Russell Cellular

Jeff Russell

Great Company

Current Employee - Sstm in Wayland, MI
    Current Employee - Sstm in Wayland, MI

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work Schedule and employees are great

Cons

It can be difficult to properly staff the store.

Nov 4, 2014HR Specialist

Dear Current Employee,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Russell Cellular. We're happy to hear that you are enjoying your work schedule and your fellow employees. It is very
    ... More

Good experience, not worth staying

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Russell Cellular full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The store manager I worked under is amazing. We continuously out sold the rest of our district and did very well for a new store. As I showed my capabilities I was given more work and more trust by my store manager. I would work with her again. It was one of the best parts of that job. In spite of the other problems we faced I very much enjoyed making and maintaining the relationships I had with our customers.

Cons

Our store had crippling technical problems for months and as far as I know it still does. Problems like not being able to make calls from the store, a snail crawl slow at best internet connection that often crashed and many others. Those issues were barely addressed by upper management and we were completely forgotten about by IT. Other problems included a very high turn over. Which lead to meeting many great individuals and many not so great. We had 12 employees under the district manager (dsm). Within the first 6 months of opening 7 of the original 12 quit or were fired and 3 replacements also quit or were fired. By the time I left I was the only original wireless sales rep remaining from the original 9 (the 3 store managers were still there).

Other reviews have mentioned a lack of pay in comparison to other third party retailers. This lead to us losing several wonderful team members because - hey - who doesn't want more pay for their work. I personally had a problem with making the same amount as coworkers who did far less that me and had less experience. I never missed the monthly goal but if you compared when I started to when I quit the difference in goals is astronomical (but the pay was the same). I never saw results from cold calling while working here. A few coworkers did but not many. Low stock is also a big issue. Most customers would rather go to a Verizon office in town than wait. Russell Cellular corporate needs to give approval (even to store managers!) for everything. Expect to spend a long time on the phone everyday with Verizon. Our Verizon account system is quite limited and if you need to do anything besides activating a new line you may need to call in and wait. We don't have an express line to Verizon. We call the same number as customers and wait like customers.

TL;DR
    Low pay for the field
    Increased expectations without increased pay
    Higher management (DSM+) does not seem to value you
    High turn over
    Low stock, long wait time for orders
    Low stock amount of accessories, cases, etc.
    Corporate does not trust you and it is worn on their sleeve

I don't know what management can do. I was very vocal about the problems I thought we had while I worked there. If RC wants to improve maybe they should listen to their employees. I think they hold us (Store managers and Sales reps) at an arms length because of the high turn over. They could really improve the relationships they have with employees who have value, the ones they want to keep. After a few months there is no reason given by corporate to not leave for a higher paying job in the same field.

Great idea, great coworkers, terrible execution, terrible relationship between upper management and the employees SELLING YOUR PRODUCT

Horrible!!!

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good if you are looking for a job without a college degree. This is about it.��

Cons

Was never told that I'd be getting punished for not selling 6+ home solutions every month or possibly fired!!!

District manager is a complete you know what!! And so is the regional sales manager!!

Got passed up as manager after I'd been there for over 3 years and the person that got promoted had only been there for a few months averaging the same exact sales as me! Before they got promoted I was doing everything that was the managers job. Now I'm having to answer all there questions about everything and they are the freaking manager!!!

Always having your district manager over your shoulder watching everything you do and making 20+ calls a day is absolutely annoying especially when you have a store full of customers waiting in line to be assisted.

Having to call in to solutions center every time you have to process a return or exchange is a major inconvenience!!! Also makes you look like you don't know what you are doing in front of your customers!!

This job has taken a toll on my life and my body physically and mentally! I barely have time to do anything I'm constantly worried about meeting my quota on home solutions and constantly stressed out about my job to the point I've had to start taking anxiety medicine!!

If I ever get to leave this hell hole I will never come back. It has completely ruined my life, relationships, and health!!!

STAY AWAY!!!!

Work in our shoes for a week and see if you aren't completely on edge!!

Behind with the times

I have been working at Russell Cellular

Pros

I enjoy the working relationship with my fellow reps. I do enjoy making customers happy, and I do get a real sense of accomplishment from it.

