Rustic Pathways
www.rusticpathways.com Huntsburg, OH 50 to 149 Employees

Rustic Pathways Reviews

Updated Feb 15, 2014
Rustic Pathways – Huntsburg – “Rustic Pathways HQ”

Chris Stakich

Passionate about creating global citizens and empowering teens through thoughtful travel, adventure and service.

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time

ProsThis company is comprised of some of the most incredible, inspirational, passionate, and fun people you have ever met. Working for RP means you have the chance to change the trajectory of our next generation while participating in impactful and sustainable service projects around the world. You have the chance to travel, and connect with a global community, make a difference and grow.

ConsThis company is still working out the kinks of a structural overhaul and is feeling some growing pains. Staff can be under appreciated and while it offers a high quality service with a focus on safety and sustainable projects, management is still trying to find a balance somewhere between a "normal" 9-to-5 work environment and giving your life up for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more time into building the "family" instead of increasingly allowing the company culture to fade as we grow.

Fast growing company, rough around the edges, but great potential.

Country Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time for more than 5 years

Pros* Travel opportunities
* Ability to be creative and develop areas of interest
* Rapidly growing company
* Ability to develop out of the box ideas
* Great co-workers & company culture
* 5-6 weeks vacation
* Flexible working hours, and ability to work from home
* Telecommuting
* Great health benefits, including dental, and 401K
* Great programming, and a constant effort to improve it
* Leadership

Cons* Lots of un-expected travel / change in plans
* Organizations structure constantly changing
* Lots of change in strategy
* Easily pigeon holed into a specific position
* Lack of feedback regarding performance
* Long hours during the summer, and recruitment season

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions based on a set plan, not on what can be perceived as a whim. Be transparent with employees and provide a better picture of the company strategy. Provide greater feedback, both positive and negative, about employee performance. Provide more benefits to seasonal staff.

Great if you love working with kids, Abysmal in every other Aspect

I have been working at Rustic Pathways

ProsGet to travel to amazing places
Do things tourists only dream of
Work with great kids from around the world

ConsLittle to no communication between management in country and around the world
Disorganized at the best of times, Rustic's reputation is kept up by the hard work of counselors, when you need them managers are like ghosts
"Service Projects" are mediocre at best, mostly not impacting and with shoddy workmanship.
The Boy's club/Ivy league mentality can be seen and felt all around.
Shady stories abound

Rustic does have an amazing marketing team though so despite it all I think it will keep growing exponentially.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the higher ups who have ascended simply due to company growth. Many are woefully under-qualified and have no clue what they are doing.. travelers who became big wigs.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally rewarding. At times frustrating. Always tiring.

Program Leader (Former Employee)
New Orleans, LA

I worked at Rustic Pathways full-time for less than a year

ProsWorked with several really inspiring local organizations dedicated to rebuilding New Orleans. The students were generally appreciative of their experience. And some of the recreational activities were lots of fun (Ex. airboat tour, jazz concerts).

ConsLow wages, zero personal space or time, cramped accommodations, and the regional manager was a poor communicator and ill-prepared to support the program leaders.

Good for short stint, not really a career

Country Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time

ProsThe access to travel is amazing when you work full time here.

ConsDon't be surprised if they tell you sleep on the floor of a co-worker's hotel room or apartment. Really. Also, while the health insurance coverage is good, there is no retirement option--and with salaries running in the low 30s--compensation is hardly generous.

This is a small company and it feels like one. There are definite favorites amongst employees, which means they are allowed to ignore rules without repercussions. Other folks get fired for minor infractions. It's really stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR is useless and paychecks are late at least once every six months (hard at this salary level). If you invested a little in your employees, turnover wouldn't be so high, and you'd save money in the long run.

I've never been so disrespected

Trip Leader/Flight Leader (Current Employee)
Willoughby, OH

ProsFree plane ticket
During trip, food, housing, travel expenses, & entry to sights and activities are covered

ConsCommunication from supervisors is entirely unprofessional and beyond unsatisfactory
It is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to reach HR, let alone have a mature, professional conversation.
Payment is unreasonably low for being a trip leader 24/7
Professional relationships blur into friendships, and as this company claims to be "laid back," higher-ups take advantage of newer employees
I feel I am being taken advantage of, and am planning to quit and take my services somewhere they will be appreciated
I am pretty sure they are scamming the young adults they hire as trip leaders because they are new to the work force and won't know the compensation/treatment RP is offering them is actually very unacceptable
Moreover, what they claim to be "community service" is extremely poorly planned, and the catalogs blatantly lie to prospective customers
I cannot put in words how truly infuriated I feel when I think of how disrespectful this company has been to me

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer respect to your employees
Hire new HR

Lots of travel and hours with little compensation

Travel Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rustic Pathways

Pros- Travel
- Meet new people and experience new cultures
- assist people in need
- visit amazing location
- 6 weeks vacation
- company covers costs while abroad

Cons- You only travel to one location, over and over again
- low pay
- expected to work without days off during summer period
- expected to travel through the states in hotels that cost under $80 a night and with no daily stipend
- expected to work weekends during sales season
- no response from owner of company
-horrible hr department

Advice to Senior Management- I would suggest a new hr department

Good at first, then gets rough

I have been working at Rustic Pathways

Prostravel and freedom to work on projects that interest you.

See the world, get experience in many areas of business

Interacting with teenagers and watching them enjoy new experiences

Consexpectation that you don't take days off...ever.

low pay, because they think you get 'experience' by traveling

high turnover, low employee morale, bad management and ownership

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employee's quality of life. Take care of the employees and keep in mind that being overworked leads to lower quality work

Worked for Rustic Pathways? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rustic Pathways reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rustic Pathways CEO Chris Stakich. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Rustic Pathways employees.