Ryan Homes
www.ryanhomes.com Reston, VA 500 to 999 Employees

Ryan Homes Reviews

Updated Jun 7, 2014

Paul C. Saville

Very supportive of work/life balance and career development.

Office (Current Employee)

ProsWork/life balance, hours, opportunity for advancement, opportunity to make an insane amount of commission, company values, opportunity for advancement, career development/training, benefits including ESOP, transparency, support from management, true open door policy, family-like environment, supportive, positive, we-can-do-it-together attitude from divisional management on down.

ConsOnly located in the MidAtlantic region, slow to hire additional needed staff members.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire additional staff members per the Staffing Model/Org Chart so that they are in place before/as new communities open.
    Don't just cut a budget to make a number work: if it's needed, push back; Paul will listen.

Ryan Homes is a very large company and each division could be different. This is my experience.

Richmond, VA

ProsThey give people a chance to sell homes who have never done real estate before or have any experience in it. The money is relatively good, and the profit sharing is great! They match you and if you stay with the company long term it could be lucrative. I've sold a ton of homes and the Buyers are really wonderful. I also had a great project manager who taught me everything I needed to know about the construction in a couple of well spent days.

ConsThe pay is commission and they use a quota system. So, if you have a great month, the next month they can raise your quota, meaning you have to sell more houses to make the same amount of money.

My manager expects me to be in constant communication even on my days off, so I never really have any. My manager doesn't really either, though. Management will constantly contact you even on their days off and expect a fast response.

The hours that you actually work are very long and if you don't attend the "after hour" parties put on by management you are ostracized as not being a team player.

I've seen other people who wanted to apply for different positions in the company, to move up or into something new, be told they were not allowed to apply. I guess you have to get an endorsement by your supervisor. So if they don't want you to move into a better position because maybe you are helping them look good or making their job easier, they can pretty much make you stay right where you are.

The paperwork is a nightmare. I think the CEO is technology allergic.

I saw a lovely girl quit because she said it was just too stressful and the pressure to sell, sell, sell was too much for her. She felt she was too young to endure it and didn't care about making less money - just wanted less stress and a day off. Management really hassled her to stay, because she was selling and was good.

It is like that, though. Of course its your job to sell, but to constantly get added pressure from you manager calling you and emailing you for a sale can get stressful.

It may just be my division, which does have a very high turnover rate and these could be part of the reasons. I saw a lot of people leave and when I was first hired most of the people I had met had just started within a year or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people speak regarding their ideas on how the place could be improved. Stop shutting people down, that is why no one speaks up in the meetings anymore - either their ideas are not good or you accuse them of not listening or worse "we have gone over this many times" when obviously if people have questions it wasn't clear. One-way communication does not work, you need to listen and acknowledge your employees or the best ones will continue to leave.

I am a good, responsible, trustworthy employee who performs well so please stop micro managing us to death. The constant calling and checking up and talking through every single person over and over again... and the constant back and forth between the clients myself and loan officer could easily be avoided with an effective system in place.

You should empower sales and help them so that you can have a day off, too. Yes, in the real world this happens: Managers and employees get a day completely off and a break from each other.

Great Training and Co-Workers

Cleveland, OH

ProsRyan Homes provides its employees with the best training in the industry. The managers are very hands on and available to help the employees succeed. The salary paid during training is reasonable.

ConsAs a full commission sales rep, it is difficult to completely walk away from your job on holidays, during vacations, or on days off. There is not always a fully trained or qualified person to work with customers when the sales rep is not in.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Truly a bad mistake taking this job

Beltsville, MD

ProsTheir training program is good for college kids or people with little to no sales experience. I'd recommend going through the program if you're considering working here. It was created by some of the best professionals in the industry.

ConsIncredibly incompetent managers that are not in place due to skill, horrible hours (you are asked during hiring if you're willing to work 3 weekends a month usually, however you work every single weekend, including holidays), pay policies are basically stealing from employees, top down style, old boys club, outdated technology, redundant policies that stifle innovation. Honestly, because of the odd hours we're forced to work, luckily I can look for another job while I'm in my office at work. Glad I now know to never buy a Ryan/NV Home because of what I've seen and learned. Honestly I'd resign, but if I do, I'll lose money I've already made for them but have not been paid yet (and per their policy, would not be paid).

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Return to core values of a sales driven industry and value your employees - they're the ones working directly with the market and will have the most up to date understanding of the industry trends. It's too bad the truly fantastic managers that knew this and drove the company to be so successful have all moved on.

Professional atmosphere; quality homes.

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsIndustry leader, good pay and excellent benefits.

ConsWeekend work required in all sales positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to reduce turnover in the sales group.

Great job; great people

Construction Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsMost employees are transplants so quickly become family.

ConsNone immediately come to mind

Good hours, no loyalty, no technology to assist in doing job

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Prosgood manager, nice people, build houses for people, good hours

Consno loyalty by upper management, no increases in pay. in down years, they could lay you off, then ask you to come back when things are better for "them". no use of technology to do your job. dont listen to employees feedback.

Advice to Senior Managementcompensate employees based on customer reviews. they are the ones keeping you in business. use technology to keep at the forefront of business. stop using the cheapest products in peoples homes. it will catchup to you. stop using "3rd party" inspectors that are actually (friends/ex employees) with current employees. Stop acting like you are the only company that can give someone a career.

Great opportunity for financial success

Sales and Marketing Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat commission structure compared to other builders
    One weekend off a month when most builders recieve none
    Operate as an idividual

ConsNot much of a work life balance
    Very corporate structured company
    Very little growth opportunity

If you are assertive and willing to work very hard, you will make great money.

Sales and Marketing Representative (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent training program, excellent income potential, reward trips and bonuses, ability to work independently and run your own site.

ConsIt can be difficult to advance into management even if you receive excellent performance reviews and are a top performer. Management positions do not open frequently. You will work most every weekend but you will be given one weekend off per month which is generous in new home sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture used to be "Work hard, play hard" and a few years ago became just "Work hard". Try to keep the culture fun or you will lose talented employees.

Sales Representative

Charlotte, NC

ProsExperience gained you will get a good overview of the new construction process. The initial training in sales closing, marketing can be applied to any sales position.

ConsThey do not work to grow their people, they have their favorites and they get the better neighborhoods. If you are not making your quota, even if it is out of your control due to the economy, they may lay you off.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees and they will be loyal to you.

Worked for Ryan Homes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ryan Homes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ryan Homes CEO Paul C. Saville. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Ryan Homes employees.