Cons

The pay is a joke. Smaller cellular stores pay significantly more, and the management is pretty poor. I don't understand how some of the managers have the positions they're in.

Put better leaders in place, and be much more competitive with pay. I've gotten better offers, and unless I can make more than what I'm making, I'm going take the jump.
    I don't want to leave, but I have a family to think about.

Oct 27, 2014HR Specialist

Dear Current Employee,
    Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying the team environment we’ve fostered at Russell Cellular and that you are
    ... More

Not a comfortable position.

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Annual Employee Survey: Here is your chance to write an essay about what is or isn't working. Russell Cellular has changed some policies and procedures from the feedback. Appreciate that.

Stores: The store atmosphere is pretty nice. If I didn't have service and went looking for a Verizon phone I would be willing to buy from a Russell Cellular store. There is a system in place for the reps to claim a sale so it doesn't feel like a shark tank.

Cons

Benefits: Benefits for all employees should be the same rate. They have a separate new hire vs tenant benefit enrollment. Due to this it was less to get my own individual plan which defeats the purpose of employee benefits. Now that I have been here 3yrs, they are acceptable prices.

Compensation: The compensation is hourly + commission. Referencing the other reviews its low pay and high turnover. Hardest to cope with. Current average annual income is $28,000 and below even for sales leaders. The company should reinvest in their people. A solution is placing realistic targets that if achieved give you an annual income of $30,000-$32,000 a year.

Regulation: Lots of micro-management and not enough regulation of store managers. The district manager should have certain oversights of the store manager. Store manager roles should be clearly defined and not simply be allowed to delegate everything.

Oct 27, 2014HR Specialist

Dear Current Employee,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that the employee survey is making a positive impact on your employee experience.
    Russell Cellular’s benefits are looked at

Treated like family

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always respectful, always willing to work with your schedule, and always willing to help

Cons

Some customers can be a pain, can't make everyone happy. Doesn't matter what job you have, if it's dealing with the public there are going to be jerks.

I would like to see more promotions from within, I've seen great leaders passed up for outside people who are good at what they do but just don't get the "Russell" way of life.

Dear Current Employee,

Thank you for your review of our company! We truly value and appreciate your honest feedback. We encourage you to reach out to the HR department at our corporate office if
    ... More

Good people. Bad pay. Could be a great company one day.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and owner seem great. They treat employees very well and seem to do their best to make working there good time. They give many chances and understand they are paying bottom dollar but asking for top dollar performance. You can play music and take breaks whenever you want. You don't have to dress like a car salesman (buy you basically are one). Management is like anywhere else if you do your job then they are great and if you are slacking then they are not.

Cons

The pay is absurdly low and had only got lower the longer I been there. Your pay is almost entirely commission based and the targets get raised or changed every 6 months or so. They do not seen to know what they are doing a lot of the time new expect you to perform like a seasoned sales professional. You have to deal with the Verizon people a lot, to, who will blame your store for everything that is wrong with Verizon. They take zero ownership of anyting. You have to deal with terrible second tier stock that is always behind any launch date and got are selling at higher prices than the corporate store but expected to sell like you are a corporate store. Seriously the expectations go up every year but the stock gets worse. You will spend most of your day cold calling people to. They won't call it cold calling for some reason but they run an old school sales floor straight or of Glengary Glen Ross but with polo shirts instead of suits. Also, if it matters to you, they are very religious and don't mind telling you but you won't find that in their ads. Just so you know ahead of time.

It's nice that your are nice people but you don't pay enough or train enough on the things that really help. Employees can't order and sell stock that isnt there. Raise hourly pay and lower the silly commission targets so they are easily understood. It's mystery pay every check-there is as many ways to make a dollar on things as there are plans. Just pay a fair wage. You will attract better workers who really care about the customers instead of just see dollar signs or just there because they don't want to work at McDonald's.

Dear Current Manager,

Russell Cellular appreciates the feedback you've provided as it will allow us to improve our current practices. We encourage you to reach out to the HR department at our

NO STARS!!

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Representative

I have been working at Russell Cellular full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not many...I like the people I work with. Being able to have a concession line($30 cell phone bill)...flexible schedule...also you can take alot of breaks when it isn't busy.

