Ryan, LLC Reviews

Reset

Focused Learning Areas, Limited Career Path

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ryan, LLC (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can learn about niche areas of the tax world. They are willing to hire inexperienced people so it can be a good first job.

Cons

Like another reviewer, i've become very disillusioned about working at Ryan. Work life balance? Please. Most of the people I know at this company are not happy and don't feel like they have a work life balance. It's long hours of mind numbingly dull work. No time is sacred to Ryan employees. Be prepared to be accessible at all times, even on PTO. I believe the reason that Ryan wins so many awards is that people are scared to say what they really think to management. There is a real culture of paranoia at Ryan. At our recent annual meeting Brint Ryan read negative comments from Glassdoor to the entire company. These (very legitimate) complaints were all met with "I respect your opinion but... " *INSERT REASON WHY COMPLAINT IS WRONG*. There was not one genuine moment of humility. Ryan pretends they want open and honest feedback, but unless you agree with their "vision" it won't be welcomed. I was lucky enough to have a manager that allowed some work from home. Most people aren't, yet Ryan touts this as their culture. They use it as a tool to get people into Ryan and it's disingenuous and deceptive. If you are going to play the culture game and throw around buzzwords, you better be able to back it up. If a manager doesn't follow myRyan they should be F I R E D as this is counter to your culture - which you claim is so important to you, right? But, the thing is, Ryan does not have a real cohesive culture that is anything more than a marketing ploy. Seems like someone in HR read a case study of Zappos and decided they needed to have a "culture" so they could attract talent. They also have unlimited PTO for salaried employees. This should tell you loud and clear what little opportunity you will have to take PTO. There is only one path and thats consultant to management. You won't learn anything outside of your practice area and won't be very marketable when you go and look for a new job, even if its in tax. You can go into other tax careers, but your options will be limited by the narrow focused nature of the tax consultant position at Ryan. If you currently work at Ryan and want to get out you need to take it upon yourself to try to get involved in other tasks beyond the glorified data entry you are probably doing. The money is not good for the hours required. Salaries are below market and the bonuses are a joke. There are people that have made a lot of money at Ryan, but kind of like those diet commercials - those results are not typical. Consultants have to share 3% of the fee (so expect bonuses that are fractions of a percent), while managers, principals and marketing take big percentages. Ryan does not care about consultants. Consultants are worker bees who do the busy work to get projects out the door to get principals paid. As a consultant you are replaceable and Ryan will gladly show you the door if you're ready to go. They will make no concessions for even the best of the best consultants. The truth is, they don't need to. Some college kid can learn your job in 6-8 months and for less money. The job is mindless and not difficult, but a lot of people don't survive because of the labor intensive nature of it. The bonus nature of the compensation package also breeds a lot of greed, backstabbing and unethical behavior. Ryan thinks that these problems (specifically unethical behavior) exist because we aren't following the old way of doing things (very regimented, process heavy, follow a checklist). Thats not the problem. The problem is the kill or be killed environment YOU created with the low base salary compensation model. And to top it all off, my last paycheck was sent via a wire transfer and not the regular ACH payroll deposit. This caused me to be hit with a $15 fee from my bank, as is typical with wire transfers. I nicely asked Ryan to reimburse me the $15 fee over a month ago and they have ignored me and not paid me back (even when I finally got a hold of someone to tell me that they would). Enjoy that $15 Ryan, hope it was worth it.

Advice to Management

Stop writing fake reviews on Glassdoor.

2. Connect the dots

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ryan does have Great Benefits

Cons

Ryan's managers are out of touch

Advice to Management

Learn People Skills, the tools are there to be great, but the awards don't mean a thing with so many out of touch managers.

Fast Growing Company with lots of potential

Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Structure of the company is very conducive to advancement, bonus structure can be very lucrative if you're on a good team. Friendly people, flexible work environment

Cons

Getting on a good team is important, this can be based on the luck of the draw sometimes. Flexible work environment ultimately just makes you more accountable.

