Rush Enterprises

Updated January 12, 2015
Updated January 12, 2015

Rush Enterprises Chairman of the Board, President and CEO Rusty Rush
Rusty Rush

Great ompany to grow with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at Rush Enterprises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rush is a company I would recommend to my closest friends, and I find myself telling everyone who will listen how much I love my career at Rush. The company is growing and it’s a great time to get in these doors. You can go anywhere in any field, they love to recruit from within. I love how they are military friendly and in so many different cities across the US, that if you did have to move you could stay with the company.

Cons

It’s a big company that is run like a small company. Companies this size should be a front runner in the industry but sadly the software and processes we use are well behind industry standards. Also the cost of healthcare is well above what it should be, other benefits are great though, stock purchases and vacation time are amazing.

Review health care cost and give the day after Thanksgiving off.

Truck Sales

Current Employee - Truck Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Truck Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Rush Enterprises

Pros

Great people willing to make coffee for you!

Cons

Management has extensive knowledge of the industry but have no people skills! I was provided two days of training and was told sink or swim with no data base to call on. Cold call all the way and they didn't even tell me to do that. They play favorites to the employee who appears to be making the most cold calls!

Give your new additions your personal time to give quality advice so that your new hires don't have to rely on their coworkers! It is your responsibility to train!!!! My manager was unable to teach me much.

High pace environment with 100% focus on being #1

Former Employee - Administrative Support in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rush Enterprises full-time (less than a year)

Pros

401K Match is more than competitive; Stock purchase option plan is great. Work/life balance is generous as well as PTO plans.

Cons

Company is too focused on being #1, and has lost sight of what should be regarded as the highest asset......its employees. There is little direction and communication and virtually no training. Employees are expected to adapt, and as a result leadership is poor. This is demonstrated by the number of key employees at dealership level who have left the organization in the last 6 months.

Listen to employee concerns. What works in one region may not necessarily be the best business decision for another. Merging company cultures is difficult at best. Employees need more support; more positive feedback, need to feel as if they belong to a team, not just a company.

Working for Rush is very enjoyable.

Current Employee - Receptionist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rush Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Rush compensation is fantastic. The 401k match is outstanding and increases once you have been at the company for 5 years!

Cons

The biggest drawback is very little feedback from management. I have been at the company long enough that the company has trust in me and I am allowed to handle things on my own with little comments from the management.

I only have one thing for the management ; feedback would be preferred; either positive or negative

Great company1

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Rush Enterprises as a contractor

Pros

Management and coworkers were great.

Cons

Training is not great. Employees are on temporary status for sometimes over a year.

Good Company

I have been working at Rush Enterprises

Pros

Take care of technicians and sales men,

Cons

Resistant to change and innovation, poor communication with line employee needs and inconsistent financial management

improve employee morale, location decor and modernize the office,

A waste of time.

Former Employee - Truck Sales Representative in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Truck Sales Representative in Fontana, CA

I worked at Rush Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you need a job. They'll hire you

Cons

On the west coast sales people are missing out. All the dealerships from other parts pay a base salary plus commission.

Become a leader. Don't let the Peterbilt brand be the end all attitude to the customer.

RUSH is a verb. Everyone works really hard and takes pride in what they do. It's intense, with a conservative culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Rush Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They are an established leader in the industry and there was a lot of job security even when times were rough for the trucking industry. When they acquire new locations they try and keep all the staff and keep morale high. They give annual raises and have a good benefits plan and really wonderful HR staff. The pay is decent for most and very good for manager/executive level staff.

Cons

They are a little behind the times and sometimes still operate like a small family business rather than a multi-billion dollar company. It takes along time to get extremely important things done because staff is always "putting out fires" (working on projects that should have been requested much sooner). They need more oversight and damage control at the store level to maintain a good reputation and need to hire more people at corporate. Many are burnt out and overworked.

Read the negative comments from customers on your social media and respond publicly, immediately to make it right. Make the business decision and set up the infrastructure to sell parts and accessories online. Hire more people at corporate and work on morale at corporate. HR is trying but VPs and managers need to make employees feel heard and valued. Give credit where credit is due.

Too much growth and change can make it difficult for a company to feel successful

I worked at Rush Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits, hard working people

Cons

lack of communication, exponential growth of company, managment out of touch with employees and not enough training, no career advancement, too much happening at once, no clear company goals communicated to employees, no employee annual reviews

slow down acquistions and get SAP fully implemented and working

Overall a great place to be.

I have been working at Rush Enterprises full-time

Pros

Extremely successful organization; mindful of need to continuously improve. Pay is better than most, benefits are good, and organization seems to truly care about employees.

Cons

Company experienced extreme growth by acquisition over a short period of time. As a result, leadership seems a little lost; de-centralized locations experience some disorder; communication overall is lacking as well.

Need leadership and ll management to understand the value of team-work, and perpetuate it. More communication and informatoin sharing between all areas.