Russ Reid

Tom Harrison

24 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Shocked

I worked at Russ Reid

Pros

Helping the homeless find food and shelter during the holidays.

Cons

Too many politics. Many people that work there are related or referred. Poor training. I had my Employee Orientation after 2 months.

No checks and balances on job performance. More supervisor training and evaluation by subordinate is (when under fire) needed. Unprofessional treatment of co-workers provide a stressful and hostile environment.

Good experience with Direct Mail but get ready to suck up

Former Employee - Client Services in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid

Pros

* Powerhouse when it comes to direct mail for nonprofits
    * Some genuinely good coworkers who are passionate about their job and helping nonprofits
    * Awesome clients

Cons

* Machine. Lower levels get treated like workhorses while upper levels sit in meetings all day.
    * Management seems to value sucking up and over hard work and dedication.
    * If you're on the client services side of things, don't expect to be able to give much creative input.
    * Some poorly trained supervisors.

* Allow lower levels to have some input in creative/planning meetings.
    * Don't just preach about work life balance, provide it.
    * Better qualified supervisors and leadership who are not just trying to prove themselves.
    * Listen more to the needs and desires of your clients instead of trying to shove the "Russ Reid" proven way down their throats.

The current outlook is that of the Titanic.

I worked at Russ Reid full-time

Pros

The company encourages a good work-life balance.

Cons

The company has exceptionally poor upper management, few growth opportunities if you aren't ready to play the political game, and persistent religious undertones within the workplace even when not actually dealing with clients.

Management needs to be changed with individuals who understand the current and anticipated non-profit landscape and who have a fresh perspective.

This company cannot manage its greatest assest--its people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I made wonderful friendships that will last a lifetime and had one incredible mentor that changed my life. But these were exceptions to an overall negative experience.

Cons

The management, who have been there for decades, are lazy, condescending and arrogant. They promote incompetence because of their own incompetence. When they have an issue with an employee, they will never tell the employee to their face, but will go above them to their supervisor. Rarely, if at all, is the employee given enough of an opportunity to change or grow because by the time they hear of the problem, it's too late. Management is already making plans to get them out the door.

I cannot express enough just how much I would warn anyone considering working here. It is not worth it, for any reason. The experience will beat you down, shred your confidence and leave you totally confused about your own abilities. Additionally, the pay is terrible. They are a for profit company. Do not let them tell that you that because they work for non-profits, they can't offer competitive salaries. The executives are making six figures and above. Furthermore, they say they grow their people and want their employees to be happy. I saw very little evidence of that. Most people I knew were miserable and paranoid.

I worked there for a number of years and can't believe it took me this long to free myself. Don't let that be you. Don't go there in the first place. It will destroy your life.

Retire.

Meaningful work, good benefits, low pay, poor balance

I worked at Russ Reid

Pros

Great benefits, lower employee turnover than a typical ad agency, employees are full of heart and passionate about what they do. Semi-flexible hours during the day, or ability to work from home from time to time if necessary.

Cons

Hectic, uneducated clients, lots of women, lots of grads from local Christian universities, poor general work/life balance amongst employees, very Christian environment--almost too much, wish the company was more creative/laid back, not cutting edge advertising, company is very process driven to a fault, insanely low pay for job responsibilities and location, but the company gets away with it because the clients are non profits. There is a large disconnect between promotions/salary increases in half of the company, and very slow promotions in the rest of the agency.

Prove/make clear--often-- to your employees that you truly value their sacrifice and hard work for the agency. Even if it comes to spending your own money to make your colleague feel appreciated.

Extremely Crazy Schedule, No Work/Life Balance

I worked at Russ Reid

Pros

Omnicom Agency
    AEs get up to 3 weeks PTO
    Summer Fridays

Cons

Underlying Christian favoritism, can't prove it- but know it's there
    Over Process Driven. To the point where it's sometimes debilitating. And doesn't render good profits
    Very heirarchial.
    Not very open to growth, unless you're some senior management's "favorite". In which case, all the doors open for you

carefully watch the employees. they work too hard. too fast. and suffer burn-out easily.

Doing good for others sometimes isn't enough.

I worked at Russ Reid

Pros

Fundraising for non-profits, feeling good about helping the clients, knowing you've made the world a better place. The majority of the people are very nice and hard working. When dealing with peers, it can be delightful. There are a lot of really talented people in the lower and middle management areas.

Cons

Depending on what department you are in, there can be terrible internal politics and a general lack of respect. Executive and senior management thinks they're cutting edge but actually sadly behind the curve, majority of "new blood" is brought into the junior accounts areas. Preference seems given to graduates of Azusa Pacific University or Westmont, neither of which are known for their stellar marketing, advertising or fundraising programs.

The top managers who seem the most fair-minded and even-tempered, don't have that much face time with the average employee or aren't empowered to really make change. I've seen some really nasty behavior and tantrums exhibited by a handful of VPs. They undermine and contradict. Somehow the work gets done despite them, not because of them.

There are a lot of faith-based clients, which depending on your own personal faith (or lack thereof) can make working at Russ Reid wonderfully fulfilling or very uncomfortable.

Shopping the local Christian universities can be an asset, especially with the Missions clients. But are these the strongest candidates for the positions? Often very junior people are put in front of clients and they over promise and create a domino effect of problems. Then more experienced people are marginalized or blamed. Hiring for positions with competitive salaries, especially in technology and digital, would save a lot of turnover and upheaval. Assuming that "doing good" is someone's first priority isn't going to keep Russ Reid competitive or ahead of the competition. Also, take a closer look at some of your senior management. Many of you are personal friends which seems to fog true objectivity as to whether those people are helping or hurting the company in the long run.

Standard job, nothing too exciting

Former Intern - Intern in Pasadena, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Easy tasks, doing good work for the community

Cons

Easy tasks are also very boring and repetitive

Cut some of the fat, update IT

God-speak and highly emotional female managers not for me.

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Russ Reid full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Summer Fridays, contributing to work that makes a difference in the world, some really great people.
    Appreciation for the amount of amazing work that goes into what many of us consider "junk mail".

Cons

Too much religious overtone for me.
    Female managers at the highest level bursting into tears to diffuse situations.

Make sure employees understand the diff between being religious and stuffing the religion down the throats of those who may be offended by it.

Great place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Russ Reid full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn, grow and gain experience.

Cons

Long hours and low pay.