Advice to Management

Give credit where it is due and don't let anyone feel like their work went unnoticed, overall it is great so just keep it up.

MyRyan is a joke

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brint Ryan is a great leader. Excellent concept with MyRyan.

Cons

Majority of the Principals don't believe in MyRyan. Hiring the best of the best is non-existence. College education is not a necessity for hiring or for promotion.

Advice to Management

MyRyan needs to be consistent throughout the firm. Please hire people with college education or at least basic math and computer skills.

We work lots of hours, but the team environment makes it worth the work.

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

Team environment, younger company, good corporate structure, and we also get all the resources needed to be effective at our jobs.

Cons

The work can be boring and not very challenging at some points. Hard to make good bonuses if your team isn't assigned the good projects.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have more one on one time with the lower level employees. It would really help career develpoment.

7. Associate Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

Ryan has a great flexible work environment.

Cons

Pay is much less than at other firms

8. Look out here we come ! Ryan is growing at an unprecedented rate which makes for a fluid and exciting environment.

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

World class services give us the edge going to market. We are redefining how corp. tax services are provided. We have a completely flexible work environment and is results based on performance toward preset goals. Work life balance is REAL at Ryan. You are accountable to your goals and superior results.

Cons

The rules don't always apply to everyone and there are no bones made about this, it's a fact of life at Ryan. To get to 1 Billion, rules should be applied universally. Generally speaking there is a lower than market starting base salary.

Advice to Management

Account ownership rules need to universally be applied to all principals and service professionals alike and in all markets (including Canada!) Long term Ryan Principals are sitting on dormant prospects which are potentially large clients. This inactivity holds us all back. We are talking multiple years plus that they are sitting on accounts. We should have reasonable guidelines in place. They need to know the clock is ticking on their (in)activity and progress levels. Competition is healthy for everyone.

Director Sales

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Solid Company, Not going away. National presence. Allows for self directed management. Pay is competitive. Leader in various tax realms.

Cons

Large company requiring most all significant decisions to be decided by a few creating significant bottlenecks company wide. Policy set in place by leadership tends to stifle the progress of the worker bees.

Advice to Management

Distribute decision making abilities further down the food chain giving all employees equal access to success. Empower lower level with decision making power.

Poor SR Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MYRYAN program The CEO of the company has a vision ..

Cons

Poor Leadership Underdeveloped staff Divided offices between Buckhead and Atlanta

Advice to Management

Develop better leadership skills Communicate!! People are not tools to step on to get to the TOP!

Top-Heavy, Revenue-Hungry, Going Down

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

There is a relatively flexible work environment, but don't be dooped by recruitin. You're going to have to put in some major hours, especially at the onset. Additionally, the benefits and base pay are pretty good, but not industry leaders by any stretch of the imagination.

Cons

I used to love this company. I was so proud to work here. Now I just feel completely disillusioned about the future. We made it to Fortunes top companies, but I bet it's just a flash in the pan. The company is only focused on revenue. Client satisfaction and leadership are going down the drain. The principal group is a joke. All they care about are selling new projects, not reviewing or teaching. The CEO is a hypocrit. He preaches that we should see clients at least every 6 months, but I'm on some of his active accounts he hasn't visited in years, and not for a lack of trying to get him there. There is a very strong do as I say and not as I do attitude among senior management. Staff is just cranking out projects to try and meet ridiculous benchmarks and screw ups are happening over and over. I don't expect I'll be here much longer, and I don't anticipate I'll work with Ryan after I leave.

Advice to Management

Scratch it and start over. The model doesn't work anymore. The team structure doesn't work anymore. The old dogs sitting on clients and road blocking your bright, enthusiastic principals doesn't work anymore. The BD guys selling projects for the sake of selling (ie. Sales tax reviews for mall kiosks) doesn't work anymore

RSS Feed </> Embed