Ryan, LLC Reviews

Reset
3.9
Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Ryan's efforts in work-life balance is outstanding (in 38 reviews)

• I got to work from home all the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• Due to out of office work environment, newer employees may have a difficult time learning, adjusting, etc (in 7 reviews)

1. Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, love my ryan

Cons

Some managers work you too much

Advice to Management

Keep my Ryan, that's the future!

2. Great

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

everyone is friendly and professional

Cons

Training wasn't until my third week, sort of lost before then

3. Good first job

Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging and deadline-driven. It was nice to be trusted with such a great deal of responsibility so early in my career. I got to travel a handful of times and enjoyed the people I worked with. Everyone is very sharp and goal-oriented.

Cons

Hours can be long. Additionally, you can pigeonhole yourself into very specific fields of tax, which ultimately, I didn't feel was good for my career in the long run.

Advice to Management

Management seems to overlook work/life balance and overall satisfaction of their employees in order to fulfill personal revenue goals, especially near the end of the year. The firm also seems to be very top-heavy, with a huge reliance on the staff.

5. Good company

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

Great company that cares about their workers and train you efficiently so that you are able to do your job to the best of your abilities.

Cons

Honestly Are no downsides from my experience

6. Director

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, facilities, comaraderie, community outreach, career

Cons

none, nobody, no issues, none at all,

7. Carpenter/labor

Current Employee - Carpenter in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Carpenter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ryan, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

One of the few places where I've worked, and sh*t DOESNT roll down hill. The project managers make every problem their problem, and won't leave you hanging. It's also laid back, you're never pushed to get a job done faster. You're hours are consistent and they rarely have you work overtime. Which is nice if you have a life outside of work.

Cons

Tools are usually old and not reliable. They are trying to fix this problem, but not as fast as they could. Also you only get 15 minute lunch break.

8. Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Flexibility in work/life balance. Gym perks are great.

Cons

Dress code is unnecessary. Attempting at being a big four. Could be a little less stressful around here and a little more open and friendly.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the CPE/CEU hours and so many lengthy policy and procedures.

Focused Learning Areas, Limited Career Path

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ryan, LLC (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can learn about niche areas of the tax world. They are willing to hire inexperienced people so it can be a good first job.

Cons

Like another reviewer, i've become very disillusioned about working at Ryan. Work life balance? Please. Most of the people I know at this company are not happy and don't feel like they have a work life balance. It's long hours of mind numbingly dull work. No time is sacred to Ryan employees. Be prepared to be accessible at all times, even on PTO.

I believe the reason that Ryan wins so many awards is that people are scared to say what they really think to management. There is a real culture of paranoia at Ryan. At our recent annual meeting Brint Ryan read negative comments from Glassdoor to the entire company. These (very legitimate) complaints were all met with "I respect your opinion but... " *INSERT REASON WHY COMPLAINT IS WRONG*. There was not one genuine moment of humility. Ryan pretends they want open and honest feedback, but unless you agree with their "vision" it won't be welcomed.

I was lucky enough to have a manager that allowed some work from home. Most people aren't, yet Ryan touts this as their culture. They use it as a tool to get people into Ryan and it's disingenuous and deceptive. If you are going to play the culture game and throw around buzzwords, you better be able to back it up. If a manager doesn't follow myRyan they should be F I R E D as this is counter to your culture - which you claim is so important to you, right? But, the thing is, Ryan does not have a real cohesive culture that is anything more than a marketing ploy. Seems like someone in HR read a case study of Zappos and decided they needed to have a "culture" so they could attract talent.

They also have unlimited PTO for salaried employees. This should tell you loud and clear what little opportunity you will have to take PTO.

There is only one path and thats consultant to management. You won't learn anything outside of your practice area and won't be very marketable when you go and look for a new job, even if its in tax. You can go into other tax careers, but your options will be limited by the narrow focused nature of the tax consultant position at Ryan. If you currently work at Ryan and want to get out you need to take it upon yourself to try to get involved in other tasks beyond the glorified data entry you are probably doing.

The money is not good for the hours required. Salaries are below market and the bonuses are a joke. There are people that have made a lot of money at Ryan, but kind of like those diet commercials - those results are not typical. Consultants have to share 3% of the fee (so expect bonuses that are fractions of a percent), while managers, principals and marketing take big percentages.

Ryan does not care about consultants. Consultants are worker bees who do the busy work to get projects out the door to get principals paid. As a consultant you are replaceable and Ryan will gladly show you the door if you're ready to go. They will make no concessions for even the best of the best consultants. The truth is, they don't need to. Some college kid can learn your job in 6-8 months and for less money. The job is mindless and not difficult, but a lot of people don't survive because of the labor intensive nature of it.

The bonus nature of the compensation package also breeds a lot of greed, backstabbing and unethical behavior. Ryan thinks that these problems (specifically unethical behavior) exist because we aren't following the old way of doing things (very regimented, process heavy, follow a checklist). Thats not the problem. The problem is the kill or be killed environment YOU created with the low base salary compensation model.

And to top it all off, my last paycheck was sent via a wire transfer and not the regular ACH payroll deposit. This caused me to be hit with a $15 fee from my bank, as is typical with wire transfers. I nicely asked Ryan to reimburse me the $15 fee over a month ago and they have ignored me and not paid me back (even when I finally got a hold of someone to tell me that they would). Enjoy that $15 Ryan, hope it was worth it.

Advice to Management

Stop writing fake reviews on Glassdoor.

10. Connect the dots

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ryan does have Great Benefits

Cons

Ryan's managers are out of touch

Advice to Management

Learn People Skills, the tools are there to be great, but the awards don't mean a thing with so many out of touch managers.

Fast Growing Company with lots of potential

Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Structure of the company is very conducive to advancement, bonus structure can be very lucrative if you're on a good team. Friendly people, flexible work environment

Cons

Getting on a good team is important, this can be based on the luck of the draw sometimes. Flexible work environment ultimately just makes you more accountable.

Advice to Management

Give credit where it is due and don't let anyone feel like their work went unnoticed, overall it is great so just keep it up.

RSS Feed </> Embed