Russell Cellular

Updated August 8, 2014
Updated August 8, 2014

2.2

Jeff Russell

Good people. Bad pay. Could be a great company one day.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

The people and owner seem great. They treat employees very well and seem to do their best to make working there good time. They give many chances and understand they are paying bottom dollar but asking for top dollar performance. You can play music and take breaks whenever you want. You don't have to dress like a car salesman (buy you basically are one). Management is like anywhere else if you do your job then they are great and if you are slacking then they are not.

Cons

The pay is absurdly low and had only got lower the longer I been there. Your pay is almost entirely commission based and the targets get raised or changed every 6 months or so. They do not seen to know what they are doing a lot of the time new expect you to perform like a seasoned sales professional. You have to deal with the Verizon people a lot, to, who will blame your store for everything that is wrong with Verizon. They take zero ownership of anyting. You have to deal with terrible second tier stock that is always behind any launch date and got are selling at higher prices than the corporate store but expected to sell like you are a corporate store. Seriously the expectations go up every year but the stock gets worse. You will spend most of your day cold calling people to. They won't call it cold calling for some reason but they run an old school sales floor straight or of Glengary Glen Ross but with polo shirts instead of suits. Also, if it matters to you, they are very religious and don't mind telling you but you won't find that in their ads. Just so you know ahead of time.

It's nice that your are nice people but you don't pay enough or train enough on the things that really help. Employees can't order and sell stock that isnt there. Raise hourly pay and lower the silly commission targets so they are easily understood. It's mystery pay every check-there is as many ways to make a dollar on things as there are plans. Just pay a fair wage. You will attract better workers who really care about the customers instead of just see dollar signs or just there because they don't want to work at McDonald's.

Treated like family

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Always respectful, always willing to work with your schedule, and always willing to help

Cons

Some customers can be a pain, can't make everyone happy. Doesn't matter what job you have, if it's dealing with the public there are going to be jerks.

I would like to see more promotions from within, I've seen great leaders passed up for outside people who are good at what they do but just don't get the "Russell" way of life.

Wsr

Former Employee - WSR
    Former Employee - WSR

Pros

It's easy and it looks good on your resume. I really have nothing more to say. You learn how to be a telemarketer.

Cons

Where do I begin? Underpaid, never have any inventory, they tell you to place an order for devices you don't have in stock ... the thing is, customers don't want to wait 2 to sometimes 7+ days for their new equipment. They don't promote from within, they are notorious for hiring off the streets. If you don't agree with the store manager or the dsm, you might as well kiss your job goodbye. Bring your concerns to the RSM and they do nothing, so you go above their head, you get wrote up. Try to do the right thing and give a 2 weeks notice and you get fired. Terrible company.

DRUG TEST PEOPLE! I know of at least 3 DSMs that come to work high as a kite and on pills! Don't hold previous employees pay!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Doesn't value employees. Jeff Russell should be ashamed.

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant

Pros

Easy job
    Learn sales skills
    Good on resume

Cons

Poor pay compared to rest of industry.
    Cut our hours when minimum wage went up 20 cents.
    Gave us a grand opening budget of $200 aka enough to only print flyers. Grand opening i remind you.
    Capped at $10/hr maximum when other companies that do the exact same job, with less responsibilities, start their reps at $11/hr.
    And the commission structure is worse. Don't let them tell you its minimum wage because they pay more commissions like they told me. Trust me, they pay less commission and less hourly.
    Expect employees to drive and market all business.
    Yet they don't trust their employees to do returns, exchanges, discounts, etc..all require a call to corporate which makes the customer wait longer and the employee look bad. Had customers ask why they didn't trust their own employees judgment.
    Required to make 20 calls a day or you won't hear the end of it. Or you will get written up. May as well be at a call center.
    Manager lacked any knowledge of the wireless industry and had to ask us employees simple things.
    Worst selection of accessories.
    Worst premium retailer ive stepped into.
    No security system or cameras could end up very bad for some employees.
    Stay away

Trust employees, stop trying to open a store every day when you don't even take care of your current employees. STOP PAYING CRAP MONEY.

Brought up as "if you don't have nice things to say then don't say it"...you should get my hint.

Pros

The company story will make you feel like you can be productive member. The pay scale for sales reps allows entry level individuals an opportunity to earn a living.

Cons

If you are not RSM or above you are highly expendable. Training is horrendous. No support for stores on weekends due to short staffing. Retail Wireless resale is not for everyone and if you cannot up-sell, you won't be with RC long.

None. The Russells know what they are doing. They need to find the disconnect between HQ and the stores.

Jul 10, 2014HR Specialist

Thank you for your feedback about Russell Cellular. We pride ourselves on providing employees with a positive work experience the right tools to succeed. You are encouraged to contact your District ... More

Worse chain of command I have ever seen.

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Representative  in  Malvern, AR
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Representative in Malvern, AR

Pros

Good to start if you looking for a sales opportunity

Cons

Lack of care for employees
    Lack of inventory for small town stores
    High price products

You all might wanna have a better "opened door policy"

Jul 10, 2014HR Specialist

Thank you for providing your feedback about your experience with Russell Cellular. All employees are encouraged to contact their manager or the HR department if they have any concerns that need to ... More

Horrible experience. Ex Store Manager.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

None. This is a horrible company.

Cons

Was never valued as an employee. Was terminated so manager could hire a friend. Was lied to on numerous occasions by management. Was ignored by upper management when I requested to discuss situation. Manager spent more time at home than in stores, and when the manager did visit spent more time on personal phone calls than actually working. They attempted to block unemployment claim for "misconduct" which was not and could not be proven, just another lie by the manager.

I've read the company responses to previous posts that suggest contacting the manager. Can't happen as that person is no longer with the company and all but two stores in this market have been closed.

Close your stores.

Jul 10, 2014HR Specialist

Thank you for providing feedback on your employment at Russell Cellular. We truly value our employees and strive to make every employee's experience with us a positive one. You are encouraged to ... More

Made better money at McDonald's.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cottonwood, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cottonwood, AZ

Pros

I used to like my job before Russell Cellular bought it out. No pros for this place! Should have listened to the reviews and trusted my gut.

Cons

Horrible pay. Disrespectful and dishonest management. To much fine print. Outrageous prices. No selection of accessories. To much paperwork everything is electronic these days people. $20 to transfer phone numbers. You have got to be kidding. They have benefits but it cost more than you make. Huge turn over rates.

A Verizon retailer that's more expensive than Verizon? Does that really make sense to you? Be competitive with your pay. Be competitive with your prices. Have a selection. Have more inventory. Pay your trainers more than the trainee. I'm expected to train new hires that get paid more? Really?! Are you serious? Be respectful. Have some class. Be honest. Lead by example. Don't tells us how to be show us what you want us to be. Have better insurance rates.

Jul 10, 2014HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Russell Cellular strives to provide the best experience for our employees. Please reach out to your District Manager or the corporate office ... More

Very personal

Current Employee - WSR  in  Alamosa, CO
    Current Employee - WSR in Alamosa, CO

Pros

Commission is great, contests and also an amazing corporate staff

Cons

Health insurance is a little steep for first year hires

Always have your employees back, because if you watch their back they will do everything they can to help you succeed

Great company!

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Specialist  in  Stuttgart, AR
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Specialist in Stuttgart, AR

Pros

Russell Cellular cares about their employees and makes changes based on company survey results.

Cons

I truly love my job!!

Please continue to make changes that benefit us in the stores!

Worked for Russell Cellular? Contribute to the Community!