Russ Reid

Updated August 19, 2014

3.1

Russ Reid CEO Tom Harrison
Tom Harrison

All together a good place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Pros

People, people, people. Honestly, its the people that make this place a good place to work.

Cons

Compensation can be tough here. You can be told that you deserve $X amount, but that because of our parent company and restrictions, you are only getting $X.

Great environment, benefits and opportunities

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Everyone you work with is more than willing to help you learn and achieve your career goals. From the moment I started at Russ Reid to over 2 years later, if there is something I do not understand or need more help with, I can count on any fellow employee to help me understand and master the process.

The benefits are great and the opportunities to advance are there as long as you do the work.

Cons

Hours can be long, but the idea of work life balance is pushed by managers.

Great place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Great place to learn, grow and gain experience.

Cons

Long hours and low pay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity for the taking

Former Employee - Client Service  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Client Service in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Russ Reid puts a lot of effort into creating a good company culture and providing a lot of opportunity to learn, especially for entry level employees.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience there, and you can really learn from anyone if you aren't afraid to get at it.

They are realistic about their weaknesses, though sometimes they are slow to act to fix them.

Fun and energetic working environment.

Great clients who do great work. Very rewarding.

If you want to learn multi-channel fundraising, there probably isn't a better place.

Senior management is trustworthy.

Owned by Omnicom.

Cons

Certain departments require close supervision and/or hand-holding. To their credit, they are handling a massive amount of clients.

Very process heavy. Sometimes very inefficient.

You could end up reporting to a 23 year-old.

Size. Getting to be too big. Spend enormous amount of resources on new business to hit growth goals, even at the expense of current clients.

Owned by Omnicom.

Communicate directly with employees as much as possible. Boundaries will decay the culture.

Good for someone wanting into direct mail marketing

Former Employee - Billing Analyst  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Billing Analyst in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Size of company what they do for non-profit organizations

Cons

No movement, very hard to move into another position when most people have been with the company for 15 or more years. Making job growth hard.

Expand roles and more flexible with pay

A great company doing important work for people in need.

Current Employee - Account Management  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Account Management in Pasadena, CA

Pros

I've worked at Russ Reid for three years, and have never worked with a smarter - and frankly - nicer, group of people. It's very refreshing to be able to continue my career in direct response marketing, while working with nonprofit organizations that are helping people and changing the world for the better.

Cons

Yes, we're under a great deal of pressure (and sometimes have to stay late) with tight deadlines and sometimes small budgets, but I believe this adds excitement to my job.

Meaningful work with wonderful people

Pros

You get to help make a difference in the world everyday working for incredible organizations.

Cons

While not uncommon in agency life, it is often a pressure cooker and if you're not good at negotiating think twice about this line of work...

Keep listening and communicating.

Harassment Central

Pros

1. Certain departments are great. IT and HR are actually good at their job.
    2. Summer hours
    3. Clients' visions are wonderful. You will be working with non-profit organizations that are really helping out a lot of people.

Cons

1. Top-heavy company. Too many high- salaried VPs while the rest of the staff are underpaid
    2. Male chauvinist environment. Top VPs and executives are mostly men. They are known to sexually harass female workers by making inappropriate comments on their clothing.
    3. Verbally abusive. Executives are rumored to verbally harassing employees in front of everyone. A shouting match has been heard many many times. I myself have actually seen people cry when leaving an office. It was awful.
    4. Not tolerant of other people's religion. Very Christian.
    5. Tons of layoffs. The morale is not really good here.
    6. No opportunity for growth. And this is simply because Direct Marketing (print, inserts, etc.) is a dying advertising medium. The digital department consist of one smart guy (plus his staff) but with no technical support. Their system is outdated. If I were a client, I wouldn't hire the team at all.

Get with the program. Invest in your digital space. Listen to employee's exit interviews.

Glad to be gone

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Pasadena, CA

Pros

There are a lot of smart and enthusiastic people working here. I worked with some wonderful clients while I was here. I had some fun times at Russ Reid and felt good about the work that I did. Their Commitment to Coworkers standard for employee behavior is refreshing and actually used by many. Company events are great, and so are the summer hours. There are many opportunities for professional development.

Cons

The pay is abysmal for a job that consumes your life. The line that is given you is that since the clients are non-profits, they can't pay more, but after looking into other agencies that serve nonprofits, I learned how untrue that is.

Russ Reid is behind the curve when it comes to the digital space and is slow to embrace new technology and new ideas.

There are layoffs every couple of years. Employee morale tends to be low and you will often find women crying in the stairwell or restroom.

I hated dealing with the office politics at Russ Reid. It is common knowledge that they are slow to promote their employees.

Stay away...

Pros

There are some great people in the SUPPORT departments.

Cons

Account Sups. and above are incompetent. They have gone through rounds and rounds of layoffs over the past couple years but yet just gave five or six of their top executives massive raises. Meanwhile, they will keep their foot on the neck of those below to keep them where they are at. One person is currently doing the work of three or four because of the layoffs.

They say they are in the middle of the pack as far as pay goes with other agencies in LA, this is true for upper management but AE's make around 20k less than others in a similar position.

Overly religious and in your face about it.

DM is a dying medium and the agency is going to continue to struggle.

If you think you are going to RR to make a difference in the world, you are not. You are just filling peoples mail with junk. Want to make a difference, go volunteer.

Worked for Russ Reid? Contribute to the Community!