Rural/Metro

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
1.7

Michael P. DiMino

Pros
  • If you hate your life and want to be miserable, this is a great place to work (in 4 reviews)

• If you're an EMT and make it into aurora you can get a lot of good experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Onondaga Office) have no clue of the human condition, and need better social skills (in 3 reviews)

• Mandatory overtime at the behest of inept dispatchers, and low staffing levels (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

crew chief

Former Employee - Crew Chief in Youngstown, OH
    Former Employee - Crew Chief in Youngstown, OH

I worked at Rural/Metro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offer a lot of educational opportunities

Cons

Rule enforcement different for different people

Livable wages

Bye, bye Monopoly! AMR, Mesa, and Surprise about to take you out!

Former Employee - Administrative in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Rural/Metro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with a lot of amazing field crew employees which is one of the reasons I stayed so long.

Cons

Where to start.. First of all, the pay was horrible. Middle and upper Management made their own rules, and never followed policy or state regs. Don't even get me started on HR. They are by far the worst out of all management! Most of them are Micromanaging and inconsistent with their field crews. Especially HR. When it came to DHS visits, they would stock the trucks to pass inspection and pull items from the trucks when they left. The trucks were always breaking down, most of the time leaving crew members stranded. One of the few "benefits" RM offered are new uniforms for the crews. Pricing was always inconsistent and marked up, and consistently changed to cover "other" costs. There is so much MORE to list! I just don't have a whole lot of time to waste anymore energy on this company, other than to sit back and watch it get shut down for shady business practices. Oh, and one last thing.. Thank God AMR was finally able to get their CON!! Maybe that will humble this company just a little bit.

First off, Try treating your employees with a little respect. Stop bullying your employees and maybe they will in turn not write nasty reviews like this one. Also, you can start by getting rid of management that always wants to do things their way. Make sure you validate and appreciate your employees as well. Most people I talk to including former employees say the same thing. You don't VALUE us at all. We work 40 plus hours sometimes more to make you money and there is no gratitude for that. Everyone knows we don't get into this field and expect to make a ton of money. It's not about that. It's all about PT care, And the love for the job. You make it hard for any of us to do that and love it because how bad we are treated. Ponder on that for a minute. Now you know why AMR got their contract because DHS wants nothing more than to see Rural Metro's (Mesa, AZ) monopoly go away.

Good place to start out

I have been working at Rural/Metro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good experience to start off, hires fresh out of school, great area to work

Cons

pay sucks, especially for 24 hour trucks. not much room to move up. management has their favorites

treat your employees better and pay better

could have been better

Current Employee - Billing Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Billing Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Rural/Metro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have pretty good benefits

Cons

Management didn't seem to have their stuff together. Takes forever to get an answer for anything, if you are not part of the management team.

You need to listen to your employees and dont just tell them what you think they want to hear. Your evaluation system is no good, along with your merit systems.

Stable work, management clueless.

Current Employee - Paramedic in Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at Rural/Metro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience, and some great co-workers. Lack of staffing, while stressful, does make for great experience.

Cons

Management has no idea what the field crews actually need/want. Constant policy changes and rules without explanation cause grief constantly.

Get more in touch with your field employees and you will get the results you complain about not getting.

Firefighter

Current Employee - Firefighter in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Firefighter in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Rural/Metro full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great group of employees to work with (Fire), Benefits are good. Work schedule is second to none, Ten 24 hour shifts a month (Fire), various opertunities for overtime.

Cons

Lack of direction for growth, management fails at providing adequate services to their customers and the employees, equipment is out dated.

Take the time to listen and learn from those who work the streets. They hear the concerns of your customers, and could provide you with an invaluable wealth of information on solving those concerns. Invest yourself to work with your employees and not against them. Strive to make your company's legacy honorable and its reputation impeciable.

Out of touch management/disheartened crew.

