Ryan Homes Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

3.5

Paul C. Saville

Very fasted paced. Good time management is essential.

Current Employee - Project Supervisor
    Current Employee - Project Supervisor

I have been working at Ryan Homes full-time

Pros

Great opportunities for career growth and advancement. Good incentives and salary.

Cons

Can be long hours to meet deadlines.

Good Company, Lifestyle Questionable

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Ryan Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay. Strong Culture. Nice People.

Cons

The job determines your lifestyle, not you.

Management is conservative which is okay in good times, and better in bad times. Smart in that regard. Local managers are good, but notable disconnect from corporate managers.

Sales & Marketing Representative

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative  in  Voorhees, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in Voorhees, NJ

I worked at Ryan Homes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High earning potential - rarely had to work over 40 hours a week to make $100K+; autonomous work environment - feel like you're running your own business without the financial burden of marketing/operation costs; extensive training program so you're not "thrown to the wolves" like many other sales jobs; sales contests for cash, trips, etc are very motivational; great group of people to work with - motivational, great teamwork, close knit sales team.

Cons

Working weekends isn't ideal, but the earning potential makes up for it. Can be stressful at times as any job can be.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company! Great Pay! Horrible Schedule!

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Ryan Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of job autonomy! This is a position that you get out of what you give. It is your sole responsibility to sell homes. You will be in a model all day long prospecting on the phone, greeting potential buyers, and taking them through the sales process. It's a very rewarding job, with a lot of internal support. Your sales managers care what you think and how you're doing in your job and will make sure you have the resources available to you to succeed. You can definitely make six figures in this position with hard work and dedication. If you aren't making six figures, you're doing something wrong.

Cons

You WILL work weekends, and you will miss out on family/friends events. You do get one weekend off per month, however, even if you have vacation time, you aren't allowed to take off any other weekends in the same month. It's frustrating, especially during the summer months, to watch all of your friends and family go out and have fun while you're stuck at work. But again, the monetary rewards are fantastic, but money doesn't buy happiness. So just make sure that you're okay with sitting in a model home every weekend. Mentioning sitting in the model home, this would be the other down side to the job. On some days, nobody at all comes in, and you're basically sitting there watching paint dry all day long. There is also very little room for advancement. It will take years, perhaps decades to become a manager here.

Management should allow people to take more than one weekend off each month. You tend to burn out in this job very quickly because of the lack of involvement in your own life. Or if they won't let you take more weekends off, then they should consider changing the weekend hours to open house hours. For instance, 12-4pm, or 2-6pm. This will NEVER happen, but it would make for much happier, longer lasting employees.

A wonderful company to work for with a great compensation plan.

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Representative In Training
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Representative In Training

I have been working at Ryan Homes full-time for less than a year

Pros

The sky is the limit on your earnings! Also, they offer an outstanding benefits package.

Cons

You have to work most weekends. It is %100 commission after you finish training and that alone can be stressful.

Ryan Homes- Good pay but no work/life balance

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative

I worked at Ryan Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome training- they do not let you start selling until they know you are ready. Pay is good during training as well. Once you are a selling you are 100% commission. You get x amount of commission for each house sold (that amount will change depending on what your quota is for that month). Commission is paid 1/2 at contract and the other 1/2 when that customer closes on their home.Its nice to get some commission upfront but if something happens to that customer after you get paid the first 1/2 commission (they don't get approved, lose their job, etc) then you have to pay that money back. 100% commission is scary especially during slow winter months when no one is buying- better be able to budget or no x-mas presents.

Cons

They tell you that you can have one weekend off per month (you make those days up on your normal days off) but when you take your weekend, management looks down on that. Again 100% commission. I have seen people make a lot of money and people make so little money they cant pay their bills- and the worst part is they are both working equally as hard. It all depends on your territory. The BIGGEST con is work/life balance. You come in early, leave late, work every weekend, and every single day off. You work 24/7. There is no way around it. Weekends are mandatory so if you have a family say goodbye to weekend events. Are your kids in sports or extra activities? You wont be able to ever go. Also- stay on managements good side because if you don't they will make sure you don't make any money.

Ruthless, Heartless and Souless

Former Employee - Management  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Management in Reston, VA

I worked at Ryan Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay well in order because it's the only way to get people to stay with the company. If you're looking for stability, this company will probably always do well because of it's ruthless pursuit of profit.

