Rustic Pathways

Updated September 19, 2014

Chris Stakich

Program Leader

I worked at Rustic Pathways for less than a year

Pros

Excellent management, service projects were well-manned with locals and students on trips, great accommodations, great food, good mixture of culture. Depends on the program leaders how good of a time the students have. We had great staff so our programs excelled, can't speak for other countries.

Cons

Salary not enough for working 24/7 essentially, but we do get all of our expenses paid. Staff were rearranged too much, caused disharmony with certain program leaders.

Let program leaders stay on the program they are most suited for and feel comfortable with. Only bring in new leaders if needed.

Fun job with perks...but far from perfect

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Willoughby, OH
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Willoughby, OH

I worked at Rustic Pathways full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free travel (depending on your position), great group of smart and eager colleagues, safety training, general fun on the job.

Cons

Salary is kind of low for the time you have to put in (especially during sales), it's hard to get out of your box, spotty enforcement of rules, there is definitely a club of "cool guys" or favorites that tend to get what they want or at least get away with things other won't, poor communication, HR department is a joke.

Work towards creating a culture that will last. The turn around is too high to create any real depth. Focus on creating meaningful experiences for the clients as opposed to creating higher numbers. Communicate!

Passionate about creating global citizens and empowering teens through thoughtful travel, adventure and service.

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time

Pros

This company is comprised of some of the most incredible, inspirational, passionate, and fun people you have ever met. Working for RP means you have the chance to change the trajectory of our next generation while participating in impactful and sustainable service projects around the world. You have the chance to travel, and connect with a global community, make a difference and grow.

Cons

This company is still working out the kinks of a structural overhaul and is feeling some growing pains. Staff can be under appreciated and while it offers a high quality service with a focus on safety and sustainable projects, management is still trying to find a balance somewhere between a "normal" 9-to-5 work environment and giving your life up for the company.

Put more time into building the "family" instead of increasingly allowing the company culture to fade as we grow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast growing company, rough around the edges, but great potential.

Current Employee - Country Director
    Current Employee - Country Director

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Travel opportunities
    * Ability to be creative and develop areas of interest
    * Rapidly growing company
    * Ability to develop out of the box ideas
    * Great co-workers & company culture
    * 5-6 weeks vacation
    * Flexible working hours, and ability to work from home
    * Telecommuting
    * Great health benefits, including dental, and 401K
    * Great programming, and a constant effort to improve it
    * Leadership

Cons

* Lots of un-expected travel / change in plans
    * Organizations structure constantly changing
    * Lots of change in strategy
    * Easily pigeon holed into a specific position
    * Lack of feedback regarding performance
    * Long hours during the summer, and recruitment season

Make decisions based on a set plan, not on what can be perceived as a whim. Be transparent with employees and provide a better picture of the company strategy. Provide greater feedback, both positive and negative, about employee performance. Provide more benefits to seasonal staff.

Great if you love working with kids, Abysmal in every other Aspect

I have been working at Rustic Pathways

Pros

Get to travel to amazing places
    Do things tourists only dream of
    Work with great kids from around the world

Cons

Little to no communication between management in country and around the world
    Disorganized at the best of times, Rustic's reputation is kept up by the hard work of counselors, when you need them managers are like ghosts
    "Service Projects" are mediocre at best, mostly not impacting and with shoddy workmanship.
    The Boy's club/Ivy league mentality can be seen and felt all around.
    Shady stories abound

Rustic does have an amazing marketing team though so despite it all I think it will keep growing exponentially.

Take a look at the higher ups who have ascended simply due to company growth. Many are woefully under-qualified and have no clue what they are doing.. travelers who became big wigs.

Generally rewarding. At times frustrating. Always tiring.

Former Employee - Program Leader  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Rustic Pathways full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked with several really inspiring local organizations dedicated to rebuilding New Orleans. The students were generally appreciative of their experience. And some of the recreational activities were lots of fun (Ex. airboat tour, jazz concerts).

Cons

Low wages, zero personal space or time, cramped accommodations, and the regional manager was a poor communicator and ill-prepared to support the program leaders.

Good for short stint, not really a career

Current Employee - Country Manager
    Current Employee - Country Manager

I have been working at Rustic Pathways full-time

Pros

The access to travel is amazing when you work full time here.

Cons

Don't be surprised if they tell you sleep on the floor of a co-worker's hotel room or apartment. Really. Also, while the health insurance coverage is good, there is no retirement option--and with salaries running in the low 30s--compensation is hardly generous.

This is a small company and it feels like one. There are definite favorites amongst employees, which means they are allowed to ignore rules without repercussions. Other folks get fired for minor infractions. It's really stressful.

HR is useless and paychecks are late at least once every six months (hard at this salary level). If you invested a little in your employees, turnover wouldn't be so high, and you'd save money in the long run.

I've never been so disrespected

Current Employee - Trip Leader/Flight Leader  in  Willoughby, OH
    Current Employee - Trip Leader/Flight Leader in Willoughby, OH

I have been working at Rustic Pathways

Pros

Free plane ticket
    During trip, food, housing, travel expenses, & entry to sights and activities are covered

Cons

Communication from supervisors is entirely unprofessional and beyond unsatisfactory
    It is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to reach HR, let alone have a mature, professional conversation.
    Payment is unreasonably low for being a trip leader 24/7
    Professional relationships blur into friendships, and as this company claims to be "laid back," higher-ups take advantage of newer employees
    I feel I am being taken advantage of, and am planning to quit and take my services somewhere they will be appreciated
    I am pretty sure they are scamming the young adults they hire as trip leaders because they are new to the work force and won't know the compensation/treatment RP is offering them is actually very unacceptable
    Moreover, what they claim to be "community service" is extremely poorly planned, and the catalogs blatantly lie to prospective customers
    I cannot put in words how truly infuriated I feel when I think of how disrespectful this company has been to me

Offer respect to your employees
    Hire new HR

Can be an amazing job, great time off, great staff, fun vibe... but sometimes no personal life. Good pay, bad benefits.

I worked at Rustic Pathways full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun work. They really try hard to put you in a position that suits your skills / likes. Great people work for the company. Time off is great, but still seems like you need to work during that time.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much work and not enough time for personal life. Can be very stressful

Less stressful work environment.

Lots of travel and hours with little compensation

Current Employee - Travel Manager
    Current Employee - Travel Manager

I have been working at Rustic Pathways

Pros

- Travel
    - Meet new people and experience new cultures
    - assist people in need
    - visit amazing location
    - 6 weeks vacation
    - company covers costs while abroad

Cons

- You only travel to one location, over and over again
    - low pay
    - expected to work without days off during summer period
    - expected to travel through the states in hotels that cost under $80 a night and with no daily stipend
    - expected to work weekends during sales season
    - no response from owner of company
    -horrible hr department

- I would suggest a new hr department

Rustic Pathways Photos

Rustic Pathways HQ

+ Add Photo

Worked for Rustic Pathways? Contribute to the Community!