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Arvada, CO

I have been working at Rural/Metro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They'll hire just about anyone and it's just about impossible to get fired. If you're an EMT and make it into aurora you can get a lot of good experience.

Cons

Management has a complete disconnect with its employees. They place they're business model ahead of patient care and advocacy. Everyone is unhappy, and the turn over rate is astronomical.

Work on employee retention.

Southwest Ambulance/Rural Metro/PMT = One Company

Current Employee - Paramedic in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Rural/Metro full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love my job, I love what I do, I love the independence and the hours. Great for networking.

Cons

There is a better way. The Company is just not interested in it. Its all about the all mighty buck. What they do not care to realize is that happy employees make for harder workers. This Company would rather spend a million dollars fighting in court to not pay a half a million dollar bill.

Listen to what your employees are saying.

If you are looking to be abused, overworked, underpaid, and unwelcome in your own workplace, RM is the place for you!

Current Employee - Paramedic
    Current Employee - Paramedic

I have been working at Rural/Metro full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Getting your head kicked in every shift is one way to get experience in EMS. You have to become adaptable, because you never know when your ambulance will break down, or when critical supplies will be mysteriously "back ordered." If you do your job well, the only time you ever hear from management is when "you all aren't taking this seriously" in passive aggressive emails. This has been a great place to learn how to do everything wring as a manager, but still skate by because the workforce is dedicated to their calling, rather than actually leading the organization. Your next job will feel amazing when you finally get out!

Cons

The onboarding process is mostly focused on what the corporate office thinks you should do, which often has very little to do with your actual job. Training for new hires is getting thrown to the sharks. Work-life balance is a joke. Most employees have to work significant overtime to afford rent, get held over regularly, and even get mandatory callbacks because corporate has restricted the overtime algorithm so much that employees that want to work don't get awarded the shifts. Management loves to reinterpret the CBA to suit them, institute new policies, give out discipline for their own failed communications (last summer 150+ employees received discipline because management's email system loses emails constantly, and subsequently [literally] didn't get the memo about some BS training). Pay stinks, benefits get worse every year, and your first line supervisors are even more burned out and abused than the line staff, which means you get the fuzzy end of the lollipop constantly. There is no career ladder here, so don't plan on working up and out of the streets. Ever. Even promoting from EMT to medic means a pretend raise. I got a 3 cent raise when I made medic. Literally. Three pennies an hour more. So there's that, which is nice.
    A coworker wisely wrote this:

"I show up to work. I clock in and read net scheduler and get threatened. Then I immediately catch attitude from dispatch about getting into service. My shift time is 8-20, at 0801 we get test pages and at 0810 they start hitting you up on the radio about your status. You get a post and you're on your way. Then you get dispatched. You arrive on scene to catch attitude from the engine crew about where you parked. You get the pt, and they hate you, then you get attitude from the radio nurse, then you get to the hospital and get attitude from the nurse at hospital. Then you radio for a bed delay and catch more flack. Then the supervisor gets involved and you need to supply a dissertation as to why the hospital cant get you a bed right away. And then you get dispatched while the pt it still on the gurney...... It's never ending..."

Yep. That's the story.

I can't even start on values and corporate culture. If it doesn't make them more money, they aren't going to do it, but they'll tell the workforce "we're looking into it" or abjectly lie. These are some greedy sonofaguns.

Quit the business. Seriously, don't go away mad, just go away.

It's obvious you couldn't care less about your employees, so just stop the charade. It'd be easier to just be enemies. For both of us.

Over worked and unappreciated.

Former Employee - Paramedic/Medical Coder in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Paramedic/Medical Coder in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rural/Metro full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A pay check and making friends. Lots of opportunities for overtime.

Cons

Unrealistic productivity requirements. Poor training and minimal time to learn a very complicated, constant rule changing insurance system.

Stop constantly changing rules in the employee handbook. Show some loyalty to long time employees. I was laid off after dedicating my life for over 27 years of employment and discarded like a new employee.