Rush University Medical Center

Updated December 22, 2014
3.5

Rush University Medical Center President Larry J Goodman
Larry J Goodman

Pros
  • The benefits are good and you can find a great doctor, close to work, if you need one (in 8 reviews)

• When they say work-life balance, they mean it, so it's pretty easy to schedule time off (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary compared to other places (in 5 reviews)

• slow turn over on upper management so so hard to get promoted (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Doctor

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center

Pros

Nice place to work. Very good

Cons

Sometimes the hospital can fill up quickly

Great place to work in an academic medical center

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center

Pros

-Located in a world class medical facility
    -Peers are driven to suceed

Cons

-Can be stressful at times like any other employment

Keep up the great work engaging employees!

I really enjoy my work

Current Employee - Research Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a good environment for career growth and development. Rush University has a wide variety or healthcare graduate programs and as an employee most of your tuition is covered. Most of the programs here encourage employees' educational pursuits through mentoring, scheduling, etc. I have worked in several departments and each of my managers made a point of teaching me new skills and were supportive of my development and growth. Overall, excellent patient care is the first priority of every employee, as it should be. When they say work-life balance, they mean it, so it's pretty easy to schedule time off. The benefits are solid and if you get your healthcare here, they are also reasonably priced.

Cons

They threaten to close programs and eliminate jobs here so frequently, it is hard to feel loyal or secure. The programs and departments are all pretty separate which often complicates procedures and policies. Campus wide, the position titles and grades should be more consistent.

Those at the highest levels of management do not seem very interested in the rest of us. (Although this is slightly better than it was a few years ago.) Please try to be more engaged. As much as career development is valued at Rush, career advancement within the institution is hard to accomplish. We lose a whole lot of really good people because of that. Can you put in place a better system for this? If someone gets a new degree or certification or a promotion, shouldn't they go up a grade or two?

review

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center

Pros

Personal growth, proffesionalism, great environment

Cons

compensation, work life balance, distance

Former Employee - Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rush University Medical Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of knowledgeable and pleasant staff in the department willing to share their knowledge. Overall positive atmosphere to work in which was appreciated.

Cons

Dated facilites are slowly being renovated and addressed, but can be a challenge in the meantime. New hospital addition is beautiful.

You'll get there

I worked at Rush University Medical Center full-time

Pros

Brian is great, don't let him get away

Cons

too many managers that are clueless about critical network issues

You're burning out your resources

Quality

I worked at Rush University Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some great teams who truly care about the patients and the quality of care that is provided. Beautiful new hospital building.

Cons

Very low salary. No incentive for employees to think outside of the box or problem-solve. My particular area had an astronomical rate of employee turnover with very little response from leadership to address the culture issues.

Encourage an open dialogue between staff at all levels to promote a culture of continuous improvement.

Plain and Simple

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful Campus, very friendly staff.

Cons

Nothing that I know of. Maybe an expensive cafeteria!

Excellent environment to work within healthcare and specifically academic medicine.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rush University Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, freedom to pursue any and all interests, plus tons of opportunities for career and professional development. Great work-life balance and benefits.

Cons

Challenges are characteristic of all large healthcare institutions, at times its difficult to drive results to do a bureaucratic structure.

No hopes of a future

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rush University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was my first job out of college. It was good enough and provided health benefits. It fostered a learning environment. Also a learning environment to get my butt out of the door.

Cons

There was so much red tape. Things were not efficiently and effectively done.

PhD candidates were only paid quarterly and even the upper management would be 4 weeks late on their stipends.

People were sad to be around. They didn't change their career goals but accepted poor pay for the amount of work performed. I felt that the environment was toxic. The professors had so much to worry about (employee fringe benefits, budget cut backs, etc). It was a very stressful situation.

Vacation time was extremely poor because you still needed to take vacation time for federal holidays because the hospital does not divide the research division from the hospital division. Employees were overworks. It was not conducive to producing research under a name that couldn't even take care of us.

Take care of your staff and they'll be happier.

Office culture is extremely poor. While more money was being thrown into the hospital, more money was being taken away from research.

Rush University Medical Center Photos