Russ Reid

Be The First To
Add Photos

Russ Reid CEO Tom Harrison

Tom Harrison

Good for someone wanting into direct mail marketing

Billing Analyst (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsSize of company what they do for non-profit organizations

ConsNo movement, very hard to move into another position when most people have been with the company for 15 or more years. Making job growth hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand roles and more flexible with pay

Opportunity for the taking

Client Service (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsRuss Reid puts a lot of effort into creating a good company culture and providing a lot of opportunity to learn, especially for entry level employees.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience there, and you can really learn from anyone if you aren't afraid to get at it.

They are realistic about their weaknesses, though sometimes they are slow to act to fix them.

Fun and energetic working environment.

Great clients who do great work. Very rewarding.

If you want to learn multi-channel fundraising, there probably isn't a better place.

Senior management is trustworthy.

Owned by Omnicom.

ConsCertain departments require close supervision and/or hand-holding. To their credit, they are handling a massive amount of clients.

Very process heavy. Sometimes very inefficient.

You could end up reporting to a 23 year-old.

Size. Getting to be too big. Spend enormous amount of resources on new business to hit growth goals, even at the expense of current clients.

Owned by Omnicom.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate directly with employees as much as possible. Boundaries will decay the culture.

A great company doing important work for people in need.

Account Management (Current Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsI've worked at Russ Reid for three years, and have never worked with a smarter - and frankly - nicer, group of people. It's very refreshing to be able to continue my career in direct response marketing, while working with nonprofit organizations that are helping people and changing the world for the better.

ConsYes, we're under a great deal of pressure (and sometimes have to stay late) with tight deadlines and sometimes small budgets, but I believe this adds excitement to my job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meaningful work with wonderful people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to help make a difference in the world everyday working for incredible organizations.

ConsWhile not uncommon in agency life, it is often a pressure cooker and if you're not good at negotiating think twice about this line of work...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening and communicating.

Harassment Central

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros1. Certain departments are great. IT and HR are actually good at their job.
    2. Summer hours
    3. Clients' visions are wonderful. You will be working with non-profit organizations that are really helping out a lot of people.

Cons1. Top-heavy company. Too many high- salaried VPs while the rest of the staff are underpaid
    2. Male chauvinist environment. Top VPs and executives are mostly men. They are known to sexually harass female workers by making inappropriate comments on their clothing.
    3. Verbally abusive. Executives are rumored to verbally harassing employees in front of everyone. A shouting match has been heard many many times. I myself have actually seen people cry when leaving an office. It was awful.
    4. Not tolerant of other people's religion. Very Christian.
    5. Tons of layoffs. The morale is not really good here.
    6. No opportunity for growth. And this is simply because Direct Marketing (print, inserts, etc.) is a dying advertising medium. The digital department consist of one smart guy (plus his staff) but with no technical support. Their system is outdated. If I were a client, I wouldn't hire the team at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the program. Invest in your digital space. Listen to employee's exit interviews.

Glad to be gone

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsThere are a lot of smart and enthusiastic people working here. I worked with some wonderful clients while I was here. I had some fun times at Russ Reid and felt good about the work that I did. Their Commitment to Coworkers standard for employee behavior is refreshing and actually used by many. Company events are great, and so are the summer hours. There are many opportunities for professional development.

ConsThe pay is abysmal for a job that consumes your life. The line that is given you is that since the clients are non-profits, they can't pay more, but after looking into other agencies that serve nonprofits, I learned how untrue that is.

Russ Reid is behind the curve when it comes to the digital space and is slow to embrace new technology and new ideas.

There are layoffs every couple of years. Employee morale tends to be low and you will often find women crying in the stairwell or restroom.

I hated dealing with the office politics at Russ Reid. It is common knowledge that they are slow to promote their employees.

Stay away...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some great people in the SUPPORT departments.

ConsAccount Sups. and above are incompetent. They have gone through rounds and rounds of layoffs over the past couple years but yet just gave five or six of their top executives massive raises. Meanwhile, they will keep their foot on the neck of those below to keep them where they are at. One person is currently doing the work of three or four because of the layoffs.

They say they are in the middle of the pack as far as pay goes with other agencies in LA, this is true for upper management but AE's make around 20k less than others in a similar position.

Overly religious and in your face about it.

DM is a dying medium and the agency is going to continue to struggle.

If you think you are going to RR to make a difference in the world, you are not. You are just filling peoples mail with junk. Want to make a difference, go volunteer.

The current outlook is that of the Titanic.

Pasadena, CA

ProsThe company encourages a good work-life balance.

ConsThe company has exceptionally poor upper management, few growth opportunities if you aren't ready to play the political game, and persistent religious undertones within the workplace even when not actually dealing with clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be changed with individuals who understand the current and anticipated non-profit landscape and who have a fresh perspective.

I was satisfied with the environment and their willingness to accept new, fresh ideas.

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsThe caring working environment is geared to employee satisfaction. One has a chance to impact the world with challenging and meaningful work and clients.

ConsAnalysis and depth of understanding of analysis is a weakness. The top leadership is primarily strong but a few of this group are industry challenged.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not my place.

Great people and benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent employee benefits. Strong emphasis on team building within the company.

ConsPay was just okay. Not too much room for growth outside of client services.

Worked for Russ Reid? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Russ Reid reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Russ Reid CEO Tom Harrison. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Russ Reid employees.