Cons

The ONLY motivating force in the company (and parent company NVR) is DIRECT PROFIT. Since the ascendancy of Paul Seville (bean counter) no decision is made without considering the impact on DIRECT PROFIT. As an employee you are completely expendable and your career at Ryan Homes is dictated by DIRECT PROFIT.
    You can be promoted and demoted at the drop of a hat as it impacts DIRECT PROFIT. If you are a customer, your relationship with the company is guided solely by DIRECT PROFIT. If you are a vendor or supplier, your relationship with the company is completely dependent on DIRECT PROFIT.
    There are no long term relationships with this company, everything (and I mean everything) is leased so it is disposable, including equipment, supplies and people. This is a VERY insular and old fashioned company that is a bad environment for creative thinkers. If you work here, you follow the processes with no deviation or suffer the consequences. This also goes for subs and customers.

You can't give advice to people who are not open to it. It's just wasted breath.

Ryan Homes is a very large company and each division could be different. This is my experience.

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Ryan Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros

They give people a chance to sell homes who have never done real estate before or have any experience in it. The money is relatively good, and the profit sharing is great! They match you and if you stay with the company long term it could be lucrative. I've sold a ton of homes and the Buyers are really wonderful. I also had a great project manager who taught me everything I needed to know about the construction in a couple of well spent days.

Cons

The pay is commission and they use a quota system. So, if you have a great month, the next month they can raise your quota, meaning you have to sell more houses to make the same amount of money.

My manager expects me to be in constant communication even on my days off, so I never really have any. My manager doesn't really either, though. Management will constantly contact you even on their days off and expect a fast response.

The hours that you actually work are very long and if you don't attend the "after hour" parties put on by management you are ostracized as not being a team player.

I've seen other people who wanted to apply for different positions in the company, to move up or into something new, be told they were not allowed to apply. I guess you have to get an endorsement by your supervisor. So if they don't want you to move into a better position because maybe you are helping them look good or making their job easier, they can pretty much make you stay right where you are.

The paperwork is a nightmare. I think the CEO is technology allergic.

I saw a lovely girl quit because she said it was just too stressful and the pressure to sell, sell, sell was too much for her. She felt she was too young to endure it and didn't care about making less money - just wanted less stress and a day off. Management really hassled her to stay, because she was selling and was good.

It is like that, though. Of course its your job to sell, but to constantly get added pressure from you manager calling you and emailing you for a sale can get stressful.

It may just be my division, which does have a very high turnover rate and these could be part of the reasons. I saw a lot of people leave and when I was first hired most of the people I had met had just started within a year or so.

Let people speak regarding their ideas on how the place could be improved. Stop shutting people down, that is why no one speaks up in the meetings anymore - either their ideas are not good or you accuse them of not listening or worse "we have gone over this many times" when obviously if people have questions it wasn't clear. One-way communication does not work, you need to listen and acknowledge your employees or the best ones will continue to leave.

I am a good, responsible, trustworthy employee who performs well so please stop micro managing us to death. The constant calling and checking up and talking through every single person over and over again... and the constant back and forth between the clients myself and loan officer could easily be avoided with an effective system in place.

You should empower sales and help them so that you can have a day off, too. Yes, in the real world this happens: Managers and employees get a day completely off and a break from each other.

Very supportive of work/life balance and career development.

Current Employee - Office
    Current Employee - Office

I have been working at Ryan Homes full-time

Pros

Work/life balance, hours, opportunity for advancement, opportunity to make an insane amount of commission, company values, opportunity for advancement, career development/training, benefits including ESOP, transparency, support from management, true open door policy, family-like environment, supportive, positive, we-can-do-it-together attitude from divisional management on down.

Cons

Only located in the MidAtlantic region, slow to hire additional needed staff members.

Hire additional staff members per the Staffing Model/Org Chart so that they are in place before/as new communities open.
    Don't just cut a budget to make a number work: if it's needed, push back; Paul will listen.

Great Training and Co-Workers

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Ryan Homes full-time

Pros

Ryan Homes provides its employees with the best training in the industry. The managers are very hands on and available to help the employees succeed. The salary paid during training is reasonable.

Cons

As a full commission sales rep, it is difficult to completely walk away from your job on holidays, during vacations, or on days off. There is not always a fully trained or qualified person to work with customers when the sales rep is not in.

Worked for Ryan Homes? Contribute to the Community!