place to work, cool store, great employee prices, real opportunity for advancement. Management will give you time off if you need it and they don't beat up on people.

Cons

low pay, disorganized management, no clear policies- they change a lot.

identify key employees for advancement, have a clearer and more organized method for running the store.

This Company is a Joke !

Current Employee - Former Employee in Monticello, IN
    Current Employee - Former Employee in Monticello, IN

I have been working at Rural King part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of your Co-Workers are Nice, Easy to Get alone with.

Cons

Clueless Store Manager/Assistant Managers. No Air Conditioning. No Room for Advancement. No Raises.

Fix the Air Conditioning. Have enough Floor Coverage to handle Customers. Management, get off your butts and help the Employees. Give good workers raises. Train new Employees for the position they are entering, don't just send them out onto the sales floor clueless.

Rural King Photos

Hamilton, Ohio store front
Circleville, Ohio store front
New store set in beginning process

+ Add Photo