Rural King Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Alex Melvin

Pros
  • Great co workers, opportunity to move jobs with in the store (in 2 reviews)

• Nice place to work, cool store, great employee prices, real opportunity for advancement (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • LOW, LOW pay and beneifts are not all that great (in 7 reviews)

• Turnover rate extremely high- about 75% in the 6 months I've been here (in 3 reviews)

1. rural king

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Henderson, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Henderson, KY

Pros

Excellent co workers, Friendly environment

Cons

Not enough hours, Not enough pay, No benefits

2. Great Starting Point

Former Employee - Head Cashier
    Former Employee - Head Cashier

I worked at Rural King full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great! Easy hours. Employee Discount. Working with the public.

Cons

Management could be lazy. Lack of communication from upper management. Low chances for advancement at store level.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your employees. Offer more incentives to retain the good employees.

Worst company I've ever worked for.

Current Employee - Cashier in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Rural King part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my coworkers, they're honestly the best. I'm 22 and most of the other cashiers are under 21, but I get along with them. Opening shifts are fun and you get out before it starts getting dark outside.

Cons

Management is HORRIBLE. The store manager is rude and obviously doesn't care, or cares TOO much. Other managers don't do anything at all. They do not do anything when you need to talk to them or they talk down to you. 15% as an employee discount? So I can get a dollar drink for .85? Such a big discount! (Sarcasm) I get paid over .25 than minimum wage, and I have multiple bills to pay. Not even full time hours, less than 30 if I get lucky. The one I work at isn't by a bus stop, so I have to walk 30 minutes to a crappy place and be on my feet for 8 hours? The place is a joke.

Advice to Management

Do your job. Help us out, rather than help you out. We work for Rural King, not you. You can help guide us, but be a leader and not just a boss.

5. bad managment

Former Employee - Assembler in Bonita Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Assembler in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at Rural King part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

loved the work i was doing, nice co- workers

Cons

they asked all employees to ask their friends if they wanted a job, but cut my hours to 8 a week, when asked about it i was told had to watch the budget, I said but you want to hire more people and expect them to work 8 hours, good luck.

Advice to Management

learn how to treat your employees, the ones that work hard will be loyal but you don't care.

6. Pay

Pros

Great employees to work with.

Cons

Management tends to talk down about employees to other part time employees, and a high turn over, which puts more work on the management teams, especially when they have nobody but themselves.

7. Dept Mgr pets

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vincennes, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vincennes, IN

I worked at Rural King (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much to say good they are always hiring if you need a job bad enough

Cons

Bad Mgrs dirty places mice and rat infested animals are not taken care of properly

Advice to Management

Take care of your animals in store.

Rural king is a mess

Pros

Part time hours, if you need specific days off you will get no hours.

Cons

Disorganized, got no hours. Unaccounted sales

mechanic

Former Employee - Mechanic in Paris, IL
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Paris, IL

I worked at Rural King (More than 3 years)

Pros

Would not do it unless you need day shift No pros Other than the day shift hours7-4 m-f

Cons

Hard to get parts to compleet repairs, treated like sales clerk not a mechanic Low pay, clueless management

Advice to Management

Mechanics are skilled labor not a floor assocaite or casheer right out of high school. Pay mechanics better

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Rural King full-time

Pros

Fast pace, excellent co-workers, management works with schedules to allow for family time, fair work place. Worker discounts, great opportunity for advancement. Work hard and it will pay off.

Cons

Work is VERY physical, assistants work min 55 hrs a week, corp cuts hrs at the worst times so your left with skeleton crews in a 30 thousand sq ft facility so it's tremendously tiring on EVERYONE. Pay is at the bottom of national scale, amount of pressure put on management is exhausting with very little assistance from corporate to get the projects done in a efficient manner..

Advice to Management

Our management team is fantastic but advice to corporate level, "give more hours to the stores to effectively manage" you have to spend money to make money.! D volume stores have their hands tied to maintain that volume much less to get to C volume, without efficient payroll hours to get the tremendous amount of projects complete and freight flow then costumer service, it makes for an exhausting, frustrating day. Workers are paid min wage and work like dogs!!

11. Mis-management Rural King Warehouse Waverly Ohio

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaver, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaver, OH

I worked at Rural King (Less than a year)

Pros

You actually get a pay check...at least I did.

Cons

Terrible management and all explanations for many good questions and concerns were, "We're a start up facility and this is something we've never down before so just give it time." They tried to start up the warehouse before anyone was trained..at all. It was a terrible situation and finally they had to remove the general manager himself. While this was a step in the right direction, it appears that more pompous, self-centered, and arrogant "leaders" were brought in. Many good employees quit while I was trying to hang in there hoping for a change. If OSHA ever comes looking there way there'll be a huge fine to pay. Enough said.

Advice to Management

The pay is not worth the headache. Seek work elsewhere.

RSS Feed </> Embed