Ryan, LLC Reviews

Reset
3.6
Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Ryan's efforts in work-life balance is outstanding (in 38 reviews)

• I got to work from home all the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• Due to out of office work environment, newer employees may have a difficult time learning, adjusting, etc (in 7 reviews)

1. Good first job

Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging and deadline-driven. It was nice to be trusted with such a great deal of responsibility so early in my career. I got to travel a handful of times and enjoyed the people I worked with. Everyone is very sharp and goal-oriented.

Cons

Hours can be long. Additionally, you can pigeonhole yourself into very specific fields of tax, which ultimately, I didn't feel was good for my career in the long run.

Advice to Management

Management seems to overlook work/life balance and overall satisfaction of their employees in order to fulfill personal revenue goals, especially near the end of the year. The firm also seems to be very top-heavy, with a huge reliance on the staff.

We work lots of hours, but the team environment makes it worth the work.

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

Team environment, younger company, good corporate structure, and we also get all the resources needed to be effective at our jobs.

Cons

The work can be boring and not very challenging at some points.
    Hard to make good bonuses if your team isn't assigned the good projects.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have more one on one time with the lower level employees. It would really help career develpoment.

Poor SR Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MYRYAN program
    The CEO of the company has a vision ..

Cons

Poor Leadership
    Underdeveloped staff
    Divided offices between Buckhead and Atlanta

Advice to Management

Develop better leadership skills
    Communicate!!
    People are not tools to step on to get to the TOP!

Top-Heavy, Revenue-Hungry, Going Down

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

There is a relatively flexible work environment, but don't be dooped by recruitin. You're going to have to put in some major hours, especially at the onset. Additionally, the benefits and base pay are pretty good, but not industry leaders by any stretch of the imagination.

Cons

I used to love this company. I was so proud to work here. Now I just feel completely disillusioned about the future. We made it to Fortunes top companies, but I bet it's just a flash in the pan. The company is only focused on revenue. Client satisfaction and leadership are going down the drain. The principal group is a joke. All they care about are selling new projects, not reviewing or teaching. The CEO is a hypocrit. He preaches that we should see clients at least every 6 months, but I'm on some of his active accounts he hasn't visited in years, and not for a lack of trying to get him there. There is a very strong do as I say and not as I do attitude among senior management. Staff is just cranking out projects to try and meet ridiculous benchmarks and screw ups are happening over and over. I don't expect I'll be here much longer, and I don't anticipate I'll work with Ryan after I leave.

Advice to Management

Scratch it and start over. The model doesn't work anymore. The team structure doesn't work anymore. The old dogs sitting on clients and road blocking your bright, enthusiastic principals doesn't work anymore. The BD guys selling projects for the sake of selling (ie. Sales tax reviews for mall kiosks) doesn't work anymore

6. Admin Asst.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company in many ways.

Cons

If you hit the Red line or salary cap for your position, you will never get a raise again. No cost of living, no bonuses, nothing! You can beg and beg for years and I did beg and beg for years. They will not create a position for the Administrative staff to move you out of the red line salary cap. Most Admins do things for the office and not just the team and should be Office Administrators. Stayed at the same salary for years and just couldn't do it anymore. You hear about the "revenue makers' making goo gobs of money. Even though the team admins are supposed to be a part of the revenue benchmark they are not compensated with bonuses even though they work on client projects. You go to firm meetings and hear about how rich everyone else is and they wont change the redline policy for the admin staff. I couldn't stand it anymore. The health insurance is expensive.

Advice to Management

Eliminate your redline policy!

7. Has been very inviting. Atmosphere is overall wonderful. CEO, Mr. Brint, cares for his employees!

Current Employee - Sales and Use Tax Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales and Use Tax Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation is average however there are opportunities for bonuses. Mr. Brint obviously cares for each employee individually and expresses it often through motivational emails. Work-life balance is great due to a program at Ryan called MyRyan. It allows you to work at your own pace and set your own schedule (from home).

Cons

There are some mundane tasks, however many companies are.

8. Ryan will be my employer for life!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company is perfect for me. I am a type A, hard charger who wants to have unlimited earning potential based on results. That is what Ryan is all about. The low base, high bonus compensation model set up for the majority of the practices (I am in sales and use tax) is the way to go. If you are a self-starter, tax technical, disciplined and eager/hungry, this is the place for you.

I have made way more money at Ryan than I would have anywhere else. It is about more than the money though. Ryan LIVES by its Purpose and Core Values. It isn't something that their marketing department came up with that just sounds good. Every word has meaning and leadership walks the walk and talks the talk. There is no doubt about it. Those in leadership positions still work directly on client accounts every day and are on the front lines. They know what is going on because they are living it.

And the clients are Fortune 1000 companies where I have made many friends. They know and trust the capabilities of Ryan and have confidence and a commitment from our CEO that we will figure it out, leave no stone unturned, and be creative in our solutions. We won't close the project until we have the best result possible. We stick with it until the end. Not many firms do that as they are too busy looking at engagement economics, particuarly on contingency fee engagements.

Cons

There are occassionally growing pains but that is expected with a high-growth company. I would rather have pains here and there than be with a company that is stagnant.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people like me. I want to be surrounded by those who want to succeed and will do whatever it takes to succeed by coming up with creative ideas, being thorough in their work, and commiting whatever time it takes to get the job done to the highest standards.

Invest in Corporate Services to build a top-notch, proactive team to support the high growth business.

9. Smart people, driven environment, with great application of technology to enable work/life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are on a team that has the support or is managed by the more tenured leadership, this can be a great company with many great experiences for a young professional.

Cons

As the company has grown, it has become difficult to move up, and politics plays a big role in upper management. Many of the large accounts are managed by partners that have been at the firm for a long time, and get paid a significant amount of money based upon the work of others, and very little of their own effort.

10. Good company if you like tax

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services

Cons

Work is mundane and boring, lots of data entry and invoice pulling

11. Great company across all departments and philosophies, with a medium-above average application of it's MyRyan program.

Current Intern - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

MyRyan is a reality for lots of employees, and there really is a meritorious environment. Lots of employee benefits, great PTO offerings.

Cons

Bonuses, and whether one advances or not is based solely on luck of the draw/who one knows. If you get stuck on a team in an industry such as retail, your bonuses will be lower than that of those in Defense Contractors or Oil and Gas. But it's worth the risk. Also lack of Administrative assistants means Associate Consultants, as well as Consultants must do extremely menial tasks for weeks on end.

Advice to Management

Don't forget people on the lower level who drive your company, and remember to communicate on their level, despite the companies lofty future goals.

RSS Feed </> Embed