Rural King

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
2.1

Alex Melvin

Pros
  • Get to see dogs and most customers are friendly, though they get upset about the lines and lack of help (I don't blame them) (in 2 reviews)

• Lots of fun co-workers (except management) (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, disorganized management, no clear policies- they change a lot (in 7 reviews)

• Turnover rate extremely high- about 75% in the 6 months I've been here (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working for this company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Coshocton, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Coshocton, OH

I have been working at Rural King full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like my coworkers and management the best. Everyone is friendly and willing to help one another out. I have been in retail for 15 years with different companies and I have to say this is the best that I have worked for.
    I enjoy my job, I learn something new everyday and I actually feel appreciated and valued.

Cons

I don't have any right now!

Keep up the good work! I feel like you actually listen to what the stores are telling you!

Gross mismanagement leads to extremely high turn over and internal shrink.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Vincennes, IN
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Vincennes, IN

I worked at Rural King full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co workers are generally understanding and are willing to help if ever given a chance. Get to meet lots of interesting costumers.

Cons

Management blatantly lies about or simply doesn't know store policies. The pay is extremely low. The store is constantly understaffed. We are often told that if we are not happy we can just leave, they have plenty of people to take your place even though we have 3 empty department managers and an assistant manager position. They repeatedly tell you to buy into the store share program while at the same time cutting hours. Was constantly reminded of $1000 "whistle blower" bounty on stealing associates.

The management has a habit of talking down to you in a condescending matter if you have any question and seem to refuse to use basic logic (I've been told to use a 24ft plan-o-gram for a 16ft piece of steel simply because it was "newer" than the 16ft plan-o-gram). Was once told in morning meeting before annual evaluations that we "are not to speak to other employees about their pay." and that I "need to worry about your own pay."

Working conditions are horrible, warehouse has gone almost entire winter without heat, I don't believe the AC has ever worked back there. The break room isn't heated or cooled. When the store ACs do work, they often freeze over than start leaking into the building. We just now got internal foyer doors, before the service desk had to rig a cardboard barrier to keep the frigid wind out. The newly install internal doors don't work, often getting jammed open or refusing to open. The eyewash station's check tag still says Wal-Mart with the last legible date being 1994. Many of the fork lift's safety features do not work. (the back-up alarm, rotating caution light, brake and tail lights, and seat belt do not work). One truck has turned over and is clearly visibly damaged.

Contrary to what you want to believe, the most important people at Rural King is not the costumers it's your employees. If you treated them with a modicum of respect and maybe paid them more than minimum wage, you might not see the insane amount of internal shrink and turn over that you do. In the past 2 weeks alone you lost 1 assistant manager and 3 department managers not to mention the several part-timers you lost as well.

WARNING

Former Intern - Gun Sales in Crystal River, FL
    Former Intern - Gun Sales in Crystal River, FL

I worked at Rural King as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Employee can purchase stock in the company. Fellow employees are great.

Cons

All part time at minimum wage, only management is full time. The equates to a total earning potential of about $8000 per year, most work 2 jobs.Work is up to 30 hours per pay sometime 5 to 6 days, every day a different shift. Bare Concrete floors, dogs allowed (you clean up after not customer) Asst. managers are mean spirited and will embarrass you in front of customers. Most are former Wal Mart people and lack even the basic managerial skills, very anti employee. There is little or no training and you are just a body with no value, chance of advancement is slim purely entry level high school job NOT a career move. Most work here because there are NO other jobs available.

Treat your people with value and respect for a good job.Hire QUALIFIED management not former Wal Mart people that couldn't cut it there. The employees ARE your business treat them as a valued asset.

Run away!

Current Employee - Lead Cashiere in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Cashiere in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Rural King

Pros

co workers AND customers are a joy to work with; it's like your family away from your actual family

Cons

management and co-workers are the worst

make sure you are hiring actually qualified people for management. There are some managers that should not be in that position!

Negative Ungrateful Work Environment

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Rural King full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus structure, competitive pay, stock purchase plan (employees only), hands on leadership, 50 hour work week, ability to lead

Cons

Negative leadership, constant change in hierarchy provides no consistency in direction, always wanting more, encouragement to buy into stock plan comes more as an order than a suggestion, no job security, micro management, company phone must be on you and on at all times

Appreciate your people for what they do, they're helping build the company just as much as you

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Rural King full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Excellent Bonus
    Good Schedule
    Good Benefits

Cons

No Appreciation
    Change for the sake of Change
    No Stability at Upper Management

great atmosphere to work in, excellent friendly coworkers.

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Rural King full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great company, coworkers, management, friendly customers, many retail items. pet friendly, feels like home atmosphere, customers are always thankful, has excellent sales on items, keeps a lot of stock in inventory, treats customers with kindness.

Cons

a little unorganized at times, some department managers are more about stocking and looks than helping customers. Little training, and if any, to many "chiefs" trying to train you in different ways and contradicting the other ones.

have a closer commitment to stores and more visits. more training for managers.

Run Away and Don't Look Back!

Former Employee - Lead Cashier
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier

I worked at Rural King

Pros

Can't think of one, unless you're into lying your way into management and being drunk and sitting entire shifts out in the break room.

Cons

Would rate this place negative stars if it was an option. The equivalent of what I imagine afterlife in Hades to be.
    Managers play favorites. The favorites are the ones who don't do anything, so if you're lazy, this is the job for you. You'll be a department manager in no time, and if you come in drunk enough times, they'll even make you an assistant manager. This also works if you lack general knowledge of the product.
    Nothing gets done about complaints. Even when they go to corporate. Even when words such as vandalism and harassment are involved as some people witnessed at our store.
    Management will call employees stupid to customers.
    There is a lack of respect to people with disabilities who work there. One such employee was being called stupid by a manager in Huber while she was talking to other employees.
    Basically, this place blows as a whole.

Hire people who know the product and actually work. Hire management who can show respect to people.

Great company, but management not the best.

I worked at Rural King part-time

Pros

Great co workers, opportunity to move jobs with in the store

Cons

management, scheduling, not very helpful with problems with in the store

Sales is all that matters

Current Employee - Associate in Central, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Central, IL

I have been working at Rural King part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many different tasks to prevent boredom and lots of loyal customers.

Cons

Dirty environment, little training and even less safety practices. You'll kill your back with constant lifting. No damp mopping causes dusty push brooming every night.

Minimum wage, no benefits and cutting hours during slower months causes the perpetual turnover of part-timers.

Rural King Photos

Hamilton, Ohio store front
Circleville, Ohio store front
New store set in beginning process

+ Add Photo