Cons

I think I need to have a numbered list for this...
    1. DECEPTIVE-- I have been making same hourly rate for 1 year. At my 6 month mark when I should have gotten a .50 raise they changed company policy and knocked the hours down to 37.5 instead and gave EVERYONE the same rate of .50 increase so it wasn't even a raise it was the same amount of money!!! And the .50×37.5= the 2.5 hours they cut from us. A raise would have consisted of keeping hours the same and giving .50 not lowering...so people thst have worked here for 6+ months make the same amount as a NEWHIRE!!!
    2. INVENTORY-- the inventory in the store is the bare minimum accessories. There are no added extras or choices for the customers. We are required to sell $55 average, most phones we have in stock do not even have otterboxs in the store. When we do have a case for the customer there is only two choices black or gray and white. We only have one item in the store that is over $50 but yet we are expected to sell $55 per phone. There are no accessories for basic phones except chargers. Also I often loose sales because we don't have the phones in stock that customer requests and when you order it takes 2-7 days and alot of customers don't want to wait, they want instant gratification.
    3. COMMISSION-- The commission here has just gone down hill. There used to be device bonuses on most devices and now it is small ones on edge only. Double commission used to happen monthly now it is very hard to obtain. Went from $1000 in monthly commissions to $500 in a matter of a few months because they completely changed the way they pay us. In my opinion they know exactly what they are doing and they are setting goals and targets so they don't have to pay out as much. I think this company has gotten greedy.
    4. TARGETS-- They have changed targets so much it's hard to keep up with. They up them every 3 months...there is no difference in targets between a small store and a large store and that needs to change because a small store can't make all the goals that other high traffic areas can. Also the targets to make a monthly bonus have gone up tremendously I used to get the $100 or $125 monthly now it's just a thing of the past. Targets have gone up and my money has gone down.
    5. VACATION AND PTO-- very little vacation and pto given...and they prorate it so it's hard to understand. Worked here over a year and not even a 7 day vacation....
    6. UPPER MANAGERMENT-- I have never felt more under valued than I do at this company. If you go to management with your concerns they just listen but nothing is ever done. There has been several occasions where serious concerns were told to them and nothing was done to correct the situation. So yes they listen but they don't HEAR...
    7. PERSONAL EXPERIENCE-- I DO NOT FEEL VALUED AT THIS COMPANY

Make the employees feel like they are valued not " if u can't do it we can find someone who will".. From what ive seen the morale in this company is getting worse. If something is not changed soon alot of great employees will go find something better with a company that isnt so greedy....stop opening stores everyweek and pay attention to your clearly unhappy employees before you run yourself into the ground. Also I think that The DSM needs to work one month in every store and see if they are able to reach the targets they have set for us.

SIGNED UNHAPPY EMPLOYEE

Sep 8, 2014

Dear Current Employee:

Thank you for your feedback! At Russell Cellular, we always want to hear from team members regarding their experience with the company. We encourage you to reach out to
    ... More

Horrible company to work for

I have been working at Russell Cellular

Pros

Loved the customers. They were the best part of the whole thing. Building that connection with them made it worth it.

Cons

Upper management is a joke. One of the most unorganized places I've ever had the displeasure of working for in all my years.

Get it together.

Dear Current Employee,

Thank you for providing your feedback about your experience with Russell Cellular. All employees are encouraged to contact the HR department if they have any concerns that

Wsr

Former Employee - WSR
    Former Employee - WSR

I worked at Russell Cellular full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's easy and it looks good on your resume. I really have nothing more to say. You learn how to be a telemarketer.

Cons

Where do I begin? Underpaid, never have any inventory, they tell you to place an order for devices you don't have in stock ... the thing is, customers don't want to wait 2 to sometimes 7+ days for their new equipment. They don't promote from within, they are notorious for hiring off the streets. If you don't agree with the store manager or the dsm, you might as well kiss your job goodbye. Bring your concerns to the RSM and they do nothing, so you go above their head, you get wrote up. Try to do the right thing and give a 2 weeks notice and you get fired. Terrible company.

DRUG TEST PEOPLE! I know of at least 3 DSMs that come to work high as a kite and on pills! Don't hold previous employees pay!

Dear Former Employee,

We truly value our employees and strive to make every employee's experience with us a positive one. You are encouraged to contact the HR department should you have difficulty