Rutter's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
CEO

1. great company

I have been working at Rutter's full-time

Pros

good salary, good amount of vacation time

Cons

many hours to work on regular basis

2. OK

Current Employee - Team Member in Stewartstown, PA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Stewartstown, PA

I have been working at Rutter's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The base pay is higher than your typical "just starting out" job. This is a great job if you're going to school because they are very flexible with school schedules.

Cons

No PTO, no discounts, I've worked every holiday, you work by yourself at the smaller stores, sometimes for up to 4 or 5 hours.

3. A joke of a company

Former Employee - Team Leader in Stewartstown, PA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Stewartstown, PA

I worked at Rutter's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They paid higher then minimum wage but that was the only benefit

Cons

Wouldn't allow a full-time employee. I could only ever have 38 hours max in a week and i know they have cut employees even further back since then because of the new 30+ hours a week requires insurance and they don't want to offer it. Never had off weekends unless requested. They rigged the annual "best of York County" yearly by *requiring* employees to vote in every applicable category for Rutters which still happens to this day. They care about corporate employee's and store managers and that is it. Everyone else is disposable to the upper management. I can keep going, you get the idea that the cons outweigh the pros very heavily.

Advice to Management

Don't be corporate robots. Sure you get paid obsurdly well for a job that should pay maybe half the salary if that. Treat your team members like people and when something isn't right don't just go along with it stand up for your employees.

5. Long days shift work.

I have been working at Rutter's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just a few reasons to work for this company . You may enjoy free soft drinks during your work day ! If you like working at Rutter's you can become a manger.(they are offered benefits and pto .) Free uniforms (except shoes) on the job training Night shift Pay

Cons

Smokers get lots of breaks 5 min every two hours however this is not monitored ( I don't smoke ) Customer Service is hard field to work in it may not be for everyone Its a round the clock job. poor schedules the can work you swing type shifts and probably will. This job requires alot of work .\ Broken equipment all the time lots of noise

Advice to Management

work in your stores . Get to know your customer. Deal with some of the struggles your staff deal with. Fix and replace old equipment. Have a place for meetings where staff and mangers do not have to be cramped into a storage room to talk. Use technology allow Team members to order and replace there uniforms online. Use Job fairs to hire people , put ads in high schools. offer incentives to employees there over six months . Use better pest management with fly's. Put fans in store to better cool the entire building. It will help your staff and equipment run better .

6. Associate

I worked at Rutter's part-time

Pros

They were willing to cross train to further develop my work experience. Everyone generally got along fairly well and was helpful. Worked with my school schedule and still could give me my ideal hours.

Cons

Never got weekends off unless requested off but that's to be expected in the work environment.

Advice to Management

When I worked there, everything was usually in line and good!

7. team member

Current Employee - Cashier in North York, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in North York, PA

I have been working at Rutter's

Pros

they are nice people to work with but, i need a change

Cons

open 24hours a day,i need a change from the company,i feel they are pushing me out door

Advice to Management

just need something new to work at

8. If you find a store with managers that care.... Take the job.

Current Employee - Deli Cook in Loganville, PA
    Current Employee - Deli Cook in Loganville, PA

I have been working at Rutter's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent food, competitve gas prices, most co-workers were generally great to get along with. Pay was pretty good for the work.

Cons

Management needs some better human relation training. Or a complete overhaul on the management side.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like part of the team and not just minions to yell at every time something goes wrong. Store#16 is the worst for this.

Rutter's - Deli - New Freedom, PA A job in which you work while you have to complete a list of chores that are given to you. I used to work at a restaurant before Rutter's and when I was in the kitchen there were maybe between 4-5 cooks in the kitchen during each shift. At Rutter's depending on the store you work in, you'll have 2-4 (if you're lucky) employees including yourself with you. You have to face rushes that are unpredictable and management that is unorganized and that doesn't take the time to hear the concerns of the grunt workers. You don't get a break during your shift and as a part time worker forget about any benefits that a full timer would receive (not that there are much). Shifts during the weekend evenings and nights become pure insanity since only two people would be around during the whole 8 hours, and if you're a third shift worker on weekends don't expect back up because you'll be by yourself for 8 hours cleaning the deli and parts of the store as well as taking large and numerous orders at random times of the night, dealing with angry and belligerent customers. The only solution totally the issues that workers go through is to increase the amount of workers in the deli and to have managers that understand how to schedule employees wisely to make working during difficult shifts less of a grind for employees.

I worked at Rutter's

Pros

Higher starting pay, free drinks while working, double time during holidays.

Cons

Inadequate scheduling, no breaks, small work force.

Advice to Management

Hire more workers for the deli, and train managers so that they can make better decisions when it comes to day by day scheduling. Remember that as a deli worker that it is a fairly demanding job so breaks would not only relieve the workers but also give an incentive to push through the rest of the shift.

10. Don't expect advancement

Former Employee - Store Clerk
    Former Employee - Store Clerk

I worked at Rutter's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rutter's does pay for their training program at corporate level which is nice and thorough. They also are usually very flexible when it comes to hours and days off.

Cons

No chance for advancement within the company, no insurance, barely enough hours to live on.

Advice to Management

Smarten up! Cutting out insurance and full-time employees leaves you with a high turn-over rate. It also leaves long-term employees like myself with no option but to find another job.

11. Night Shift

Former Employee - Night Shift Clerk in Brogue, PA
    Former Employee - Night Shift Clerk in Brogue, PA

I worked at Rutter's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that I worked with are now friends and we made work fun. You are paid well for your time.

Cons

The management have lost touch with the business that can occur on the floor. You are given way too much to accomplish in one night. There was no positive feedback even when you went above and beyond in your duties.

Advice to Management

Give positive feedback as well as the negative and talk to the work force more.

RSS Feed </> Embed