Russell Cellular

Add Photos

Jeff Russell

Very personal

WSR (Current Employee) Alamosa, CO

ProsCommission is great, contests and also an amazing corporate staff

ConsHealth insurance is a little steep for first year hires

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways have your employees back, because if you watch their back they will do everything they can to help you succeed

Wsr

WSR (Former Employee)

ProsIt's easy and it looks good on your resume. I really have nothing more to say. You learn how to be a telemarketer.

ConsWhere do I begin? Underpaid, never have any inventory, they tell you to place an order for devices you don't have in stock ... the thing is, customers don't want to wait 2 to sometimes 7+ days for their new equipment. They don't promote from within, they are notorious for hiring off the streets. If you don't agree with the store manager or the dsm, you might as well kiss your job goodbye. Bring your concerns to the RSM and they do nothing, so you go above their head, you get wrote up. Try to do the right thing and give a 2 weeks notice and you get fired. Terrible company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDRUG TEST PEOPLE! I know of at least 3 DSMs that come to work high as a kite and on pills! Don't hold previous employees pay!

Doesn't value employees. Jeff Russell should be ashamed.

Wireless Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsEasy job
    Learn sales skills
    Good on resume

ConsPoor pay compared to rest of industry.
    Cut our hours when minimum wage went up 20 cents.
    Gave us a grand opening budget of $200 aka enough to only print flyers. Grand opening i remind you.
    Capped at $10/hr maximum when other companies that do the exact same job, with less responsibilities, start their reps at $11/hr.
    And the commission structure is worse. Don't let them tell you its minimum wage because they pay more commissions like they told me. Trust me, they pay less commission and less hourly.
    Expect employees to drive and market all business.
    Yet they don't trust their employees to do returns, exchanges, discounts, etc..all require a call to corporate which makes the customer wait longer and the employee look bad. Had customers ask why they didn't trust their own employees judgment.
    Required to make 20 calls a day or you won't hear the end of it. Or you will get written up. May as well be at a call center.
    Manager lacked any knowledge of the wireless industry and had to ask us employees simple things.
    Worst selection of accessories.
    Worst premium retailer ive stepped into.
    No security system or cameras could end up very bad for some employees.
    Stay away

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees, stop trying to open a store every day when you don't even take care of your current employees. STOP PAYING CRAP MONEY.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worse chain of command I have ever seen.

Wireless Sales Representative (Former Employee) Malvern, AR

ProsGood to start if you looking for a sales opportunity

ConsLack of care for employees
    Lack of inventory for small town stores
    High price products

Advice to Senior ManagementYou all might wanna have a better "opened door policy"

Jul 10, 2014HR Specialist

Thank you for providing your feedback about your experience with Russell Cellular. All employees are encouraged to contact their manager or the HR department if they have any concerns that need to ... More

Brought up as "if you don't have nice things to say then don't say it"...you should get my hint.

ProsThe company story will make you feel like you can be productive member. The pay scale for sales reps allows entry level individuals an opportunity to earn a living.

ConsIf you are not RSM or above you are highly expendable. Training is horrendous. No support for stores on weekends due to short staffing. Retail Wireless resale is not for everyone and if you cannot up-sell, you won't be with RC long.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. The Russells know what they are doing. They need to find the disconnect between HQ and the stores.

Jul 10, 2014HR Specialist

Thank you for your feedback about Russell Cellular. We pride ourselves on providing employees with a positive work experience the right tools to succeed. You are encouraged to contact your District ... More

Horrible experience. Ex Store Manager.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsNone. This is a horrible company.

ConsWas never valued as an employee. Was terminated so manager could hire a friend. Was lied to on numerous occasions by management. Was ignored by upper management when I requested to discuss situation. Manager spent more time at home than in stores, and when the manager did visit spent more time on personal phone calls than actually working. They attempted to block unemployment claim for "misconduct" which was not and could not be proven, just another lie by the manager.

I've read the company responses to previous posts that suggest contacting the manager. Can't happen as that person is no longer with the company and all but two stores in this market have been closed.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose your stores.

Jul 10, 2014HR Specialist

Thank you for providing feedback on your employment at Russell Cellular. We truly value our employees and strive to make every employee's experience with us a positive one. You are encouraged to ... More

Made better money at McDonald's.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Cottonwood, AZ

ProsI used to like my job before Russell Cellular bought it out. No pros for this place! Should have listened to the reviews and trusted my gut.

ConsHorrible pay. Disrespectful and dishonest management. To much fine print. Outrageous prices. No selection of accessories. To much paperwork everything is electronic these days people. $20 to transfer phone numbers. You have got to be kidding. They have benefits but it cost more than you make. Huge turn over rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementA Verizon retailer that's more expensive than Verizon? Does that really make sense to you? Be competitive with your pay. Be competitive with your prices. Have a selection. Have more inventory. Pay your trainers more than the trainee. I'm expected to train new hires that get paid more? Really?! Are you serious? Be respectful. Have some class. Be honest. Lead by example. Don't tells us how to be show us what you want us to be. Have better insurance rates.

Jul 10, 2014HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Russell Cellular strives to provide the best experience for our employees. Please reach out to your District Manager or the corporate office ... More

Great company!

Wireless Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Stuttgart, AR

ProsRussell Cellular cares about their employees and makes changes based on company survey results.

ConsI truly love my job!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to make changes that benefit us in the stores!

I love working at Russell Cellular!

ProsGenuinely care about and value employees, leading by coaching - not by punishment, make an effort to recognize employees when they excel.

ConsIf you are on the sales side the base pay isn't fantastic, but you can make up for it in commissions. That's just how it is when you are in sales! At least you have some control over how much you make.

Worst job I have ever had! Takes over promising and under delivering to a new level

Wireless Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsIt is an excellent stepping stone into the world of sales for the inexperienced much the same way Mcdonalds is a good introduction into the job world for a teenager.

ConsThey do not offer competitive pay as advertised when I was interviewed I told the district manager my MINIMUM salary requirements and was told that should be no problem. After the horrible hourly wage and hitting every single sales goal the amount is still less then what I was told would be my MINIMUM pay. This job takes micro management to a whole new level I literally had a 30 minute meeting with my district manager where he explained to me if I would have hit my insurance sales goal I could have made an additional 18 dollars that month (yes a whopping additional 18 dollars for the whole month) and he told me this with a straight and serious face I didn't just find this laughable but down right insulting. This is a company that puts zero value in there employes which is quite evident by the lack of training and ridiculous high turn over rate. I was also told there is tremendous opportunity for growth within the company if you call moving cross country to a small population town to receive an incremental dollar an hour pay raise as a store manager then yes there is. In the time I have been here I have seen the sales goals increase and the already laughable commision decrease. Meeting sales quota's for phones and accessories is laughable when there is so little inventory and options. Sure we can order phones but who wants to wait when there are several corporate stores just 15-20 mins away that offer better prices. Russell Cellular hides behind the branding of Verizon in order to attract applicants however the job is nothing in comparison to an actual verizon store. Future applicants be warned this job is nothing as advertised. There is a reason why there is so many negative reviews (many of which are written by store and district managers).

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a competitive pay as you advertise and put some value in your employees. Also take a second look at your business model, holding a clipboard and bombarding a customer with questions is outdated especially in more prominent and educated markets, maybe it works well for small towns but in a modern setting its an absolute failure, customers think it is a joke.

Mar 18, 2014Operations Manager

Thank you for your review of our company! We truly value and appreciate your honest feedback. We encourage you to reach out to the HR department at our corporate office in a professional manner if ... More

Worked for Russell Cellular? Contribute to the Community!