Rural King Reviews

Alex Melvin

Pretty good

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Rural King part-time for less than a year

Pros

The customers are generally great people and are a blast to interact with.
    Co-workers are understanding and enjoyable to be around.
    The store has a lot of inventory so your employee discount is useful.

Cons

Not any room for promotion
    Salary is non-negotiable
    A lot of work for not much pay

Fine experience, but I wouldn't recommend for long term career.

Former Employee - Receiving Manager  in  Wentzville, MO
    Former Employee - Receiving Manager in Wentzville, MO

I worked at Rural King full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience. I gained experience in a variety of fields within the company. Including Sales, Cash Handling, Shipping and Receiving, etc.

Cons

Pay is NOT very good. I worked with the company for 2 years and except for moving from low sales associate to department manager to receiving manager etc I did not get but a .17 raise. I was a very hard worker and did more than my share at Rural King, but was not "rewarded" for it. That was the normal for everyone, not just specific to me.

Companies that treat their employees with respect and compensate them fairly do VERY well. Just look at Costco. I did not receive very good training for my various positions, although there was never the same way to do things the entire time I was there... Things were constantly changing which is understandable to some degree... I do know that the company was expanding pretty drastically and that there was a lot of things that were changing because of the expansion and finding new and more efficient ways to do things, but still...

Good

I have been working at Rural King full-time

Pros

Nice place to work, cool store, great employee prices, real opportunity for advancement. Management will give you time off if you need it and they don't beat up on people.

Cons

low pay, disorganized management, no clear policies- they change a lot.

identify key employees for advancement, have a clearer and more organized method for running the store.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This Company is a Joke !

Current Employee - Former Employee  in  Monticello, IN
    Current Employee - Former Employee in Monticello, IN

I have been working at Rural King part-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of your Co-Workers are Nice, Easy to Get alone with.

Cons

Clueless Store Manager/Assistant Managers. No Air Conditioning. No Room for Advancement. No Raises.

Fix the Air Conditioning. Have enough Floor Coverage to handle Customers. Management, get off your butts and help the Employees. Give good workers raises. Train new Employees for the position they are entering, don't just send them out onto the sales floor clueless.

Good local company

Former Employee - Warehouse Fork Lift Operator  in  Mattoon, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Fork Lift Operator in Mattoon, IL

I worked at Rural King part-time for more than a year

Pros

Close to home, they promote from within.

Cons

Can be long hours and weekends

Thank goodness for most of my co-workers!

I worked at Rural King for more than a year

Pros

Time goes quickly, mostly good co-workers. Have learned a lot. Enjoy animals being able to come inside.

Cons

Lousy pay. Corporate doesn't send info down to us peons. Crumby, non user-friendly, software programs throughout!!! Obviously bought from the cheapest bidder! Never have questionnaires to assess employee satisfaction/disatsifaction!! Could use some talented BUYERS!

Try having some professional questionnaires created that would give you a look at the STORE LEVEL issues and ideas. I think you're living in your ivory towers, at your computer desks too much. Kinda wonder how efficiently some of the monies are spent...see a lot of STUPID WASTE being made due to ridiculous 'corporate' decisions.

Not a Corporation, more like a circus

Current Employee - Assembler  in  Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Assembler in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Rural King full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm receiving the 40hr week I was promised.

Cons

The management is abnormally large headed. Some I feel have interpersonal problems and can't deal with it alone without being rude, socially demeaning, and pushy, most go about their day without a moral compass.

management
                   find a job that you can do all the tasks and requirements of for your job title because you are lacking the Skills required for your job. I do my job well can you say the same?? If the answers is yes-100%, your in denial

Not the best or the worst

Former Employee - Head Cashier
    Former Employee - Head Cashier

I worked at Rural King part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved all my coworkers and we had a great time together. The assistant manager who was promoted to manager while I worked there was great! He knew what he was doing, knew customers were before everything else and could have a good time. He was promoted and after that, things changed.

Cons

I was there for two years and had 4 different store managers. This causes instability in the work place. Also, I was promoted to head cashier where I basically was a supervisor of cashiers, training and dealing with the money and received a ton more responsibility but no raise. (The say getting more hours is the pay raise), a lot of bad politics in this place.

Care more about your employees than making a quick dollar. Working every single holiday except Christmas causes resent towards the company. Also, consider compensating those who work hard for your company instead of collecting the paychecks yourself.

AWFUL. absolutely terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Pets Department Sale Associate  in  Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Pets Department Sale Associate in Evansville, IN

I worked at Rural King part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the co-workers are incredible and the managers that move up from dept heads within the store.

Cons

they don't pay you anything. the salaries they have on here are complete lies. you don't get paid enough to live off of unless you're the GM. you don't get raises, you don't move up barely, if at all, the company DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOTTTTT care about you. I worked there for over 3 years. I started as a cashier then after 7 months was moved to the Pets Dept. I loved what I did. I love that I knew the product. I loved that I could help others out, but every store is mouse and cockroach infected!!! it's nasty and corporate doesn't give a damn... they have awful loss prevention in the store. almost every store has a 100% turnover rate. I'm not joking. I'm not being dramatic. I'm serious. I stayed there because the people are so amazing and I loved being comfortable knowing what I was doing. but I over 300% DO NOT recommend this place unless you are so desperate for money. but just know you won't get paid squat.....

your employees are the heart of your store. make sure you treat them with respect or you'll get no where. employees run yor store.

TURN AROUND NOW WHILE YOU CAN.

Former Employee - Pets Department Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Pets Department Sales Associate

I worked at Rural King part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very few cons and none of them have to do with the company. The co-workers there are like a family. I adored my co-workers because we worked at such a terrible and hopeless place that the only thing he truly had was each other.

The only other Pro I possibly have, is that I was very good at my job! I was hired in a cashier and after 7 months moved to the Pets Dept. I have very good at being a cashier and I loved the Pets Dept. I loved that I knew what I was doing, I knew what I was talking about, and the fact that I could not only help in other dept. as well as my own just as good as everyone else because I had been there so long was comforting and it's very sad that the only pros most of the people have who have reviewed on this site have NOTHING to do with the company. it's pros that they have had to make themselves because the franchise is run so awfully.

Cons

Very few people actually move up in this company and if you do, you move up within your whole store. if you so somehow move up, I'll tell you that if you plan to make a career or a living at Rural King you are sadly mistaken. The pay is awful!!! at every location you go too. The salaries on this site are a joke! you'll never make above 8 dollars unless you work there until you die which would have to be 50+ years or more!! I started at minimum wage almost 4 years ago and only got a 25 cent raise. this has NOTHING to do with my work ethic. NO ONE gets a good enough raise or one that they deserve. I am a hard worker and one of the hardest at my store and my co-worker would tell you the same. I'm 5'1 and weigh no more than 120 lbs and I'm pulling those large pet skids all the way across the store. throwing bags that weigh have of me onto skids taller than I'll ever be. it keeps you in shape, that's for sure, but it's too much work to get paid as little as I did. Rural King is a job for those in quest of another job. I wouldn't bank on starting a life or career out of this place because it won't do you any good. Truly...

The employees, no matter who you are or where you go, are the heart of your store. If your employees aren't happy then your store won't be either. They need to have a serious look at who runs this company and who they hire to be the managers, general managers, regional, and district managers because someone needs a serious reality check to what they put their workers through.

Rural King Photos

Hamilton, Ohio store front
Circleville, Ohio store front
New store set in beginning process

+ Add Photo

Worked for Rural King? Contribute to the Community!